Compliant Coffee Creamer!!

I'm so excited! Califa farms has coffee creamer now that is compliant! I saw it listed on Throve Market, and then found that my whole foods carried it! Coffee has been my only really craving, and almond milk just doesn't cut it. Im hoping I'll like it, Im trying it tomorrow morning. 

Califa Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk Coffee Creamer (32oz.): Almondmilk (Water, Almonds), Coconut Cream, Sunflower, Lecithin, Natural Flavors, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Potassium Citrate, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum

They also have a smaller one

Califa Farms Better Unsweetened Better Half Creamer(16.9oz): Almondmilk (water, almonds), Coconut Cream, Natural Flavors, Calcium Carbonate, Sunflower Lecithin, Sea Salt, Potassium Citrate, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

and thennnn....

In the area where they have the bottled drinks at whole foods, they have a pre-made coffee with creamer!

Califa Farms Black and white cold brew coffee with almond milk(10.5oz.): Cold Brew Coffee (Water, Coffee Extract), Almondmilk (Water, Almonds), Coconut Cream, Potassium Citrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

So excited!

Just bought this today!  This is my first forum post as I am on day 6!  Whole foods in MN carries many Califia products.  I found their creamers on my own (looking for silk) and was so proud I knew to choose the unsweetened one!  Texted my whole30 confidant and we both agreed it was in the clear!  Came on here to double check--very happy it is.  Cant wait to have creamy coffee tomorrow!

guys, sorry to be a rain on your parade person here...but: the Califa Farms Coffee Creamer is only just barely compliant. It's not a great choice on a plan where we want you to be eating real foods. Have you tried regular coconut milk or almond milk in your coffee? maybe one without six different additives?

you get to decide where to draw the line with this one, just know there are better choices you could make when you are ready.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying homemade coconut milk (coconut + boiling water, soak, blend, strain) with my coffee, but it sounds like you might be wanting something with more body? Medowsweet is on to something with the canned coconut milk, if that's what you're hankering for. Although bear in mind, that thickness often comes at least in part from guar gum, a thickening agent, although there are one or two brands without it.

I personally found that coconut milk and oil was too fatty in my coffee, but I use the Califa Unsweetened Almondmilk (not the creamer) and I am fine with the fact that it is only borderline compliant. I would rather be able to stick to Whole30, than fall off because of something silly like my morning coffee.

• Moderators

I personally found that coconut milk and oil was too fatty in my coffee, but I use the Califa Unsweetened Almondmilk (not the creamer) and I am fine with the fact that it is only borderline compliant. I would rather be able to stick to Whole30, than fall off because of something silly like my morning coffee.

Have you tried just coconut milk and not with the coconut oil?  I have attempted coconut oil in my coffee a few times in a pinch and it's not my thing at all.

If this item tho is what is keeping you going for the 30 days then that's fine, just know that there ARE better things out there so keep your eye out and if possible in your journey that you can find something a bit more clean and it's within your budget and desire, I would encourage you to switch :)

If you can find Real Thai coconut milk in the carton, it doesn't have any additives at all and it mixes with coffee very easily and stays mixed, especially with a milk frother (my new favorite toy). ;)

I got my weekly Whole30 email and there was a section about new Whole30 approved products --- and there is a new compliant creamer on the market called NUTPODS. It is a combination of coconut cream and almond milk...and comes in hazelnut or vanilla. Unsweetened. You can order it from their website directly (nutpods.com) or from Amazon.  I usually add ghee to my coffee blended with almond milk and cinnamon.  But I've been using the Nutpods the last few days and it is great stuff...add a pinch of cinnamon. SOO Good!

Have you tried just coconut milk and not with the coconut oil?  I have attempted coconut oil in my coffee a few times in a pinch and it's not my thing at all.

If this item tho is what is keeping you going for the 30 days then that's fine, just know that there ARE better things out there so keep your eye out and if possible in your journey that you can find something a bit more clean and it's within your budget and desire, I would encourage you to switch :)

I have! I don't love Coconut Milk in coffee, but since we have also tried Coconut Cream and its delicious! We found that we had to buy it at Trader Joes to find one that was Whole30 approved and still affordable. 

On another note, I had a cappucino the other day with frothed coconut milk and it was BONKERS good.

• 9 months later...

Really?! I'm just courios as to how perfect your Whole30 was? As far as I was told there is no such thing as a perfect Whole30. The first time I did the Whole30 I learned to drink my coffee black because I was told too but, coffee with compliant creamer in no way makes me emotionally eat or crave sugar. I'm a mother to a 7th month old who also works. Coffee with compliant  creamer is used for survival at this point. 

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Xcgurlygirl said:

Really?! I'm just courios as to how perfect your Whole30 was? As far as I was told there is no such thing as a perfect Whole30. The first time I did the Whole30 I learned to drink my coffee black because I was told too but, coffee with compliant creamer in no way makes me emotionally eat or crave sugar. I'm a mother to a 7th month old who also works. Coffee with compliant  creamer is used for survival at this point. 

Okay, she didn't say her Whole30 was perfect, she was mearly doing the job she was asked to do, which was to help people get the best out of their Whole30.  She's not wrong, there are 'creamers' with less additives out there, but if this is the one you choose, that's fine and you get to make that choice.

Please remember that the moderators here are volunteers who do this in our spare time.... we're not here to attack anyone and we prefer not to be attacked back.

On 3/25/2017 at 8:37 PM, kirkor said:

Absolutely! I read the rules of 2009 and followed them to an extreme tee the first time around. I recently read this post from the creator of Whole30 so I think its okay if I pour a little in my coffee on my second round of Whole30. Thanks for the motivation @Kirkor. 

• melissa_hartwigThe @whole30 team has getting a LOT of questions about this lately, so they asked for my official position on compliant coffee creamers (like @califiafarms Unsweetened Almond Milk Creamer or @nutpods Unsweetened Creamers):
    #
    When I wrote the #Whole30 rules in 2009 ("drinking your coffee black is. Not. Hard."), I didn't intend for the Whole30 to be a black-coffee-bootcamp, nor was I trying to deprive you of things that are tasty just to be a hard-ass. Back then, compliant almond or coconut milk creamers simply didn't exist (neither did the idea of "bulletproof" coffee)! So in 2009, if you weren't using milk or Cremora, you were drinking your coffee black, and that was that.
    #
    Now, finding a compliant (unsweetened/carrageenan-free) store-bought coconut/almond milk or creamer is easy, even at a "regular" grocery store. And since I'm not trying to take something tasty away from you for no good reason, if you prefer your coffee, tea, or @criobru a little milky, that's totally fine with me. 
    #
    Now, might this drive you to drink more coffee, to the detriment of your health? Maybe - so take some personal responsibility here, people. But I will say the impetus to drink more coffee isn't usually the cream, it's the sweet hit that comes from adding sugar or artificial sweeteners. So don't try to recreate THAT, even with compliant ingredients, m'kay? Skirting the rules by whipping up a date paste--that's definitely not in the spirit of the Whole30. #melissasays#whole30rulesvsrecommendations#WWMHD

Just a suggestion -- there is a brand of coconut milk (and coconut cream) from the Philippines called Aroy-D.  They sell cans of coconut milk.  However, what is more interesting is that they also sell aseptic cartons of coconut milk.  

There are important differences.  One, the aseptic contain NO additives.  100 percent coconut milk.

Another -- the very nature of canning cooks the contents of its food for preservation.  The asceptic processing is more high tech and commonly involves the packaging being created and then filled in the same sterile environment. This means the food product going in to the asceptic packaging only needs to be heat pasturized for 5-10 seconds, rather than several minutes.  The science is amazing.

Since the product does not need prolonged exposure to high heat and pressure, more nutrients are preserved.  Plus, it tastes better.  MUCH better, much fresher.  There is no coconut milk in a can anywhere that tastes as good as this stuff.

Minor drawback?  The food in aseptic cartons have a shorter shelf life.   So if you're prepping for a zombie apocalypse -- or even a big storm -- don't stash aseptic cartons of coconut milk in the cellar, expecting them to be good 12 months from now.   But if you buy from a store who turns over their stock regularly, it might be good 3-6 months from now.

Right. Coffee. We were talking about coffee.   I never liked canned coconut miilk in my coffee.  But I LOVE this milk in my coffee.  Sometimes I thin it out with some water or almond milk, but I usually just drink it as is.    It also freezes very well.   

100% coconut milk, 100% compliance, and delicious.  WIN!!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F512Z1CMhBdL.jpg&f=1

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2016 at 6:51 PM, Tamara21 said:

Califa Farms Better Unsweetened Better Half Creamer(16.9oz): Almondmilk (water, almonds), Coconut Cream, Natural Flavors, Calcium Carbonate, Sunflower Lecithin, Sea Salt, Potassium Citrate, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

This creamer is a godsend!!!! My first whole30 was a year ago and I cut out coffee alltogether for the first two weeks.  Then I found this little gem at our healthfood store and IT has changed my life!  Been using it ever since - now I'm on my second whole30 and I have to say, it is so much more tolerable allowing myself to have coffee with this creamer.  None of the ingredients are not allowed.  It might be a grey area, but IMO, completely worth it, if if makes me feel less deprived and able to do everything else 100%! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived