Melatonin

Shanneva

I was taking Melatonin before starting the Whole30 last Thursday, but stopped because I wasn't sure it was compliant. Now, I'm having real difficulty sleeping. The Melatonin I have lists:

Cellulose (Plant origin) Gelatin, n-Acetyl-5-Methoxytryptamine, Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate 

Are those ingredients OK? 

Whether or not the ingredients are okay we'd actually recommend a magnesium supplement over melatonin as prolonged use of melatonin can actually inhibit your body's ability to produce it on it's own.

So maybe think about replacing the melatonin with a magnesium supplement & keeping your starchy veg for meal 3 - there is a lot of anecdotal eveidence that this also aids sleep.

That said this one does contain some magnesium, and the rest of the ingredients look fine.

• 1 year later...
On 5/17/2016 at 2:58 PM, jmcbn said:

Whether or not the ingredients are okay we'd actually recommend a magnesium supplement over melatonin as prolonged use of melatonin can actually inhibit your body's ability to produce it on it's own.

So maybe think about replacing the melatonin with a magnesium supplement & keeping your starchy veg for meal 3 - there is a lot of anecdotal eveidence that this also aids sleep.

That said this one does contain some magnesium, and the rest of the ingredients look fine.

My magnesium supplement has the following ingredients:

microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose, silica, dicalcium phosphate, vegetable magnesium stearate, titatnium dioxide, vegetable glycerin.

I have no idea if any of those are compliant. Feedback would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Stephanie

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, hubbs3211 said:

My magnesium supplement has the following ingredients:

microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose, silica, dicalcium phosphate, vegetable magnesium stearate, titatnium dioxide, vegetable glycerin.

I have no idea if any of those are compliant. Feedback would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Stephanie

Have you googled any of these to see what they are?  Many of them if you google 'whole30 + item' you'll probably even get an answer here on the forum.

One of them is a 'sneaky sugar' so see this helpful pdf to help you determine if this product is compliant

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-sugar.pdf

27 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Have you googled any of these to see what they are?  Many of them if you google 'whole30 + item' you'll probably even get an answer here on the forum.

One of them is a 'sneaky sugar' so see this helpful pdf to help you determine if this product is compliant

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-sugar.pdf

Yes, I have looked up several and was unsuccessful, so I decided to post here. I also asked Instagram but did not get any help there  

Since you mentioned the sneaky sugar; I see “glycerin” on that list. Is that the same thing as vegetable glycerin? 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, hubbs3211 said:

Yes, I have looked up several and was unsuccessful, so I decided to post here. I also asked Instagram but did not get any help there  

Since you mentioned the sneaky sugar; I see “glycerin” on that list. Is that the same thing as vegetable glycerin? 

Most of the items on your list have threads as these are commonly occurring items in supplements.

Vegetable glycerin is still sugar, the manufacturer just notes 'vegetable' to make it sound healthy but it's out.

Archived