Can I just say WT@$#!

I was surprised when I read the "sugar in salt" comments, and when I found that my salt contained dextrose, I decided to do some research.

According to Livestrong: "Morton Salt became the first company to add both iodine and dextrose to its standard table salt in 1924. The company added dextrose to stabilize iodide, a nutrient essential for human health." ... "According to MayoClinic.com nutritionist Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D., the differences between noniodized, dextrose-free sea salt products and traditional iodized table salt include taste, level of processing and iodine content. She notes that iodized table salt usually undergoes more refining to remove trace metals and often has added anti-clumping agents. Sea salt contains nutritionally insignificant amounts of trace minerals that add flavor, but does not usually offer a dietarily relevant amount of naturally occurring iodine."

According to Morton Salt: "Dextrose is added to stabilize the iodide. Iodine is vital to the proper functioning of the thyroid gland and the prevention of goiter. Actually, the amount of dextrose in salt is so small that it is dietetically insignificant. Morton®Iodized Table Salt contains 0.04 percent dextrose or 40 milligrams per 100 grams of salt."

So basically, the very tiny amount of dextrose added is necessary to keep the iodide stabilized. Any iodized salt will contain dextrose.

So basically, the very tiny amount of dextrose added is necessary to keep the iodide stabilized. Any iodized salt will contain dextrose.

yup. BUT you don't need iodized salt to have iodine in your diet. I stick to sea salt and include some sea vegetables regularly as well (sea snax FTW!) and feel pretty good about that choice.

• 2 weeks later...

TUNA?! SO nasty.

Really.... I find nothing as tasty or soothing after a hard day as a nice hot cup of tuna tea! I just hook a slice of Ahi onto a bait hook and let her steep for 3-4 min..... Yummmmmmmmmm......

I apologize in advance to anyone who barfs.... LOL

Just checked my tuna, it contains soy. :( Any suggestions on brands?

I did find one at Meijers recently but can't remember the name off of top of my head. It was plain tuna, not albacore, gold can....argh! I have to hit the store tonight and will zip down that aisle to see what the name is and post it.

Time to take it up with your government! They pay folks to grow corn crops (have done for years) and in many of your packed/tinned/botlted goods you will find high fructose corn syrup. The US gov. have allowed most foods in the US to be laden with unnecessary sugars. Now you all have a sweet tooth and all the illnessess associated with obesity. Time the governments around the world got on the same page and made proper labelling mandatory.

• 4 weeks later...

Just checked my tuna, it contains soy. :( Any suggestions on brands?

Costco's Kirkland Signature, Solid White Albacore packed in water.

Also, there's a type at the grocery, I'll look when I'm at work as to the brand. It's small cans, a 3-pack -- look for the "Low Sodium" -- that's the only one I've found sans soy or "broth" addition.

I am allergic to corn, soy and wheat intolerant so have always had to check labels even before this whole30. It is scarry the crap that is out there in the food supply and corn is in almost everything!

I just had the chance to review Choice Organic Teas on my blog www.runfastmama.com and LOVE them! ALL PURE ingredients and real spices added. Nothing else, check them out if you are looking for some tasty, fragrant tea!

As far as salt, I use Real Salt from Whole Foods or TJ Pink Himalyan salt. Nothing else added either.

Also, there's a type at the grocery, I'll look when I'm at work as to the brand. It's small cans, a 3-pack -- look for the "Low Sodium" -- that's the only one I've found sans soy or "broth" addition.

Starkist, Low Sodium, Chunk Light Tuna in Water, pkg of 3, 3-oz cans.

Seriously have not ever considered looking at my salt label. This is not a deal breaker for me...I'll just start using my kosher salt...but seriously...sugar is one of the most addictive substances known to man...maybe that is why so many are 'salt-aholics'?!

Archived