Portion sizes?

Puckertoe

Not sure where to post this q.Do I really have to eat three or more when training, palm sized protein portions a day? I'm 5'2" " tall with huge square palm...8oz burger size. Pre cooking. That's around 2lb of meat or egg eq. A day. I just can't afford to feed myself that much let alone the rest of the family. The cheapest chicken is £5/lb. Let alone wild salmon at £17/lb. And scallops interstellar.

It seems a bit OTT.feet also enormous too. Width off the charts.

My hands are way bigger than my 5'8" " husband's.

I know you keep saying palm sized, but if it really is palm sized then I'm going to have to give this up or be bankrupted I think.

• Moderators

Hey there;

The palm size is a guideline... if you have palms that are disproportionate to your particular body size, then it might not be a measurement that works... if your hubby's paw seems more in line with what yours should be, then use his. The idea is to get 4-5 hours between meals without needing to snack so play around with the sizes a bit...

Phew! Thanks. Ok that seems more doable, I was getting a bit worried that I was going to go outside my budget.

I know I can go forever on what I'm eating now, personally I've found that the extra fat is making soooo much difference to how long I'm full for.

I compared hands with my friend at coffee yesterday, hers are so much smaller, she was gobsmacked by mine.That's what got me thinking.

You obviously have a decent butcher so you could always ask about him prepping cheaper cuts of meat for you.

I regularly get a beef heart for making a stew in my slow cooker - £4 for what would cost £14 in equivalent steak pieces and my butcher get's rid of all the tubes & valves for me & cuts it into nice little cubes all ready to cook - and there are loads of good recipes out there (plus organ meat is a nutritional power house).

I'm also a fan of shin & brisket, and have recently acquired a taste for liver - all cheap as chips!

I've used the same butcher now for a few years and have struck up a good relationship with him.

I pass the shop pretty much every day so he'll call me in and ask if I'm interested in any cheap cuts he has in the fridges, or I'll call in and ask if he has anything available - then I plan my meals for the week around that. He'll also gives me bones for making broth, and is pretty good at advising how best to cook certain cuts of meat.

The beef heart they order for me from the farm a day or two in advance.

I'd suggest just making friends with your butcher.

My main problem at the moment is that my slow cooker, stock pot etc is in storage and technically I'm homeless until our house purchase goes through in July or August otherwise I'd be doing cheap cuts and stock, whole chickens etc.nbut I can't at the moment. No freezer either so can't buy my usual frozen wild salmon from Aldi and save.

The pure quantities are just huge..who eats 2lb of meat aday?..not even a hunter gatherer eats that much on a daily basis

I'm actually leaving most of my dinner and lunch as I can't actually eat that much food. Don't waste it but still it's wateful to use gas to cook that much and not eat it myself.

I'm just going to continue to eat the quantities that feel right for me I think.

Archived