Learning about FODMAPs

After a surprising reaction to a dish containing honey and some other FODMAP elements (all appear to be fructans), I've decided to keep some notes on FODMAPs here, so I can keep track as I have also previously had reactions to agave nectar, HFCS and products containing very high amounts of fructose (all manufactured, higher than in nature).

Not doing a reintroduction as such, but trying to review what elements are FODMAPs (and which type) in what I'm already eating and whether I feel better removing them, or if I just need to keep an eye on load.

I think I also need to try low-FODMAP foods to see if I feel better. Through my 30 days, I discovered I can't eat onions, garlic, or peppers without getting heartburn. Now it's been discovered that GERD is caused by inflammation, not acid in the stomach. This makes sense to me.

The idea of going low-FODMAP is daunting!

• 2 weeks later...

I do seem to have trouble with some of the fructans in high volume (have always had trouble with HFCS, makes me feel quite ill), but seem to be fine with garlic and onions, confusing. May still be about load. Will keep notes here from time to time.

Archived