For anyone who eats RX bars, there's a shipping delay of some kind for orders made through their website, and as a result, they are offering free shipping and 10% off orders, plus if you put in whole30 as a discount code, you get an additional 10% off your order!

I'm not sure how long this will last, but I got a really good deal on my order today (5/20/16) FYI.

Is it my imagination or does the self-righteousness/snark get a little thick when the subject of packaged bars come up? Yes, people need to understand that they shouldn't be eating these bars regularly on a Whole30. And yes, Whole30ers need to be prodded to define "emergency" more narrowly.

But the original poster is talking about air travel, which is one of the emergency examples that is often used on these boards ("stuck on the tarmac for hours"). Who hasn't had a flight delayed, rerouted, etc.?

I don't think there's anything wrong with planning for an emergency. I always thought it was a good thing to be prepared for life's unexpected challenges. And sometimes a compliant bar might make the most sense for someone's situation.

That is all.

• Moderators

Yes, I agree with you... the tough love can be a bit more tough than love sometimes... I think the original poster is also going to be done her Whole30 by then and planning for an emergency with a clean packaged bar is a lot better than hoovering donuts in an airport because that's all that can be found... 

We definitely discourage use of these during whole30 for anything other than emergencies and hiking for instance would be something that you're planning to do and can plan to take food... if you also take a bar or two for a 'lost in the woods, ate all my food already' emergency, that would definitely qualify.

Also, after Whole30, you can eat these for every meal of the day if you were really driven to... we wouldn't recommend it but you can ride your own bike in whatever manner you would like...

QuilterInVA, on 26 May 2016 - 7:12 PM, said:

Prepare by taking real food. Travel and hiking are not emergencies.

Yes, I am going to be done with my Whole 30 by the time I travel, by air, from NY to Utah. I'd definitely rather eat clean protein bars than the typical crap commonly available in airports (fast food burger places, Starbucks, gross airport pizza, convenience market with chips/sodas and candy). In general, as a person who doesn't eat meat, my options are already limited. And there's only so much I can jam into my carry-on before I worry about getting a backache from the weight, not to mention that lots of the stuff I typically eat wouldn't fare very well if left out for hours and hours, even if TSA would allow me to bring it (tins of tuna/sardines packed in olive oil, mayonnaise, coconut cream, pan seared salmon filets, koimo and traditional sweet potatoes, boiled eggs). I've tried bringing a jar of almond butter and apple sauce through security in the past and have been made to toss them both, so there goes the coconut cream, tins of fish, and mayo, which are similar in consistency to what I've been required to discard. And old warm boiled eggs or pan-seared salmon sitting out all day for a five hour flight plus two plus hours of wait time in the airport plus whatever delays might happen doesn't sound too appetizing. Cut up fruits and veggies and baked potatoes only go so far when there's little protein or fat to pair them with, and I try to limit nuts, as advised by the w30 recommendations.

Same concepts go for hiking. While there's no TSA to limit what I take into Zion National Park, I don't think anything that contains prepared egg, mayonnaise or cooked fish will be a good idea to cart around in 115*F weather for 8-10 hours. Even tins of fish, while they wouldn't spoil, sure wouldn't be so wonderful to carry around all day with me on the hike back to the parking lot. And again, limiting nuts is a personal choice, and just relying on cut up fruits and veggies is a bit limiting as far as providing energy for strenuous activities. So, eating a higher quality "clean" protein bar is a much more attractive choice to me than nothing at all or something I might get sick from. I'd be more afraid of the diarrhea (and dehydration that comes with it) from eating spoiled food than from the concerns with eating an "emergency" protein bar.

Anyhow, the original post wasn't meant to be a message asking for permission, comment or judgement. It was just an announcement that there was a limited time sale going on regarding a w30 compliant product. Take it or leave it.

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2016 at 3:07 PM, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:
For anyone who eats RX bars, there's a shipping delay of some kind for orders made through their website, and as a result, they are offering free shipping and 10% off orders, plus if you put in whole30 as a discount code, you get an additional 10% off your order!

Thanks for sharing this! I imagine these keep for a long time, so a good thing to have on hand. They're dang expensive to buy one or two at Whole Foods. 

I ordered a box of (compliant) RX bars before my Whole30, not really understanding what they were.

One day in the middle of my Whole30 I had some schedule crises that resulted in my eat one of the RX bars before going off to my Pilates session.

The things are vile! They are a product, NOT a food. They contain egg whites (a ridiculous protein source), dates, cashews, almonds, etc but from my point of view I'd be so much better off just eating the damn nuts. I just personally prefer eating food.

And because of the dates, again, for me, they are way too sweet--15 grams of sugar!

I'm not faulting folks for eating them, I'm just cautioning those who aren't familiar with them away from them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 0:28 PM, ArtFossil said:

I ordered a box of (compliant) RX bars before my Whole30, not really understanding what they were.

One day in the middle of my Whole30 I had some schedule crises that resulted in my eat one of the RX bars before going off to my Pilates session.

The things are vile! They are a product, NOT a food. They contain egg whites (a ridiculous protein source), dates, cashews, almonds, etc but from my point of view I'd be so much better off just eating the damn nuts. I just personally prefer eating food.

And because of the dates, again, for me, they are way too sweet--15 grams of sugar!

I'm not faulting folks for eating them, I'm just cautioning those who aren't familiar with them away from them. 

I tried the apple cinnamon one, just more out of curiosity than anything else (I was not on a whole30 at the time) and I thought it was rather good. I didn't find it too sweet either. The texture was a bit odd, but overall it wasn't bad. I prefer having an Epic bar around for emergency protein, but they have added sugar in them, so they are out for whole30 (at least the Bison one, which is my favorite, and one of the few I can eat because it is Nightshade free) so the RX bars would probably be my second choice.

• 2 months later...

Can some one explain to me how any "bar" can be compliant? I don't want to be seen as pedantic, but thought that maybe a bar was completely out. Last week I had an "emergency", I went to the supermarket in a very small town. All I could eat was an apple and some walnuts. You mean to say I could have had a " bar" and not start again at day one?

• Administrators

Hi @puckertoe - most RX bars, larabars and epic bars are compliant as long as the ingredients are compliant. They are, however, only compliant in an absolute emergency. The fact that you were in a grocery store and able to buy apple and walnuts means that you weren't really having an emergency. ;) It's not a cause for re-start to use a bar if you had it in the bottom of your bag and find yourself trapped on the interstate in gridlock for 6 hours. But that's really the only kind of emergency that they are good for. 

49 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi @puckertoe - most RX bars, larabars and epic bars are compliant as long as the ingredients are compliant. They are, however, only compliant in an absolute emergency. The fact that you were in a grocery store and able to buy apple and walnuts means that you weren't really having an emergency. ;) It's not a cause for re-start to use a bar if you had it in the bottom of your bag and find yourself trapped on the interstate in gridlock for 6 hours. But that's really the only kind of emergency that they are good for. 

Ha-ha. For me personally I think that it would be SWYPO. If I kept a bar in my bag for emergencies then I think it would be suspect. Surly I should have had a bag of nuts.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, ArtFossil said:

IMG_0326.GIF

Ha. I still keep some around, and I know that when I buy them, I'd prefer to get them on sale. I'm sure others feel the same. To be honest, the ones I have are getting kind of hard since I've had them for several months, like maybe since my first W30 (I don't use them often, even when I'm not doing a w30), but I'm not going to replace them. If I ever do need to eat the ones I have, I'll try eating them hard and stale rather than spending more money on an expensive product that I rarely use.

Do you like the trinity of meat, fruit and nuts. You can eat them on salads.    

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/31868-quest-bars-and-shakeology/#comment-419836

The idea of using these bars as emergency food only is a RECOMMENDATION, not a rule. If you want to crumble a grass-fed, organic, low-sugar Epic Bar as extra protein in your salad, go for it.  -Melissa 

Archived