Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Migraines, psoriasis, and other funky symptoms can also be signs of detoxification (which is a good thing). After eating crappy, and then switching to wholesome foods, your body will definitely be releasing toxins and built-up accumulated waste… so stay the course and keep on keep in' on (but do seek medical advice when appropriate)!

PS Sorry to pop in here as an "outsider"... I've been tracking your group for inspiration and motivation, but don't have much time to post and comment. I'm also on Day 23 (of my 3rd Whole30 since June 2015). Good luck to you all... almost there! : )

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whew!  I haven't checked in for awhile so I'm trying to catch up on reading all that's been happening!  With school getting out I've had so much going on, and now I'm still catching up at work and at home.  I have to join the lurkers or at least the group staying around past the original end date, because I was not prepared for so many end-of-school celebrations and have to honestly say I did not get through that with flying colors.  I have a vacation coming up in a couple of weeks too, but I'm going to stay compliant until then and mostly compliant through it, then will start again.  Overall I feel so much better and am making this a lifestyle by having to extend it over and over, but doggoneit, why can't I seem to get through 30 consecutive days?  This has been such a fantastic and supportive group... thanks.   

The heat is good for appetite suppression, but I agree with Crimsann that cooking is not appealing.  Just give me a huge salad.   

iteach - I hope you and your dad are doing well.  

No worries popping in, vozelle -- glad you have been successful!      

Migraines, psoriasis, and other funky symptoms can also be signs of detoxification (which is a good thing). After eating crappy, and then switching to wholesome foods, your body will definitely be releasing toxins and built-up accumulated waste… so stay the course and keep on keep in' on (but do seek medical advice when appropriate)!

PS Sorry to pop in here as an "outsider"... I've been tracking your group for inspiration and motivation, but don't have much time to post and comment. I'm also on Day 23 (of my 3rd Whole30 since June 2015). Good luck to you all... almost there! : )

I'm glad you popped in!  Thanks for the insight.  :)

Ah the W30 life....I'm sitting here at my desk enjoying a salad with Epic bits while all around me people are frolicking with chocolate on chocolate cake with M&M's as decoration. 

It was homemade so I'm a bit sad not to have a tiny taste, but I think that much chocolate just about now would shoot me into another stratosphere.  I've been dealing with cell phone all day today.  There is a reason that the usually techie me has refused to keep one for years...and I've been reminded of some of those reasons repeatedly today!!!  My friends love to point out that while I've turned my nose up at contracts since pretty much the day they became a thing...I have none the less been with the same pre-pay cell service for 15 years. 

But...I COULD see other people if I wanted to.  And if the next 24 months are as fun as today was...I may beg my ex to take me back. 

Working on meal plan for next week, I think despite the heat...I'm going to go for the old favorite chocolate chili.  I may try that over salad for a summery swap and just see or at least go with a smaller portion as a side to a salad.  Then maybe shrimp "fajita" for dinners, basically just seasoned shrimp and big chunks of pepper/onion/zuchinni all sauteed with some chili spice and lime.  I may try to make a little of this dressing as a topper for that, I've made it before and if you like cilantro it's pretty fab!  http://www.tweetpotatopie.com/2014/07/green-goodness-dip-dressing-paleowhole.html    This means my weekend food prep is dump some stuff in a crockpot, make a salad dressing, chop some veggies and then do anything and everything I can think of that does not involve the kitchen.  No oven! 

Hi group,

I've been following along and am on day 23.  Today I had quite a number of bowel movements-almost diarrhea.  Do you think this is normal?  I'm also starting to think about reintroduction.  Do you think 2% fat Greek yogurt (Fage) is a good place to start?

Thanks for any input.  I've enjoyed your journeys.

Beth

I find this very interesting because last night I had to go to the emergency room for an abcess that came out of nowhere.  It started out as a small pimple and within 48 hours...bam, it became large, infection spreading to the surrounding area and I was running a fever.  The first thing I thought of was this post.  I am out of work for a few days.  Ugh.

On a lighter note it is day 24 and thank you hospital (not) because I of course had to get on a scale.  I did lose weight but I am not telling because I am waiting for July 1 for my official scale weigh in.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

If this ends up a double post, I'm sorry. My phone is messing up and I don't see my post.  I'm on the computer now.  

So, yesterday I was feeling poorly.  I think triggered by dealing with too much close work at the computer and going cross eyed.  But, could be I had a touch of what my youngest was sick with.  Anyhoo, I was craving sweets terribly all afternoon and evening.  At one point, I dozed off and had a dream that I drank 1/3 of a 2-liter of Coke. Then I remembered I was doing the Whole30, got mad at myself, and drank another 3rd!  That wouldn't have sounded good even if I was still drinking pop!  Thankfully, I think pop sounds horrible and I'm hopeful that I will never drink it again. 

I'm feeling much better this morning and had eggs baked into an avocado with a side of turkey sausage for breakfast.  I'm bummed that the pico de gallo I was going to put on top had gone bad.  I wonder if one of the kids introduced contaminant because it never goes bad on me.  No veggies for breakfast because I just didn't want anything else.  I hope I don't struggle all day like I did the day I forgot to add fat at breakfast.  I need to follow template meals to feel good and not crave, I think.  I guess I'll see how this no veggie breakfast affects me.  

Happy Day 24 everyone!

BigMomma, sorry about your abscess - wishing you a speedy recovery. That is interesting to think of our bodies as releasing toxins still at day 24. I guess that reinforces why it so important to get thru 30 days to really reset everything, and maybe even longer for some. 

Nothing really to report over here. Food prep is becoming very natural and I will say that I am NOT constantly thinking about "my next meal" anymore. For awhile there I felt like all I thought about was food, what I can eat, what I can't eat, what I will eat, what I want to try and make to eat - you get the point. It's nice to not be so food obsessed at this point. 

Have a great Friday Everyone!

Hi All,

Feeling pretty good today, though I was REALLY tired yesterday - almost felt like I was back at days 2-4. But woke up this morning feeling strong and awake, so hopefully the other day was a fluke. I also had a nice realization today - I haven't been rage-y at all since starting the Whole30! This was something I have been struggling with for most of my life - brief episodes of intense rage. I've never been able to figure out what the trigger was, and it was scary, especially once I had kids. I know that the intensity of my anger has frightened my babies a few times, and it literally makes me cry to think about it. I've tried counseling, meditation, exercise, and nothing really seemed to work. Then, as I was getting dressed this morning it suddenly hit me - I haven't felt super angry since I started this. !!!! And it isn't that I haven't been angry - I totally have - but not that horrible, rage-y, out-of-control feeling. Seriously, this feels like a miracle to me. And I can honestly say that if this is the ONLY thing I take away from this experience, it was totally totally totally worth it.

Beth D - I don't think diarrhea is "normal" at this stage, but then again it might have nothing to do with the food you are eating. I think I remember someone posting a while back that there is a whole string on the forums dedicated to bowel movements - maybe you can find some answers there? Sorry I can't be more help.

BigMomma - sorry to hear about your abcess - yowch! Hope it clears up quickly.

Crimsann - that dressing recipe looks yummy - I'll have to try it!

Tytbody - don't know if you are back yet, but hope everything went well with the surgery!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hello All...thank you for all the concern.  It is getting better with the help of some antibiotics, I just hate being somewhat incapacitated because of this.  Yesterday was ok eating wise, not much variety because I planned on doing some shopping but I remained compliant.

JT, about your rage, I feel you.  One of the first things I noticed was how I am now able to handle stressful situations.  For me I internalized everything but it showed on my face. Then I would get home from work and have a short fuse.  Now I feel much more laid back about things.  I would get mad first, now I think of the solution first.

Everything else is good, I hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Here it is, coming on day 26. Only 4 more after this.  I dont really want it to end, except I miss cheese and wine (Im sure I've said that waaaaay too many times).  I have a question:  I know we're supposed to reintroduce those foods we've been avoiding, but frankly, I dont really want anything to do with grains (except for beer) or sugar.  I feel so great right now and I'm  pretty sure they are the culprits of my addiction, cravings, lethargy and sluggishness.  

So, question is,what if I chose to continue avoiding grains and sugar in my diet?  I'm guessing its not recommended b/c cultural and familial demands will sometimes require I eat those things.  Anybody have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

So glad to see everyone doing so well!  I hope tytbody is too.  BigMomma get well too!

Here it is, coming on day 26. Only 4 more after this.  I dont really want it to end, except I miss cheese and wine (Im sure I've said that waaaaay too many times).  I have a question:  I know we're supposed to reintroduce those foods we've been avoiding, but frankly, I dont really want anything to do with grains (except for beer) or sugar.  I feel so great right now and I'm  pretty sure they are the culprits of my addiction, cravings, lethargy and sluggishness.  

So, question is,what if I chose to continue avoiding grains and sugar in my diet?  I'm guessing its not recommended b/c cultural and familial demands will sometimes require I eat those things.  Anybody have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

So glad to see everyone doing so well!  I hope tytbody is too.  BigMomma get well too!

I am wondering the same thing myself, except I can live without beer, but wine is Whole 'nother subject.  I don't want to change what I eat now but I know I will have situations that come up.  Are whole grains better than white bread?  Cheese-is there a better source, cow, sheep, or goat cheese?  I know even with veggies and fruit some options were better than others so I would assume that there are better options on the list of things that are non-compliant.

You don't have to reintroduce things that you don't miss. Or, wait until a social situation calls for you to consume it and then pay close attention to how you feel. I think I'm going to continue to avoid sweeteners other than honey. I will only reintroduce cheese and yogurt as far as dairy products. I'm considering not reintroducing grains, or maybe just wait until we are traveling and stop at Qdoba for lunch. We have no plans to travel so it could be a long time.

I need to hang on an extra 4 days because of my sip of water that turned out to be pop. I've been getting bored with food the past few days, going to look up some new recipes today.

We are almost there! I hope everyone is doing well.

BigMomma- glad you are improving, I hope you heal very quickly.

Tytbody, hope surgery went well, we miss you.

Good Morning Ladies, 

Going to put my 2 cents in here for whats it worth. Having done this twice before, the first time I felt like you did and didn't think I was going to add back everything and therefore didn't do a proper reintroduction. Problem with that is when you do go to a social setting and have a little of everything and if you don't feel right, you have no idea what food is the culprit and it really puts you back at square one and almost defeats the reason for doing the Whole 30 in the first place. I repeated a Whole 30 with a proper reintroduction and at least then I had the knowledge I needed to determine what foods I should avoid.

So... all that being said, here is my big dilemma. Tomorrow is my Birthday. Family wants to take me out to celebrate both my birthday and the end of my cancer treatments and good bill of health. So... with only 3 days left and knowing already what foods to avoid do I raise a glass of wine with my family a few days early. It's really weighing heavy on me because I hate not finishing things, but at the same time it's not likely the whole family will have a chance to all be together to celebrate anytime soon. Would love to hear your opinions on this. 

Happy Sunday all 

So... all that being said, here is my big dilemma. Tomorrow is my Birthday. Family wants to take me out to celebrate both my birthday and the end of my cancer treatments and good bill of health. So... with only 3 days left and knowing already what foods to avoid do I raise a glass of wine with my family a few days early. It's really weighing heavy on me because I hate not finishing things, but at the same time it's not likely the whole family will have a chance to all be together to celebrate anytime soon. Would love to hear your opinions on this. 

I get you on this.  I think it is easier to excuse some slips from the perfect 30 when it's not your first time through.  I'm probably the wrong person to answer this one because it would never occur to me that a glass of wine would be worth it...I'm not against drinking, it's just not even remotely part of my life.  I laughed when I saw the rules around alcohol the first time...I was far more likely to be bummed about no vanilla extract than anything else in that category. 

But if I sub in the idea of something I would be tempted by, I would have to say I think this comes down to what you were telling yourself when you started this month.  Guessing you had done the math and knew you would be on plan on your birthday so is it just the get-together that was unexpected?  If you thought ahead that "yeah I'm going to be doing a birthday on this" and were still determined to pick the start you did, then I kind of think you owe yourself to finish the 30.  It's one glass of wine balanced against the scheme of things, but again maybe too easy for me to say no to that.  What could you have in it's place and just enjoy the family time without cutting yourself short?  Anything?  Maybe, maybe not.  I wouldn't respect you one jot less if you opt to end on Day 27 considering you have done this before but I think it also needs to be said that you wouldn't have cut your first one short, I wouldn't have done it, and neither of us would want to encourage anyone doing this the first time to cut so much as an hour out of the 30 days. 

If you need to use me, that pain in the tush Crimsann who gave you a guilt trip, as an excuse to tell your family you love being with them and celebrating so many positive things but you are NOT raising a glass this time.  In fact not raising it, or raising a La Croix or something similar as a statement of how far you have come, could be exactly the way to go.  I think there could be a moment of incredible satisfaction in that gesture.  It symbolizes far better than any wine could what you have achieved.   

Either way, HAPPY (early) BIRTHDAY, I've enjoyed spending this month with you and I virtually toast your good health with pleasure!

I think only you truly know how you'll feel about it afterwards. Will you feel guilty, or regret not sticking it out? Or will you savor and enjoy it with family guilt free? Whatever you choose, we're here for you. Happy birthday!!!

Today was a challenge for me- at the fair all day! I felt like I was cheating just by smelling all those foods and watching people indulge in some crazy looking fair foods! It was definitely a success for me because non of the deep fried junk food looked or smelled appealing AT ALL. But, the sweets is what I struggled with. My friends all had ice cream and fresh mini donuts... it's like was hard. But I had packed my lunch and I ate it right away which helped a ton. I had fun overall, but probably won't go somewhere like that again while doing whole30! Day 26 almost done! We're almost there! I'm feeling ready for it to be over, but also really scared of falling into some of my old habits...

Susabella, I would stick the Whole30 out and be upset with family and friends if they pressured me to drink. Given that this is not your first time though, I understand the temptation.

Today had been hard for me. I don't like to cook and I'm tired of all the food prep. I just wanted to go to Culver's and get an olive burger (it's a MI thing) and cheese curds. I ate a giant bowl of California blend veggies and a piece of dry chicken instead. Sigh. Hopefully, motivation will return tomorrow.

Wow you guys are awesome. I had sort of decided before coming back to read responses that I was going to see this Whole 30 thru to the end!!

Crimsann, I haven't had a glass of wine since last summer - so it definitely isn't really a part of my life either lol. I certainly wouldn't put wine on my list of missed foods so I am going to take your advice and raise a glass of seltzer instead. And yes, the get together was unexpected and I think it's more about the end of the cancer treatments then my birthday so in keeping with the theme of good health I will make good choices and stay compliant!! :)

Earoti - great job at the fair today and thanks for your support!!

Suzi - I am sorry you had a hard day hang in there girl only a few more days. Thanks for your words of wisdom! I will be here with you till the end!!

well we are almost done!   I have been totally food compliant but not always eating as much veggies as I could

Today 

B= 3 scrambled eggs, 2 bacon, 2 cups of spinach and some tomatoes 

L = left over steak, mixed greens and spinach salad

Lara bar

d = chicken breast cooked in lemon, garlic and pepper, new potatoes, green beans, corn on the cob and cantaloupe for desert.

three days left**mod edit to remove scale discussion**.  Will start reintroducing grains first cause that is the only thing I am really missing.

Happy Birthday Susabella!!!!!

Almost done!  If any of you get the Daily I thought it was interesting to talk about a new commitment going forward.  Mine will be the 5K, which I know is longer than 30 days but if I do this it will be a HUGE accomplishment.  I will be 50 in November and I haven't exercised since college.  If other things come up along the way that I can do I will, but I need to finish this and start the next goal first.

It's back to work for me today, still a little sore from the medical episode last week so I will see how it goes today.

Have a great Monday!!!!

Getting together with other people has been a challenging time during  my W30.  The first time I went to play cards I got lots of questions about why I wasn't eating snacks and comments like "didn't I know that cutting out whole food groups (dairy, grains) is bad for you" or "everything in moderation is ok".  I stayed firm (as best I could).  Last night when I went to cards, I got no questions and the host provided olives and celery for some snacks-along with some bacon flavor cracker things.  So, maybe W30 influenced them a little bit?  I also got no questions and the evening went fine.  This was a relief, because I felt literally attacked the first night with all the questions.  

What I'm trying to say is that at your birthday, Susabella627, is that by doing things YOUR way, you may be influencing others and you might not see that right away, but over time.  Happy Birthday!  Each day is a gift.

Beth

Happy Birthday Susabella!  I hope your celebration goes well tonight and people are OK with your choice.  It is your celebration after all.  

Giant bowl of shredded carrots and zucchini with 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast.  Gotta get to work and have no lunch plans.  I hope to get home for lunch.  

• Moderators

well we are almost done!   I have been totally food compliant but not always eating as much veggies as I could

Today 

B= 3 scrambled eggs, 2 bacon, 2 cups of spinach and some tomatoes 

L = left over steak, mixed greens and spinach salad

Lara bar

d = chicken breast cooked in lemon, garlic and pepper, new potatoes, green beans, corn on the cob and cantaloupe for desert.

three days left **mod edit to remove scale discussion**.  Will start reintroducing grains first cause that is the only thing I am really missing.

Not weighing is a rule of the Whole30 and I'm sad to see that you've done this.  I'm editing your post to remove the scale results.

I'm reading everyone's posts and everyone is talking about the end of the month, reintroduction, and weighing ourselves....

I just want to say good job for making it this far and let's never sweat the small stuff.  I had a day where I went out for breakfast and thought I did so well with eggs and veggies...but didn't consider there is probably milk in with the eggs.  Did I die?  No.  Would someone else start over...maybe...but I chose to push forward.  Why?  Because something in the book resonates with me..."you are an adult"...it's up to me what I do.  I chose to start the program and I will continue how I want without completely falling away from the rules.  In all reality, this is MY program.  Just as what you are doing is YOUR program.  No one will DIE if they don't follow the rules of the book to the T...BUT why wouldn't you?  Maybe you have that glass of wine at day 25 or 26 and do everything else properly for the next few days.  That's up to you.  But will you feel guilty?  Will you be upset because now you have a stomach ache and didn't reintroduce properly?  Just things to consider.

With all of that being said,  I have been having some lack of pro biotic issues the last 2 weeks.  So, I have reintroduced yogurt.  I had to.  My body chemistry just needs it, I guess.  I have been fine thus far.  Thursday will be one week of this reintroduction, so Friday I will probably have a gluten free drink to celebrate my new found eating habits. :)  Then at some point I will reintroduce cheese.  Then soy.  I think that's all, though.  I don't miss anything else.  Which really surprises me!

Archived