Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Happy birthday Susabella! Hope your celebration goes well, and I love the idea of staying compliant as a way of celebrating your health! So positive!  Also, thanks for the tips re:reintroduction. What you say makes a lot of sense.

Earoti - sounds like your trip to the fair was a giant WIN - congratulations!

Beth - I'm sorry you were attacked for your food choices, but good for you for staying strong. And awesome that you may have influenced some of your friends to make healthier choices for themselves. :)

Suzibeck - I hear you on the food prep thing. I think that has been the hardest part of this for me. SO. MUCH. COOKING. I'm trying to streamline breakfasts and lunches as much as possible, so that the only meal I feel I am cooking each day is dinner. But it's tough.

Hard to believe we are almost done! I'm excited, but a bit nervous as well. Here is a question: does it make sense to reintroduce grains separately? As in, reintroduce rice, then corn, then wheat? The reason I am thinking this is that I really don't miss wheat that much, but I do miss rice and corn. Any thoughts on this?

Happy Monday everyone!

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe we are almost done! I'm excited, but a bit nervous as well. Here is a question: does it make sense to reintroduce grains separately? As in, reintroduce rice, then corn, then wheat? The reason I am thinking this is that I really don't miss wheat that much, but I do miss rice and corn. Any thoughts on this?

Happy Monday everyone!

Rice and corn are considered non-gluten grains and in my opinion, should be reintroduced separately from gluten grains (wheat, etc.)

Below is a link to the reintroduction spreadsheet in case you missed it when I posted it the first time.  It is handy to keep track of what you are reintroducing and how that group made you feel.

http://www.oliveyouwhole.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Whole30-Reintroduction-Planner.pdf

Hello to everyone...happy birthday Susabella!!

As we head into our last days, remember that reintroduction is IMPORTANT! 

This is your one opportunity to slowly, carefully, systematically reintroduce some of the off-plan foods you’ve been missing into the “clean” environment you’ve created with the Whole30. Now is your chance to really evaluate how these foods make you feel in the context of a better relationship with food, improved metabolism, healthier digestive tract, and more balanced immune system. 

I've read so many people go nuts, and then arent able to figure out what they ate that made them feel like crap! They always regret it.

Thirty days of so much hard work wasted, because you’ve learned nothing about how these less healthy foods impact you. You’ve come this far—take the extra time to really reap the benefits of the carefully crafted reintroduction schedules. Be patient, and take the lessons you’ll learn in the coming days with you for the rest of your life. Rush this process, and you’ll be selling yourself short~~ :o 

Day 27!!!! So close now!!!!

Random question- are bell peppers a good veggie? I really enjoy them and I'll eat a whole pepper cut up raw with a meal, I was just wondering if that was enough by itself or if I need more veggies than that?

I have decided that after the reintroduction I'm going to stick to whole 30 the best that I can without being too crazy about the little things. I'll have wine only on special occasions so it doesn't become a nightly habit again. And I'm going to try hard to stay away from sugar because I think that's my #1 weakness and I don't want to start that again! Hope everyone is doing well, almost to the finish line!

Oh, also feeling high energy today. Went for a 3 mile jog this morning before work, and I am NOT a morning person so I usually workout in the afternoon. I had so much energy after work and I also did a sculpt class at the gym! (Cardio and weights, super high energy) and it felt great! I feel like I can take on the world! My husband is amazed because I've been cleaning the kitchen every night, usually I'm so tired after work I leave it and it piles up for a few days before I finally do it. I like this version of myself so much more!

Not weighing is a rule of the Whole30 and I'm sad to see that you've done this.  I'm editing your post to remove the scale results.

wow I thought this forum was for support!  you censor my posts because i choose to weigh myself!  I don't see you taking your black marker to the posts that mention eating improperly as i have been reading of bacon flavoured crackers and yogurt. Selective Censorship I guess.

Good Morning All, 

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes! I had a fabulous time with family last night! Stayed on plan and feeling great this morning. The only thing that tempted me was I would have liked a cappuccino after dinner. Think the first thing I'm adding in is dairy which from past whole 30's doesn't bother me anyway. 

Can't believe we are almost at the finish line. For me, not too much will change at day 31. I will continue to eat Whole foods adding dairy, non gluten grains and occasionally foods with natural sugar. I will stay away from processed, chemical laden foods that come in a box!!

Earoti - do I sense Tiger Blood??

Have a great day all!! 

I think I was feeling the tiger blood yesterday! I definitely had a ton of energy and was very focused and happy. I still feel groggy when first waking up, so I'm not sure if it's full tiger blood yet! I definitely feel 110% better and healthier than I did before whole30 that's for sure!

• Moderators

wow I thought this forum was for support!  you censor my posts because i choose to weigh myself!  I don't see you taking your black marker to the posts that mention eating improperly as i have been reading of bacon flavoured crackers and yogurt. Selective Censorship I guess.

If I saw a post here with someone eating bacon flavored crackers and yogurt, then I would have for sure done the same thing.  We try and read every post in these threads and ensure that all rules are being followed but if we miss some, you're welcome to either dm us with the post number or call it out yourself.

Weighing is a rule of the program just as not eating grains and dairy and we're asked to remove weight loss discussion because it derails others who may then want to weigh and start ignoring their non scale victories.  If you point me to the cracker/yogurt post, I would be happy to edit it as well.

This is not censorship, it's a moderator following the rules of the volunteer job she's been asked to do.  

Edited to add:  I searched this topic for bacon flavored crackers and found one instance where a member said they were served at a game night she went to alongside veggies.  It doesn't appear she ate them.  I also searched for yogurt and I can't find an instance where someone was eating it, rather than talking about reintroducing it.  We take the rules seriously here to try and help everyone get the best they can from the program and I am truly sorry you feel that I was picking on you, because that wasn't my intention at all.

Hi everyone. not going to be long but was thinking of you all constanctly. What a wonderful thing you all have achieved.  Probably some in ways you don't even know.  

I will be doing this again becasue I ddin't stop because I wanted to but I tell you, surgery, knocks the joy from you. 

I can't do anything more then wash and eat and sleep. 

I have no desire to watch tv as I don't want to be sucked into tempations. every 10-15 seconds about food when I'm not strong enough to beat it. 

I was not able to stay on plan because my husband can only fix the eggs and bacon  He has now gone to work and I can't stand long enough to cook.  so best thing, I know you can say now is prepare as much food as you can but you will still be down.  low energy from the Anesthesia and the pain meds..  

I can say, I'm happy I have done as much as I can, and I will return or stay with the group to see how you reintroduce your foods. 

when you re-introduce do you stay in the same group or do you start another group? 

I'm glad for Whole 30 because not drinking coffee, is not hard..:) 

What I did learn while i'm down is to shut my mouth. Listen to people.  and do the best i can for me so that when it is something that I can help with, then I will speak.   

otherwise, I found people spend to much time in other people's lives that if htey paid attention to their own, you'd find there is a lot to pay attention to.. 

They did give me clear liquids just the day after and I've learned to actually love tea now, no sugar.. I can do it and it's not odd.  

Even in the discharge summary it says to eat a lot of proteins to heal quicker.. now there's a plug for whole food from the Hospital.. 

I'm suppose to walk but loose my balance so, I can't do a lot.  

Cheers with my raised glass of water to Whole 30 and getting stronger.   The Tiger blood never came to me:(  oh well..  maybe we should concentrate on what it did do for me. change my reason for eating food. 

sorry to be long winded. Got no one to talk to.  lol 

Tytbody, so glad you checked in, we were all wondering about you. I hope you heal up quickly and can restart soon.

I have not hit tiger blood either. I have more energy than I did before I started, but not a ton. For some reason I'm wanting to snack, probably because of stress. I'm holding the course.

Hey guys!

So here I am...I had to touch bases again before you wrap this thread up KUDOS AND KUDOS AND KUDOS to everybody-and throw in a high five :) To those of you who are on track to complete your W30: mega awesome!!! To those of you who have made MAJOR strides in healthy eating and self-awareness, MEGA AWEOME as well!! This is a journey so if the "first" W30 isn't quite a W30, it's a step in a good direction which might lead to another complete W30, or in a slightly different direction that you find personally helpful.

For myself, the family crisis I mentioned kind of kept spiraling, and I wasn't able to stay compliant. It's a long story (which seems to be heading in a good direction now) but it's not something I'm feeling guilty about, just the way Real. Life. Is.

I am taking a few things away from this 30 days:

1. I am a perfectionist. I am proud that I was able to stay focused on being MOSTLY compliant even when it became impossible to be perfect. This is a major win for me because I tend to be the totally prototypical "throw in the towel-I've already screwed up" type person. I am happy being mature enough to accept incremental progress.

2. I am a bit of an exercise nut, because for me it's a healthy way to de-stress. I have learned that I need to develop a habit of MINDFULNESS as a way to deal with stress, not just MOVEMENT. In other words, I need to connect to the ability to 'just BE": BE in the moment, BE in the silence, BE in the chaos, and not have to move or escape or fix anything. Because sometimes you can't do any of those things and STILL it doesn't help to turn to food as a solution. This is a major life skill I want to work on.

3. I am going to try *again* for that elusive complete W30 because I see the real change the parameters and habits are creating in my life. So, Tytbody-YOU IN!?!? (JK, do whatever works for you :) )

What non scale victories/learning has everyone else come up with???

Tytbody so good to hear from you!!! Glad the surgery went well, and you are on the road to recovery. Be gentle with yourself and give your body the time it needs to heal. There will always be time for another W30. ;)

Strava, good to hear from you too. Glad things are coming around for you and yours, and I appreciate your insight on rolling with the punches.

Earoti - I am happy to hear you got the Tiger Blood! Awesome!

Samnkelli - thanks for the article on reintroduction! Mine is going to be a bit tricky given my upcoming travel, but I'm going to try to take things slow.

I'm excited that we are almost done, but also a little nervous. I'm just going to take it one day at a time and see how it goes. Also planning to do another W30 in September, so I can really concentrate on reintroduction.

Almost to the finish line!!!!

Tytbody...glad to see you are back!!! 

Homestretch time!!  I am debating on continuing this for a bit more.  I felt like I had tiger blood 2 weeks in and now I don't.  I am still on an antibiotic from my hospital trip and I feel like it is messing up my system.  I am staying compliant but I am careful with my choices because of diarrhea as a side effect.  I am not real happy with what I have to eat (less flavor because of removing some spices for now) and I removed some fruit.

Strava and Tytbody-I will stay on here while I sort this out.

I am glad to see so many of us are doing well! 

Good Morning Everyone, 

Tytbody - So happy to see you posted... you need to focus on healing and recovering from surgery - you will know when the time is right to do another whole 30. 

Strava - glad to see you checked back in and I love your take aways from this. I am sure I will be ready for another strict whole 30 by August or September - I thrive on rules -  so hopefully we will meet up again. 

I love how each time I do this I learn something different about myself  - Before this whole 30 I was feeling a little defeated by the cancer in the sense that I was feeling entitled to eat whatever I wanted to eat and the mindset that I deserved it. This whole 30 taught me that eating sweets, treats and junk aren't what make me feel better. Taking care of me and cleaning all of that out of my system is what makes me feel better. Today I feel more like myself then I have in 9 months! Now if only my hair would grow a little faster!!

As far as staying in this thread I know in the past the moderators encourage those that finish the whole 30 to move the thread to reintroduction to keep the boards organized so on day 31 whoever starts a new thread just post the link here and everyone can find it  :)

Happy Humpday Everyone!

Tytbody...glad to see you are back!!! 

Homestretch time!!  I am debating on continuing this for a bit more.  I felt like I had tiger blood 2 weeks in and now I don't.  I am still on an antibiotic from my hospital trip and I feel like it is messing up my system.  I am staying compliant but I am careful with my choices because of diarrhea as a side effect.  I am not real happy with what I have to eat (less flavor because of removing some spices for now) and I removed some fruit.

Strava and Tytbody-I will stay on here while I sort this out.

I am glad to see so many of us are doing well! 

hey BM. 

;) 

yes, ABX will knock your system for a loop..  

These stool softness I have to take,, I don't even know what to say.. it's constant diarrhea..  I believe they don't want me to have a formed stool for the stitches and the stomach muscles it takes to pass one. 

I hope who ever starts the reintroduction also posts the thread.. 

it's funny, the person that started this post I have not seen her on here. or is she here and she changed her avatar. 

Stravajunkie   yes, I'm in..  boy you said a mouth full. I feel like i'm in therapy and it is helping me to see more then just food. 

i see the so much that we are bombarded with food commercials that are not wholesome..  

I say, why fight with it in the magazines, just don't buy them..    buy the wholesome magazines and keep filling your mind with wholesome thoughts so that our first reach will be for whole food. 

I found when I did eat the ice cream, sorry to say the bad word, but so you understand what I ate and why, ... It tasted good. but I was already in a happy mood so it wasn't to make me feel happy..    it was a sharing moment with my girlfriend and her granddaughters.  

I know I will be tTHINKING before I put anything in my mouth. thinking, is it wholesome.. what is the purpose and then decide if I should eat it or not..  I feel it's a process just like we are taught to eat the junk..  

I have a question for anyone that has read this far.. 

Why is Ghee considered something that is not processed.?  they have to do something to the butter to make it clarified. so what really is processed when it comes to food?   

yes, there is definitely another W30 in my future. but not until I'm stronger, up on my feet and can move.  

thank you for the welcome backs, it feels good to know I was missed..  that also helps me heal, .. Love you guys, and thanks for being part of each of our life changes..   Stravajunki... I also have some of those tendencies to be hard on myself. that if I can't do it. I want to quit. but then, I dig in and say, it can be done.  There is nothing that can't be done, once we put our minds to it.. and most of all. support works 150%%%% : ) 

SusAbella.. I think and believe to fight off any illness, slow it down or even knock it out, takes good food. Even if we don't think it is doing anything. it starts at that cellular level. so the more good food you eat the healthier your hair will grow back in.. when it's stronger.. so you have to feed your cells.. don't give in to because I have this I can do this.. ah ah.. no way.. because you are living, you deserved the best food you can get.....

Migraines, psoriasis, and other funky symptoms can also be signs of detoxification (which is a good thing). After eating crappy, and then switching to wholesome foods, your body will definitely be releasing toxins and built-up accumulated waste… so stay the course and keep on keep in' on (but do seek medical advice when appropriate)!

PS Sorry to pop in here as an "outsider"... I've been tracking your group for inspiration and motivation, but don't have much time to post and comment. I'm also on Day 23 (of my 3rd Whole30 since June 2015). Good luck to you all... almost there! : )

thank you for popping in, your amongst family here. 

As far as staying in this thread I know in the past the moderators encourage those that finish the whole 30 to move the thread to reintroduction to keep the boards organized so on day 31 whoever starts a new thread just post the link here and everyone can find it  :)

Happy Humpday Everyone!

This is definitely what they will suggest, so if you are interested in following each other for awhile after be sure to look for that move.  Over on the reintroduction section you will also find the Tigers and Turtles, a group I was in back in January who have committed to staying together on or off Whole30 for the rest of this year.  There are only a few of us, 7-8 I think and we only post sporadically but still enjoy sharing and supporting each other.  Some of them did June, some are taking the summer off, so it's an open thread as far as how we talk about food.  Most of our conversation is about how we are making Whole30 part of life when we aren't following the strict rules and those kind of conversations are best held out of the eyes of the brand new people who are looking for advice and can get confused about what is okay on a Whole30 when we start to talk about reintroducing things.

My July will start on the 5th, I'm taking the holiday weekend off...and then it will consist of all compliant ingredients but some uses of those ingredients that are not compliant like those wraps we talked about earlier this month or banana ice cream.  For anyone still trying to figure out what they want to do next, if you aren't ready to try reintroduction yet, I found this to be a nice way to ease back a little on the strictest rules without actually adding any food I wasn't already eating.  It feels like a little freedom, but with that safety net of not really changing what I'm eating.  One of the reasons these foods are off for a Whole30 is that they can push better choices off your plate, so keep that in mind and use the freedom within reason.  For example, one thing I did last year in July was make some of that banana ice cream where you just freeze slices of ripe banana and then toss them in a blender and blend until smooth and "creamy".  Not a thing in it but banana but it's way too close a sub for ice cream to be safe as a daily thing not to mention you easily end up eating several banana's which is something you would be unlikely to do if eating actual bananas.  So, uh, don't go bananas!!!  I made some for the Fourth of July and enjoyed it at our cookout...and then that was it for the month.  I also made some coconut flour waffles one weekend when I had people over, but again not something I started making even weekly let alone daily.  Aside from just feeling like I had more room to play, I also felt like this let me explore what life could look like even if I didn't add a single new thing to my approved grocery list and it kept me engaged in looking for even more recipes that made use of my new go-to foods. 

I'm sure this wouldn't work for everyone, but I wanted to share because I think it worked really well for me coming out of my first Whole30 and not feeling sure of what I wanted to do next.  I felt too good to just stop, and didn't want to mess with success just when it was starting to get good but I also wanted to shake things up a little!  I will be following this same pattern for most of July myself and then going back to a strict Whole30 starting in August and probably into the September.  I'm still working out how I want to finish off the year, I had originally planned to go off plan starting in September and going through until January but I'm not sure I want to leave four months wide open.  Too much time to slip up and lose momentum so I'm considering a W30 work week plan...if I'm at work, I'm on plan (and I mean the entire day not just working hours.)  This is more about maintenance than cleanse though and just something I think might work for me in between rounds while I wait/hope my body gets used to being at a new and lower weight and stops trying to put every inch back on the second I step off plan.  I like it because it also keeps the focus on prepping meals for the week and packing which even when I'm not on plan are habits I think help keep me eating better and regularly and most important MINDFULLY.

• Moderators

This is definitely what they will suggest, so if you are interested in following each other for awhile after be sure to look for that move.  Over on the reintroduction section you will also find the Tigers and Turtles, a group I was in back in January who have committed to staying together on or off Whole30 for the rest of this year.  There are only a few of us, 7-8 I think and we only post sporadically but still enjoy sharing and supporting each other.  Some of them did June, some are taking the summer off, so it's an open thread as far as how we talk about food.  Most of our conversation is about how we are making Whole30 part of life when we aren't following the strict rules and those kind of conversations are best held out of the eyes of the brand new people who are looking for advice and can get confused about what is okay on a Whole30 when we start to talk about reintroducing things.

This is a perfect way to describe it!  I hope you guys stick together or even join ranks with the Tigers and Turtles to keep your journey going and anytime you need a hand or want something reviewed, feel free to PM your favorite moderator or post a troubleshooting thread.

Tytbody you asked about ghee....the way they make it for W30 (I've never used it prior to this) it's kind of like browned butter-you gently heat the butter till the milk solids fall to the bottom, then take the clarified butter off the top...in, ahem, prior times I made some wicked browned butter frosting using a similar method as a base, but that's a digression :)

LoriJJ - I think this post might be helpful for you:

http://whole30.com/2015/06/support-groups/

This is a perfect way to describe it!  I hope you guys stick together or even join ranks with the Tigers and Turtles to keep your journey going and anytime you need a hand or want something reviewed, feel free to PM your favorite moderator or post a troubleshooting thread.

Tigers and Turtles...I get the Tigers but not the Turtles.  I know it is probably a dumb question but do you know the answer?

Archived