Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure but I'm thinking Turtles like slow and steady wins the race? Maybe?

You aren't far off, it all stemmed from a conversation we had as a group in January about how not everyone feels like a Tiger even on day 30.  For myself, I often just feel a leveling off of energy.  No longer hitting the nearly manic feeling highs of running off sugar, and also no longer feeling the "I've stared at this screen for five minutes and still can't make sense of anything" fog of the ensuing crashes.  I wasn't alone in feeling that way in that group and we joked about being Turtles instead of Tigers and being okay with that.  For me, for example, there are a couple of other issues at play that food alone won't fix so I don't actually expect to hit full throttle Tiger mode and it's about accepting our own pace. 

There is also a post I made at the very start of that thread that jokes about a mascot for us, I went looking for a picture hoping there would be some kind of turtle actually called a Tiger Turtle or something and instead found an art installation named pretty much the same thing that is also one of the worlds largest staircases.  The symbolism seemed to fit and I have a quirky sense of humor at the best of times. 

Yes, slow and steady wins the race...that's what I thought too. :rolleyes:  

Well, pats on the back, victory dance, high fives. We are at the finish line. I will cross it tonight as I started a day early.

So very happy and proud to have done this with all of you! Even though this was my second W30, I learned so many new things from you guys -- new recipes, new foods to try, helping me realize something about a trigger or behavior, how to better handle reintroduction. All this newly gained knowledge that I will carry with me as I ride my own bike. THANK YOU!!

Whole30 aside, we have been through family emergencies, surgeries, bee deliveries, all sorts of parties, medical issues and sports bra recommendations. Whew!!  

I am looking forward to reading all the great results in the coming days...

Cheers!

Kelli

Almost there, congrats to you all, wherever you find yourself on the journey! I am with most of you and will finish tomorrow, DAY 30!! Look forward to following along with your reintroduction experiences, whatever thread you end up on... : )

Day 30! We just have to finish this one last day! Congrats to all of the June 1st starters out there! I'm so proud of all of us!

I guess I'm a turtle as I don't feel the tiger blood but I'm certainly more focused/ less foggy than before.

I will be continuing strict Whole30 until at least the 4th thanks to that one sip of water that turned out to be pop. I may go longer if I don't get a grip on the new cravings that have reared their ugly heads the past few days. My stress level is through the roof and if my hubby doesn't find a job, it will just get worse so I need to learn to deal without eating it.

I think I need to commit to exercise but I'm not sure I could follow through without a support group, like this one. I need accountability it seems. My walking partner won't walk as early as I need to most days so I need to just get out there on my own. It's not the same, nor as easy without a partner that's for sure.

Here's to day 30!

Day 30! We just have to finish this one last day! Congrats to all of the June 1st starters out there! I'm so proud of all of us!

I guess I'm a turtle as I don't feel the tiger blood but I'm certainly more focused/ less foggy than before.

I will be continuing strict Whole30 until at least the 4th thanks to that one sip of water that turned out to be pop. I may go longer if I don't get a grip on the new cravings that have reared their ugly heads the past few days. My stress level is through the roof and if my hubby doesn't find a job, it will just get worse so I need to learn to deal without eating it.

I think I need to commit to exercise but I'm not sure I could follow through without a support group, like this one. I need accountability it seems. My walking partner won't walk as early as I need to most days so I need to just get out there on my own. It's not the same, nor as easy without a partner that's for sure.

Here's to day 30!

Suzibeck, solo exercise is really a challenge....just had to throw in 1 thought: I lean heavily on audiobooks...I have zero time for reading in my life, but I have the audible app on my smart phone and I download a book that I know I'll really look forward to listening to, then my riding time (yes I can hear traffic, and often I'm off road so it's OK) becomes my reading time. Everybody's different but it sure helped me get in the groove of getting out there...because that is hard.

Suzibeck, solo exercise is really a challenge....just had to throw in 1 thought: I lean heavily on audiobooks...I have zero time for reading in my life, but I have the audible app on my smart phone and I download a book that I know I'll really look forward to listening to, then my riding time (yes I can hear traffic, and often I'm off road so it's OK) becomes my reading time. Everybody's different but it sure helped me get in the groove of getting out there...because that is hard.

If I had three thumbs to thumb up this suggestion I would use them all...but that would be weird.  I have to restrain myself from gushing over Audible and this is coming from a devoted book lover who hated the mere idea of these e-book intruders.  All it took was realizing how much more of my time could be book time if I used audio books though to turn me right around.  I still sort of hate e-books, but a good audiobook makes all the difference.  I'm plugged in to one while driving, cooking, doing dishes, on the treadmill, pretty much any time I can't hold a book in one hand.  I literally can't even imagine doing a long walk without one and I agree the spoken word does not block ambient sounds the way music would.

Another thing that could help, if you have the right kind of phone or device for this, is looking for an app that includes walking challenges.  I really get a kick right now out of something called Cakewalk which is on Apple devices.  It's a very simple kick in the pants to move more step counter but it includes the ability to accept random challenges which drive you to walk a certain number of steps in a certain time period.  I will do this first thing in the morning now while making breakfast just walking around the house and passing the griddle to flip bacon or when I need to take a break at work.  I accept a challenge and then head out for that many steps whatever it picks for me.  I don't know if this particular one would be as fun when you are already planning on a long walk since the challenges so far have all been straight walk time, but I imagine that there are other apps that offer similar interval challenges to encourage you to speed up or walk a little bit further.  My first pedometer was a Striiv and they had awesome challenges, sometimes it would be steps, sometimes stairs, sometimes calories...and it allowed you to skip one and try another if it randomly selected something you weren't able to do right then.  Something like that would keep me engaged.

Tytbody you asked about ghee....the way they make it for W30 (I've never used it prior to this) it's kind of like browned butter-you gently heat the butter till the milk solids fall to the bottom, then take the clarified butter off the top...in, ahem, prior times I made some wicked browned butter frosting using a similar method as a base, but that's a digression :)

my question was/is still. isn't this processed?  to get to the ghee stage you have to process it don't you? 

• Moderators

my question was/is still. isn't this processed?  to get to the ghee stage you have to process it don't you? 

Everything you eat has to be processed (cooked, prepared) in some way unless you're biting a whole butternut squash or eating raw chicken.  Processing (cooking/ preparing) food is natural and normal.  Making processed food is a science experiment.  If you are starting with real food and you come back out with real food without adding chemicals and additives to make a new frankenfood, then what you're doing is cooking.  If you are Kellogs and you are trying to make some sort of food waste by product into something you can sell by adding chemicals and additives and the 'food' doesn't resemble anything found in nature, that is making a processed food.

Here's to day 30!

Susibeck.  what type of exercise do you like to do? Do you like outdoor or indoor or even variety...   how is the heat for you for outdoor activity?  how much time do you think you can dedicate to exercise so it doesn't get board or tedious or burn you out trying to keep up?  

there are a lot of apps to help if you like gadgets, Of which I do.  dvd tapes are great in terms of time, instructor what you may feel like that day..   say what you may like and let's brain storm how you can get it done. 

Everything you eat has to be processed (cooked, prepared) in some way unless you're biting a whole butternut squash or eating raw chicken.  Processing (cooking/ preparing) food is natural and normal.  Making processed food is a science experiment.  If you are starting with real food and you come back out with real food without adding chemicals and additives to make a new frankenfood, then what you're doing is cooking.  If you are Kellogs and you are trying to make some sort of food waste by product into something you can sell by adding chemicals and additives and the 'food' doesn't resemble anything found in nature, that is making a processed food.

okay. so making cookies is processed??   cooking bacon is cooking because it doesn't change the chemical make up of the meat??? 

hum.. still makes me think..  ;( 

Ghee is not a processed food in the sense that you are adding/removing artificial ingredients to make it unhealthy. Sure, you are putting it through a process to  remove the milk solids to make it clarified, and therefore compliant for the Whole 30 program. But isn't an unhealthy process. 

Thanks for the audio book suggestion. I borrow books on CD from the library frequently. There is zero money to spend on anything right now, 10 months of unemployment for my husband has taken its toll. I only work part time. I may have to quit a job I love to work full time elsewhere.

I have an old iPhone 4 and it doesn't always work for apps, and is super slow when it does work. I will check the App Store and see what I might find though.

I mostly like walking, if I get out early enough the heat isn't too bad. Come winter, I need another option. I try to do DVDs in the winter, that is even harder than walking alone! We have two sets of stairs and sometimes I walk those for exercise on bad weather days.

• Moderators

okay. so making cookies is processed??   cooking bacon is cooking because it doesn't change the chemical make up of the meat??? 

hum.. still makes me think..  ;( 

Do you add chemicals and science experiment ingredients to your cookies?? ;)  That's still cooking.

I love audio books!!! I listen to Harry Potter when I run or walk my dog, it makes time fly by because I get so into the story!! I've heard game of thrones is a great audio book too. You can download them and put them on your phone like you would music. Fitbit really challenges me to get out and walk! It keeps track of my steps and my friends do weekly challenges so I try to win, it's fun! I can't believe we're on day 30!!! I'm so proud of us all, this has not been easy, but it has been SO worth it. I don't want to lost this feeling. My friends think I'm crazy for considering staying on this for life! (Not strict whole30, but close), but you don't really understand until you've tried this! I can't wait to weigh myself tomorrow I feel way more fit!

yes, 10 months is a very very stressful time.  even with eating good food.. 

what is the job you love?  

I understand about the iPhone..  try, You on a walk by memhet OZ.. how ever you spell his name. it's motivating as he talks you through it.. then has stretches to finish at the end.... ''

HAVe you tried any Leslie Samson. I'm sure there are some on youtube you may want to look at.

I also would love audiobooks but those green backs aren't on my trees either... lol   

I wish the audible would make a cd so i could get it all starts with food. I purchased the download but should have bought it from Amazon so I could get the audible for $1.99..  

I don't know why they are all wanting a subscription and then if you don't, the book you want to hear is $19.95..   / month.. for one booK??? really.. agog. can't d it.. 

I'm also unemployed house wife and try to do a lot of things in doors that don't cost a lot of money..  

I used to love to read but that skill has left me.. I read and then I can't concentrate..  

I am a child passenger safety technician (car seat tech) working at a local hospital. I do car seat checks, bike helmet fittings, teach various safety classes and the like. I love what I do and know what I do saves lives.

I love Leslie! I used to have her walk away the pounds on VHS, lol, used to do it with the kids for homeschool gym. My library has a nice selection of DVDs that I use from time to time.

I have a Go Bible (mp3 with the Bible on it) but I find that requires too much focus, listening to an exciting story would be easier I think. I'll see if I can download something.

I'll look up You on a Walk, thanks. I'm not generally a fan of Dr Oz, he pitches too many one size fits all solutions and "miracle pills", but a walking app should be safe.

Hey! Congrats everyone! I posted one question on day 8 on a separate thread, but have just been an occasional lurker on this thread. I'm the one who wrote about feeling like I was eating too much meat and was missing oatmeal, corn & beans, and a moderator recommended bumping up my intake of starchy vegetables, and that made all the difference, and here I am on day 30 with all of you! So I wanted to say congrats, and we did it!

I definitely have more energy - I've mostly cut out caffeine as well (though not completely) and my energy/blood sugar feels very consistent and my cravings have been reduced drastically. Also, I'm wearing pants today that I haven't been able to get into for a long time.

I want to keep this feeling going - while doing a careful re-introduction of certain food groups. Is there a Day 31+ support thread somewhere?

:D to all!

- Sherri

Oh! I just found the re-introduction section.

Wanted to add that one of the best things that happened during my Whole 30 was attending a party on Day 5 during which an exquisite chocolate cake was served, as well as cupcakes. It was hard, but I managed to get through it. That success - passing up that beautiful cake! - has been a touchstone for me through several other challenges this month: Attending a conference where everyone was served a piece of cake with the meal. Two retirement-related events - one at a restaurant and the other an in-house work party - where I managed to stay Whole 30 compliant. And an overnight work trip with a hotel stay and catered lunch. (Brought some of my own food and was able to stay compliant with other food that was offered). Anytime I might have been tempted to have a sugar dessert - I went back, in my mind, to that cake I had passed up on Day 5. And I knew, whatever was being offered wasn't nearly going to be as good as that cake would have been. And if I didn't go off-plan for that cake, I sure as heck wasn't going off plan for something that didn't look half as good!

Anyway - just had to share. See you on the 31+ forum!

• Moderators

Oh! I just found the re-introduction section.

Wanted to add that one of the best things that happened during my Whole 30 was attending a party on Day 5 during which an exquisite chocolate cake was served, as well as cupcakes. It was hard, but I managed to get through it. That success - passing up that beautiful cake! - has been a touchstone for me through several other challenges this month: Attending a conference where everyone was served a piece of cake with the meal. Two retirement-related events - one at a restaurant and the other an in-house work party - where I managed to stay Whole 30 compliant. And an overnight work trip with a hotel stay and catered lunch. (Brought some of my own food and was able to stay compliant with other food that was offered). Anytime I might have been tempted to have a sugar dessert - I went back, in my mind, to that cake I had passed up on Day 5. And I knew, whatever was being offered wasn't nearly going to be as good as that cake would have been. And if I didn't go off-plan for that cake, I sure as heck wasn't going off plan for something that didn't look half as good!

Anyway - just had to share. See you on the 31+ forum!

Love this!  Good for you, congrats on finishing!

Archived