Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Soo I was going to say this morning that my chocolate cravings were through the roof! Last night and first thing this morning thats all I wanted - no I did not give in. I looked up what your body really wants when you crave chocolate and its magnesium and I have been eating magnesium rich foods but adding a vitamin shouldn't hurt. Right now I am ok, but thats because I really don't want anything, lol. This heat and humidity got to me. This is my 2nd round and 1 of the things I thought I should do better of is eat more veggies, I like them but I get wrapped up in a meat and get full or I have a little of both but definitely something i am working on.

I was going to ask about the mayo, the first round I didn't have issues. I have a immersion blender and it came with a slender mixing tube. What my problem is its to thin for me instead of thick like before. I even dropped the olive oil amount, I've tried it will all acids like lemon juice, vinegar, mustards. What can I do to get thick mayo instead of ranch dressing ready mayo? I did read somewhere that a teaspoon of water helps emulsifies but I was nervous about making it worse.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to ask about the mayo, the first round I didn't have issues. I have a immersion blender and it came with a slender mixing tube. What my problem is its to thin for me instead of thick like before. I even dropped the olive oil amount, I've tried it will all acids like lemon juice, vinegar, mustards. What can I do to get thick mayo instead of ranch dressing ready mayo? I did read somewhere that a teaspoon of water helps emulsifies but I was nervous about making it worse.

Im not good at the quotes so not sure Im doing this right.

Are you using an extra large egg? if not, use 2 eggs and see if that helps. Keep that blender on high until you can see the emulsion of the oil and egg starting...take as long as needed. Mine starts up at about 20 seconds and I keep it going longer to make sure its nice and thick.I add some mustard powder too.  If I add too much lemon juice, it gets runny. Let me know how it goes!!!

Day 6 is in the bank.  So far so good.  Tytbody I am so glad you are still with us!!!!  I just got done eating dinner about a half hour ago  When I came home from work I grilled a 2 pork chops, had a baked potato and asparagus.  Tomorrow I will eat the other chop and asparagus for lunch.  I just read all the posts.  It was a busy day on here today.  It sounds like everyone had a great weekend.

I am still keeping it simple, grilling or baking meats/fish without too much fuss.  I try hitting different color veggies, having different fats and some fruit during the course of my day.  I really haven't had that many snack urges since I am eating breakfast and I feel like weight (bloat) is melting away.  But that isn't even the best thing I have noticed.  My mood (except first thing in the morning) is great.  I don't feel myself going to that place where every little thing that goes wrong starts to set me off.  I just say "OK", fix it and move on.  I feel giggly and much more engaged with the people I work with instead of being all business.  Incredible!

Im not good at the quotes so not sure Im doing this right.

Are you using an extra large egg? if not, use 2 eggs and see if that helps. Keep that blender on high until you can see the emulsion of the oil and egg starting...take as long as needed. Mine starts up at about 20 seconds and I keep it going longer to make sure its nice and thick.I add some mustard powder too.  If I add too much lemon juice, it gets runny. Let me know how it goes!!!

You did it right :) I am on large organic eggs. Maybe I'm stopping and bringing it up to soon. I remember the first time I made mayo, I was blown away for a good 24 hours lol

Good Evening everyone, 

I just stopped in here this evening because our group is so active and I didn't want to fall behind. Sounds like people are really starting to notice the positive effects of whole 30 and this is only the end of day 6. I totally get the way you are feeling Big Momma. 

Dinner was chicken thighs that I dry rub with assorted compliant spices and bake in oven. They always come out so good and it's a quick simple meal that the kids and hubby love too. Problem is they didn't leave me any left overs lol. Had baked sweet potato and green beans topped with ghee and some natural applesauce. It was such a lovely evening I went to sit outside on the deck after dinner, and burst into tears... but they were happy tears. I think part of it was just an overwhelming feeling of happiness to be alive. After going thru everything for the past 9 months with the cancer and treatments I really do have a new appreciation for the smaller things in life. And the other part is I am feeling better then I have in a very long time. Almost as good as I did before my diagnosis. And for the first time in what feels like a really long time I am starting to recognize the person I see in the mirror. 

Really enjoy reading about everyone's journey and know I will continue to be inspired by all of you!

We got this!!

First, a big shout out to Tytbody - I'm so glad you decided to stay! I love your posts, and those last few pictures - dang, woman! You're killing me!

Second, I just want to say how great I think this group is! So glad to be a part of it - reading all the posts is very inspiring!

And third, today was a GREAT day for me! I woke up feeling good, had a great day with my family, ate good food, and felt wonderful all day. I'm hoping that KILL ALL THE THINGS is behind me now, and my energy level was definitely better today. I still feel a bit brain foggy, but it has improved, and hopefully will keep lifting.

Finally, I bought some grapes at Trader Joe's - they are called "Cotton Candy" grapes, organic, etc. OMG. They taste like a sugar bomb. No joke. I'm actually posting this because I think I will try to avoid them in future. I felt a little wobbly after eating a handful - like my blood sugar was off. Has anyone else ever tried these? If so, did you have a similar experience? Or is it just me?

Hope everyone has a great day 7!

Hello All, 

I'm starting another whole30 June 1st as well. Found whole30 last year in the spring when I realized I really needed to make a major change in my lifestyle. I loved whole 30 - it was challenging, but definitely got easier with time and the way it made me feel was so worth it..... continued to eat whole and healthy foods, but kinda messed up reintroduction the first time so did another "strict" whole 30 in july with a successful reintroduction. Continued to embrace what I learned and by October I had lost 50lbs and was feeling better then I had in a very long time. As my luck would have it on October 5, 2015 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. stage 2 with positive lymph nodes. Had a double mastectomy,  8 rounds of chemo, and 5 1/2 weeks of radiation  I firmly believe that being in a good state of health when I started treatments really helped. I attempted another whole 30 in April, but didn't get all the way thru. With treatments all over (last radiation was May 11) I am ready to focus on feeling good again. When I look in the mirror I still don't see the person I was before cancer, but I know step 1 is to get my eating under control and tame the sugar dragon!! I am hoping to get my energy back and start feeling normal again. 

Looking forward to being a part of this group and hearing about all of your experiences!! I want to get encouragement and am here to encourage all of you as well. We can do this!!

Wow!  What an inspiration you are!  50 lbs and then beat cancer!  Thank you for sharing!

First, a big shout out to Tytbody - I'm so glad you decided to stay! I love your posts, and those last few pictures - dang, woman! You're killing me!

Second, I just want to say how great I think this group is! So glad to be a part of it - reading all the posts is very inspiring!

And third, today was a GREAT day for me! I woke up feeling good, had a great day with my family, ate good food, and felt wonderful all day. I'm hoping that KILL ALL THE THINGS is behind me now, and my energy level was definitely better today. I still feel a bit brain foggy, but it has improved, and hopefully will keep lifting.

Finally, I bought some grapes at Trader Joe's - they are called "Cotton Candy" grapes, organic, etc. OMG. They taste like a sugar bomb. No joke. I'm actually posting this because I think I will try to avoid them in future. I felt a little wobbly after eating a handful - like my blood sugar was off. Has anyone else ever tried these? If so, did you have a similar experience? Or is it just me?

Hope everyone has a great day 7!

So good to see we feel the difference right off. Not delayed. I had to pout out my apple grape juice before I started and I doubt very much I will be purchasing that agai. Tasted like syrup

I bet milk will have the same effect, if we choose to go for some. That's like thick cream. Lo

Thank you. I fell 100% better today. I think those fries did me in.

Took my Calm and we shall see how I sleep. It's pretty good. No reason to have one with flavor. Reminds me of alkaseltzer

I'm doing so goo I'm up sewing for the Bhuddas.

I don't know why I caneed figure out how to do the quote thing right! I'm answering this from Christine:

Earoti, how is the bloating and acne? I woke up to a couple of blemishes yesterday and am sure it's just detox happening, so that's good. Some bloating would also be on schedule with your digestive system sorting things out. Personally my digestive condition (SIBO - a cause of IBS) takes me from bikini-ready in the morning (well, I mean I would be if I was 15 years younger and had no kids and worked out a lot more and had all day to hang out at the beach :) - ok-- well maybe bikini with a really baggy opaque cover-up) to looking as though I'm 3-4 months pregnant by mid-afternoon/ evening... which has to do with the types of food (FODMAP), so for now I have to avoid cauliflower, broccoli, fermented foods, and a few other things, even though those are so nutritious and perfect for this plan. I had never heard of SIBO and found out as the result of an elimination diet earlier this year when I was eating so much cauliflower and kept getting more and more bloated! Though not all that uncommon, it's probably not applicable to anyone here unless bloating was an issue before you started.

Christine - my acne hasn't really gotten better yet, but it's not terrible! It's mostly around my chin/by my mouth and a few on my forehead. I know it will get better. Let me know how yours goes. I'm exactly the same with bikini tummy when I first wake up, then bloated the rest of the day after I start eating. Why is that? I'm eating a lot of broccoli and cauliflower, is that bad?

6 down...feeling a bit better though I am not sleeping well.  Might be the heat, turned on the air conditioner the last couple of nights  Cooling down tonight.  

b= eggs again, green salad with tomato, cucumber peppers avocado oil and apple cider vinegar

l= pretty much the same green salad with chicken

d=chicken breast, baked potato, broccoli 

Happy to hit the end of week one.

It's a little after 5AM and I just got done eating breakfast, scrambled eggs with leftover asparagus from last night and some ghee.  Today I may have to make it more like a 4 meal day.  I have to go in early and probably will leave close to my normal time.  Ugh.  For lunch my plan is to eat the leftover dinner and have a big salad and some fruit and hopefully will make it to dinner. 

I'm glad to see everyone her making it through the first week.  Here's to a great day 7!

Didn't sleep well last night, had a sick kitty and I was stewing about him. He seems a bit better this morning.

I can't stomach eggs this morning, I think I'll have a leftover burger my husband grilled the other day.

I have to attend a conference from 9-4 today, Wed, and Thurs. I will pack lots of raw veggies to munch on so I will reject all the junk that will be around. I boiled more eggs last night and can take those for protein. I'm not sure if I'll be able to heat stuff up or not so I will take cold lunch today. Being tired from a restless night and being out of my normal routine could easily derail me but I won't let that happen! One day at a time.

Oh, my jeans are looser this morning! Better go get a belt.

Have a terrific day 7 everyone!

Good morning everyone!

I realized this morning that breakfast is my most challenging meal of the day, for a couple of reasons: 1) I'm not super hungry when I wake up (though I know this is due to hormones being out of whack, and will hopefully change with this program), and 2) my brain isn't fully awake, so I'm not very creative. So, thought I to myself, I need to come up with some easy plans for breakfast. I'm thinking left-over dinner is a great go-to, but sometimes my family is ravenous and doesn't leave me anything! I love eggs, so protein is easy for me, but I have a hard time with vegetables and fat. I'm trying to avoid fruit first thing in the day. Do any of you guys struggle with breakfast? What works for you?

Happy day 7!

Hi JT - so happy to hear you are out of the Killing all things stage!!

My go to breakfast is spinach omelet. Or sauteed spinach with eggs over easy on top. I am very similar to you and really have never woke up hungry - even after doing a whole 30 for most of last summer. Sometimes I add a piece of fruit, usually an orange or berries, and I also add my fat to my coffee (bulletproof using coconut oil). 

Funny thing though, this morning I switched it up and had some left over pork loin (I too rarely get let overs with 3 teenagers in the house), and I oven roasted baby carrots. Had the same fat in the coffee as usual. So now it's about 2 hrs after breakfast and I'm feeling hungry. Wonder if it's the sugar in the baby carrots that caused a blood sugar spike or something. Not going to have them for breakfast anymore lol. 

I too am not hungry when I wake up, so Im struggling as well.  this morning I tried 3 eggs (been doing 2) with veggies (sweet potatoe home fries with onions, peppers) and I could not finish it.  Im gonna try to eat it before Meal 2.  My leftover dinner will be my meal 2 today.  good luck on day 7 everyone!  we're doing it and only 23 days to go!  feeling great already!

Morning! I was exhausted this morning on Day 7, but my kiddo also got up multiple times during the night and ended up sleeping in my bed (and snoring like a chainsaw). Breakfast is my usual Kalua Pig, spinach, sweet potato, and egg mix, and lunch will be Katie Lee's Chicken Paillard, minus the Pecorino - it's so simple, but so good. 

Really looking forward to that energy boost! I may need to cut down on the amount of fruit I'm eating though; I feel leaner, but I don't really look leaner. 

• Moderators

I too am not hungry when I wake up, so Im struggling as well.  this morning I tried 3 eggs (been doing 2) with veggies (sweet potatoe home fries with onions, peppers) and I could not finish it.  Im gonna try to eat it before Meal 2.  My leftover dinner will be my meal 2 today.  good luck on day 7 everyone!  we're doing it and only 23 days to go!  feeling great already!

That's the way... just keep trying and your hormones will resolve... if you can't finish your breakfast, take it with you and eat from it again as soon as you are able (don't wait to get hungry)... you'll start to notice you wake up hungry... promise!

• Moderators

I don't know why I caneed figure out how to do the quote thing right! I'm answering this from Christine:

Earoti, how is the bloating and acne? I woke up to a couple of blemishes yesterday and am sure it's just detox happening, so that's good. Some bloating would also be on schedule with your digestive system sorting things out. Personally my digestive condition (SIBO - a cause of IBS) takes me from bikini-ready in the morning (well, I mean I would be if I was 15 years younger and had no kids and worked out a lot more and had all day to hang out at the beach :) - ok-- well maybe bikini with a really baggy opaque cover-up) to looking as though I'm 3-4 months pregnant by mid-afternoon/ evening... which has to do with the types of food (FODMAP), so for now I have to avoid cauliflower, broccoli, fermented foods, and a few other things, even though those are so nutritious and perfect for this plan. I had never heard of SIBO and found out as the result of an elimination diet earlier this year when I was eating so much cauliflower and kept getting more and more bloated! Though not all that uncommon, it's probably not applicable to anyone here unless bloating was an issue before you started.

Christine - my acne hasn't really gotten better yet, but it's not terrible! It's mostly around my chin/by my mouth and a few on my forehead. I know it will get better. Let me know how yours goes. I'm exactly the same with bikini tummy when I first wake up, then bloated the rest of the day after I start eating. Why is that? I'm eating a lot of broccoli and cauliflower, is that bad?

To quote, just hit the quote button on the bottom right of the post you want to quote and then type your own text outside the box.  If you're on a browser that doesn't show the quote box, make sure you're posting outside the word 'quote' at the end of the post you're quoting. Try it and see if you can get it :)

I started on June 1st and today is day 7. I decided I might need an alternative to sugar after reading the timeline and learning that most people quit on day 11. I don't want to be part of the group that decides this isn't helpful. I want to just do the whole30 this month and feel great. I've had a cough for about 20 years and I hope that this much change to my diet will make it go away. And seriously, I would love to lose some weight because if I don't do it soon, I'll have to shop or go naked. I don't really enjoy either. 

Here's to a lovely day 7!

It was such a lovely evening I went to sit outside on the deck after dinner, and burst into tears... but they were happy tears. I think part of it was just an overwhelming feeling of happiness to be alive. After going thru everything for the past 9 months with the cancer and treatments I really do have a new appreciation for the smaller things in life. And the other part is I am feeling better then I have in a very long time. Almost as good as I did before my diagnosis. And for the first time in what feels like a really long time I am starting to recognize the person I see in the mirror. 

Really enjoy reading about everyone's journey and know I will continue to be inspired by all of you!

We got this!!

Susabella, this brought me to tears. So happy you are doing well!!

JTCarlson, oMG those cotton candy grapes are SOOOOOOoo good. I have to avoid them though, they are deadly and I recognize they cause issues.  

I note a few new faces on here, so hello!  

So happy there is some tiger blood starting to flow....yay!!  I cant wait to get there too!!!  

Yes, as Sgardgal says, around Day 11 is when people start to fall off the wagon!  Dont do that!!   

Remember:  Be kind to yourself, be patient with yourself, and remember that it’s not 30 days – it’s justone day. One meal. One bite. Do this one bite at a time, if you have to, because it’s for the most important and worthwhile cause on earth –  you.

Kelli

• Moderators

I started on June 1st and today is day 7. I decided I might need an alternative to sugar after reading the timeline and learning that most people quit on day 11. I don't want to be part of the group that decides this isn't helpful. I want to just do the whole30 this month and feel great. I've had a cough for about 20 years and I hope that this much change to my diet will make it go away. And seriously, I would love to lose some weight because if I don't do it soon, I'll have to shop or go naked. I don't really enjoy either. 

Here's to a lovely day 7!

What do you mean by 'an alternative to sugar'?

Hey Earoti, 

Lol first of all on the tummy.   Just something Us women have to accept I think.. as I asked my doctor is this little kangaroo ever going to to away.. ???  She said I'm afraid not..   ;(   but that's just my experience.. so not sacred by any means. 

On how to QUOTE... 

see at the bottom of my posting.  there are choices like report, Multiquote and quote..   I just used quote to get that persons.  reply. 

I can go in the box once it's in my new text box, reply box, and still delete part of that persons original post so as not to take up space. 

then as you type, the persons quote will be above your reply..  think of it as like email when you want to keep the persons original message, you can either have it at the bottom or at the top of your reply email..   

it helps to understand what the person of whom you are replying to is talking about.  Helps it not be scattered and other people can follow along in the conversation.. Otherwise we don't know who you are talking to..   

If this is not a cool let me know and I will try to figure out a better way to help you *QUOTE*  

Archived