Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Day 6 is in the bank.  So far so good.  Tytbody I am so glad you are still with us!!!!  I just got done eating dinner about a half hour ago  When I came home from work I grilled a 2 pork chops, had a baked potato and asparagus.  Tomorrow I will eat the other chop and asparagus for lunch.  I just read all the posts.  It was a busy day on here today.  It sounds like everyone had a great weekend.

Hi BigMomma, 

What do you use to grill your meat?  I don't have a griller on my over so is there a pan you can grill in doors or do you grill out doors?  (thanks, I loven this place) 

I had for m1 my left over pork chop, ( have more and I froze those) and sweet potato and ghee and spinach and applesauce..  Just felt like normal to me.. :) I'll be eating like this until I decide to go get some eggs.  

going in the grocery store for some reason is not my idea of shopping..  

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 down...feeling a bit better though I am not sleeping well.  Might be the heat, turned on the air conditioner the last couple of nights  Cooling down tonight.  

b= eggs again, green salad with tomato, cucumber peppers avocado oil and apple cider vinegar

l= pretty much the same green salad with chicken

d=chicken breast, baked potato, broccoli 

Happy to hit the end of week one.

Congrats. It feels almost not real that we have come to one week..  

some times when I do something new it seems it take for ever to achieve.  but I love the learning process and giving my self permission to try new things. I would have never done on my own.   

This will help me in my regular journey to keep on trying new things.  What's the worse that can happen?  I didn't try..  ;)   

I started on June 1st and today is day 7. I decided I might need an alternative to sugar after reading the timeline and learning that most people quit on day 11. I don't want to be part of the group that decides this isn't helpful. I want to just do the whole30 this month and feel great. I've had a cough for about 20 years and I hope that this much change to my diet will make it go away. And seriously, I would love to lose some weight because if I don't do it soon, I'll have to shop or go naked. I don't really enjoy either. 

Here's to a lovely day 7!

Before you jump on the sugar wagon, come here.  

call someone, take a walk or meditate.  Just change the switch.. 

I don't believe there is an alternative to sugar.  There are no sweets and no alternatives allowed.  sugar by all those other names is still sugar.. from what i understand..  

You are greater then Sugar.  Just keep saying that to yourself. I am greater then Sugar..  You are the boss of your ligaments and you can control where they go and how they act. 

Didn't sleep well last night, had a sick kitty and I was stewing about him. He seems a bit better this morning.

I can't stomach eggs this morning, I think I'll have a leftover burger my husband grilled the other day.

I have to attend a conference from 9-4 today, Wed, and Thurs. I will pack lots of raw veggies to munch on so I will reject all the junk that will be around. I boiled more eggs last night and can take those for protein. I'm not sure if I'll be able to heat stuff up or not so I will take cold lunch today. Being tired from a restless night and being out of my normal routine could easily derail me but I won't let that happen! One day at a time.

Oh, my jeans are looser this morning! Better go get a belt.

Have a terrific day 7 everyone!

No fare on having loser skirts or jeans so early in the time period...     :rolleyes:   lol  

those conferences can be hard because they could be boring and what happens when we get board, I think about food. I don't know why or the other 10 million thoughts that decide to take up space in my head..     

did you kitty eat something he shouldn't have.. 

My Pepper, my yorki was an itch last night also.. Had me getting up to take her out. early early early.   then I saw some regurgitation on the floor.  

then today...  get ready for this.......  might be too much info but....  darn it all if it didn't walk in some  bowel left overs.. I had on sandals also.. I was pulling up my underpants and said,   *damn, something smells like sugar honey Ice tea* . I look at my pantie and nothing there and then my foot was wet...  Good gravy. What the  Help me was that doing there!!!  I was yelled at that poor baby instead of asking her if she was okay.  I was made my foot had her waste on my toes... 

:wacko:  :wacko:

Good morning everyone!

I I'm thinking left-over dinner is a great go-to, but sometimes my family is ravenous and doesn't leave me anything! I love eggs, so protein is easy for me, but I have a hard time with vegetables and fat. I'm trying to avoid fruit first thing in the day. Do any of you guys struggle with breakfast? What works for you?

Happy day 7!

maybe make yourself an extra plate and hide it;) cover it up in saran wrap and write your name on it..   or you may have to cook even more and have that be your meal #1 

Hi guys! Sounds like everyone is doing well! Glad to hear some folks are feeling better energy.

Christine_ I'm jacked that you're dusting off your bike :) I love riding probably too much...people think of exercise as a weight maintenance thing, but as we are learning here, it's what you eat that determines your weight. For me, riding has been the foundational habit that makes me feel alive, gives me energy for the rest of life, clears my head, balances my moods, gives me a sense of "play" as an adult with way to much going on between work and kids....yeah ok like I said-I probably like it too much :) But I tell my husband my bike is the cheapest and most available therapist out there!

As a side note, regarding the exercise/food matrix, I notice that exercise makes me crave stuff I should be eating-protein, veggies, WATER, etc. It's the days that I end up doing desk work the whole time that I struggle SOOOOOO hard with carb/junk/munchies cravings.

A win for me yesterday: It was a crazy stressful day, the kind of day that Martha Stewart would probably have saved with a lovely and creative family meal, but hey, I'm not her, so I was slinging leftover pizza on the table and answering 5 million texts about kid's sports schedules, and was literally IN THE ACT of peeling off some nice melty mozzarella when I thought "wait a second-IT'S NOT WORTH IT" and tossed it back. Martha would probably also have then created her own perfectly balanced W30 meal, I ate a handful of almonds and drank black coffee till bed time which is bad bad bad but NOT throwing in the towel, so I'm calling it a victory and started over with a decent breakfast today :)

Rock on with your good eating in the real world today ;)

Hi guys! Sounds like everyone is doing well! Glad to hear some folks are feeling better energy.

Christine_ I'm jacked that you're dusting off your bike :) I love riding probably too much...people think of exercise as a weight maintenance thing, but as we are learning here, it's what you eat that determines your weight. For me, riding has been the foundational habit that makes me feel alive, gives me energy for the rest of life, clears my head, balances my moods, gives me a sense of "play" as an adult with way to much going on between work and kids....yeah ok like I said-I probably like it too much :) But I tell my husband my bike is the cheapest and most available therapist out there!

As a side note, regarding the exercise/food matrix, I notice that exercise makes me crave stuff I should be eating-protein, veggies, WATER, etc. It's the days that I end up doing desk work the whole time that I struggle SOOOOOO hard with carb/junk/munchies cravings.

A win for me yesterday: It was a crazy stressful day, the kind of day that Martha Stewart would probably have saved with a lovely and creative family meal, but hey, I'm not her, so I was slinging leftover pizza on the table and answering 5 million texts about kid's sports schedules, and was literally IN THE ACT of peeling off some nice melty mozzarella when I thought "wait a second-IT'S NOT WORTH IT" and tossed it back. Martha would probably also have then created her own perfectly balanced W30 meal, I ate a handful of almonds and drank black coffee till bed time which is bad bad bad but NOT throwing in the towel, so I'm calling it a victory and started over with a decent breakfast today :)

Rock on with your good eating in the real world today ;)

what was bad bad with eating almonds and coffee.You didn't eat the cheese..   

Awesome on the ride. I still don't have a seat comfortable enough for me to ride for long distances. maybe it's the bike. Really not suited for me..  even with the having me stand on it, hold it and me up and do all that measuring stuff.. used to love it as a kid.. My mom wouldn't buy me a bike though. So when I got old enough to buy my own,  I did..  now it doesn't thrill me. It burns the hell out  of my ass and sits bones..  

My food yesterday:

B: Sweet potatoe hash, 2 eggs, 1/4 avocado

L: turkey lunch meat wraps filled with baby spinach, avocado, prosciutto, and orange peppers, with a cup of strawberries on the side

D: burger patty with lettuce, onion, and roasted veggies on the side, also mango on the side

I also drink a lot of sparkling water throughout the day, maybe the bloating is from that? I used to drink a good amount of alcohol so the sparkling water is a good replacement for me.

What brand of lunch meat did you find that is compliant? I am having the hardest time finding some. The closest I found contained rice starch or potato starch and I am not 100% sure it is allowed. Any help on lunch meat brands would be great!

what was bad bad with eating almonds and coffee.You didn't eat the cheese..   

Awesome on the ride. I still don't have a seat comfortable enough for me to ride for long distances. maybe it's the bike. Really not suited for me..  even with the having me stand on it, hold it and me up and do all that measuring stuff.. used to love it as a kid.. My mom wouldn't buy me a bike though. So when I got old enough to buy my own,  I did..  now it doesn't thrill me. It burns the hell out  of my ass and sits bones..  

It's bad for me to replace meals with coffee and snacks, even compliant ones, because that's how I used to exist ALL the time (replacing the almonds with candy bars!) ...I feel best mentally and physically when I eat real meals, even though it's super hard for me to build that habit. BUT I don't mean I'm starting over on the W30-I didn't go off plan, just off template so I'm truckin' along.....

And you're bike comment made me laugh....we all have our thing-bikes are certainly not the only way :) Some of my gal pals scrapbook and quilt. In my book those are activities that should be saved for the underworld. Each to their own!!

It's bad for me to replace meals with coffee and snacks, even compliant ones, because that's how I used to exist ALL the time (replacing the almonds with candy bars!) ...I feel best mentally and physically when I eat real meals, even though it's super hard for me to build that habit. BUT I don't mean I'm starting over on the W30-I didn't go off plan, just off template so I'm truckin' along.....

And you're bike comment made me laugh....we all have our thing-bikes are certainly not the only way :) Some of my gal pals scrapbook and quilt. In my book those are activities that should be saved for the underworld. Each to their own!!

LOL>  big LOL>  saved for the underworld.. Love it..   I'm one of those underworlds... lol. I love to sew and quilt but I'm not scrap booking nothing. I like the creative part of sewing and I'm getting ready to make some book covers for the Buddhists.. I love love sewing. Got a whole room for it..  

I would have to truck along also. I understand..  to me the point is, get off the white crack and eat of the earth..  

SaveSave

• Moderators

What brand of lunch meat did you find that is compliant? I am having the hardest time finding some. The closest I found contained rice starch or potato starch and I am not 100% sure it is allowed. Any help on lunch meat brands would be great!

Potato starch would be fine, rice starch would not be fine... compliant deli meats, like ham, are almost impossible to find, altho to be honest, that's not the kind of food we want people relying on anyway... how about cooking a turkey breast and slicing it up?  If you can find compliant deli meat, it's good in a pinch when you just. cant. cook. anymore, but not something that should be routine as we want you to understand the value of eating food you have made for yourself :)

• Moderators

Good for you for recognizing that it's definitely not an ideal thing to replace your meals with almonds and coffee... not to mention, didn't your tummy hurt after that?  I would have been so bloated... 

Really try and get those template meals in... nuts should be limited... limited being a closed handful every other day at most... I suspect there were a few more than that in your evening almond/coffee fest... ;)

Potato starch would be fine, rice starch would not be fine... compliant deli meats, like ham, are almost impossible to find, altho to be honest, that's not the kind of food we want people relying on anyway... how about cooking a turkey breast and slicing it up?  If you can find compliant deli meat, it's good in a pinch when you just. cant. cook. anymore, but not something that should be routine as we want you to understand the value of eating food you have made for yourself :)

Sugar, 

How did you learn that almonds would bloat you or the amount? I love almonds and now that you say this, this could have been one of the causes I was not feeling well, one evening. I ate some almonds and it was over the allotted amount? I think, but wasn't over a handful.    

they for me are a what do you call it  something with no brakes. 

SaveSave

• Moderators

I know that Almonds bloat me because when I eat them, they cause gas and bloating... I don't know the amount the original poster ate but usually nuts are food without brakes for most people and a handful is usually a huge heaping handful... maybe she only ate a closed fistful but even so, nuts and black coffee on an otherwise empty stomach is a recipe for potential disaster...

Nuts are notoriously difficult to digest aside from being an unbalanced Omega 3-6 ratio and food without brakes... all around, something that should be eaten in limited quantities.

that's sad cause Nuts are good.. :(  I like pecans and almonds and man the trail mixes..   gosh.  gonenut, gone..   or least for a limited time..  

so many times I've eaten something and it gave me gas but then didn't write it down..  Now I'm going to be so much more awake for my stomach.. ;)   thanks for explaining.. 

On how to QUOTE... 

see at the bottom of my posting.  there are choices like report, Multiquote and quote..   I just used quote to get that persons.  reply. 

I can go in the box once it's in my new text box, reply box, and still delete part of that persons original post so as not to take up space. 

then as you type, the persons quote will be above your reply..  think of it as like email when you want to keep the persons original message, you can either have it at the bottom or at the top of your reply email..   

it helps to understand what the person of whom you are replying to is talking about.  Helps it not be scattered and other people can follow along in the conversation.. Otherwise we don't know who you are talking to..   

If this is not a cool let me know and I will try to figure out a better way to help you *QUOTE*  

TY!!! tytbodyin30 for the instruction re: replying using the Quote - I felt like a goof that I couldn't see how to do that.

Feeling that energy coming on today. Yeah! Thank goodness the headache is gone! It was killer. 

Here I am at 4pm again today and I've got the hungries - am going to have to figure out how to make my lunch a bit bigger so it lasts me until dinner. (lunch today was a grass fed beef hot dog - no bun - our cafeteria served - she knows many of us are trying to be conscientious about that - and a salad that I put many olives on with the veggies and oil/vin dressing. Should have asked for a second hot dog perhaps). Maybe more water in the afternoon would help too. I sometimes forget to keep that consistent.

TY!!! tytbodyin30 for the instruction re: replying using the Quote - I felt like a goof that I couldn't see how to do that.

Feeling that energy coming on today. Yeah! Thank goodness the headache is gone! It was killer. 

Here I am at 4pm again today and I've got the hungries - am going to have to figure out how to make my lunch a bit bigger so it lasts me until dinner. (lunch today was a grass fed beef hot dog - no bun - our cafeteria served - she knows many of us are trying to be conscientious about that - and a salad that I put many olives on with the veggies and oil/vin dressing. Should have asked for a second hot dog perhaps). Maybe more water in the afternoon would help too. I sometimes forget to keep that consistent.

Hey Grace. 

Maybe you can really eat 2 hot dogs .since they are on plan.  That bun used to take up space in our stomachs so now you can fill it with the good stuff, and that does feel strange.  

I'm getting this super cool water bottle in a few weeks. *I guess* from what i've heard it may take a while but I still get order it tomorrow. 

I also want to keep track of my water.  something to remind me to sip, gulp or chug.. 

I don't like my water way cold but I like water that is at room temp then poured over ice I don't know what temp that is it but sits fine with my sensitive teeth. 

This water bottle syncs with your phone and when you drink form it, it knows how much you drank and syncs that number to your iPhone.. I think who ever invented it did a fantastic job..     Just hope it works as they advertise..     the person that me about it loves hers.  So, I'm going in for the water count. 

oh. i made a super good meal today..  I made the Shepards pie. .I don't think I'll make it the other way again . Sweet potatoes on top of ground lamb.. I felt like a queen.  and no one is going to eat my left overs but me..  I also added spinach to the plate because I had no carrots to chop up..    De-li-ci-ous.com   ;) 

Hi BigMomma, 

What do you use to grill your meat?  I don't have a griller on my over so is there a pan you can grill in doors or do you grill out doors?  (thanks, I loven this place) 

I had for m1 my left over pork chop, ( have more and I froze those) and sweet potato and ghee and spinach and applesauce..  Just felt like normal to me.. :) I'll be eating like this until I decide to go get some eggs.  

going in the grocery store for some reason is not my idea of shopping..  

Hi tytbody,

We grill outside, in the summer the grill is down in the yard and in the winter it is just off the porch.  We grill year round.  My husband even got a miner's light (the flashlight you put on your head) so we can see when it get's dark early.  We look like idiots doing it but nothing beats eating burgers and steaks off the grill.

No fare on having loser skirts or jeans so early in the time period...     :rolleyes:   lol  

those conferences can be hard because they could be boring and what happens when we get board, I think about food. I don't know why or the other 10 million thoughts that decide to take up space in my head..     

did you kitty eat something he shouldn't have.. 

My Pepper, my yorki was an itch last night also.. Had me getting up to take her out. early early early.   then I saw some regurgitation on the floor.  

then today...  get ready for this.......  might be too much info but....  darn it all if it didn't walk in some  bowel left overs.. I had on sandals also.. I was pulling up my underpants and said,   *damn, something smells like sugar honey Ice tea* . I look at my pantie and nothing there and then my foot was wet...  Good gravy. What the  Help me was that doing there!!!  I was yelled at that poor baby instead of asking her if she was okay.  I was made my foot had her waste on my toes... 

:wacko:  :wacko:

I laughed so hard when I read your post.  As you can see by my picture I have not one but 2 puppies.  They are now 16 weeks old.  After the first week I just wear something on my feet ALL THE TIME!  It's like having two toddlers not wearing diapers living in your house.  They are getting better but boy I felt your pain-times 2!

I don't know if you live near a store that has organic lunch meat but Wegmans has an organic turkey and roast beef (their brand) that has only water and salt in it.  I know Plainville isn't really "plain" if you know what I mean.  I hope this helps.

After a super long day at work I remained successful, did not need a fourth meal and I feel great.  I had eggs and some fruit for breakfast, leftover pork chop and asparagus for lunch and for dinner I had steak, green beans and baked potato with ghee.  I would love to get on a scale because I feel smaller.  I won't though but I had 3 people today ask me if I lost weight.  I told them "I don't know!"  lol  I told them what I was doing and one of the gals at work told me she tried this and couldn't get throught the 2nd day so that made me happy for me.  I told her it was time for me to rip off the band aid.  I hope everyone had a great day 7.  Now I will probably fall asleep on the couch.

Hi all, I started with you on 6/1, so here's to getting past the 20% mark (yes, I'm an accountant...)!  I experienced some headaches early on, but now I only get them if I wait too long to eat.  I went away for the weekend with my sister, rented a cabin and brought all of my own food.  We did go to two restaurants, but I just stuck to salad with chicken and grilled chicken with veggies.  So far, so good.  I enjoy reading all of your posts and will attempt to be more active than just lookie-looing through the thread.

I have a considerable amount of weight to lose, but that's not why I'm doing this---I needed to make a change in my habits, and have an all-or-nothing mentality, so this seemed like a good way to go.  My former diet included a lot of pizza, beer, insert the name of all bad foods here....so it's good to get back to basics.  My first NSV came yesterday as I was getting dressed----some of the clothes I typically wear were in the laundry, so I decided to try on a pair of jean capris that I haven't worn in at least a year if not more (and last likely wore them at least 20 pounds ago).  I've not even thought they would fit, and I attribute that to being constantly bloated with water weight and everything else that goes along with eating such a poor diet.  Lo and behold, they fit.  Not even super tight fitting, actually wearable.  That's not to say that I think I've lost 20 pounds in a week, lol, but I'll take the augmented wardrobe, as I have another pair in that size that are pinstriped, yaaay!!

I have a job interview/lunch on Friday with the company that I chose to quit in March (before cruising to Europe and beyond for a month), so I suppose it's time to up the ante on planning if I do decide to go back to work for them.  Still not sure what to wear, though...... :)

In reading the label on Applegate Naturals Herb Turkey Breast the only thing I see is Carageenan (from seaweed) but I cannot remember if that's compliant.  Everything else is just herbs and salt.  Is it still non-compliant?

I think I might be a little confused about the fruit part.  Im not a fruit lover but I do like dates, figs, berries, apples. However I avoid them for the most part.  On this plan I should be getting SOME, right?  but when?  We're not really supposed to have 'snacks'.  and I dont particularly like eating fruit with my meat and veggies.  Can I have a couple figs or dates or berries after a meal, like a dessert, or is that not recommended?   Today I had a couple figs late afternoon as a snack since I was still at work.  

Archived