Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

For dinner I am going to make the Walnut Encrusted Pork Tenderloin and the Sweet Potato Soup out of the book.  My husband sounded happy about the soup.  I got some tuna at the store so I am going to have that and a salad for lunch.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lightening fast check in....work drama is escalating again....basically I'm down to working by myself which is something I can do.  The problem is...I've been doing it since mid-April now.  I only have two co-workers to begin with, and one is still in training, but they are alternating emergencies and medical issues to the point that we have literally only been staffed one day in nearly two months now.  And we haven't even hit their scheduled vacations yet.  (gritting teeth)

Long term trying to cover this much is really starting to wear me down since I already work 14-hour days with commute time included. 

On top of which I just volunteered to hostess a mocktail and cupcake party as a going away for one of the other girls in our office, hoot!  I'm a dead woman walking.

All is fine W30 wise though, headache and bloating issues are past and like a few others now I'm feeling a bit of loosening happening as a result so feeling much more myself in that regards.  I ordered some new work pants yesterday and while my finger kept hovering over the larger of the sizes I'm between right now, I forced it to click down on the smaller.  ;)

I did the roasted version of cauliflower rice and didn't really like it with my pork as well as I did last winter, so I swapped that out for salad greens under and pineapple salsa over the pulled pork...it's a beautiful looking lunch and feels less heavy so M2 is saved for this week!  Just hoping I don't burn out on salads since I also have a steak salad with cilantro green goddess dressing and a taco salad planned. 

how do you stay calm in the middle of all this?   the cauliflower rice was cauliflower already in a bag chopped up. maybe it will taste different if I get a real cauliflower.  Not sure I want to give that version of cauli a try again.. I like bag vegetables but this was like nuggets of I have no clue. Just nuggets with seasoning on it. 

can you eat beaf Jerky that primal stuff with carrots or a can of tuna for on the go?  eat the avocado . ????

• Moderators

Hey guys... for those of you asking about fruit... the recommendation is up to 1-2 fist sized servings a day, eaten with meals (not on their own and not as dessert).  HOWEVER... in the summer, when fruit is in season and readily available, if you want to eat more and it doesn't cause unpleasant side effects (like keeping your dragon alilve, causing cravings), go ahead... Melissa writes about whether you should break up with fruit here:

http://whole30.com/2015/06/dear-melissa-fruit/

Good Morning all!  Day 8 is starting off well.  I am off today so I got to sleep a bit later until the furry beasts decided it was time for me to wake up.  I just had breakfast and need to hit the store to get some stuff for lunch today.  I work at a grocery store but yesterday was such a long day that the last thing I wanted to do was shop, plus my husband stopped in and picked up food for dinner that we all ate.  By the way, my 22 year old son is doing his own version of the Whole 30.  He couldn't give up beer (he makes beer at home and he is 22) but he did give up soda and energy drinks and lost about 10 pounds just from doing that.  He also has had no bread and is eating much more healthier. 

At work we are planning to participate in a 5K.  I have always hated running and I don't work out, mostly because I was so tired all the time.  Now that my energy levels are up, I am pretty sure I  am going to do it.  We are going to meet once a week for some training with a trainer for 10 weeks until the 5K.  I think it will be fun...wait, did I just say that?!?!  YES, things are changing!

Sounds like your son's well on his way of making choices that works for his life style...and losing weight! Congratulations to him!

I'm so excited for you to do your 5k! I've participated in 3 over the past 2 years and loved every one. I'm addicted to them now. It's not just for the "runners" or serious marathoners. I've dragged my husband into the last 2 and he enjoyed both. It's really fun to see families out and people of all sizes and health. The last one we did we saw a girl with a cast on her leg, on crutches, while walking her dog. She had a partner helping her with the dog, but she wasn't going to give up! By the way, I also walk and run some parts of the race, just so I can beat my times. I'm currently using a Couch to 5k program that's rebooting me into running. I wish you the best and hope you enjoy the race!

Hey guys... for those of you asking about fruit... the recommendation is up to 1-2 fist sized servings a day, eaten with meals (not on their own and not as dessert).  HOWEVER... in the summer, when fruit is in season and readily available, if you want to eat more and it doesn't cause unpleasant side effects (like keeping your dragon alilve, causing cravings), go ahead... Melissa writes about whether you should break up with fruit here:

Thanks for the reminder. I hardly ate fruit before Whole 30 and ended up eating dairy or other gluten filled treats (I won't name them for the sake of everyone's sanity), but now, since I know I can eat fruit, I choose to eat it with my meals or not eat fruit at all. I feel like I have permission to eat fruit again after being on "diets" that don't "allow" fruit. (For lack of a better way of saying it) 

NSV! Have a very old pair of jeans that before my thyroid surgery I almost threw out because they were falling off of me.  Literally walking through the house and they'd start sliding off.  Well after surgery and until today, they had gotten so uncomfortably tight that I wasn't wanting to put them on. I usually wear them once a week as they are my lightest In color jeans which is important when checking the bees (dark colors mimic predators and they more readily sting). They are actually very comfortable and actually baggy in the rear end. An no longer sporting a muffin top when wearing them.  WOW!

Day 8..

Energy is up and I've already completed my 2 miles of walking/running, and ready to go outside to attack some yard work before it reaches 99 degrees today. I hope everyone's drinking plenty of water and enjoying those fresh vegetables. :)

B...2 fried eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, 1/2 of a banana and 1/2 of an apple...I shared with my husband and had the fruit because my 2 miles was planned today along with the yard work.

L...Tuna salad w/mayo, red onion, pickle, spring mix salad, sunflower seeds, 1/4c dried raisins (organic, no sugar added) 

D...Grilled burger, spring salad mix, cucumbers, tomatoes, homemade dressing.

this lady would not like *fully raw Christine* 

I bought a cantaloupe before I've finished reading and understanding the fruit relationship..

so, the only way to eat it is say a 1/4 with a meal..   

when fruit is in season buy, talk about challenge..  

to me, this is why a lot of people who have the best intentions fall off any program they may choose.  If you go raw, you're not getting protein if you do this you can't do that.. If your cave man you can't eat something we can.   

and it's all scary, just plain scary to be messing around with peoples bodies..  I'm worried now just thinking about the fruit on the counter..  

then you have the Juice man, eat lots of veggie juices add an apple for flavor. and now, now fruit juices.... 

God please keep in the right direction for my body...   that's all I ask.. 

Thanks for the reminder. I hardly ate fruit before Whole 30 and ended up eating dairy or other gluten filled treats (I won't name them for the sake of everyone's sanity), but now, since I know I can eat fruit, I choose to eat it with my meals or not eat fruit at all. I feel like I have permission to eat fruit again after being on "diets" that don't "allow" fruit. (For lack of a better way of saying it) 

EXACTLY..   and thank you for not naming those gluten filled treats. that irks me to no end to hear what the person did eat that is so not on plan, I'm talking in terms of sweets...   

am I being cranky pants now?  no , i'm not cranky. i get to go in my sewing room and sew and think about my next pork chop. or . If the mail man gets here I'll get to make tunafish and romaine lettuce and tomato and olives or avocado.. now doesn't that just make your mouth water???   lol  :D

NSV! Have a very old pair of jeans that before my thyroid surgery I almost threw out because they were falling off of me.  Literally walking through the house and they'd start sliding off.  Well after surgery and until today, they had gotten so uncomfortably tight that I wasn't wanting to put them on. I usually wear them once a week as they are my lightest In color jeans which is important when checking the bees (dark colors mimic predators and they more readily sting). They are actually very comfortable and actually baggy in the rear end. An no longer sporting a muffin top when wearing them.  WOW!

oh.. oh oh. so that's why beekeepers suits are white.   thanks for the info on color and bees..  I'll remember that..  

so what is there excuse for coming after me with yellow?   

Wow, so much going on I cant keep track!

Yay for NSV.....and LOTS of good real food being eaten!  

Gonegirl, I hear you on the honey....my brother ships me an avocado sage honey that he gets from a beekeeper. It is divine! I miss it...

it is just right here also. Can have the door open. Instead the other day I cooked..   because I had to.. I put the fan on and went for the Shephards pie.  Have you made that one yet? 

No Shepherds Pie yet.  I brought the book to the store, my son came with me.  We debated between that and the pork.  We also wanted the soup more so the pie had sweet potatoes on top I think so we went with the pork.

R1D8: I'm having a hell of a time getting out of bed in the morning and overslept the past two days! I seem to have more energy once I get to work though. I have my first potential derail today; my extended family is having a big pizza dinner, so I made a beef and cabbage stirfry with sweet potato last night to bring with me. 

Speaking of fruit, I have noticed that I have a Food With No Brakes - watermelon. I LOVE IT. I can literally eat a small personal watermelon in one sitting and, uh, have done so a few times in the past week because I love it so much. My goal now is to avoid buying it for a week, and after that, only in pre-packaged portions because I have zero control when it comes to that. 

Otherwise, doing well! I'm wearing a dress I can usually only wear when I'm 10+ pounds lighter and it looks great, and I've noticed that vegetables are tasting sweeter and more flavorful; my cravings for processed food are gone, hallelujah!

oh.. oh oh. so that's why beekeepers suits are white.   thanks for the info on color and bees..  I'll remember that..  

so what is there excuse for coming after me with yellow?   

Exactly why they're white.  And Lordy are they hot.  I only wear the veil (hood or head protection.  But I have to wear jeans, boots, long sleeved shirt and leather gloves.  I have a very large local reaction that will last two weeks from one sting.  So, I typically suit up more than other people who routinely work bees.  

Now as to why they're following you in yellow? That's honeybees anyway. I don't know about wasps and other types of bees.  LOL  Also, perfume attracts them like crazy!  Maybe if you were wearing perfume and yellow, they thought you were a flower?   :P

Wow, so much going on I cant keep track!

Yay for NSV.....and LOTS of good real food being eaten!  

Gonegirl, I hear you on the honey....my brother ships me an avocado sage honey that he gets from a beekeeper. It is divine! I miss it...

I could seriously be Winnie the Pooh!  Love honey.  Well, fresh honey.  It's got a different taste.  So funny that when we first tasted our own honey it had such an herbal quality to it. My husband said it tasted almost minty.  Well, we got tons of herbs including mint growing all around here!

It's funny because I was trying not to even try on clothes for comparison.  Now I'm wearing scrubs during the work week.  And let's face it, they tell you nothing! But, it was a happy to put those jeans on and not struggle!

Breakfast was veggie filled omelet and am still sipping on my coffee with ghee and a bit of coconut oil emulsion.

Lunch will be tuna salad with homemade mayo. Using veggies to "dip" the tuna salad.  Slices of squash and cucumber and carrot and maybe a piece of fruit.

Supper - undecided.  Have lots of leftovers.  Probably cauliflower rice, beef roast and veggies with some sort of fruit.

I did a lot of soul searching on the fruit.  I really don't feel it's a sugar dragon problem.  One night it was it the wrong place at the right time when I was withdrawing from processed stuff.  But now, I just see it as a really refreshing food.  Yes, it's sweet and yummy.  But I don't think it's problematic.  And to let it go to waste when it's so fresh would be a lot like throwing fresh veggies on the ground to watch them rot.  Wasteful and a shame when it's so delicious and nutritious.  And I've been nowhere near the limit on fruit in a day. So, for now, I'm keeping them in I think.

R1D8: I'm having a hell of a time getting out of bed in the morning and overslept the past two days! I seem to have more energy once I get to work though. I have my first potential derail today; my extended family is having a big pizza dinner, so I made a beef and cabbage stirfry with sweet potato last night to bring with me. 

Speaking of fruit, I have noticed that I have a Food With No Brakes - watermelon. I LOVE IT. I can literally eat a small personal watermelon in one sitting and, uh, have done so a few times in the past week because I love it so much. My goal now is to avoid buying it for a week, and after that, only in pre-packaged portions because I have zero control when it comes to that. 

Otherwise, doing well! I'm wearing a dress I can usually only wear when I'm 10+ pounds lighter and it looks great, and I've noticed that vegetables are tasting sweeter and more flavorful; my cravings for processed food are gone, hallelujah!

wow. that is awesome. I know what you mean about a little watermelon. It's so hydrating and just not over sweet.  I love them too..  but I won't buy one cause,  I'll be in trouble..  Come July.. I'm having some.. 

I hate to think my avocados I purchased will go bad. I only bought three but even at 1/2 a day that's 6 days and they are already really soft. 

when you make guacamole how much of that can you have? do we measure that out also? 

I'm sorry, I haven't finished either of my books to know it all, but there is a lot to take in.. In my brain I mean..  and still keep up with what else is going on like living. Not making an excuse but I may say anyone new, read the books first. not on get them on a monday and say you're doing it on wednesday. that's me.. 

and ya, I probably did smell like some big ol bug..   Plus they are near a rose bush   near my front door. 

Well it is official - I now hate eggs!   Started gagging as I tried to eat my scrambled eggs this morning.  Dog enjoyed them.  I am not getting any of this extra energy that is supposed to be happening.  Not sleeping well at night so hard to get out of bed in the morning.  Finding I am also getting muscle cramps (charlie horse) mostly in my legs, can't take magnesium because the powder I use has stevia in it.  All in all I am finding this diet is more work than it seem to be worth.  Lost 4.5 pounds in the first 5 days and nothing since YES I weighed myself to see if there is any reason to be going through this pain.  I think the weight loss is mostly due to having diarrhea for the first 5 days.  Not a healthy weight loss.  I am going grocery shopping today to stock the fridge with more veggies and meat but it is not looking good.  My resolve is dwindling and unless my energy increases and my food choices get easier I will be out in week 2.  

Yesterdays food

B= scrambled eggs with peppers, tomatos

l = green salad with cukes, peppers, tomatoes, chicken and bacon (fast food bought so not sure if there was sugar in the bacon, starting not to care)

d= new york steak, broccoli, salad, baked potato

snack - watermelon

today

b-scrambled eggs (maybe 1 = dog got the other two) cukes, tomato, yellow peppers.

L= meeting friend so will find some salad with chicken for lunch.

d= ? have to go shopping

• Moderators

I hate to think my avocados I purchased will go bad. I only bought three but even at 1/2 a day that's 6 days and they are already really soft. 

when you make guacamole how much of that can you have? do we measure that out also? 

I'm sorry, I haven't finished either of my books to know it all, but there is a lot to take in.. In my brain I mean..  and still keep up with what else is going on like living. Not making an excuse but I may say anyone new, read the books first. not on get them on a monday and say you're doing it on wednesday. that's me.. 

and ya, I probably did smell like some big ol bug..   Plus they are near a rose bush   near my front door. 

Put your avos into the fridge when they start to soften... they'll slow waaaay down on ripening and last for much longer.

The recommended intake for avocado per meal if that's your fat is half to a whole.. so if you make guacamole out of one avocado, eat half or all of it... if you make guacamole out of two avocados, divde that up by two or four... 

The idea is to get 4-5 hours between meals and fat is what helps do that... 

Wow, lots happening in here again. Day 8 already, we are more then 1/4 of the way thru!! whoo hoo!!

Gonegirl I am starting to think you are superwoman. The bees, the gardens, the critters, and work...I think you are amazing and I'm so happy to hear today is a better day then yesterday. And it is such a positive reinforcement when the clothes are loose!!

Tytbody - your posts literally make me LOL - (a big ol bug). When it comes to fruit try to incorporate it right into your meal. Apples and nectarines taste great in salads. I think one of the goals of whole 30 is to stop us from thinking about fruit/sugar as dessert. If you had some watermelon as a side dish, with your vegies, fat and protein you should be fine. And at the end of all this if you do a proper reintroduction you will learn about the foods that affect you negatively. Love your attitude about 1 meal at a time. 

Stravajunkie - sorry you had a rough day yesterday - love your challenge and can't wait for you to report back. 

BigMomma – a 5K, wow that’s awesome. I so wish I liked running.

Suzibeck – prayers for kitty, my 14yo daughter is very close to our 3 kitties  too and I can only imagine how stressful it is on you worrying about her and the kitty. .

Crimsann – sorry for your work drama sounds rough right now. Hope things improve quickly for you. Glad to hear whole 30 wise you doing good and things are “loosening”. 

So many more NSV's -  kudos to all of them and keep sharing!!

I have my daughters 8th grade dinner dance tonight - it's a catering hall and the food is buffet style. Having been to two of these before I know it will be hard to get anything not cooked in sauce, butter, etc except a salad. My plan:  - eat before I go. Worst part will be dealing with everybody asking me why I am not eating yadda yadda yadda. I am not one of those people who likes to broadcast my personal stuff. Probably why I love the boards so much because it's the place I really feel comfortable talking to others about it. So thank you all for being here!!

Happy Hump day All!!

• Moderators

Well it is official - I now hate eggs!   Started gagging as I tried to eat my scrambled eggs this morning.  Dog enjoyed them.  I am not getting any of this extra energy that is supposed to be happening.  Not sleeping well at night so hard to get out of bed in the morning.  Finding I am also getting muscle cramps (charlie horse) mostly in my legs, can't take magnesium because the powder I use has stevia in it.  All in all I am finding this diet is more work than it seem to be worth.  Lost 4.5 pounds in the first 5 days and nothing since YES I weighed myself to see if there is any reason to be going through this pain.  I think the weight loss is mostly due to having diarrhea for the first 5 days.  Not a healthy weight loss.  I am going grocery shopping today to stock the fridge with more veggies and meat but it is not looking good.  My resolve is dwindling and unless my energy increases and my food choices get easier I will be out in week 2.  

Yesterdays food

B= scrambled eggs with peppers, tomatos Where's your fat? How many eggs? When your sole source of protein it's as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping.  Did you eat 1-3 cups of peppers and tomato?

l = green salad with cukes, peppers, tomatoes, chicken and bacon (fast food bought so not sure if there was sugar in the bacon, starting not to care) Salad needs to be a wheelbarrow full because greens really chew/wilt down to nothing.  how much chicken?  The sugar was probably not the only bad thing in fastfood bacon... it's likely it had wheat and soy at least along wtih a lot of preservatives.

d= new york steak, broccoli, salad, baked potato What did you have for fat?

snack - watermelon

today

b-scrambled eggs (maybe 1 = dog got the other two) cukes, tomato, yellow peppers. No fat??

d= ? have to go shopping

Hey there LoriJJ... I'm so sorry you're not having a good time of it.  Looking at yesterdays meals, I would be feeling unpleasant too... have you seen the meal template?  Please take a look at it again and make your meals match... 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and added fat according to what kind you choose and the recommended portion.

I promise that if you eat to the meal template for three meals a day, that's where the magic is... I PROMISE!

Yesterdays food

l = green salad with cukes, peppers, tomatoes, chicken and bacon (fast food bought so not sure if there was sugar in the bacon, starting not to care)

snack - watermelon

today

b-scrambled eggs (maybe 1 = dog got the other two) cukes, tomato, yellow peppers.

d= ? have to go shopping

Hang in there, JJ.   Rather than eggs for breakfast, try having something you would normally have for lunch or dinner at that meal.   Or there are tons of NO EGG breakfast ideas on Pinterest. And here is link to eggless breakfast ideas:  http://whole30.com/2016/01/best-of-whole30-recipes-egg-less-breakfasts/

As for the cramps, it may be dehydration so drink more water!! The diarrhea is contributing to the dehydration.  Magnesium and potassium rich foods may help...try Bananas, dark leafy greens, acorn squash, salmon, avocado, and mushrooms.

There is so much support on this site...so many people who want to help you reach your goal.  It is challenging. And you may not see results or feel as great as some others do at this point. But it happens! And you are worth it! DONT QUIT! 

READ THIS: http://whole30.com/2014/01/do-you-really-want-to-quit/

and click here if you need more support: http://whole30.com/support/

Kelli

Put your avos into the fridge when they start to soften... they'll slow waaaay down on ripening and last for much longer.

The recommended intake for avocado per meal if that's your fat is half to a whole.. so if you make guacamole out of one avocado, eat half or all of it... if you make guacamole out of two avocados, divde that up by two or four... 

The idea is to get 4-5 hours between meals and fat is what helps do that... 

I have to make my time shorter because I don't have 4-5 hours awake or before bedtime.  if that makes sense, I'm making myself eat now, meal 2 so i can eat meal 3 at around 6 or 7 otherwise, it's too much food on my stomach before trying to get to bed by 11.. I seem to be not on the same time table of awakening so I'm probably not getting in enough food..  

Right now I had 1 can of tuna, albacore with the new Primal avocado mayo 1 tablespoon,  then I had 3 leaves of romaine lettuce,  4 olives and 1/4 cantaloupe. I better put that in the fridge also cause it's not liking my kitchen table..  (also can't eat cold fruit, have teeth sensitivity.)  Did this meal make it to template. ? I even brought the template down to the kitchen and looked to see if i had everything... lol 

thank, you on what to do with this avocado. i can save the last one by putting it in the fridge. I plan on eating the other half with who knows what later on..   it will be either the pork chop or the shepherd's pie.   

I will always have left overs from some meal because it's just me doing this..   (at least in this home) 

I have my daughters 8th grade dinner dance tonight - it's a catering hall and the food is buffet style. Having been to two of these before I know it will be hard to get anything not cooked in sauce, butter, etc except a salad. My plan:  - eat before I go. Worst part will be dealing with everybody asking me why I am not eating yadda yadda yadda. I am not one of those people who likes to broadcast my personal stuff. Probably why I love the boards so much because it's the place I really feel comfortable talking to others about it. So thank you all for being here!!

Happy Hump day All!!

that is anohte rreason we here to help each other be it hump day or the day you want to throw the baby out with the bath water;)  

I have no one at home or near to talk to about my journey either. not one soul. 

I've asked a girlfriend but I know it takes time to read but I want her to join for her health..  

if i get nothing else out of this, I will have learned how to stock my plate and make a few dishes, i don't plan on going back to anything I'm not doing now..   one huge except.. .  (eat rice)  I love rice.  

if i get nothing else out of this, I will have learned how to stock my plate and make a few dishes, i don't plan on going back to anything I'm not doing now..   one huge except.. .  (eat rice)  I love rice.  

Me too Cheryl...I love rice. Steamed rice with butter, to be exact. It was the first thing I re-introduced after my first W30 and I ate a whole bowl. My stomach hurt so bad afterwards. So I took it slow after that and had just a little bit at a time. Rice. It will be my huge except too!   :P

Yesterdays food

snack - watermelon

today

d= ? have to go shopping

Lori, 

You are in the right spot.  

we do care and i care that you do not stop.   

you had a few hiccups but the moderators are here to  help you understand that hickup.  

you do care or else you would not be attempting this program . 

I say keep going. One meal at a time..  

if your pants aren't slipping yet.  so what. it's your body.  we are told not to measure anyone else success by ours,

I have done that with my granddaughter. wonder why her teeth aren't in yet and I know another baby just 3 weeks older and has a mouth like 6 of them and 'm not talking just rices either, I'm talking bite your nipple of teeth..  (her momma told me about the bitting)   and, I've seen them. 

But my granddaughter is still who she is and she is beautiful and she will cut those teeth in her time..    

so you come on, your teeth aren't ready to cut yet but they are there . 

I want to hear from you tomorrow even if it's one meal at a time..  post what you got so it can get evaluated and help will come for the next one. 

Archived