Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

OOohhhhh nooo!

I just tore into the salad I got from our cafeteria and realized I made a big blunder - I'm so sad, and amazed at how my body is already reacting. I looked over the menu published for this week and thought today would be one that I could do. It had the protein and a salad, bread that I could pass pretty easily. Well I got back to my desk and shoved a forkful of salad in my mouth and realized as I was chewing that there were seeds and probably sugar in the dressing. What a great lesson for me that I need to ASK if I'm not sure. I think I thought I would have a naked salad and put my own dressing on it, and then didn't stop to really think when the dressing was on there for me.

I've been really relishing the energy surge over yesterday and today, and so enjoy this group, I hope you won't mind if I stick with you all and then add on another week to the end of my 30.

I mentioned that my body is reacting - and what I mean by that is that I have a vague sense of a sugar rush in my head as a result. Just goes to show how powerful that sugar is!!  Argh - how frustrating, but I'm grateful for the lesson.

Press on all! I so agree that this is hard, and learning what each of our bodies need, that's so different from one another, is the toughest part for me too.

We got this!!

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Cotton Candy" grapes, organic, etc. OMG. They taste like a sugar bomb. No joke. I'm actually posting this because I think I will try to avoid them in future. 

My child who would always and only eat candy if it were a viable option LOVES the cotton candy grapes!  They are a sugar bomb -- way too much for me!

Christine -  I'm eating a lot of broccoli and cauliflower, is that bad?

No, it's not bad, or it shouldn't be.  Some people are less tolerant to the higher "FODMAP" foods though, for various reasons. GIve it a few more days, and if you find broccoli/ cauliflower/ brussel sprouts still create lots of bloating, it's good to try to figure out what digestive issues might be present.  I've been working with a functional nutritionist and also a naturopathic doctor for a few months to try to find the causes and healthy solutions.  You mentioned mineral water, too, and after drinking a LOT of it for a couple of days, I really think that causes some extra bloating for me.  The good thing is that taking out the major problematic foods can help you figure out what other things might bother you.  I would have never suspected eggs were a problem for me.  The reintroduction of foods is a really helpful phase for that reason, too.    

I realized this morning that breakfast is my most challenging meal of the day.. Do any of you guys struggle with breakfast? What works for you?

Yes, I never want to eat either until I've been up at least a couple hours.  Having a breakfast ready to go is extremely helpful, and I am fine with eating exactly the same thing every single day for breakfast for years on end if I am in love with it.  I have never like sweet things in the morning, not juice, not sweet ANYthing (until I started drinking coffee that is, but even that could be easily ruined for me if too sweet).  Also I like really spicy food, even in the morning, and I love Indian food... so here's my current breakfast which is a spicy saag I could eat for a very long time and not get tired of it.  I make it up about every 5 days in the crockpot in the evening or overnight and was also cooking up a batch of medium-boiled eggs (using chicken or other leftover protein now), so now I have breakfast ready for a few days.  Down in the comments you can read how to use bags of frozen greens if cooking fresh ones is too much work.

http://myheartbeets.com/sarson-ka-saag-slow-cooker/

Oh - my family eats all my protein, too!  The other day I made a Thai chicken curry stirfry with a ton of veggies and left enough in the pan for my next day's lunch.  When my nice husband started "cleaning up" afterwards, he also cleaned up all the chicken pieces!  Every time he walked by the stove he ate them until they were ALL gone!!  

:) I love riding probably too much...riding has been the foundational habit that makes me feel alive, gives me energy for the rest of life, clears my head, balances my moods, gives me a sense of "play" as an adult with way to much going on between work and kids....yeah ok like I said-I probably like it too much :) But I tell my husband my bike is the cheapest and most available therapist out there!

I notice that exercise makes me crave stuff I should be eating...

A win for me yesterday: It was a crazy stressful day, the kind of day that Martha Stewart would probably have saved with a lovely and creative family meal, but hey, I'm not her, so I was slinging leftover pizza on the table and answering 5 million texts about kid's sports schedules, and was literally IN THE ACT of peeling off some nice melty mozzarella when I thought "wait a second-IT'S NOT WORTH IT" and tossed it back. 

Yes!  I love riding... to be outside, in the wind, my body moving... way back when I got into more serious riding, I started as a means of controlling my weight, but it quickly lost any semblance of exercise I needed or had to do... I craved my rides.  And definitely when I would go on long rides, all I'd want afterwards would be some fruit and water (what my body needed, imagine that).

Great job taking the cheese back out of your mouth, haha!  I've avoided breads and many processed foods for a long time because so many contained soy which I don't tolerate, but when I'm fixing things for my family, even though I don't automatically put any pizza crust or breads in my mouth, I have caught myself almost mindlessly eating a little slice of cheese or licking the spoon of a smoothie with yogurt!  (Yes, I know I need to work on my family's diets too, but first things first.)   

This water bottle syncs with your phone and when you drink form it, it knows how much you drank and syncs that number to your iPhone.. I think who ever invented it did a fantastic job..     Just hope it works as they advertise..     the person that me about it loves hers.  So, I'm going in for the water count. 

There's also an app called Aqualert to track and remind you to drink more water.  I haven't used it yet, but another holistic health professional/ friend recommends it.

I think I might be a little confused about the fruit part.  Im not a fruit lover but I do like dates, figs, berries, apples. However I avoid them for the most part.  On this plan I should be getting SOME, right?  but when?  We're not really supposed to have 'snacks'.  and I dont particularly like eating fruit with my meat and veggies.  Can I have a couple figs or dates or berries after a meal, like a dessert, or is that not recommended?   Today I had a couple figs late afternoon as a snack since I was still at work.  

I need a little guidance here also about fruit.  Any comments, Moderator?  I tend to not each much fruit because of the sugar content, but I find I'm really enjoying it now.  I usually eat it when I'm starving before dinner and need a little something to hold me over for 45 minutes, or a little "dessert" after dinner which maybe I shouldn't be doing?  

We have 2 furkids (labs) and completely understand! 

After the one night of such great sleep, the next night I woke up after 5 hours and could not get back to sleep for over an hour!  That was the day I had a little caffeine (but at 8 am), and I also had an awful dream (involving a rat - no more details!).  My sweet dog is really old, and between her needing out in the middle of the night one or two times and me drinking so much water I have to get up one or two times (but not when she does), my sleep is getting interrupted!  The Natural Calm last night really did help, although I had trouble getting to sleep to start with even though it was later (too late). 

I DO miss beer, wine and cheese, however, but not craving, just missing them like old friends.  ;)

I'm missing the wine too but definitely not having cravings.  However, I can tell my sleep is so much better without it, even with the dog waking me up all night!

Great job, everyone!  Hang in there this week!  If it hasn't gotten a little easier already, it should after another week, and everyone who has stuck with it says it's totally worth it!  

:)

LoriJJ - just quickly... thanks for your honesty in the struggle of this.  The first time I started, everyone else seemed so happy about the whole thing and the posts were so rosy, but I was miserable!  I just couldn't stand eating all the animal protein.  So I didn't eat enough of anything including fats and felt like my next 3 weeks would consist of eating not enough calories in vegetables and choking down everything else.  I could tell I was losing too much weight and felt like it wasn't good or healthy for me, so I quit.  But when I quit I started eating exactly like before I started, which wasn't horrible, but was way too much for my system to handle, and within a day I felt really bad.  Within two days I decided I needed to go back and figure out how to make it work for me.  I may not be eating quite enough animal protein, but I am finding recipes I like and trying to follow the template as closely as I can, and it does work.  I totally get where you are, and we are here to support you, so please... if it's possible for you to follow the template exactly for just a few more days before you give up, do that and see how you feel.    

wow. that is awesome. I know what you mean about a little watermelon. It's so hydrating and just not over sweet.  I love them too..  but I won't buy one cause,  I'll be in trouble..  Come July.. I'm having some.. 

Yeah, and I didn't think it was that bad because aside from watermelon (sigh), my cravings for sweet have stopped, which is amazing! My bulletproof coffee and coffee with coconut milk actually taste sweeter now that I'm not drowning my tastebuds with sugar and Splenda. But because it makes me ignore my satiety alarm, which has finally gotten fine-tuned on Whole30, it might be best to avoid for a while.

It has been busy in here today!

LoriJJ please don't give up.  We are 1/4 of the way through.  I know you posted what you are eating and I don't see any fat listed.  That is probably the only reason I am able to do this.  I am Italian, so I lived on carbs:  bread. pasta, cheese, I ate 2 out of three of these every day.  While my meal template isn't perfect all the time, I make sure I have the fat.  I was never a big fruit eater so I tell myself when I have it with a meal that it is my dessert (even though it isn't).  If the headache and fatigue feel like a hangover, treat it like a hangover and drink more.  When I wake up in the morning that is how I feel and I drink.  I have had leg cramps the first few nights.  When I drink red wine I tend to get them so I would bring a bottle of water to bed with me.  When the cramp wakes me up, I drink the water.  So that is what I have been doing.  The second day I had some diarrhea so I made sure that I was adding more protein than I thought I needed to my huge salad lunch.

While I am by no means an expert but I know me.  I knew when I started this after reading a lot about the struggles and triggers people had that I needed to make sure that I was prepared for certain things.  I don't mean meal planning and that kind of stuff but how my body reacts to not having certain things or having way more of things than I am used to.  For example if I had salty things, then I wanted (and usually ate) chocolate.  So I stay away from a lot of salt.  The first few days I was hungry sooner than I expected, so I made bigger meals and added a baked potato with ghee or avocado because they fill me up and leave me satisfied.

The challenge I have is eating breakfast first thing in the morning and making it before my coffee.  It's a wonder I haven't burned the house down!  I am in a coma before my coffee.  Plus I still have that headache but I eat my eggs and whatever else with my coffee and the headache is gone within an hour.  While the eggs are doing their thing I have some water first. 

The reward has been how I feel 2-3 hours after eating.  I don't feel the need for a nap.  4-5 hours after eating I am not feeling like the littlest thing will upset me.  In other words think about what you used to eat, what worked for you and what didn't before you started this.  Try to incorporate compliant alternatives.

I don't know if my babbling on is any help but I thought I would share what my approach has been. 

I think I might be a little confused about the fruit part.  Im not a fruit lover but I do like dates, figs, berries, apples. However I avoid them for the most part.  On this plan I should be getting SOME, right?  but when?  We're not really supposed to have 'snacks'.  and I dont particularly like eating fruit with my meat and veggies.  Can I have a couple figs or dates or berries after a meal, like a dessert, or is that not recommended?   Today I had a couple figs late afternoon as a snack since I was still at work.  

Katrine,

from what I understand  you can have a piece of fruit but it's suppose to be after your meals.. 

on that shopping list it says all fruit is allowed on Whole30. it says occasionally 

This thread's been HOPPING! So I think some folks may have missed this post by the lovely SugarcubeOD about fruits. :)

Hey guys... for those of you asking about fruit... the recommendation is up to 1-2 fist sized servings a day, eaten with meals (not on their own and not as dessert).  HOWEVER... in the summer, when fruit is in season and readily available, if you want to eat more and it doesn't cause unpleasant side effects (like keeping your dragon alilve, causing cravings), go ahead... Melissa writes about whether you should break up with fruit here:

http://whole30.com/2015/06/dear-melissa-fruit/

Well it is official - I now hate eggs!   Started gagging as I tried to eat my scrambled eggs this morning.  Dog enjoyed them.  I am not getting any of this extra energy that is supposed to be happening.  Not sleeping well at night so hard to get out of bed in the morning.  Finding I am also getting muscle cramps (charlie horse) mostly in my legs, can't take magnesium because the powder I use has stevia in it.  All in all I am finding this diet is more work than it seem to be worth.  Lost 4.5 pounds in the first 5 days and nothing since YES I weighed myself to see if there is any reason to be going through this pain.  I think the weight loss is mostly due to having diarrhea for the first 5 days.  Not a healthy weight loss.  I am going grocery shopping today to stock the fridge with more veggies and meat but it is not looking good.  My resolve is dwindling and unless my energy increases and my food choices get easier I will be out in week 2.  

Yesterdays food

B= scrambled eggs with peppers, tomatos

l = green salad with cukes, peppers, tomatoes, chicken and bacon (fast food bought so not sure if there was sugar in the bacon, starting not to care)

d= new york steak, broccoli, salad, baked potato

snack - watermelon

today

b-scrambled eggs (maybe 1 = dog got the other two) cukes, tomato, yellow peppers.

L= meeting friend so will find some salad with chicken for lunch.

d= ? have to go shopping

It's so frustrating when we feel this way, isn't it? My heart goes out to you. Your body's certainly adjusting to all this healthiness. I hope your stress levels are low too. 

This is going to sound weird, okay, it's just weird, but when I was getting through the first days of detoxing, I ate a few pickles and a tablespoon of the pickle juice to fight the pain in my legs...the salt is amazing, but I drink a LOT of water too. There's just something about a good pickle in a tuna salad. :)

I sure wish you a peaceful nights sleep so your body can heal and rest. :)

EXACTLY..   and thank you for not naming those gluten filled treats. that irks me to no end to hear what the person did eat that is so not on plan, I'm talking in terms of sweets...   

am I being cranky pants now?  no , i'm not cranky. i get to go in my sewing room and sew and think about my next pork chop. or . If the mail man gets here I'll get to make tunafish and romaine lettuce and tomato and olives or avocado.. now doesn't that just make your mouth water???   lol  :D

I wish I could sew....that would keep my hands busy for sure! I'm the odd duck that would say..YES! That tuna does sound good! lol :)

Butternut squash is now my friend.  

My GM used to make this at Thanksgiving, I hated it. Did you hear me, I hated squash..  

well. today, I had a bag of Butternut in the fridge from WF.. I microwaved it.  Mashed it and put one of those spices and apple spice in it, put in the Ghee and coconut milk, whipped that baby up in the Ninja and boy was it GOOD. Now, 'm not afraid of butternut squash.. 

MOF: I had enough to have for M1 tomorrow. 

The rest of the meal was left over pork chop, string beans with Ghee, .. did I have enough stuff on my plate? 

I"m realy digging this eating, 'm not digging the darn dishes.. and it seems the paper plates don't hold enough.. 

Yay!  Toby Kitty is feeling much better this evening!  He had a partial blockage in his intestines.  He was vomiting plenty from Monday night through Tuesday night. Lots of fluids, including sub-q (vet pushed them in via needle into his back so he had a hump back last night) and my daughter giving feeding him via syringe.  He isn't back to normal yet but has definitely turned the corner.

Much less stress today and I'm craving more!  

Another NSV though.  I just got home from a 3 mile walk and usually by the end of the walk my hands are puffy and stiff.  Tonight, they are perfectly normal!

Hi all! Did anyone else notice the topic has 311 replies? Haha...best group ever!

I'm reading a lot of weight or inch loss posts....help!i don't feel like I'm starving. I don't feel like I'm overeating. I also don't feel like I'm getting any smaller. Anyone else?

Hi all! Did anyone else notice the topic has 311 replies? Haha...best group ever!

I'm reading a lot of weight or inch loss posts....help!i don't feel like I'm starving. I don't feel like I'm overeating. I also don't feel like I'm getting any smaller. Anyone else?

Maybe it depends how your body was pre Whole 30.  I know my belly was pretty big, I'm overweight and I don't exercise (unless you count the 18,000 steps I get at work).  If you were in good shape and exercising before it may be more about how you are feeling (energy, sleep, etc.) than seeing immediate weight changes.

• Moderators

Don't dwell on that. This is a 30 day program and it's Day 7 for you folks. Just keep going eating healthy foods to the template. This is not a weightloss diet.

Yay!  Toby Kitty is feeling much better this evening!  He had a partial blockage in his intestines.  He was vomiting plenty from Monday night through Tuesday night. Lots of fluids, including sub-q (vet pushed them in via needle into his back so he had a hump back last night) and my daughter giving feeding him via syringe.  He isn't back to normal yet but has definitely turned the corner.

Much less stress today and I'm craving more!  

Another NSV though.  I just got home from a 3 mile walk and usually by the end of the walk my hands are puffy and stiff.  Tonight, they are perfectly normal!

Yea. The kitty is on the mend.

Also. 3 miles is awesome.

I had to buy a carriage so I can walk as long as I want. :). Didn't walk today though . Didn't exercise either.

But I did meditate. :).

I did get a nightgown cut out

Maybe it depends how your body was pre Whole 30.  I know my belly was pretty big, I'm overweight and I don't exercise (unless you count the 18,000 steps I get at work).  If you were in good shape and exercising before it may be more about how you are feeling (energy, sleep, etc.) than seeing immediate weight changes.

BM. What do you do for work to get 18,000 steps in ?

BM. What do you do for work to get 18,000 steps in ?

I work for great grocery store chain, I see you are in Mass., there are now 4 of them in your state.  I'm a manager in charge of, wait, are you ready?  Of the Pizza, Sub Shop, Coffee Shop, Catering and I help oversee the food bars.  So I'm guessing you can understand why I am proud to have stuck to this for 8 days.  It also helps that I work there because I have plenty of options, a great organic supply and I don't have to plan (which is good for me) because this great compliant food is right there waiting for me.

I am surrounded all day by so much temptation but on the other hand I have so many healthy options.

I hate to think my avocados I purchased will go bad. I only bought three but even at 1/2 a day that's 6 days and they are already really soft. 

when you make guacamole how much of that can you have? do we measure that out also? 

I'm sorry, I haven't finished either of my books to know it all, but there is a lot to take in.. In my brain I mean..  and still keep up with what else is going on like living. Not making an excuse but I may say anyone new, read the books first. not on get them on a monday and say you're doing it on wednesday. that's me.. 

and ya, I probably did smell like some big ol bug..   Plus they are near a rose bush   near my front door. 

Hey tytbodyin30.  I appreciate your posts a lot.  glad you stayed here!

I just wanted to share with you that the It All Starts With Food book is available on audio for download on Audible if you are interested in listening instead of reading.  Its really great because Melissa and Dallas take turns reading the chapters and its really fun to hear them.  You could sew and 'read' at the same time!   :D

Day 8 done!!! Stressful day for me, but found the salad bar at whole foods is wonderful! They have the ingredients listen for everything which made it easy for me to make a compliant salad. I'm really bloated today, but I know that's normal following the timeline. This weekend will be a tough one, I have 2 baby showers and a birthday party... I'm dreading it! I know there will be tempting foods and probably not much for me to eat. I'll have to pack my own meals and bring them I guess!

Today I have a meeting in the morning and when arrive there will be all kinds of goodies for breakfast.  I will not partake unless they have fruit.  Lunch will be a challenge because at lunchtime I have to drive back to where I work and make sure I get a bunch of stuff done, so it will be lunch at the desk.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Don't dwell on that. This is a 30 day program and it's Day 7 for you folks. Just keep going eating healthy foods to the template. This is not a weightloss diet.

No, I am definitely not dwelling on the weight loss.  I need this to get rid of all my stomach issues, headaches, and general just feeling like crapiness. lol  I was just figuring that since I am very out of shape and about 50 lbs overweight that I'd be feeling a little different in the pants.  haha.  

I will say, though, that I am in a much better mood and my sex drive has increased.  So, that's great!  

THIS made me smile :D. Glad I'm not alone in this thought...and better moods ;).   

No, I am definitely not dwelling on the weight loss.  I need this to get rid of all my stomach issues, headaches, and general just feeling like crapiness. lol  I was just figuring that since I am very out of shape and about 50 lbs overweight that I'd be feeling a little different in the pants.  haha.  

I will say, though, that I am in a much better mood and my sex drive has increased.  So, that's great!  

R1D8: I'm having a hell of a time getting out of bed in the morning and overslept the past two days! I seem to have more energy once I get to work though. I have my first potential derail today; my extended family is having a big pizza dinner, so I made a beef and cabbage stirfry with sweet potato last night to bring with me. 

Heytrace - good luck with your challenge today - you can do it! Something that I've found helpful in those situations is to GO IN FULL. Meaning, eat something *before* you go. Doesn't have to be huge, just satiating. My go to is a handful of nuts. I find it easier to make good food choices if I'm not hungry + tempted.

when you make guacamole how much of that can you have? do we measure that out also? 

Tytbody - eat about the same amount as a 1/2 or whole avocado. So like 1/2 - 1 cup. Or more! This is a good fat, so don't be shy!

Archived