Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Heytrace- Just wondering: How did your family event go? My fiance's family does a similar get-together every Sunday and I'm a bit nervous for my first Whole 30 Sunday Dinner. Where there any comments or criticisms you had to navigate? I hope it went well for you!

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

No, I am definitely not dwelling on the weight loss.  I need this to get rid of all my stomach issues, headaches, and general just feeling like crapiness. lol  I was just figuring that since I am very out of shape and about 50 lbs overweight that I'd be feeling a little different in the pants.  haha.  

I will say, though, that I am in a much better mood and my sex drive has increased.  So, that's great!  

Oh good!  That's wonderful~  Apologies for my rather short response last night... the keyboard on my ipad isn't working so it makes typing longer responses a bit difficult!  

So far so good today. Frittata for breakfast. Lots of veggies with it. Added fat in my coffee that I drank AFTER my breakfast. Have had plenty of water so far. Just had lunch of roast beef with cauliflower rice. A few blueberries and walnuts for my fat. I'm actually feeling more energetic than I have in a while. This is my day 10. Hope everyone is doing well.

Work better today. Less physically intense. Less pain at present!

I will say, though, that I am in a much better mood and my sex drive has increased.  So, that's great!  

Sex Drive. What the heck is that..  I know how to land drive but Sex drive is so so gone. You're lucky you can still do that..  

ha ha. you do feel different in your pants. you're horny lol    :P

THIS made me smile :D. Glad I'm not alone in this thought...and better moods ;).   

I thought it was my prozac doing that..   :D

Heytrace - good luck with your challenge today - you can do it! Something that I've found helpful in those situations is to GO IN FULL. Meaning, eat something *before* you go. Doesn't have to be huge, just satiating. My go to is a handful of nuts. I find it easier to make good food choices if I'm not hungry + tempted.

Tytbody - eat about the same amount as a 1/2 or whole avocado. So like 1/2 - 1 cup. Or more! This is a good fat, so don't be shy!

Bought some red onions today so I will give that last Avocado a wack.. thank you. 

Heytrace- Just wondering: How did your family event go? My fiance's family does a similar get-together every Sunday and I'm a bit nervous for my first Whole 30 Sunday Dinner. Where there any comments or criticisms you had to navigate? I hope it went well for you!

I don't know why people always comment and not in a good way when you're doing something good for your body.. I think they want you to stay miserable, sick or unhappy like they are just because they can drink drinks and have pepsi... ;) 

Hi all! Did anyone else notice the topic has 311 replies? Haha...best group ever!

I'm reading a lot of weight or inch loss posts....help!i don't feel like I'm starving. I don't feel like I'm overeating. I also don't feel like I'm getting any smaller. Anyone else?

Hey Mumdee!

Just FYI, I am not feeling any smaller-if anything my belly is more poochy than usual because of the additional fiber and getting adjusted to that again...But from past experience I think you'll start to see your face looking leaner, and gradually see the 'cosmetic' improvements, as time goes on...

Hi all:

This will be brief...busy work day today....

I did better with template meals yesterday, but not fabulous. SO-today, I'm REALLY focusing on not putting *anything* in my mouth that isn't already on my plate. And REALLY focusing on sitting down to eat. It Starts With Food talks about enjoying your food, and I think that's the key for me: slowing down and savoring, rather than gulping the first plate, then going for a 2nd plate because neither my body or my brain registers "you have eaten". It's not an issue of physical hunger, it's an issue of psychological hunger of sorts. The problem is when I keep eating, I end up not hungry for the next meal, so I under-eat, and can't make it to the following meal, eat a snack, eat more of a snack, then I'm not hungry for a meal again....!

To the gal who mentioned cramping being an issue: 2 things: 1) you can get magnesium capsules that are compliant, they're cheap on amazon, Mag. Citrate seems to be most helpful. 2) as an athlete of sorts, cramps are the devil and I have struggled with them on the W30 too. One thing I find is I need to be careful not to inadvertently go too low carb. Kicking in some extra sweet potatoes/other starchier veggies helps a bunch. At least for me.

Oh good!  That's wonderful~  Apologies for my rather short response last night... the keyboard on my ipad isn't working so it makes typing longer responses a bit difficult!  

It's ok...my responses are always short.  haha   :P

Hi everyone.  What a beautiful gorgeous lovely day! Took a stroll during lunch, so many people out and about enjoying the weather. 

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good at this point!  

Thanks for the tips about compliant magnesium...I had killer leg cramps last night!  I think a contributing factor is that I wear high heels all day and didnt drink enough water. :(   I need to check out the water app you guys were discussing.

Any good recipes on the menu tonight?

Tytbody, I make a butternut squash soup with coconut milk and I swear it is the creamiest stuff and I eat it all myself. My husband says it looks and tastes like baby food. So, more for me! I crumble bacon on top and it is awesome stuff!  

Soon, we will all forget what day we are on!!  Feels good, doesnt it?

Greetings! I started June 6th with my husband, but thought I'd try to check in here because it seems to be where the action is!

Day 4 and doing well, as is hubby. This isn't too much of a difference for me, except that I usually eat leftover dinners for my lunch, all those pasta-y and bread-y things that I'm now not making for dinner. My husband is doing awesome, considering he never ate breakfast, ate fast food for lunch, and then got heartburn from whatever homemade dinner we'd prepared! Also we are both probably moderate drinkers-a couple glasses every night, AND he chews. So considering his starting point, he's rocking it. I make breakfast and lunch for us both, and so far we LOVE breakfast and would consider it for lunch too if we were home to cook it! Lunch is a salad with leftover dinner protein on top, and we are keeping dinner simple, grill protein, roast a veggie, add a salad and a fat. Our kids have unwittingly joined us perfectly for the past two nights.

I am a crossfitter, felt affected by something-not sure what slowed me down, just the first night, last night was fabulous. Today I'm trying something new to me, going to yoga. I've done it a few times but nothing I felt an affinity to, now at 44, I'm feeling like at least one day of a slower stretchier exercise might be worth my while. I run only when pressed, my daughter and I have run a couple of fun 5ks, but nothing serious.

Anyway, looking forward to checking in here and seeing successes!

Hi everyone.  What a beautiful gorgeous lovely day! Took a stroll during lunch, so many people out and about enjoying the weather. 

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good at this point!  

Tytbody, I make a butternut squash soup with coconut milk and I swear it is the creamiest stuff and I eat it all myself. My husband says it looks and tastes like baby food. So, more for me! I crumble bacon on top and it is awesome stuff!  

Soon, we will all forget what day we are on!!  Feels good, doesnt it?

now that's a they we look forward to.  forgetting what day it is.. sounds great..  

now that I've had it and like it, would you share your butternut squash recipe for soup

Greetings! I started June 6th with my husband, but thought I'd try to check in here because it seems to be where the action is!

Day 4 and doing well, as is hubby. This isn't too much of a difference for me, except that I usually eat leftover dinners for my lunch, all those pasta-y and bread-y things that I'm now not making for dinner. My husband is doing awesome, considering he never ate breakfast, ate fast food for lunch, and then got heartburn from whatever homemade dinner we'd prepared! Also we are both probably moderate drinkers-a couple glasses every night, AND he chews. So considering his starting point, he's rocking it. I make breakfast and lunch for us both, and so far we LOVE breakfast and would consider it for lunch too if we were home to cook it! Lunch is a salad with leftover dinner protein on top, and we are keeping dinner simple, grill protein, roast a veggie, add a salad and a fat. Our kids have unwittingly joined us perfectly for the past two nights.

I am a crossfitter, felt affected by something-not sure what slowed me down, just the first night, last night was fabulous. Today I'm trying something new to me, going to yoga. I've done it a few times but nothing I felt an affinity to, now at 44, I'm feeling like at least one day of a slower stretchier exercise might be worth my while. I run only when pressed, my daughter and I have run a couple of fun 5ks, but nothing serious.

Anyway, looking forward to checking in here and seeing successes!

Hi K-Hoo;)  

this is the place. This is the family..   we came together pretty smoothly I think.  

just the sound of drinks / wine and bready stuff sounds like stuffingot me. lIke stuffing a turkey.    You're going to get rid of that Turkey by Summer.. 

and this is not a Nutrisystem Commercial.... lol     Look great by summer.  According to my calendar Summer is June 21 right.. So you will be Summer body ready all the time now. ;)  

the other rewards are I'm sure you hubby will love it and the kids will wonder where's mom?  lol  :D

I don't know what slowed me down today. I actually took that nap I hear them speak of?   weird. I just new to lay down and it's not even hot here.. 

so .. i did.. 

I never run.. I attempt exercise when I'm feeling great, in the from of Kettlebells or Yoga for stretching. .  No running, just not my forte.    My sizable breasts said no and I didn't want to fight with those girls..  So I leave it alone.. they are not a kin of Downward dog either..   :P

this is the place. This is the family..   we came together pretty smoothly I think.  

Yes, this is where the action and fun is.  I'm too busy reading pages and pages to have time to eat, haha!!  :D  However, all y'all (if I were from the South which I'm not) with just a white head and gray background really need to have some sort of picture so I can keep you and your comments all straight.  Except MumDee who keeps changing her picture and really trying to mess with us!  Hope everyone is having a great day!   

now that's a they we look forward to.  forgetting what day it is.. sounds great..  

now that I've had it and like it, would you share your butternut squash recipe for soup

Butternut Squash Recipe:  http://paleoleap.com/butternut-squash-soup/

I never run.. I attempt exercise when I'm feeling great, in the from of Kettlebells or Yoga for stretching. .  No running, just not my forte.    My sizable breasts said no and I didn't want to fight with those girls..  So I leave it alone.. they are not a kin of Downward dog either..   :P

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!  I run but I strap those things down with the highest supportive sports bra I can find. They dont move!

TY!!! tytbodyin30 for the instruction re: replying using the Quote - I felt like a goof that I couldn't see how to do that.

Feeling that energy coming on today. Yeah! Thank goodness the headache is gone! It was killer. 

Here I am at 4pm again today and I've got the hungries - am going to have to figure out how to make my lunch a bit bigger so it lasts me until dinner. (lunch today was a grass fed beef hot dog - no bun - our cafeteria served - she knows many of us are trying to be conscientious about that - and a salad that I put many olives on with the veggies and oil/vin dressing. Should have asked for a second hot dog perhaps). Maybe more water in the afternoon would help too. I sometimes forget to keep that consistent.

Thank you!!!!

Hey Mumdee!

Just FYI, I am not feeling any smaller-if anything my belly is more poochy than usual because of the additional fiber and getting adjusted to that again...But from past experience I think you'll start to see your face looking leaner, and gradually see the 'cosmetic' improvements, as time goes on...

I'm still feeling "big" in my stomach and thighs area, but I try to keep reminding myself, I didn't gain the weight in 9 days, so I can't expect to lose any weight overnight! I'm trying really hard not to focus on that, but to focus on how good I feel, how strong I feel making these healthy decisions everyday for my body and that is empowering! I feel healthier and more active in general and I KNOW the weight will come off naturally if I keep living this way and it's a real lifestyle change! 

I'm still feeling "big" in my stomach and thighs area, but I try to keep reminding myself, I didn't gain the weight in 9 days, so I can't expect to lose any weight overnight! I'm trying really hard not to focus on that, but to focus on how good I feel, how strong I feel making these healthy decisions everyday for my body and that is empowering! I feel healthier and more active in general and I KNOW the weight will come off naturally if I keep living this way and it's a real lifestyle change! 

Earoti, Non scale victories are so important for us to remember so congratulations on focusing on how strong you feel making healthy decisions!! We all know this isn't a weight loss program but we are always so easily affected by the number on the scale. Don't let that number define you. And try not to compare yourself with what someone else lost or how their pants fit, etc.during whatever day we are on. Comparison is the thief of joy!  Think about your improved mood, or something you were able to give up and not miss, your kicking the sugar/sweetener habit, whatever. Think about how much you've learned. We are all different but we are making great progress, whether you can see it or not!   :)

Ugh.  Today was a rough one.  I went to my meeting and then they gave us lunch.  There was only one thing I could eat and I still had to pick stuff off it.  Then I decide to go downstairs and at least hit the salad bar.  The line was long at the checkout and by the time I got back up there they were waiting to start the meeting back up.  I barely ate any of it.  Then I find out I have to work tomorrow.

Needless to say that when I came home I was hangry.  My plate was template but it was a big plate!  Hamburger patties with fried onions, baby zucchini and snow peas.  I fried the onions with the burgers so I am pretty sure I got enough fat. 

I'm happy to see that everyone is doing well.  I made the sweet potato soup yesterday.  I liked the flavor but the texture was off for me.  I actually used the soup as a sauce for the walnut crusted pork which was delicious.

Dinner...I'm grilling chicken thighs and zucchini and yellow squash, and "baking" (in the microwave) sweet potatoes.

Same problem here.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!  I run but I strap those things down with the highest supportive sports bra I can find. They dont move!

I'll raise you the highest supportive sports bra and raise you a double-up...I wear two when I run. Anything that I can compress, strap down, and keep them from moving.

Ugh.  Today was a rough one.  I went to my meeting and then they gave us lunch.  There was only one thing I could eat and I still had to pick stuff off it.  Then I decide to go downstairs and at least hit the salad bar.  The line was long at the checkout and by the time I got back up there they were waiting to start the meeting back up.  I barely ate any of it.  Then I find out I have to work tomorrow.

Needless to say that when I came home I was hangry.  My plate was template but it was a big plate!  Hamburger patties with fried onions, baby zucchini and snow peas.  I fried the onions with the burgers so I am pretty sure I got enough fat. 

I'm happy to see that everyone is doing well.  I made the sweet potato soup yesterday.  I liked the flavor but the texture was off for me.  I actually used the soup as a sauce for the walnut crusted pork which was delicious.

Sounds like it was a rough one for you! I hope tomorrow's a better day. :)

I made those type of burgers last night for dinner too. I think I might have to caramelize some onions tonight ;)

Dinner...I'm grilling chicken thighs and zucchini and yellow squash, and "baking" (in the microwave) sweet potatoes.

Same problem here.

I'll raise you the highest supportive sports bra and raise you a double-up...I wear two when I run. Anything that I can compress, strap down, and keep them from moving.

Me too. Hoping yoga will be less bouncy.

Archived