Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

JTCarlson- great job staying on track this weekend, I know how hard that can be when you have so many social events!

I succeeded as well this weekend! I had sugary temptations at every event, but made sure I ate big full meals before going and so I really wasn't hungry. I was definitely tempted and maybe a tag grumpy watching everyone eat and drink some delicious looking things, but I just keep trying to remind myself why I'm doing this! I packed a lot of sparkling water and sipped on that. One baby shower had raw veggies I was able to eat and the other baby shower had fruit. For the birthday party we went to claim jumper and I was able to get the rotisserie chicken (didn't eat the skim because I wasn't sure what the seasoning was), roasted veggies, baked sweet potatoe, and I got to make my own salad at the salad bar so I could make sure everything was good. It was a yummy full meal! I also ordered a nice sparkling water and they brought it in a wine glass with lime, so that was really nice.

I'm so glad this weekend is over though!the work week is just so much easier because I work alone and partly from home and I make my own schedule so it's easy to eat my planned meals when I need to.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so glad this weekend is over though!the work week is just so much easier because I work alone and partly from home and I make my own schedule so it's easy to eat my planned meals when I need to.

I can relate to this, not sure I could bring myself to go quite as far as saying that I'm glad the weekend is over...but I always feel like I do better on my schedule and with my packed meals.  It takes a lot of the options and temptations off the table!

For me this segment of a Whole30 is always the hardest not because I start craving or missing anything but because I start to lose a taste for food altogether.  I usually manage not to start skipping meals because I'm acutely aware of that danger for myself, but it's a lot harder to work up the enthusiasm for cooking or planning meals.

I have to avoid falling back on eating the same few things and getting totally burned out, but at the same time if I go too far out there on experimenting with new things I end up making things I don't like or won't eat and that leads to even more frustration.  @JTCarlson, thanks so much for posting that recipe!  It's just the kind of thing I need to spark some inspiration for something new to me right now.  I have used recipes off Juli's site before and get a real kick out of her sense of humor.  I may try that one soon!

Anything else you guys are excited about eating?! 

TMI question.  I'm eating way more veggies than I used to so I'm guessing this is my problem, but shouldn't it be improving by day 13?  My BMs are liquid.  They are not frequent or urgent just liquid.  Normal time, less amount than typical, I assume I'm using more of my food so less waste.  Should I be concerned?  I have have one child who is allergic to eggs and I'm eating eggs like no tomorrow, but I'd think if it was a sensitivity causing this, they would be frequent and urgent.  Baking off the veggies a bit this morning.  

Good question! And I can honestly say, that mine are not "normal" as I have use to them being. The process of out body "flushing out" the build up in our system is what I have read to the reason why this is happening...but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that when we change to a more of a "plant based diet" our BMs will change because of the fiber---that might be too obvious and gross, sorry! I'm not sure what eggs will do to someone with allergies to them, but if that's the case, perhaps a change of protein or lessen the amount of eggs? I don't have an exact answer...just a guess---or you could be sick (not to cause panic though!) I still eat a lot of vegetables to stay "regular". 

Day 13...

I'm starting my first day of master classes and I'm already behind. There are strange people in this world that like to get ahead and finish assignments before the first day of class, while the rest of us normal people like to take things slowly and carefully, processing through it all. 

The hardest part of my day will be sitting...for long periods of time...without snacking...wanting to throw something. It's a self-paced online class. I'm here. Reading posts. The books are dull, boring, and completely dry----there's no adventure, romance, or danger compared to the ones I've been enjoying for the past month. 

At least I got my 2 mile walk/run in this morning. :)

I hope every has a fantastic Monday!

Good question! And I can honestly say, that mine are not "normal" as I have use to them being. The process of out body "flushing out" the build up in our system is what I have read to the reason why this is happening...but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that when we change to a more of a "plant based diet" our BMs will change because of the fiber---that might be too obvious and gross, sorry! I'm not sure what eggs will do to someone with allergies to them, but if that's the case, perhaps a change of protein or lessen the amount of eggs? I don't have an exact answer...just a guess---or you could be sick (not to cause panic though!) I still eat a lot of vegetables to stay "regular". 

Just a tip, there are tons of questions/answers about poop under the "troubleshooting" forum on here, with lots of suggestions. This is a very common issue, apparently.

Not hungry this morning, not sure why. Like, not at all. So strange. 

Sounds like everyone had a successful weekend, so happy for that!!  

Just a tip, there are tons of questions/answers about poop under the "troubleshooting" forum on here, with lots of suggestions. This is a very common issue, apparently.

Thanks!  Looks like I need to get the kids to eat all those sweet potatoes I cooked last night, and maybe I shouldn't make cauliflower rice as planned.  I also have curry planned for this week, gonna do that anyway even with the coconut milk being a not so nice. And, my nuts need to go away.  I know I've been eating them at least every other day, which is too often.  

Hi folks!

Sooo....here I am. Our life has been in a crazy spiral over the last 4 days, family health emergencies....and I did not navigate things without slipping. I seriously thought about just continuing on this thread without reporting that I (once again) made it week 2 only to crash. BUT- then I thought about the whole 'cheating at solitaire' concept and it's true: there is no satisfaction, and who are you fooling? Only yourself.

Additionally it occurred to me that maybe there are others on this thread that have messed up or are struggling and maybe there is some value to realizing you're not alone in that either- we're not all rainbow pooping unicorns yet!

Regardless, I may not be talented, but I am persistent...so here we go again :) I re-started my emails, and June 13 is my new day 1. If you fine people don't mind I would love to continue on this thread till you reach 30 (and I reach 18) days...because y'all are a ton of fun and I have learned a lot from you.

So my goals today:

- Refocus on what I know works for me: No eating between meals. Exercise my #1 priority (anything counts! walking/biking/a little or a lot-there is always time for something) Get to bed on time so I can get up on time so I have some quiet in the morning to get my head in the game rather than living the whole day as a reaction to circumstances because I haven't had a chance to touch base with my priorities, goals, motivation, etc...

I'm going to accomplish this with a little "check in" sheet I can use each morning to remind me of the key habits I need to focus on that support the W30 (exercise, sleep, good stress coping strategies...). For some reason I love to check boxes :) and physically going through my list of key habits helps me make sure I am going to make them happen in the real world on any given day.

- Try the mushroom gravy listed somewhere above in this thread!

Happy Monday, and here's to keepin' on keepin' on, in the real world!

Hi everyone!  Great hearing about the successful weekends in spite of some challenging circumstances!  Wow, I was feeling like an oddball wanting to get to Monday morning and back to a solid routine, but I guess I wasn't the only one - funny!  Saturday was pretty busy, and I didn't eat meals when I should and just snacked on things without having the protein, veggies, and fats together.  I feel like I am learning a lot about myself, or maybe just recognizing unhealthy patterns and then correcting them.  

I'm starting to have a more overall sense of this kind of intangible feeling - maybe contentment?.. or feeling more peaceful because I know I'm treating my body well.  I definitely think it's the food, BigMomma and JTCarlson. No tiger blood yet here either.  

The mushroom recipe looks great... I love mushrooms but hadn't cooked much with them for a long time until I started dumping loads into the Thai curries.  

I've been planning some meals; here's what I have for this week:

1-Stuffed peppers (will modify this recipe a little and bake in oven 30 min):  http://followinginmyshoes.com/my-recipes/slow-cooker-paleo-italian-stuffed-peppers/  

2-Chicken sausage (precooked, I found a compliant package!) with pomodoro sauce on zucchini:  http://inspiralized.com/easy-weeknight-chicken-pomodoro-zucchini-pasta-coursehorse-giveaway/

3-Crockpot Hatch chile chicken on a bag of salad / avocado (tortillas for family):  http://whole30.com/2015/09/freezer-cooking-3/

4-Side salad to have on hand - easy and delicious:  shredded zucchini, cherry tomatoes, basil, and olives.  Dressing:  olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt.

Also, I picked up some coconut butter (first time I've tried it) on sale and now eat it by the spoonful if I ever need extra fat with my meal.  It could be a bit dangerous for me but I'm not too worried right now because it's so rich I can't really eat more than I should at once.  The brand I found was Artisan Organics. Yum!

Loved reading your post Stravajuki.. 

I wasn't going to post anything cause I'm still waiting for this big explosion of energy. i'm not eating as much as I can, and I would say, I'm non-compliant in that I can eat eat all the food.. !!!!!  

so, i don't know if you call me a cheater also, that's okay.. I'm eating the right food just not as much. 

I just ate, a throw together meal  of Grilled shrimp, I made my own Guac from the one avocado I had left and ½ sweet potato of course with Ghee. I love that stuff. I either better to learn to make or suck up the price of it.  

I have not been exercising. I haven't been motivated. Think it ABOUT  it like healthy people think about sex,  ( at least I think they do) 

any way, this up coming surgery is a bit worrisome, regardless of how they all say don't worry..  The shoe doesn't fit me. 

I'm also not a Rainbow pooping Unicorn that breaks glass.   

I thought today how I miss my Pepsi.  trying to fool myself into thinking Lacroix is the Shizz and I'm doing fine...  (just shaking my head)  

how do you se the email back to day one ,  I've just been saving mine because Honest Engine. its' not motivating me..   I have like 10 days saved because I don't want to read them.. they talk about food that is not on my plan.. the angry baby, didn't make me want to dig my heals in any sand and stand firm. 

I haven't broken, but the sun is not shining over here..  

Also, I picked up some coconut butter (first time I've tried it) on sale and now eat it by the spoonful if I ever need extra fat with my meal.  It could be a bit dangerous for me but I'm not too worried right now because it's so rich I can't really eat more than I should at once.  The brand I found was Artisan Organics. Yum!

hum . sounds good. I may have to look into that one..  is it cheaper then Ghee? at $8 a 7 ounce. not even a pound..  

If the Tiger Blood means you feel great. I think I'm still in the bone marrow.. 

I for some reason have yet to wake up hungry..  I'm still full from the night before, ending at 6 PM. 

Prepped ground beef, sweet potatoes, hard boiled eggs yesterday.  Having leftover eggs and italian sausage with spinach for breakfast.  Lunch will likely be a hamburger with a grilled bell pepper for a bun.  Dinner will either be salmon cakes or curry, we'll see what sounds good when the time comes.  I have everything to put either one together quickly.  

TMI question.  I'm eating way more veggies than I used to so I'm guessing this is my problem, but shouldn't it be improving by day 13?  My BMs are liquid.  They are not frequent or urgent just liquid.  Normal time, less amount than typical, I assume I'm using more of my food so less waste.  Should I be concerned?  I have have one child who is allergic to eggs and I'm eating eggs like no tomorrow, but I'd think if it was a sensitivity causing this, they would be frequent and urgent.  Baking off the veggies a bit this morning.  

Liquid does not sound good at all.  

to me something is not agreeing with your system..  

do you eat more then the allotted amount for veggies or do you go at it with the thought of these are on plan and I can eat as much as I like and they cause you Diarrhea. ? 

stravajunkie - didn't see your post before I posted... sorry to hear about your family emergencies and rough weekend.  Thanks for your honesty, and I definitely hope you continue with this thread.  Love your ideas to get back on/ stay on track, especially about having time in the morning to prepare for the day.  All too often I wake up on full speed trying to get everything done, and part of my learning has been that I need to evaluate and address my stress levels.  It sounds like most or all of us have such jam-packed lives just trying to fulfill responsibilities (and get the laundry done, too) and need to have a little time for ourselves, which to me seems always so elusive unless I decide it's a requirement.  We need to be easy on and good to ourselves, because we are all trying really hard here to make some changes and improve our health/lives.  

Thanks for all the support, everyone!        

Stravajunkie, 

YOU STAY PUT. Right here. this is the group and no matter how anyone feels we still see this through.. I'm staying, surgery and all so I can whoot for those that make it to the finish line with Tiger Blood and Rainbow pooping Unicorns;)  :D  :D  :D  :D

Also, I picked up some coconut butter (first time I've tried it) on sale and now eat it by the spoonful if I ever need extra fat with my meal.  It could be a bit dangerous for me but I'm not too worried right now because it's so rich I can't really eat more than I should at once.  The brand I found was Artisan Organics. Yum!

hum . sounds good. I may have to look into that one..  is it cheaper then Ghee? at $8 a 7 ounce. not even a pound..  

If the Tiger Blood means you feel great. I think I'm still in the bone marrow.. 

in the bone marrow, haha!!  We will get there.

The coconut butter was $6, but not on sale I think it's $10-12, yikes!  I went and bought another $6 jar to have as a backup because the exp date is Apr-17, and I know I will shovel all that in long before then.  Come to think of it, I should probably go get more.  And I do like my homemade ghee - it still smells divine, unlike the purchased one I just ran out of, which had no smell.

also, I went into the Kitchen to say , 'm making that Spinach, Avocado and mango smoothie.  I stopped and made food.  am I happy about it, no..shouldn't have been in my inbox from Paleo Leap. 

I think I need to unsubscribe from them cause their plan allows more fun and I can't have that now. 

in the bone marrow, haha!!  We will get there.

The coconut butter was $6, but not on sale I think it's $10-12, yikes!  I went and bought another $6 jar to have as a backup because the exp date is Apr-17, and I know I will shovel all that in long before then.  Come to think of it, I should probably go get more.  And I do like my homemade ghee - it still smells divine, unlike the purchased one I just ran out of, which had no smell.

owwww.. my Ghee smells just like butter.. 

are you sure that April 17 is not 2016?????     

How many ounces is the jar? 

What is this coconut butter you speak of and where can I find it?  

Ghee is easy to make but there are so many recipe variations!  I want the fast and easy way...anyone have a great method to share?

I start with Kerrygold butter (grass fed cows) and buy it in a big block from Costco. Ghee smells soooo good when cooking. And if you burn it a little so it gets that nutty flavor/smell, it is delicious over steamed veggies  My store bought Trader Joes ghee really doesnt have a smell.  

also, I went into the Kitchen to say , 'm making that Spinach, Avocado and mango smoothie.  I stopped and made food.  am I happy about it, no..shouldn't have been in my inbox from Paleo Leap. 

I think I need to unsubscribe from them cause their plan allows more fun and I can't have that now. 

You think you got problems....my email inbox just sent me "paleo" recipe entitled:  Paleo Samoa Donut Ice Cream Sandwiches

Whaaaaaaat?!?!?  I don't have enough fingers to count all the ways that isn't going to work out for me.

I think we need a W30 app that just intercepts all incoming email and filters for key words like "donut" and then deletes those emails for us.

Hi All,

Plugging along here without anything to report.  Also nothing to complain about so I guess in some ways that’s a win!!

JT – great job on the weekend win! Another victory! Thanks for the mushroom gravy recipe, looks great!

Suzibeck – maybe it’s not the veggies or the eggs. How much fat are you ingesting? I know before Whole 30 I didn’t eat a lot of fat (good or bad) – when I first started adding the good fats to my diet it had a similar effect on me. Not sure, but just a thought.

Crimsann – I totally agree with you this is the hard part for me too. The excitement and enthusiasm that comes when I first start is less. I’m not hungry or craving but I guess bored is a good way of putting it. I also mentally feel like I am ready to ride my own bike ….. but I know from experience getting thru the 30 days and beyond is important. My plan is to add gentle exercise and hit the recipe books!! I encourage everyone who finds a good recipe to please share.

Iteach – good luck with your master classes – and great job on the morning walk/run.

Kelli – I feel like that almost every morning and did all last summer when I was doing whole 30. I don’t believe it’s my hormones being out of balance because I was and am following plan to the letter, but I do make myself eat because I know it’s important. Just think that’s the way I’m wired I’ve never ever really woke up hungry.

Stravajunkie – I commend you for your honesty and am sorry to hear about your family emergencies. You must stay here and get to the end with us – just think what an expert you will already be. It’s not how many times we fall down that’s important it’s that we get back up and try again!! Great goals.

Christine – I think you are on your way to tiger blood. I think it’s amazing how calm I feel – kids and hubby love it too!!  It really is amazing to realize that the food we eat sort of controls everything else. I like to think of it as instead of food having a hold on me – I am starting to have a hold on food.

Tytbody – Not sure if it was a typo but you said you’re not eating as much as you can. You should be eating to template, so I’m not sure if that means you need to eat more or less. Good job on not drinking your food.

Happy Monday Everyone!

I can't even make sense of that myself. Lol. I know I'm eating and it's a lot.

This is what always stops me on eating plans. The amount of food they think everyone can get in.

I get full. On template.

I ate again today so got my 3 happy meals in today. V is for victory day for me.

Sorry for the type o. I got lots on my mind.

Wishing this would hurry up and make me feel better.

I think I said it before but I got none of the adverse reactions. And my stomach is certainly not shrinking

But I'm going to do as much as I can every day.

Told my girlfriend about it, same one I went out to dinner with

I felt like I was being a doctor. Instead of people listening and want to get on board. All they say is. Yup.... Yup. I know I don't eat right. As she had ordered a salad and ginger ale. I asked. Is that your meal. ? She said yes. Then I went into my sshhpeal. Can't sell her on it. I told her I'd be her buddy. But. We'll see.

Makes me feel like people want to see you do it then they might believe.

Hi all,

Glad most of you navigated the weekend well, and if not are still with us with new resolve to make it happen.  I know a lot of you have families and jobs to juggle, and right now I have neither (by choice)....so I'm very effected by the current news events and am in a funk.  I haven't strayed from the plan (even picked cheese off of a salad at lunch, despite having ordered with no cheese...guess I'm destined to have challenges getting what I order...), but I have a profound sadness.  I'm going to try my hand at planting flowers, and try a new recipe or two.  I need to stay away from the news channels and facebook.... :(

Oh, and Tytbody, we passed the 40% mark last night.

I for some reason have yet to wake up hungry..  I'm still full from the night before, ending at 6 PM. 

I totally have the same issue!  not hungry when I wake up for at least 2 hours!  And I notice that now I'm not as energetic as I was in the beginning.  so weird, cuz I thought it would get even better.  

Hi Everyone,

So many posts! I love this group!

Strava - stay with us! I admire your willingness to dive right back in! You are very inspiring.

Tytbody - hang in there. I hear you on not wanting to eat - It's. Just. So. Much. Work. And I'm already tired.

Earoti - We did it!!! Whoot! Whoot!

I love hearing how everyone is doing - we are each on our own journey, but it's nice to know you are alone. I was making dinner tonight: meatballs, spaghetti squash, garlic cabbage, and my husband came in and sweetly said "Are you rediscovering your love of cooking?". And I thought "No. I'm rediscovering why we thought pre-packaged food was such an AWESOME idea. So what if it has a ton of sugar, salt, and ingredients you can't pronounce? You can heat it in the microwave and eat it right out of the package!"

Nope, not over eating veggies, still trying to get enough of them.

I don't think I increased healthy fats much, I've been using coconut oil for years.

I suspect it is FODMOP foods, going to try to really limit those now.

Strata- yes, stay with us!

Archived