Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

I'm also implementing a curfew for myself to ensure that I'm getting more sleep and working on a more regular sleep cycle so that getting up in time to cook is somewhat more possible.  I'm also putting some focus on drinking more water by planning in some infusions as part of my overall meal plan. 

I'm such a night owl that the early bedtime is going to be both ridiculously easy...and really, really hard.    I have to keep telling myself that putting myself to bed has to be the easiest goal I've ever come up with, I could have worked on something like running 5-miles a day.

Well.  No.  I really couldn't have.  :P  

I'm with you on these!  My goals are going to include listening to and respecting my body's needs by reducing stress, getting enough sleep, drinking lots of water, exercising enough but not too much, and eating meals on a regular schedule (no skipping meals, snacking between, or eating dinner late in the evening!).  Oh, and to not confuse anybody, caffeinated coffee is allowed on W30, but I'm going to try to go without to calm me down more (I don't find much enjoyment in coffee that isn't a little sweetened anyway...but once the headache kicks in we'll see how good a black coffee sounds, haha)!    

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone (and Christine_!)

I am migrating from a previous thread, made it to day 15 then made the decision (since we do choose our actions-regardless of how strong the temptation is...) to munch junk food in response to acute stress...the good news is I did manage, for 15 days, to manage stress with much healthier strategies-and I am beginning to build a solid base of habits that help me deal with *real life* without resorting to food as an emotional crutch. SO with no further ado, I am joining you, and NOT taking a break from the W30, because I want to keep building, not tearing down, these habits.

This is my 2nd complete W30. Yes it is hard (deepest apologies to Melissa Hartwig, but drinking coffee black IS HARD) but it is absolutely worth it. And you can even get to the point where you LIKE black coffee...;)

Very greatest of luck to everyone starting tomorrow!!

Samnkelli I totally agree. I started drinking it with a tablespoon of coconut oil and whip it with an immersion blender, then I sprinkle with cinnamon. Now I don't really like it any other way and I know if I don't add a fat to breakfast I'm getting it in my coffee!! 

Stocked up over here and ready start tomorrow. Welcome to everyone who has joined this thread!!! We got this!!!

Hello - I'm starting tomorrow June 1st (again). This was recommended by my doctor.

I've read both books.

I made it 18 days back around in March. I hurt my back and/or had a kidney infection. Between not being able to cook, and taking pain meds, and feeling sorry for myself I started eating crap food. 

Some of these things I've been doing for a long time (sort of). I have chronic daily migraines, so I generally have to be careful about my eating (until I just give up and figure my head is going to hurt anyway). I've looked at/tried Paleo, Paleo Auto Immune Protocol, and GAPS. Oh, and Keto, as that is reported to help with migraines. 

I have found starting is okay, but sticking to these plans is difficult. So, I'm trying to find help is staying motivated. 

Last time I kept meaning to join the forums, but I never did, so this time I am. I don't really have a support network, so I thought that might help - particularly if I hit a rough patch. (I signed up for the newsletter as well.) 

I see there are a few large June 1st starter groups. So I hope we can all make it. 

I am starting tomorrow too! Cleaned out fridge and pantry and I am ready to go. I signed up for the online 30 support but never heard anything. Wonder what I did wrong?

I am so looking forward to feeing better. Been through a rough patch. Lost my husband, was diagnosed with Cancer, had surgery and got a clean bill of health. Then I gained back all the weight I lost and generally feel lousy. Time to turn the page.

Hi all!

Starting my second attempt at whole30 on June 1st! I tried it a year ago and made it about 15 days before breaking it on an anniversary dinner which turned into a year long binge. This time my month is clear with no foreseeable interruptions till July! I have no chronic health issues so this will really be for the point of loosing a few lbs!

Look forward to going on this journey with you. I too have chronic health issues. looking forward to positive changes.

I am starting tomorrow as well.  I am excited and nervous at the same time.  I have not done much prepping as I just decided today to start tomorrow but I work at a fabulous grocery store and my boss is an amazing chef so I am confident that I will be able to do this and remain compliant and maybe get some great advice and help with some recipes!  Good luck all.

Mkdarin – sorry to hear about your recent losses and sickness; glad you are here.  The daily email sign-up doesn’t send confirmations; it just shows up on Day 1, so you should have it by now (check different folders if it’s not in the primary).  AprAnne – cute dog!  Sticking with it will be an effort; I’m here because it seems I really need help getting through days 10-15.  Glad you joined the forum this time to get support.  Welcome to everyone else, too!  Samnkelli and Susabella627… thanks for the frothy black coffee tips!  (But for now I’m still in the drinking-black-coffee-is-hard-no-disrespect-to-Melissa camp, haha!)            

Well today is tomorrow. 

How is everyone doing? 

I did well with my homemade sausage and 1 egg and LaCroix..  that's it. Next meal will be later I plan on that being the salmon cakes. 

What's your next meal going to be? 

I started today as well! There are so many June 1st starters, I think we need an "official" board or only one place where we discuss and share!

Today has been going well.

Breakfast- Chili lime chicken from Trader Joes with avocado, bell peppers, and salsa

Lunch- Steamed herb salmon with steamed broccoli

Dinner- Turkey breast "sandwich" with shredded carrots and avocado, side salad

I started today as well! There are so many June 1st starters, I think we need an "official" board or only one place where we discuss and share!

Do we want to start a facebook group?  Then we can all post and share and chat at will.  Just an idea.

This thread is for sharing and posting and chatting. In my humble opinion what works best since there are so many June 1st threads out there is that you just commit to one thread and stick with it. Much easier then trying to keep up with multiple threads. 

So how did everyone do today? As luck would have it I woke with a nasty head cold which is not the way I wanted to start my Whole 30, but I am getting thru it cuz I do not want to postpone starting. 

M1: Spinach omelet (2 eggs), with an orange

M2: grilled chicken salad with avocado 

snack (In a few days I won't need one, but I was hungry) cucumber with guacamole dip

M3 will have an eyeround steak with steamed asparagus, large salad and a peach. 

We got this!!!

Wellll...since I was half way through one round and got drailed and joined the June 1 group, I have some progress I'm trying to maintain. A big part of my focus is building habits that support this "style" of eating (which in my mind I label "NORMAL" eating: i.e. you eat real food till you're full, don't snack much, and don't make food a primary source of entertainment, and sooth emotions and stress in healthy non-food ways). Post W30 I absolutely plan on wine, and bit of flexibility with riding food (cliff bars here I come!!) but I know that I feel a million times better when I stick fairly close to this template. The really intriguing thing to me is how much the W30 has impacted habits I've been working on for YEARS-partly the parameters of the program itself (breaking lots of bad habits and building good habits like cooking, eating real food, not snacking and skipping meals etc) but the support resources have been really life changing. Firstly the Hartwig's book, then other recommendations like Better Than Before, The Charisma Myth, The Power of Habit...have really opened my mind to the reality that change IS ACTUALLY POSSIBLE. Sometimes when you've failed multiple times it's to genuinely believe you can actually become different then you've always been, but I am seeing it happen slowly. I should specify that I did my first complete W30 over a year ago, and I have been plinking away at integrating these resources/suggestions into my life since then-so not an overnight improvement but a real improvement none the less.

That being said, my big habit push right now (outside of the specifics of the program) is to learn to CRAVE tea-without the dairy hit that I know and love-and to integrate "bursts" of movement into my day (rather than long rides (I'm a cyclist) here and there, with lots of sedentary in between). My strategy is to work on doing both these things when it's not hard (i.e. drink tea when I'm not desperately craving JUNK. FOOD. NOW. and going outside for a quick stroll when I'm not already exhausted....) and then hoping they will be easier to turn to when it IS hard.

Great luck to everybody-don't ask if you CAN do this, of course you can. You might have to restart a couple of times, but you will lose none of the skills you gained with however long you stick it out, if you just keep coming back to your goals...

This thread is for sharing and posting and chatting. In my humble opinion what works best since there are so many June 1st threads out there is that you just commit to one thread and stick with it. Much easier then trying to keep up with multiple threads. 

I kind of tend to agree with this, for myself if the group gets too large it's harder to really connect with each other and offer meaningful support.  The larger groups are a lot of fun to peek in on and get ideas, but I sort of like a smaller group where you start to recognize each other's names. 

Running later tonight, so my "curfew" is just minutes away, but I've been reading along all day and I've noticed quite a few of us seem to just be on the same wavelength.  I've got good vibes about this group. 

Things start to get a bit tougher tomorrow so bask in the good feelings tonight and keep up the momentum!  I usually use Thursday/Friday as my planning days for the next week so I have my grocery list ready to rock on the weekend but in what I called one of my most huge NSV's ever...I was able to sit down a few weeks ago and write out basic meal plans for the entire month and half of July.  So I'm just refining now.  Of course for me, it really amounts to two meals I make up on Sunday with enough portions to cover lunch and dinners all week as I have no time for anything involved during the week.  Which means it isn't as many meals as it might sound like to have a whole month lined up, but it's significant for me that I now have that many recipes or meal ideas that pop to mind and all sound perfectly normal...(loved the post about normal eating!)  It's one of the things I'm so thrilled with taking away after a year of having this as part of my life, I think I knew from the beginning that for me...real change was going to start when it took more time to think what not to eat than it took to think what to eat.  At the point a Whole30 meal was the first thing that came to mind, rather than something I had to dig for... 

Well one thing this curfew will do is keep my posts shorter than my usual novel length ones, you can all be grateful for that side effect.  

To Be Continued.....LOL!  But we should all be ending that way today, see you on the flip side!

Good Morning All, 

Crimsann, I agree that the smaller groups end up being much more intimate. Also, all seem to start off big, but end up fairly small - just so you know I'm committed to being here thru the 30 days!! Love your NSV's and you've inspired me to try and be more of a planner. I tend to make sure I have lots of healthy options in the house and then wing it from there. Will try more specific meal planning. 

Welcome Stravajunkie glad you've joined us your words are very inspirational and I too am trying to add "bursts" of movement into my day. As for tea without dairy I really enjoy chai tea - twinnings makes a good one available in the grocery store, and you won't even think of adding dairy to it, it is just the right blend of spice - yummy I also enjoy peach green tea (again, not one you would think to add dairy too)

Samnkelli, how did your first day go?

Day 2 is off to a good start woke up feeling rested and full of energy despite the cold and stuffy head.  I have an appointment with my oncologist today - fingers crossed that all goes well.  :)

Happy Thursday everyone!!!

Just so everyone knows, I'm here and listening(reading) as much as I can.  My ADD makes it hard to remember who is who AND reading large posts takes a few tries...but I'm here.

I'm on day 3 and I'm a bit hungry.  I brought almonds, but I hate that I'm snacking.

I did figure out, though, that if you boil a dozen eggs and leave them in the fridge, they make a great snack for a grumbling tummy! (and good for when you're running late in the morning)

Snacking. Don't feel guilty.  It Starts With Food has a blurb that says something like: "The key to snacking is to only do so if you’re ACTUALLY hungry. When a craving for a snack hits – think: Would I eat some REAL food right now? Like fish and broccoli." If the answer is YES, you’re definitely hungry. Go and eat something, friend. If not, it’s probably just a craving. Drink some water, take a walk to get your mind right. Then carry on. 

I have a mid morning and afternoon snack most days. I listen to my body, and if Im hungry (and use the thought process above), I EAT. My snack is usually a hard boiled egg with some veggies, Jicama with guacamole, an apple with nut butter, a few almonds. Be careful with the nuts and fruit, limit yourself to a certain amount, not endless handfuls. I eat alot on W30... :) 

FACEBOOK GROUP.

If you are interesting in joining a Facebook Group for the June 1st starters, raise your hand (or send me a message)!!  I will figure out how to start a private/secret group on FB for those that are interested....but Im pretty sure I have to send a friend request to everyone that wants to join and then we become friends. So I will need names so I can send you a friend request.  Are you ok with your personal FB page being seen by me/others?

If you arent interested, that is fine. During my first round of W30, many people stayed here and many people did both the FB page and here. 

Happy Day 2!!

Hi All! I started my first Whole30 yesterday! I meant to join up in the forums, but didn't get to it, so here I am now. Better late than never, right? I have really enjoyed reading your stories and am excited to be on this journey with all of you. I like that there is a mix of first-timers like me, as well as seasoned pros!

My motivation for doing this is similar to tytbody's - as I get older (I'm 47) I'm feeling the aches/pains/stiffness more and more. Just generally feeling run-down and tired all the time. I want to see if I can change this with diet. I am a professor and I recently taught a graduate class on Nutritional Psychology and I was impressed with all the research I read about the power of food to alter mood, cognition, etc, in addition to physical health. So like any good scientist I figured I would start experimenting on myself. I'm excited to see what will change in 30 days!

Glad to be on this team!

Jenn

I'm such a night owl that the early bedtime is going to be both ridiculously easy...and really, really hard.    I have to keep telling myself that putting myself to bed has to be the easiest goal I've ever come up with, I could have worked on something like running 5-miles a day.

Oh Crimsann I hear you on that one!! It is so hard for me to go to sleep before 11pm, but as I try to be up before the rest of my household (a little "me" time!) going to bed closer to 9pm is really ideal. But....agghhh......the struggle is REAL!!!

Hey all, happy day 2. Feeling good today; made a batch of beef burgers last night that I serve with tomato, avocado and raw veggies. Delicious and filling. I'm doing what I did last time and relying a little too heavily on fruit for snacking, but I know that once I have a full weekend to prep I should be able to pull back on that a little. I'm going to be VERY cautious about nuts this time around, having eaten a lot of them during the W30 I did during October and ultimately feeling like they were a FWB for me.

MumDee - don't be too hard on yourself for the nut thing just now. It takes a week for your body to get the hang of it. You're totally right about the egg thing though, and they're even better with homemade mayo / compliant Dijon mustard / combinations thereof!

Archived