Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Hi all... I was going along good, probably staying up too late with some extra energy the last couple of nights, and yesterday I crashed... mentally and physically exhausted all day... I took a nap and then felt all groggy and out of it. Everything is so crazy this time of year with the kids' school getting out. I was too tired to post but managed to make some cashew milk because I need a coffee today. I haven't really been craving sugar, but I'm trying to distract myself from thinking about diet Coke. So after work I picked up a big bottle of sparkling mineral water and was so thirsty I opened it in the car as I was on my way to another errand. Well, it EXPLODED all over and got my clothes and car soaking wet so I had to go home instead of do my errand. THAT's when I felt sorry for myself - about being soaked with mineral water instead of sipping a diet Coke, about being sad like you last time Kelli that I'm not having joy about meals... and sorry for myself about having to cook separate meals and cook everything all the time, about having no time to myself and all these demands on me. It was meltdown. Later, an extra demand for today was cancelled, and I realized I need to eat to template and also that my life is good.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halfway there!!! I feel really excited this morning! I've been waking up without an alarm at 6:30 every morning and I've been wide awake ready to start my day. I also had energy to cook and clean until I went to bed at 9 last night. Usually I'll put off cleaning because I'm so exhausted. Definitely feeling the increased energy. Made sure to eat template this morning- 3 eggs fried on top of sweet potatoe hash, 1/4 huge avocado, and almost 2 cups of frozen organic veggies. I also prepped some strawberries and grapes, but I was too full to eat them! I guess that's good. I put them in a baggie for lunch instead. Found a dinner I was excited about last night - made my own taco seasoning and fresh Pico de gallo and made lettuce boat tacos topped with avocado and scallions. They were really good! My husband even ate them and loved them!I'm treating myself to a pani/pedi today for getting halfway! Keep it up everyone!

For those losing motivation, I would say write something and put it on your fridge saying why you're doing this and try to think about that every time you're tempted or frustrated. It's a good reminder of the big picture in hard times.

As I was getting ready to leave work at 12:15, I was so hungry! This has not been a problem for me. I realized I totally forgot to add fat to my breskfast. Don't shy away from healthy fats, they really do help!

Another way I keep motivated is to read success stories every day.

Susabella - thank you. When I look back on my "bad" day it's a little bit funny envisioning mineral water spraying everywhere. Do not text or open mineral waters while driving.

Suzibeck - one day at a time is how I have to take it, too. I also am motivated by all of you and our maybe-not-as-huge successes (compared to those huge-success stories) -- as well as how we recover from feeling not as successful as we had hoped.

samnkelli -- the coconut butter I got was Artisana Organic Raw Coconut Butter, and I picked it up at a local discount store that will get different items and then sell out the lot, so I can't rely on getting anything there twice, but I CAN rely on getting hooked on something for 1/2 price and then liking it so much I will pay some ridiculous amount somewhere else. That's better than paying full price and hating it though. There's probably something similar (or the same item) at Whole Foods - I haven't checked lately. Thrive Market has it if you are a member. I'm not, but I see Barefoot Provisions does not require a membership, and I am really tempted to order this some day (sorry, link option is off for some reason)

http://barefootprovisions.com/collections/whole30/products/cashew-cookie-coconut-butter-by-nikkis#.V2GM1U10zs0

Earoti - good for you, your energy, your motivation, and your delicious meal! See, you are inspiring us right here.

Tytbody - when is your surgery? We hope all goes really well and that you can report back soon!

Bigmomma - thanks for the wisdom about finding our sweet spots even if not 100% perfect.

Crimsann - that chicken sounds SO good along with the light salad. Too bad we can't all meet for dinner one night; I would vote that you pick the recipe.

Jamidub - the Space Needle threw me off for a minute, thought you were new. Thank goodness we've reached over 50%, keep us updated.

JTCarlson - hahaha on the awesome processed packaged foods idea! I found a local meal service that delivers Whole30 foods but haven't tried it yet. Instead I'm sinking my $$ into super high-end meats for the whole family instead of one lunch for me. Back to the kitchen. Embrace the joy of cooking, I say, with no (just a little?) sarcasm!

gonegirl - how is your job going after over a week? If anyone needs the energy it sounds like you do... don't know how you do it all.

iteach - great place to be, not wanting to take the exit ramp for sweets / dairy / etc... I think I'm getting on board with you; it's just that nagging diet Coke problem. Two more weeks will be good for me to get away from that habit.

stravajunkie -- any advice on the late night eating thing - is tea working? I realized I used to start eating around 6:30 and would graze until I went to bed. I've struggled with that in the last few days because I've been eating dinner too late.

katrine -- you rock too.

Someone mentioned getting a nonfood treat (pedi/mani). I bought a container of EveryBody soap/shampoo combo in Lemon Coconut scent, and it's such a nice morning treat for myself. Also I found an inexpensive veggie spiralizer and have been making fun zucchini noodles.

Great job everyone, keep going!

This is going to be a long one.  Will apologize in advance!  I have been soooo busy the last couple of days I haven't had time to check in like I need and want to.  My husband came home after being gone three weeks.  I always like to have a really really clean house and something yummy cooking so he enjoys walking in the door.  Sounds corny, but I know I'd appreciate it if the situation were reversed.  So, I got up and started cleaning and cleaning.  Had my boys helping me.  About halfway through the day, my 14 year old brought me some food and said, "Ma, you haven't eaten yet today.  Aren't you supposed to eat more?"  And God love him, he had leftovers from my evening meal the night before heated up and made sure it was template.  What a love.  But here's the thing:  I need to eat more.  I get so busy when I'm at home, I don't eat like I should!  And I was ravenous.  My takeaway from this is I usually don't eat enough.  And often when I do, it's poor choices.  This was a big wakeup call.  Working, I eat right.  Home, there's always so much to do.  

Yesterday, in addition to the cooking and cleaning, we had our last two beehives delivered.  And our mentor went through one of my existing hives with me as I have a problem in it and we were trying to decide if I need to re-queen it.  Anyway, a big lesson learned.  

Another lesson learned, ask for/demand help from my family.  Instead of trying to do it all.  I am making my boys expand their chores to include clothes and help with floors.  They are 14 and 17 with birthdays in a couple months.  It's for their benefit to know how and when to do all this stuff as well.

My younger son is quite the wannabe chef.  He makes ice cream from scratch.  Traditional custard based.  And when I tell you it's awesome, it really is.  Like people buy it from him.  He cooked a red velvet cake and icing and homemade ice cream for his daddy.  When I tell you this was tough, take it to the bank!  I stayed strong.  He was sort of apologetic about it.  But I have to be able to have willpower.  Cravings have been pretty fierce for me too right now.

Cravings...it's funny that everyone started talking about them.  I tend to notice I want somethng at night, after dinner.  However there really is nothing in the house I want, it's for something that I have to get in a car to get.  It happens during the little bit of down time that I do get at home.  I am having cravings for things I didn't have cravings for before and not healthy ones, creamy cravings if you know what I mean.  I have been trying to keep busy at home after work and dinner but when I sit down, bam, it will hit me.  The good thing is it is usually after 9 and there is no way in heck I am leaving the house to safisfy that craving, especially because I am usally in my jammies.

I can be at work all day surrounded by food and I don't get a craving but at 9:30 at night I will, crazy.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Thought of last night when I read this - the ice cream!  OMG, it was a tough one. Night time has always been a dangerous time for me.

So yesterday I started having horrible cravings for sugar. Yesterday was the hardest day I've had so far. I started feeling almost sorry for myself that I couldn't have the sweets I wanted. I bought a fun gift to send my sister for her bday and I bought candy to go in it, and I so badly wanted to tear open the bags and dig in! But I'm so glad I didn't. I know that's why I'm doing this to have control over food and kill my stupid sugar dragon.

I find I'm getting bored with food too. Tried a few recipes that's ended up not being very good, I'm not the best cook! Anyone have simple recipes that they love and actually get excited about???

I haven't tamed my dragon.  But I'm holding a whip in one hand and a chair in the other!  I refuse to be defeated!  I hope.  LOL  I've had some boredom issues as well.  Am really eating what speaks to me in terms of breakfast vs dinner foods.  It's helping.  And sometimes it doesn't go together.  Lol  I had a garden fresh cucumber as part of my breakfast this morning.  And left over pork roast.  Sounds gross.  But it's what I wanted!  LOL  

Bigmomma, I'm with you on those evening cravings. MAN, the post-dinner time frame is hard for me. It really makes me face how far down the road of "end the meal/day with sweet munchies" I've gone.

I wish I could have all tempting food out of the house, but with a family, it's not happening. I am trying to limit the obvious stuff (boxes of cookies) and especially not get involved in BAKING treats with my kids. They love to cook, so it's a fun activity, but not good for me. So we are looking for other, non food related activities to fall back on.

One thing I'm noticing with the waking up hungry thing (I am a die hard non-breakfast eater for about the last 17 years, so yeah it's an issue): It helps me to wake up hungry AND wake up feeling energy if I go to sleep slightly "empty". NOT hungry, but not with a full tummy. I don't know if it's the digesting all night or what, but it makes me wake up groggy. This theory, which sounds great, is hard for me to put into practice because I dearly love my large dinner. I just need to cut it back a little, but it's a hard discipline for me. Back to the whole "drink tea instead of having 2nds/3rds and you will be happier in the long run..."

Killer for me too after dinner.  We usually would have an evening dessert.  Haven't been doing that lately but since hubby came home last night, my young one did a full dessert.  I didn't help with the cooking of that. And stayed away for the dessert portion.  Actually, we left the dining room for dessert and they were in den watching something, so I kept myself busy till it was over. LOL 

But the meal was perfect template.

Great suggestions for quick easy meals, Stravajunkie (and thanks for hanging around!!)..I love to cook and try new recipes but there are times when throwing something together is the best.  Nothing worse than being overwhelmed (or underwhelmed) by a great recipe or spending a ton of time on a meal that tastes terrible!

Gonegirl, sorry about the migraine!! Hope you are feeling better! I've had a few in my life and they start with the aura and zig zagging lines in vision too. Not fun.

Well, I may as well join the sugar craving party we are all at. My husband is still eating the meals I prepare but has ice cream for dessert often. And he LOoooves to show me the huge chunks of toffee in his Ben and Jerry's Vanilla Toffee. I told him last night to cut it out. Seriously. Not funny and not helping. 

I try to avoid the "cant have" mentality and think about all the good healthy things I can have...summer fruits are my favorite so I try to shift my thinking and enjoy those things. 

I am feeling much better thank you.  Was lucky it was a one day one.  Sometimes they are days long.  And will switch sides.  I guess, technically, it's more than one!  I don't get them often.  But they can do a number on you for sure.  I get almost disoriented from them.  I don't know if that's because of the visual disturbance or the migraine itself or both.  I know a few triggers, but obviously not all.  This was out of the blue.  I had a really great day at work, stopped to pick up sandwich stuff for the kids and found the sandwich meat I can have (I snack on it by itself for my protein with veggies or in a salad).  Then BAM!  No reasoning I could ascertain.  But I've learned to always keep the migraine meds with me.  If I can pop one before the pain starts it greatly diminishes it.  Sometimes the pain never comes!

My husband is the type to do exactly that!  But he knows how important this is to me and hopefully won't.  He didn't last night but it was his first night home.  And he really didn't wanna tick me off! LOL

I also feel no *high*   I'm finishing also because I said I would. And If I genuinely don't feel or see much difference, i guess it would all be a test to myself that I can do something for a given amount of time.  Thank you Lord it's not 60 days..  I know I would not have joined that club. 

and food, It was fun trying to make the plates fit the template, but i got it now and it has no zest or zing.. Just food.. I used to love eating.. now, it's a job.  

I have no exciting recipes because I've been eating the same thing.  always left overs..  and, really, .. I don't know..  .. 

I know people think this is funny to wave the carrot in front of someone's face. I have learned not to do that because it hurts. I don't want to hurt anyone.  Sorry to hear your husband did that.  but now,you won't do it to other people either..         Take that carrot and hit him with it..   

lol 

What it has been doing for me is letting me know, I do have time for meditation. I said, 'm doing this so I should put the same effort into meditation..  They claim it does a lot just like this eating plan, but I believe in Meditation... I think maybe i'm losing my believe in this program..  

I have been dying to say, where is the moderator. ??? I think she has been absent for like 3 days.     

Maybe that means we are doing okay?   

I LOLed at the whack him with the carrot.  I can just see doing that and the expression on his face!

I know what you mean.  I love food.  I love cooking.  Usually.  I was born in Louisiana and have lived in many places (including up North). But most of my life has been Louisiana/Mississippi.  And it's SOUTH Louisiana/Mississippi.  30 to 60 miles north or northeast of New Orleans.  When I tell you food is a huge part of our lives, it is almost fanatical.  

I find I'm enjoying roasts a lot.  Pork, beef - whatever.  I have a cookbook that we recently tracked down - Love Amazon Prime! It's Chef John Folse Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cuisine.  LOVE it.  So, we did a Soul roast yesterday from a Boston Butt.  It was really good.  But the kicker, I took the juices and veggies it was cooked with, stuck my hand immersion blender in and blended it all up to make a "gravy".  Oh my.  I cannot even tell you how good this was and is.  It's part of what I had for breakfast.  

My son is, as I type, scouring the book to look for a compliant meal for us to cook Friday.  The pork roast will last us today and for my lunch tomorrow for sure.  I'm off Friday and work the weekend and will be on call.  So we plan to cook a big something Friday to get me through the weekend.

So, we are trying to have fun cooking still but it does take a bit more "research" for the whole family to enjoy. But I think if I'll allow it, it's broadening my range because we are getting creative as evidenced by my "gravy" idea. Which I put over potatoes mashed with ghee.

Good morning!

My thyroid is not longer inflamed..I don't look like Frankenstein's Bride---that's what I perceived of myself any ways.  So, I'm also not looking for any "exit" sign to change lanes into adding the gluten, sugar, or dairy back in at the end of this round of 30 days.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

How awesome for you!  Definite victory!  

I recall feeling sad during my first Whole 30 because I didn't get any emotional joy out of eating anymore. I remembered when I ate bad things, they relieved stress, made me feel better, all that sugar made me happy!  For me, eating clean healthy foods had no emotional pay off! So, why did I keep going? Because those unhealthy foods are full of empty rewards and I needed to find something else to fill that void. Food is so deeply rooted to our emotions! I knew I would be back in the same craving-guilt-shame-remorse cycle that made me so unhappy!! I ate things that were good for me but also brought me joy because they tasted delicious and were compliant (Butternut Squash Soup!! Ghee on EVERYTHING). Tytbody, you are doing a wonderful thing for yourself, dont get discouraged!! Find a way to put some fun back into the program rather than going through the motions!! 

From Melissa:

If you’re one of those folks who has hit the halfway mark and isn’t seeing or feeling the dramatic changes others have reported*, know this: You’re not doing it wrong. If you began the Whole30 with a medical condition, a long and rooted history of unhealthy food habits, or a chronically stressful lifestyle, your “magic” may take longer to appear, and probably won’t be a “light switch” moment. Don’t stress about whether you’re feeling honest-to-goodness “Tiger Blood”—be patient, and be on the lookout for small, gradual improvements to keep you motivated. Slow and steady still wins this race.

Exactly how I feel some days.  I'm not getting that emotional payoff.  I've known for a long time food is too emotionally charged for me.  I think it's part of being human, but also a big cultural thing too.  I'm trying not to focus on what I can't have but what I can.  Got a big sack of crawfish last week and felt great about getting my protein in in such a yummy wonderful way!  LOL And at the other times, I really am taking comfort in the fact that I am doing good for myself and ultimately my family as they are eating less of the bad stuff.

And I do feel better.  Not tiger blood yet, but I think if I ate better (more in the past couple days), I'd possibly be there.  

This is a serious process.  Yes, physical.  But the mental and emotional.  That's the real work!  

My "quick" recipe for this week was chicken breasts tossed in the crockpot and then liberally sprinkled with sea salt, fresh lime juice (used two smaller limes), some of the lime zest, and chili powder...cooked on low for the better part of the day.  It's similar to a taco chicken but with this zippy lighter taste that is perfect for summer.  I shred it before I drain any of the "broth" off and let that soak back in so it keeps the lime flavor and any fat that cooked down, then warm it up for lunches and pile it on salad.  For this, I like a mix of romaine with just a bit of red cabbage and shredded carrots (I just use a bagged mix) and I add some chopped baby bell peppers and cilantro.  The cilantro really boosts the flavor of the basic salad if you like cilantro.  I also add a generous scoop of guacamole and Whole Foods house made fresh pineapple salsa (pineapple, lime, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, red onion...I think that's about it, easy enough to make your own if you need to and that teensy bit of fresh sweetness and spicy pepper rounds this salad out just right.) 

Tons of color, tons of flavor, light enough to eat even on those really hot days but still has some good fat in there. 

I did 4 pounds of chicken quarters in the crockpot and I sprinkled salt, pepper and herbs and did some in the oven.  Totally yummy and lots of leftovers to grab.  Used some for chicken salad.

Good Morning All!  Thanks for the info Sugercube, I will try to eat a template breakfast.  It's just a lot of food and 2 puppies first thing in the morning.  I will say that unless I work late, I don't eat a thing after 7.  I used to be so tired in the early evening and I would scavenge around the house looking for something.  Now I am not so tired and I am doing more.  The cravings that I have are much later in the evening and they are different.  They are for a specific thing, not just anything.  It's like I'm pregnant (not possible). 

I hope everyone has a great day!  Halfway there!

I feel you so much on this.  Exactly where you are.  But we are getting there and doing the darn thing!

Suddenly having cravings and having dips in energy at this stage of the game is usually easily solved by going back to the template... often by this point, we think we have the template down and we stop referring to it... things start to slip and some meals have a woeful amount of veggies, some meals are lacking fat and overall, because this is a relatively new way of eating, meals can get smaller.

I would strongly suggest to all who are feeling this way that you, starting tomorrow, make your meals match the template... really look through the template again (linked in my sig below) and then match 'er up. 1-2 palms of protein. (if you're eating eggs for your sole source of protein, it's as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand without dropping... 3-4 is a good start for most people).

1-3 CUPS of veggies... if you're having starchy veggies, that's a fist sized serving and then 1-3 cups of non starchy. If you're eating salad greens, you need a veritable wheelbarrow full so salad isn't your best bet unless you cram it full of other heartier veggies and then eat it out of a bucket ( ;)). FAT! 1-2 thumbs of fat if it's a liquid or mayo... 1/2 to a whole avocado... heaping open handfuls of olives, closed fist of nuts (not your best choice). Don't count your cooking fat, it mostly stays in the pan and gets divided by the portions so it's negligible usually.

This is going to be the key to keeping your energy up and reducing cravings...

As far as fruit goes, since its summer, feel free to add fruit into your meals (with a meal, not as a snack/dessert), however don't let fruit push veggies off your plate... and if you're leaning on fruit because you can't have a snickers bar, ditch the fruit for now... don't let it prop up your sugar cravings.

This should help... if you're still having cravings/low energy and you're matching your meals to the template, feel free to post a few days here of what you've been eating and we can see where we can tweak things...

Keep going guys!!!

Is the cup full of veggies before cooking or after or is it weighed out to 8 ounces?  

If I had asparagus how do I count that as a cup. I was eating it by the handful, If I could close my hand around it, that was enough..   Beside, ( i can't stand the smell, you know where) 

so my Avocado mayo , when I have that have 1 thumb worth or 1 tablespoon of it.. I put it on my tomato instead of a dressing. 

i've counted a whole cucumber with ACV on it a veggies. is that enough? 

The hardest meal for me is breakfast, I know that I can't eat all of that first thing in the morning, I tried.  So for lunch I have more of what I was missing from breakfast.  If that is wrong, than so be it.  I am making this work for me, not for anyone else.  I guess you could say I found my sweet spot.  You will find yours.

Hang in there!  I would give you a hug if I could.

Hey BM

i think they did say if you can't finish it you are to eat it when you can ... I think I saw this someplace.  

and much thanks for being part of my W30 family.. ;)  

a headache but I have since realized that with my energy level up I didn't have my coffee like I normally do, not to mention I am not drinking Diet Coke.

Success!!!  I made the mayo and this time it came out.  I should have read the instructions for mayo in the Vita Mix book.  Now I know not to use such a high speed!  So for lunch I had tuna with a big salad!  Ranch Dressing is next.

yea on not drinking diet coke. 

Walking through the supermarket, again.. today, I swear lots of aisles are covered with sugar. Little hidden sugar cubes all around the place.. 

I was able to score a bottle of some Japanese Tea with no sugar..   agggg. oh my my my... it had a taste of coffee.. but I put a slice of Lemon in it and down it went..  I just need more flavor in my liquids... Even when I add in raspberries, its so mild, like the Lacroix . 

I bought 7 ounces of Butter to play with....  gotta try making my Ghee..   

oh..  So you can't make their Mayonnaise  in the Vitamix ?    I have the book and did't even check there for a recipe..  probably has sugar in it any way. 

So many to respond to!  Sorry for a second post after my "book" - but here goes:

Hi all... I was going along good, probably staying up too late with some extra energy the last couple of nights, and yesterday I crashed... mentally and physically exhausted all day... I took a nap and then felt all groggy and out of it. Everything is so crazy this time of year with the kids' school getting out. I was too tired to post but managed to make some cashew milk because I need a coffee today. I haven't really been craving sugar, but I'm trying to distract myself from thinking about diet Coke. So after work I picked up a big bottle of sparkling mineral water and was so thirsty I opened it in the car as I was on my way to another errand. Well, it EXPLODED all over and got my clothes and car soaking wet so I had to go home instead of do my errand. THAT's when I felt sorry for myself - about being soaked with mineral water instead of sipping a diet Coke, about being sad like you last time Kelli that I'm not having joy about meals... and sorry for myself about having to cook separate meals and cook everything all the time, about having no time to myself and all these demands on me. It was meltdown. Later, an extra demand for today was cancelled, and I realized I need to eat to template and also that my life is good.

I love Diet Coke.  Like too much.  That's been a hard one for me.  It is an addiction.  I know this.  With husband gone it was bearable.  But when he's home, it's really hard.  There's always a couple 2 liters in the fridge.  Always.  Kills me.  So sorry about the mineral water!  I have found and tried the Lacroix Waters.  Not Diet Coke, but it's something!  Good thing I love water anyway!  I have felt a bit sorry for myself with this one.  So glad your day got better and you were able to have a good template meal!

Suzibeck - one day at a time is how I have to take it, too. I also am motivated by all of you and our maybe-not-as-huge successes (compared to those huge-success stories) -- as well as how we recover from feeling not as successful as we had hoped.

samnkelli -- the coconut butter I got was Artisana Organic Raw Coconut Butter, and I picked it up at a local discount store that will get different items and then sell out the lot, so I can't rely on getting anything there twice, but I CAN rely on getting hooked on something for 1/2 price and then liking it so much I will pay some ridiculous amount somewhere else. That's better than paying full price and hating it though. There's probably something similar (or the same item) at Whole Foods - I haven't checked lately. Thrive Market has it if you are a member. I'm not, but I see Barefoot Provisions does not require a membership, and I am really tempted to order this some day (sorry, link option is off for some reason)

http://barefootprovisions.com/collections/whole30/products/cashew-cookie-coconut-butter-by-nikkis#.V2GM1U10zs0

Tytbody - when is your surgery? We hope all goes really well and that you can report back soon!

gonegirl - how is your job going after over a week? If anyone needs the energy it sounds like you do... don't know how you do it all.

stravajunkie -- any advice on the late night eating thing - is tea working? I realized I used to start eating around 6:30 and would graze until I went to bed. I've struggled with that in the last few days because I've been eating dinner too late.

Great job everyone, keep going!

I have to say, I'm not seeing tons of changes.  Yet.  I did have the pants thing but when I wore them yesterday to work the bees, they didn't seem as roomy.  Not sure what's going on there.  

Will say, I have been able to NOT have my sauerkraut in the past  several days without dire consequences.  Trying to do this right but have to be able to leave the house!  :) But I'm taking that to mean my gut is healing and the added probiotics aren't as essential now.  

The job has been going great.  Makes me wonder why I waited so long to go back to working hospice.  It's where my heart is in nursing. Now if they could get my frazzling laptop going so I could be turned loose to see patients, chart and be out on my own, that'd be awesome!

Pain from my injury was rough at first.  But I think with increased activity my stamina will improve and the pain will lessen with that and time.

Have normally been a very high energy person.  I'd lost that.  Hoping this helps get me back to my normal.  My Granny used to say, "Girl, you ought not be big around as a broom handle as much as you go!"  But I've had a weight problem most of my adult life.  I truly think breads, pastas and simple sugars are just toxic to me. Hoping I'm healing from the inside out and will regain my former energy levels.

I may try the tea in the evening too.  Especially a nice chamomile to promote rest.  I do find that's a difficult time for me.  Have been trying to "do" something when that hits.  But that makes it difficult to get to sleep.  And if it's on my mind, I'll lay there and think about it and not be able to sleep!  May try that.

Okay.  I'm out for today.  Hope to check in this evening.  Time to clean, clean, clean and maybe hit the store for a bit of shopping.

Ahhh Christine_hang in there!! I am so empathetic...esp. with the kid thing. I have A. Lot. Of. Kids. and school being out definitely contributed to the stress meltdown I had last week, resulting in me restarting...again....

I am so impressed you made it through. Isn't it nuts how those really non-life threating things (like being semi-drowned in mineral water) can put a person over the edge? It's just like our rational brain says "Real life-and this TOO?" ....KUDOS for surviving!

Totally makes sense, thank you!!! Maybe I'll add some olives in addition to that. Thank you!!

I like olives. thanks for the question.. 

I was about to ask it's always about avocado, but what else holds or stands up for replacement for Avocado.. this sends me to the store more then i'd like..  I bought one today and immediately put it in the fridge.. 

Someone mentioned getting a nonfood treat (pedi/mani). I bought a container of EveryBody soap/shampoo combo in Lemon Coconut scent, and it's such a nice morning treat for myself. Also I found an inexpensive veggie spiralizer and have been making fun zucchini noodles.

I also have a zucchini spiralizer.  bought a zucc. the other day.. .

I hope my first efforts at this are good so I can eat Zucchini...

what's your favorite way to eat this. ???   

yea on not drinking diet coke. 

Walking through the supermarket, again.. today, I swear lots of aisles are covered with sugar. Little hidden sugar cubes all around the place.. 

I was able to score a bottle of some Japanese Tea with no sugar..   agggg. oh my my my... it had a taste of coffee.. but I put a slice of Lemon in it and down it went..  I just need more flavor in my liquids... Even when I add in raspberries, its so mild, like the Lacroix . 

I bought 7 ounces of Butter to play with....  gotta try making my Ghee..   

oh..  So you can't make their Mayonnaise  in the Vitamix ?    I have the book and did't even check there for a recipe..  probably has sugar in it any way. 

You can in the vita mix, it is the same recipe except I use the extra light olive oil.  I think (know) wasn't using the right speed and you should put the lemon juice in with the egg at first.  The vita mix is a beast and  I think I was blending on to high a speed. 

For those losing motivation, I would say write something and put it on your fridge saying why you're doing this and try to think about that every time you're tempted or frustrated. It's a good reminder of the big picture in hard times.

thanks Eroti, 

I used to put post its all over.   things changed and I can get back to this. as it is fun..  thank you.. 

We are doing this! Today marks the halfway point. Hang in there everyone!  I'm doing this one day at a time because 30, or even 15, days seems daunting. I can handle one day at a time.

yes we are Suzibec.  Yes, we are.. One day, one meal.  we are all getting stronger. May not be in the Blood but our characters are getting stronger.. Handling candy. being in the house with Pizza and then always being around food, that is not on our plan.. that's strength..  

I'm feeling a bit better today . I think it's because the sun is out and 'm not over full.  

When I get full up to my esophagus. I'm miserable..    

How is our stomach going to shrink being piled so high.. lol   

I love this group and If I don't respond to your post please don't take it personally. there is a lot to read and I'd like to respond to the OP but only way to do that is quote. .  those long multiquotes, is also challenging..    then the post is too long..  but I'm here and I'm wishing and looking forward to our win day.. 

someone, I'm so sorry I can't remember which post asked when My surgery is,,, June 22.. 12 Noon EST. 

Well....here's my thought for the day to add to this excellent mix of musings from you excellent folks:

I'm hearing, from myself and others, a theme of cravings....some physical (sugar) and some more emotional-losing the joy of food etc. So I thought I'd share a bit of my personal experience with the SIGNIFICANT disclaimer that just because I wrestle with certain issues doesn't mean it applies to any or all of you-but maybe it would be helpful to some.

As I said way back when we were introducing ourselves, this is my 2nd W30 and I've had a few partials over the year or so since I did the first one. When I first read "It Starts With Food" I had no idea what a big statement that title really is. Food truly has been (for me) ONLY the start. What I am learning is how much I use food as a Band-Aid instead of addressing a million different things:

- When I've procrastinated at work and have a huge looming deadline...munch chips and cheese and stay up till 2 am to get done.

- When I have guests over and need to sit down to rest, munch cookies to console myself and keep moving

- When I am worried about world events, or family problems, or work stress....

- When I am exhausted running kids to 35 different activities, grab a latte, or 3....

- When someone is disappointed in me....

- When I am embarrassed....

- When I need a pick me up or a feeling of celebration after a long week or work day...

- When I want to feel happy during the holidays....

What I am sllllooowwwwllllyyyy learning is when all of my comfort/trigger foods are taken away through a program like W30, I suddenly start to "hear" my own needs: I need to rest. I need to set healthy boundaries. I need to make realistic schedules and stick to them. I need to be assertive and say I am NOT able to stick to a schedule. I need to say "no". And it's a steep learning curve for me to learn all the habits and skills to actually be in tune with myself instead of using food to cope with life. Fringe benefit has been, in learning to listen to my own needs I find myself being much more understanding of other's (kids, friends, spouse) needs too-When I am not being wildly unrealistic with my self expectations, I'm also more realistic with my expectations of others.

The other thing I'm learning is that life can be enjoyed straight up, so to speak. In other words, I don't have to have a glass of wine to enjoy an amazing sunset-I can actually just enjoy the sunset. I don't have to have a piece of cake to celebrate a birthday-I can honor and enjoy the person with my presence and attention. I don't honor them further by eating sugar. I have really been mulling over the truth that if 60 % of my life can't be enjoyed unless I'm eating something (and furthermore, eating the RIGHT thing-i.e. for me sugary junk) then I have a mindfulness problem, not a food problem.

This is totally not to say that food can't be part of a celebration or that I shouldn't look forward to it-I just find that for myself, it become the end instead of the means-I look forward to the dinner more than the company etc. Removing my crutch allows me the space to start to learn to enjoy reality again....

Someone asked about how the tea drinking instead of night munching is going...it's an uphill battle but I'm making progress. FORCING myself to go through the motions is helping me develop a habit of looking forward to the ritual of making tea, as a "closing" to eating...sort of a way to transition from eating to not eating-which might not be difficult for lots of people but is for me.

Someone else mentioned non-food treats-My personal opinion is that this is SO important. I am learning to ask myself, each morning "what am I looking forward to today?" Some day, to be right honest, I'm mainly looking forward to being done with the day! BUT-if I quantify it, and say to myself, "I'm looking forward to sitting in the dark outside listening to the frogs after the kids are in bed", it seems to help a lot-like I've mentally planted a flag that tells me I WILL HAVE SOME TIME TO MYSELF, I CAN make it through the day and things will get better. Saves me often from melting into a puddle of "poor me" or feeling like everything is just impossible.

So that's totally an overshare, but that's my two cents worth. For me, W30 is a chance to figure out who I am and what I need in the absence of the emotional and physical crutch of food.

Stravajunkie, that was so well said, and it resonated with me significantly. Thank you!! I also need to work on "hearing" my own needs and I think stripping away the habit of using food for comfort is such a difficult thing for so many of us! Ive always thought W30 was so much more than just simply a 30 day food/body re-set. It can truly be a LIFE re-set in terms of making you really think about why we eat/crave/desire the foods that can make us so miserable, both inside and out. In addition to eating better, we begin to figure out ways to manage those triggers differently.  And the feelings/causes/issues that cause those triggers can be very uncomfortable. As the result of W30, I truly believe we are better able to handle life and all it throws at us -- clearer minds, happier moods, knowing we are working to better our bodies on the inside, which will eventually reflect on the outside.  Great, great post.   :D

I don't feel it's an overshare. it helps others to get out what they may be thinking or should or could be thinking about. 

more then just a food eating program.  More then just help cure illness..  

Look at our relationships with food, and when and how much.   

Yes, there is a hella lot going on here besides fixing tasty food. 

It is making me enjoy what to do eat.  it's like a reward to myself to eat that template. 

I think food can be part of a gathering but just be less sweet right? 

Wow! Can I just say again how great this group is??? Thank you all for your wonderful, thoughtful, helpful posts. Thank you for sharing the ups and downs, because I think it really helps me to realize "your mileage may vary". Thank you for the great advice, the awesome meal ideas and recipes, and the encouragement. Your stories make me laugh, make me commiserate, make me think, and inspire me!

Tytbody - my favorite way to make zucchini noodles (zoodles) is to spiralize the zucchini, and then spread the noodles out on a few paper towels, sprinkle liberally with salt, and cover with a few more paper towels (kind of pat the towels down on to the noodles). Let that sit for about 30 minutes, an hour if you have time. This draws some of the water out of them. Then, I take my sauce and let it cook down a bit so it's a bit thicker. Do this in a big pan, because once the sauce is thick you can put the noodles right in, an stir them to coat. You don't really need to cook them - I usually take the sauce off the heat before adding the noodles. If you cook the noodles too much they kind of get smushy.

stravajunkie-I love what you had to say!  

tytbody-I do pretty much like JT.  I had Zoodles with my homemade spaghetti sauce tonight for dinner.  Decided to cook after all.  Salmon and asparagus can be eaten tomorrow.  

I'm very thankful for this group!

Archived