Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Day 12 and I'm just getting to an update. Overall, I feel really great. I never had headaches or any real withdrawals, luckily! I am still drinking my coffee, I have no interest in giving that up. I LOVE it. I found a coconut milk that is super yummy blended up with an egg, a little coconut oil and some vanilla bean scrapings. Hubby and I did the first week pretty simply, bbq protein and roast a veggie. We have branched out and had red Thai Curry, and salmon cakes with fried plantains (patacones style) and they were both fabulous. Our kids are joining in for dinners, albeit unwittingly. We've made rice for them a couple times, but they've been well fed. :) Every day at 2:30 until about halfway thru Crossfit, I have a rumbly tummy. It happens whatever I have eaten, no variances seem to affect it. I feel really "clear". Like my eyes are brighter and I have more oomph. Or something. It's good!

Enjoying reading your posts and using your tips for my journey.

Karyn

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I"  have that book on my list of things to purchase on Amazon.  there seem to be enough good recipes in there to stimulate me..  

But really, this W30 recipes pages is great. I meant to say this before. nothing I've made from it was a flop.. (except the mayonnaise)  and no. I don't want to try it again.. I Like my avocado mayo... 

I have several paleo cookbooks because of wheat and dairy allergies in my kids, Nom Nom Paleo is a favorite though. I have been very happy with the whole30 recipes tried as well. I really like the ease of the master recipes from ISWF, simple and tasty!

I have several paleo cookbooks because of wheat and dairy allergies in my kids, Nom Nom Paleo is a favorite though. I have been very happy with the whole30 recipes tried as well. I really like the ease of the master recipes from ISWF, simple and tasty!

I did purchase It starts With Food on my iBooks...;)   that way I can see the color pictures.. 

another good meal..  Chicken, Roasted squash and String beans with piece of avocado. again...   Lacroix..   and a few more hours to spare to eat the rest of it for meal 3:)  yea..     

I just want to thank everyone for being here. I'm glad you saw the need and believed that you could make a change for you...  

More and more people need this program..  Even we all don't feel all the hype that others have, it is working on us in the way we need it.... I now understand that.. 

Hi Everyone!

Crimsann - I totally love your idea of a "kitchen treat"! I agree that making my kitchen more fun to be in might help my attitude towards cooking. :) Thanks for the great link!

Tytbody - I'm drinking La Croix like it's going out of style, but I think I still need to up my water intake. I've always been bad about that. Gotta remember to keep my water bottle with me. Half the time I fill it up and then leave it on the counter - doh! And I think June was a good month for me to do this. I'm teaching summer session all month, so that helps me stay in a routine, which is good for me. The only thing that is not so great about June is that I'm going to Scotland for two weeks in early July, so I'm not sure how great the reintroduction phase is going to go, which I think is really the point of the Whole30. But I've already decided that if I totally screw up the reintroduction phase I will do another Whole30 in September.

Suzibeck - Nom Nom Paleo is one of my favorites too!

KHoo - Glad you are feeling good! You are almost halfway there!!

Hope you all have a good night!

It's all about curveballs...that is all I have had thrown at me the last couple of days.  However, with that being said, I have reacted to them in a calm and professional manner and I have stayed on track.  Having to go in on my day off, early and staying late some other days this week.  I still feel good and I am tired but it is a good tired.

Has anyone noticed that even your "tired" feels different?  I used to finish my day, sit on the couch to "relax" and immediately fall asleep.  Now when I am tired it feels like I accomplished something and I can actually relax and unwind before going to bed.  I would fall asleep in my clothes and sometimes never make it to bed.  Now it's like I decide when I am going to sleep even though I am tired.  I don't know if this makes sense but I am curious if any of you feel different now that we are more than halfway through.

I hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Tytbody about the water, I probably don't drink enough either.  At work I drink it but when I am home I have sparkling water, I need the bubbles as I am too used to Diet Coke.  I drink enough at home but at work I should drink more but too busy running around.

Day 18 and I feel GRRReat! :D    No more joint aches, no more brain fog, no more restless sleep and lots of energy.  I dont know what the 'slump' was a few days back with cravings and low energy, but it is completely gone now.  I am loving reading all your posts and meals. I have found a few staples that I love and satiate me!  Almost every day I have 2-3 eggs (I LOVE eggs) and maybe some sausage over a bed of sweet potato home fries (peppers, onions) olive oil; then M2 is generally a burger or piece of chicken with broccoli and/or a salad with avocado and Tessamaes.  and lately Ive been working late so I stop by the local Coop and buy some roasted chicken, steamed greens and grilled squash/peppers. they post the ingredients in all their cooked food so I can know exactly what Im getting.  

when I want a change I make the pesto sauce and cook a bunch of veggies w/ chicken and eat it over zoodles.  or italian sausage in tomato sauce with veggies over zoodles (or not).  :P

The ONLY things I miss sometimes are wine with dinner, beer after a hike and cheese on my saucy dishes.  Otherwise I could care less about bread, sugar and beans! (although I am looking forward to a little hummus at some point). :)  

12 Days to go and frankly, I'm not sure I want this to end, but I am curious to see what happens with reintroduction.  

Glad to hear others are starting to feel better! I'm feeling awesome last few days! Yesterday I did an hour long hot yoga class, then felt so good and energetic I did a 3 mile jog after that!!! Today I spent some time at the pool (the sun and chlorine usually makes me groggy the rest of the day) but I had so much energy I cleaned my entire house! I feel like I've definitely turned a corner and I'm loving it. Today my husband had 2 free tickets to a beer and food festival (unlimited food and craft beer from all around the world) but I told him I wasn't going to go! He went with friends and had a great time. Part of me was sad to not get to go because it sounded incredible, but it felt empowering to be able to say no and stick to the commitment I made! Keep it up everyone!!!

Glad everyone is doing well.  Breakfast this morning included eggs from my chickens.  Added to that were chanterelles foraged by us yesterday. Packed a lunch for a beach day.  While at the beach we caught a whole bunch of blue crabs.  So, boiled those for dinner with veggies and ghee for dipping for the fat.

Still with cravings but not as bad.  Working and on call tomorrow.  Hoping to pack appropriate foods.  Keep on keeping on everyone.

Life circumstances have me down today and I'm not feeling the Whole30.  I just want to eat what is easy.  Life is just hard sometimes and that is when it is most difficult for me to eat healthy.   I've been up for two hours and haven't eaten yet. Better pull up my big girl panties and go make myself a healthy breakfast.

Life circumstances have me down today and I'm not feeling the Whole30.  I just want to eat what is easy.  Life is just hard sometimes and that is when it is most difficult for me to eat healthy.   I've been up for two hours and haven't eaten yet. Better pull up my big girl panties and go make myself a healthy breakfast.

so sorry to hear of your life getting you down day.. Just remember, it's just  one day.  Hopefully...  This is the day to pamper yourself, if possible.. Even if it's just a shower..   Do some meditating..  Alone time

Drink lots of water. to keep you moving.  

Be glad that you do have this little pressure now because you know what, you'll see you can make it.. you can live through this slump..  I think it is hurting a little but try to listen to what it is saying you should do while in the circumstance.  

Kindness, kindness kindness.  and a self hug  {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

Thanks! I'm hanging in there.  I don't want to, but I also don't want to quit.  Thankfully, I know eating healthy will help me deal with the stress and I need to hang on to that.  Stress will always be here in one form or another so learning not to depend on food to deal with it is key to living healthy.  It's just hard today.  

Hi Suzibeck, sorry to hear!  I am getting to the point where I am tired of the restrictions and actually having more cravings and cheating thoughts the last few days.  I can honestly say that I have been 99.999% on track as far as compliance to food, though some days I am a little short on veggies.  I don't feel any more energetic than before, have lost weight but I would think the amount of calories that is now out of my diet would have to do that.  I have done the fast metabolism diet and felt healthier on it.  Though like you I want to quit, I figure that I have past the half way point so I am just going to power through.  I don't know if I will go through the re-introduction phase, as I rarely ate dairy, occasional greek yogurt,  legumes and grains only a couple times a week.  Sugar is my thing and now that I am looking for it on every package I see that it is everywhere, not just in my cookies!  So I will finish my 30 days and then go back to the fast metabolism diet. 

meals getting very repetitive gotta get out of this breakfast rut.  Most every day is scrambled eggs with veggies,  bacon and piece of fruit  lunch is usually some version of chicken and salad  dinner will be protein veggies, salad, and sometimes potato.   Find myself always hungry from 3pm till dinner which will sometimes be as late as 8pm (work retail).  So will sometimes have a snack usually raw veggies sometimes a LARA bar.  Try to get 90 ounces of water but sometimes only 72.  17 days and lost 7 pounds but 5 was at day 7 so only 2 in last 10 days 

I think if we think of this sorta like a drug habit. we are all Kicking the addiction...

yes, this is hard. and there is a light at the end of our tunnel. 

we will be able too choose whats best. 

I'm still looking forward to my rice with ghee.. nothing else is really gnawing at me..  Just my rice..  

but that is going to scare me to think my problem lies in the rice..  

I have been backing of of the pizza but I guess not enough.. I didn't even have it once a week...  

Loved cheese in my eggs.. 

ahh..  we shall see. 

we are all doing really really well. 

Good morning all...I hope everyone is having a great weekend.  Today will probably be the hardest day.  We are going to spend time with my dad and bring his favorite lunch from the golden arches (he is 91 and he can eat whatever the heck he likes).  It's the smell of that food that will drive me nuts.  I am going to tell myself it won't taste as good as it smells, kind of like coffee to make my way through and eat lunch before we go.

LoriJJ I hear you on those labels.  I love rotisserie chicken and where I buy the chicken it is honey brined, even the plain.  It was my go to dinner if I got out of work late.

Tytbody I too love rice!

Suzibeck hang in there! 

I stayed compliant yesterday but no real template meals.  I craved something awful, may hardest day by far!  Back to templet today.  Two eggs, a potato shredded and cooked in garlic infused coconut oil, and cooked spinach (gag) for breakfast.  I have some hard boiled eggs and a big salad already set for lunch.  I have to haul a group of teens about 25 minutes away to see the Dori movie after church so I'm prepared to eat on the run.  

My hubby is crabby and not liking the smells of my cooking.  I have no real support here at home so I'm very thankful for you all! 

Good morning!

It's day 19 for you.

For me, it's a day to regroup and start over.

My dad had a heart attack and had to have surgery yesterday. This happened while my husband and I were on our camping trip. We just got home and now have to regroup and sort life out here at home before we head over to check in on dad. While I didn't make extremely poor choices in food, I didn't eat or drink complaint either---I had a couple of hard ciders last night with corn chips and salsa. I'm not giving up though. I've come this far with feeling so much better about myself and I know what foods I cannot tolerate.

I wish you all the best on your journey! 

Hi guys. Well, sounds like a few of us are struggling. I know this isn't all roses and rainbows and we all have challenges. But remember, we've made it this far, we are approaching the home stretch and then we can say we are finishers. Hang in there and enjoy the "can have" foods rather than focusing on the bummer of the "cant have" foods. I am having a hard time too but I will not quit because this group is in it with me -- we can carry each other to the finish line if that is how we need to make it through!!!  I've come too far and this is my gift to myself!!  :D  :ph34r:

REINTRODUCTION.....not a bad idea to start planning for it and thinking about what group of food you are going to start with. Here is a worksheet I used that has the food groups to be reintroduced and then a section to journal how you reacted to that food group. I find these sort of things handy and very helpful. You may too. http://www.oliveyouwhole.com/whole30/whole30-reintroduction-planner/

Fathers Day meal for my family at a steak house this afternoon. Need to peruse the menu and make sure I can find something compliant. 

Have a great day, all!!

meals getting very repetitive gotta get out of this breakfast rut.  Most every day is scrambled eggs with veggies,  bacon and piece of fruit  lunch is usually some version of chicken and salad  dinner will be protein veggies, salad, and sometimes potato.   Find myself always hungry from 3pm till dinner which will sometimes be as late as 8pm (work retail).  So will sometimes have a snack usually raw veggies sometimes a LARA bar.  Try to get 90 ounces of water but sometimes only 72.  17 days and lost 7 pounds but 5 was at day 7 so only 2 in last 10 days 

What brand bacon did you find with no sugar please?  I was so disappointed Walmart did not have any. 

Archived