Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Good morning all...I hope everyone is having a great weekend.  Today will probably be the hardest day.  We are going to spend time with my dad and bring his favorite lunch from the golden arches (he is 91 and he can eat whatever the heck he likes).  It's the smell of that food that will drive me nuts.  I am going to tell myself it won't taste as good as it smells, kind of like coffee to make my way through and eat lunch before we go.

LoriJJ I hear you on those labels.  I love rotisserie chicken and where I buy the chicken it is honey brined, even the plain.  It was my go to dinner if I got out of work late.

Tytbody I too love rice!

Suzibeck hang in there! 

lol  your Dad love McDonalds/   lol. That's a good one.. lol 

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stayed compliant yesterday but no real template meals.  I craved something awful, may hardest day by far!  Back to templet today.  Two eggs, a potato shredded and cooked in garlic infused coconut oil, and cooked spinach (gag) for breakfast.  I have some hard boiled eggs and a big salad already set for lunch.  I have to haul a group of teens about 25 minutes away to see the Dori movie after church so I'm prepared to eat on the run.  

My hubby is crabby and not liking the smells of my cooking.  I have no real support here at home so I'm very thankful for you all! 

my husband asked me yesterday If I wanted to see a movie. And to think of all those smells that go along with the movie..  I don't think we are going to go because I have a client today and then he's back to his work shift of 3-11.. which is really 1-1 

Good morning!

It's day 19 for you.

For me, it's a day to regroup and start over.

My dad had a heart attack and had to have surgery yesterday. This happened while my husband and I were on our camping trip. We just got home and now have to regroup and sort life out here at home before we head over to check in on dad. While I didn't make extremely poor choices in food, I didn't eat or drink complaint either---I had a couple of hard ciders last night with corn chips and salsa. I'm not giving up though. I've come this far with feeling so much better about myself and I know what foods I cannot tolerate.

I wish you all the best on your journey! 

Sorry to hear about your dad.. 

Especially before father's day. Thank God he is still here.. 

And you are not going any where please..  Just stay..  

yes it's difficult but I'm staying even though i'm having surgery. . 

this is a great group..  we can support each other, I hope After June 30, right?  where will i go if we all just drop..???  

we can't. we've created a little family here..   

Check on Dad, wish him Happy Father's day and we keep marching..    

Hi guys. Well, sounds like a few of us are struggling. I know this isn't all roses and rainbows and we all have challenges. But remember, we've made it this far, we are approaching the home stretch and then we can say we are finishers. Hang in there and enjoy the "can have" foods rather than focusing on the bummer of the "cant have" foods. I am having a hard time too but I will not quit because this group is in it with me -- we can carry each other to the finish line if that is how we need to make it through!!!  I've come too far and this is my gift to myself!!  :D  :ph34r:

REINTRODUCTION.....not a bad idea to start planning for it and thinking about what group of food you are going to start with. Here is a worksheet I used that has the food groups to be reintroduced and then a section to journal how you reacted to that food group. I find these sort of things handy and very helpful. You may too. http://www.oliveyouwhole.com/whole30/whole30-reintroduction-planner/

Fathers Day meal for my family at a steak house this afternoon. Need to peruse the menu and make sure I can find something compliant. 

Have a great day, all!!

No it's not a bad Idea to talk about how we will continue.. I will be here as you all continue.   

and I will continue starting again.   

As with the the start of the Whole 30 I wish I knew more before I started so I'm sure going to look at how to go forward after I'm done..  so I know what I'm doing.. 

Great link..   

I'm jealous of those that write awesome plans and helps doing someone else's program..   

looks beautiful.. 

meals getting very repetitive gotta get out of this breakfast rut.  Most every day is scrambled eggs with veggies,  bacon and piece of fruit  lunch is usually some version of chicken and salad  dinner will be protein veggies, salad, and sometimes potato.   Find myself always hungry from 3pm till dinner which will sometimes be as late as 8pm (work retail).  So will sometimes have a snack usually raw veggies sometimes a LARA bar.  Try to get 90 ounces of water but sometimes only 72.  17 days and lost 7 pounds but 5 was at day 7 so only 2 in last 10 days 

weren't your meals before whole 30 repetitive?     Really .. how many different meals do we really eat in a month? 

What's in a lara Bar? I've heard of these.   

Tytbody, lol, I'm sitting in B&N after going to see Finding Dori with some of the teens. They needed a ride and offered me a free ticket to schlep them. Now, they are shopping before we head home. The smells in the theater were not kind!

There is so much sugar in the world.  I can't see how come there are so many mean people.  

even in Whole Foods I could not find a ketchup without sugar or as they say now. Organic Sugar 

so hard to shop..  .   

I guess I will learn to do without sugar.  

Iteach, so very sorry to hear about your Dad. Be kind to yourself and take care of you and your family. You will get back on track when the time is right. Wishing you all the best. 

iteach, Im so sorry to hear about your father. Thinking of you and your family...life happens and becomes bigger than this sometimes. Hugs to you. 

Sorry to hear about your dad.. 

Especially before father's day. Thank God he is still here.. 

And you are not going any where please..  Just stay..  

yes it's difficult but I'm staying even though i'm having surgery. . 

this is a great group..  we can support each other, I hope After June 30, right?  where will i go if we all just drop..???  

we can't. we've created a little family here..   

Check on Dad, wish him Happy Father's day and we keep marching..    

Iteach, sorry about your dad. Thinking of you and your family. Please stick around, there are several of us who need to stay with it longer or who joined us later just because we are so active.

Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and understanding. It's devastating for our family in so many ways, but we know he's in the best of care. I got a chance to chat with him and share a laugh about how if he really wanted all his kids and family around him on Father's Day it would have been cheaper and easier to just pick up the phone. He still has his sense of humor intact...which is a huge positive. He's been moved from ICU to his own room and being monitored---ahead and on track of what the doctors expected.

I think I'll just continue to solider on and keep reading all your posts---a lurker at it's finest. ;) I love reading how well you're all doing and it gives me hope and drive to keep going.  I'm also keeping track of what I'm eating here at home and setting my goals and alarm clocks to get up and get each day started. 

Peace and light to all of you!

For some reason today I feel exhausted.  I know this past week has been crazy at work but I haven't felt like this since before Whole 30. 

Sounds like a lot of us had a busy weekend with things, some good and some sad.  We hung out with my dad at the nursing home and then had a steak dinner with the kids for Father's Day.  We lost my father in law in February and our dads were roommates so it was great being with my dad but its the first Father's Day without my father in law...some good and some sad.

We do what we do and soldier on...I hope everyone stays on here. 

Thinking of you iteach. Hope your Dad continues to improve!

There is so much sugar in the world.  I can't see how come there are so many mean people.  

even in Whole Foods I could not find a ketchup without sugar or as they say now. Organic Sugar 

so hard to shop..  .   

I guess I will learn to do without sugar.  

Tessamae's makes a compliant ketchup. I've found it in the refrigerated salad dressing section in Target. It is tangy though and I didnt like it so I made my own. Super easy.  Pederson's makes a compliant bacon and it is sold at Whole Foods - it evens says Whole 30 complaint on the package. Walmart isnt the place for that sort of thing I wouldnt think....

LaraBars we are told should only be used in emergency situations -- they are made of dates and nuts and there are only certain flavors that are compliant so be careful. I prefer a similar bar called the RX bar that is sold at Whole Foods. Also made of dates/nuts and egg whites and I LOVE them. All flavors are compliant except peanut butter. I eat them sometimes. Dont tell anyone.

So glad everyone had a nice Father's Day...all things considered. Talk to you all tomorrow :)

I haven't checked in for a LONG time.  I read most of the entries on my phone.  Good job everyone!  Learn from the bumps in the road, next time you'll know how to avoid them.  

I have been going out to eat without issue.  Restaurants have been very good about working with me.  Burgers without buns or cheese, add avocado and mustard, steamed veggies on the side...and I'm full.  

Yesterday was fathers day so we went out for breakfast...omelets without cheese, with onions and peppers and avocado.  EASY!  

Went to the movies, brought a sprig of mint and ordered a water...AND they had naked almonds so I didn't feel like the only one without a snack.  PERFECT!

I'm finally feeling the weight come off, which isn't why I was doing this, but did get a bit jealous of people when they said they lost weight and I hadn't noticed.  I spent the weekend in my bathing suit and actually felt pretty sexy!  

The two things I miss are summer ice cream trips and BEER!  We are brewery hoppers, so drinking water at the brewery is tough, but everyone loves that I am automatically the DD.  :)

Oof, definitely spent too much time in the kitchen this weekend for this time of year.  That garlic cabbage smelled amazing though, but I was regreting having the  oven going half the day between that and the squash and meatballs.  I had planned to do a batch of roasted potatoes as well for a sausage/potato salad and just couldn't face any more oven time!  Not sure what my meal plan for next week will be but I'm prioritizing things that don't need to be roasted!!! 

I think, looking back, I do sort of always hit a stage where nothing sounds good and it can be really hard to keep myself tempted to eat so while I'm sort of frustrated to be face-to-face with that wall again...it's not exactly unexpected.  Factor that in with the hot weather (which I love but does not do anything for my appetite for cooked food) and I think I just need to find some good heavy salad ideas.  I bookmarked one version of broccoli salad that would work.  Mostly I need to get creative with dressings. 

For reintroduction, one of the things I'm working on is treating sugar sort of like I do fruit and nuts now.  I will likely not eliminate it entirely, but I want to use it where it's a seasoning such as in some salad dressings or sauces that are a small part of a real meal and not use it for dessert.  By sugar, I don't even necessarily mean "sugar" just the sweeteners that are off limits right now.  I won't be adding them back to beverages or sprinkling it on fruit or making a ton of paleo cookies or anything.  I have a list of less than ten things that I think would help broaden my food horizons without plunging me right back into old habits, but that is a ways off for me yet anyway!  Near the top of that list is being able to use some kind of sweeteners in some salad dressings and ketchup.  (I've also tried Tessemae's and found it tasted a lot more like pizza sauce than ketchup) 

I will say, I think this morning was one of the first times since March (my last W30) when I didn't do a tiny little wince looking in the mirror feeling like I had slipped back a step or two.  Weight wise I know I'm at a plateau after having lost a good bit last year, and maintained it which is even better, it's going to be slow going to shed the last part and I'm not expecting much for this first month back on.  I've learned to focus less on the number and more about how I feel about myself though so I'm fine with not knowing the specifics for a couple more months.  For those of you who have been holding out on using the scales, STAY STRONG...there is nothing worse than throwing in the towel too soon because the scales didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.  That thing is off limits on a Whole30 for a reason so do not give in to the temptation to take a peek now.  We have a ways to go yet and a lot can still happen but not if you start second guessing yourself and trying to eat less or thinking more about a number than about how you feel.  If the only place you have to check your progress is by looking at yourself, seeing how you feel in your clothes, and checking in with your body you are FAR more likely to notice the kind of positive changes that are going on right now. 

One last thing I would suggest is when you do reach the end of your 30 days, don't just jump on the scales once.  I usually weigh myself twice a day for two-three days and take an average.  Nothing is more eye-opening about how much that number can fluctuate than treating it like a sampling rather than a cold hard fact.  When I've done this in the past at the end of a W30 I've seen the number move all around even just hours apart and it really helped me let go of caring as much about that one indicator. 

iteach I'm so sorry about your dad. Hope he continues to improve and recover. Be gentle with yourself, and please stick around!

Samnkelli - thanks for the reintroduction link!

tytbody - I'm sticking around post-June! I realized late in the game that I didn't really time this as well as I could have. I was focusing on the "30" part, and not the reintroduction phase, which I now realize is the whole point. Thing is, I leave for a a 2-week trip to Scotland in early July and while I don't intend to go nuts in terms of my diet I'm also certain that I'm not going to be able to manage a proper reintroduction. So I think I'm going to do another Whole30 in September.

Hey everyone! Hope you're all having a good Monday! We've had such a heat wave in San diego the last few days I've felt pretty bad and low energy, haven't exercisedone in a few days. I've also been feel hungry and irritable in between meals, I thought that phase was over! I'm eating a ton of food and making it template. I also feel really bloated today (but it's almost my time of the month) so I'm hoping that's why. I feel like I've felt bloated almost this entire time and it's frustrating because I'm eating so much healthier than I ever have before! Anyone else still have bloating?

Hey everyone! Hope you're all having a good Monday! We've had such a heat wave in San diego the last few days I've felt pretty bad and low energy, haven't exercisedone in a few days. I've also been feel hungry and irritable in between meals, I thought that phase was over! I'm eating a ton of food and making it template. I also feel really bloated today (but it's almost my time of the month) so I'm hoping that's why. I feel like I've felt bloated almost this entire time and it's frustrating because I'm eating so much healthier than I ever have before! Anyone else still have bloating?

Hi Earoti!  I feel some bloating coming back but I am trying to mix up veggies more and I think I may have overdone it with broccoli and cauliflower.  Plus is getting hotter here so I am drinking more water.

tytbody - I'm sticking around post-June! I realized late in the game that I didn't really time this as well as I could have. I was focusing on the "30" part, and not the reintroduction phase, which I now realize is the whole point. Thing is, I leave for a a 2-week trip to Scotland in early July and while I don't intend to go nuts in terms of my diet I'm also certain that I'm not going to be able to manage a proper reintroduction. So I think I'm going to do another Whole30 in September.

YeA. I'LL BE here also..  I don't look forward to eating any other way now I've learned a lot.. 

so because of the surgery tomorrow and all liquids today. I've done as much as I could.. I keep in step until last night.. I said it's my last meal before surgery so, I had pretzel nuggets... lol.  who'd a thunk it.. I went to see the movie Central Intelligence.  and boy oh boy. Loved that.  The Rock was awesome as usual..  He can play it all.  funny, serious an in-between..   

So,  I'm so glad for you all to be able to finish.   I'll certainly pick up when I'm better..  (lurker #2 on duty:) 

How is your water intake  ??? You know you have to drink more in the heat, even when you don't want to..  I'd love a water IV.. lol  There are so many new water bottles coming out. i'm sure to get one..    Check out this video on 4 of them. https://youtu.be/Sco8uygOZvA

I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower too, what veggies won't make you bloated? Is it bad to eat a lot of these?

Tytbody- I feel like I was constantly drinking water because it was so hot!!! Sometimes I think I drink too much water because I have to go to the bathroom all the time haha

It appears that people only start this on the first of the month. well, I guess you could say I have never followed the crowd. It is 6/21, started yesterday, but was to busy reading recipes to post here. 

Had great chicken with lemon, ghee and rosemary last night, with sweet potato and mixed roasted veggies and a salad, Not hungry until sugar craving started.

I slayed the dragon for one day...29 to go. i have no support locally. could really use a buddy. Tried to join FB group 3 days ago...no luck, any ideas? 

Niheala check the forums there are groups starting often, I would say at least once a week if not more. Of course you are welcome to stay here, some of us are in the home stretch but some plan to continue or are at a different day in their journey. 

Earoti, I too was having some bloating but attribute it broccoli, cauliflower and maybe seltzer overload. Cut back on those and seems to be a bit better today. Lettuce, spinach, kale, tomato, cucumber  - none of those seem to bloat me. I've also learned that if I use nuts as my source of fat which I only do very occasionally it makes me feel bloated or just not right in the tummy. 

JT - Scotland, I am jealous!! Sounds wonderful. I have a group of friends going in the fall for an "Outlander" trip lol

Crimsann - great words of wisdom, and I couldn't agree more. I used to be a slave to my scale but Whole 30 has truly taught me it's so not about the number!! 

Big Momma - hope you not feeling as exhausted, good that you increased your water intake thats very important!

Kelli - please share that Ketchup recipe

Mumdee - nice to hear from you and glad things are going well, When you go out for omelets do you worry about what they are cooked in? I know most restaurants are not going to use ghee or olive oil. Just wondering if you ask or just don't worry about it? 

Tytbody - sending lots of positive energy your way. Hope all goes well tomorrow and you have a speedy recovery. You've done great so far and I know you will be back on these boards in no time. 

Wow Day 21 - it's going fast. I think I am most looking forward to a bowl of oatmeal or a greek yogurt (yeah I know weird lol)

Have a great day everyone!!

http://www.planksloveandguacamole.com/2014/08/i-am-all-about-flavor-when-i-prepare.html?m=1

http://littlebitsof.com/2015/12/whole30-ketchup/

Above are links to all sorts of sauces/marinades and ketchup.

Thinking of you tytbody and good luck with your surgery!

Day 22 for me. I can see the light, feeling good albeit very very grumpy when I don't eat regularly. My husband is so ready for me to be done...he gets the brunt of my moods. 

Earoti, cauliflower and brocolli are great veggies but can cause gas and bloating. Here is a link to some info about other causes of bloating.  You may not have the gut flora to tolerate alot of cauliflower/brocolli yet....http://paleoleap.com/paleo-troubleshooting-bloating-gas/

Hot as hades in Denver today --and everywhere else! Ugh! Stay cool people, drink water. 

Have a great tuesday. 

Archived