Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower too, what veggies won't make you bloated? Is it bad to eat a lot of these?

Tytbody- I feel like I was constantly drinking water because it was so hot!!! Sometimes I think I drink too much water because I have to go to the bathroom all the time haha

I don't think veggies make you bloat.. or cause that feeling.  maybe it's just being full.. ???? I don't eat a lot of broccoli but I'll check myself the next time I do eat it. .

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that people only start this on the first of the month. well, I guess you could say I have never followed the crowd. It is 6/21, started yesterday, but was to busy reading recipes to post here. 

Had great chicken with lemon, ghee and rosemary last night, with sweet potato and mixed roasted veggies and a salad, Not hungry until sugar craving started.

I slayed the dragon for one day...29 to go. i have no support locally. could really use a buddy. Tried to join FB group 3 days ago...no luck, any ideas? 

I say stay here. I was told the FB groups aren't moderated so if you do a slip up or have a question on something according to plan, you are moe likely to get the Correct answer here..   People start them on FB but when I read some of the postings, they weren't as compliment as they should be..  

You'll have buddies here. and you won't have to wait long for an answer..    

I think I started on June 1st because it was the closest to me and it made sense. and there were less food activities in this month..    

Better get it in now before the Real holidays start and then you have to stress and say no and more explanations come the last 3 months of the year. 

Wow Day 21 - it's going fast. I think I am most looking forward to a bowl of oatmeal or a greek yogurt (yeah I know weird lol)

Yes this really did go by fast.  I think people think of the torture of losing food as losing part of themselves..    If they did that though they'd be glad to jump on it.. 

I know my stomach has gone done.. Just by looking from the top down, I can tell.  and my mind.. oh ya. my mind has changed..   

Um, like so many sauce recipes I don't even know where to start, thank you!!!!!  Pretty sure at least one of these is making it's way into next weeks meal plan...

Do you all know I have not been able to find my Apple Cidar? It's like it's not November and I can't find any.. Yes, I've been to whole foods and the regular food stores.. 

if it's there it's not in the cold section or gallons that 'm used to seeing. 

whAT DO YOU all use to cut your sweet potatoes into fry style?    

Mumdee - nice to hear from you and glad things are going well, When you go out for omelets do you worry about what they are cooked in? I know most restaurants are not going to use ghee or olive oil. Just wondering if you ask or just don't worry about it? 

No, I don't worry about it.  When I worked in restaurants, we never used anything as far as the oil...however, I didn't think of the milk since we don't use milk at home ever...oops.  I'll have to have poached from now on if I go out...which is rare.  

Hi All! Happy Tuesday!

Earoti - I agree with the others about the cause of bloating. For me, I'm not sure it is FODMAPs, but rather just cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc), which sucks because I love them. But I have to watch my consumption. Give it 2-3 days to make sure that is the culprit.

Tytbody - I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending good thoughts for a success surgery. Hang in there!

Mumdee - glad to hear from you again - I take it all is going well?

I'm doing alright. The constant cooking continues to be a pain, but my family thinks it is great! So, that makes me happy. With the weather heating up we have been doing a lot more cooking on the grill, which has provided a nice change. I also made some coconut lime poached chicken breasts in the crockpot last night and they were super easy AND super yummy - my favorite combination! I just put the chicken breasts into the crockpot along with 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 can of coconut milk, 1 lime sliced into thin rounds, and a 1" piece of ginger, peeled and chopped up. I also added about 1 tsp of salt, but you could omit that. The recipe I used also said you could add a sliced jalapeno and/or some chopped cilantro, but I didn't have either. Still, it turned out wonderfully tasty! I had some today for lunch over a bed of greens, and I think I will have some tomorrow with some cauli-rice. Yum!

• Moderators

Hey June Warriors!

I've been away on holidays but see you're all doing amazing as we head into the final stretch! Let me know if you have questions or need any advice... sorry to have vanished on you all!

Chicken...I am turning into one.  Yesterday was our employee picnic and the only thing I could eat was fruit.  Knowing this ahead of time I prepared chicken on Monday, ate it for lunch and dinner.  And then yesterday I brought it to the picnic with some veggies.  Thi picnic is an all day thing with set up and clean up so by the time I came home the family had eaten so, you guessed it, chicken again.  Thank god I made a bunch on Monday but between my eggs for breakfast and the chicken I feel like I am turning into a chicken.

Sounds like everyone is pounding on in the homestretch.

Tytbody I hope your surgery goes well today.

Hi All! Happy Tuesday!

Earoti - I agree with the others about the cause of bloating. For me, I'm not sure it is FODMAPs, but rather just cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc), which sucks because I love them. But I have to watch my consumption. Give it 2-3 days to make sure that is the culprit.

Tytbody - I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending good thoughts for a success surgery. Hang in there!

Mumdee - glad to hear from you again - I take it all is going well?

I'm doing alright. The constant cooking continues to be a pain, but my family thinks it is great! So, that makes me happy. With the weather heating up we have been doing a lot more cooking on the grill, which has provided a nice change. I also made some coconut lime poached chicken breasts in the crockpot last night and they were super easy AND super yummy - my favorite combination! I just put the chicken breasts into the crockpot along with 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 can of coconut milk, 1 lime sliced into thin rounds, and a 1" piece of ginger, peeled and chopped up. I also added about 1 tsp of salt, but you could omit that. The recipe I used also said you could add a sliced jalapeno and/or some chopped cilantro, but I didn't have either. Still, it turned out wonderfully tasty! I had some today for lunch over a bed of greens, and I think I will have some tomorrow with some cauli-rice. Yum!

All is going VERY well.  I actually plan to stick with this plan after the 30 days with some modifications.  I need to have yogurt...my yeast infections are back in full force after being gone for 5 years!  So, I will be adding yogurt soon.  I'll be staying gluten free and mostly dairy free as well.  My ghee almost never comes out like what you see on youtube, so I think I'll be using butter again soon as well.  lol.  I feel great, though!

AND I plan on trying your chicken recipe soon...that sounds great!

All is going VERY well.  I actually plan to stick with this plan after the 30 days with some modifications.  I need to have yogurt...my yeast infections are back in full force after being gone for 5 years!  So, I will be adding yogurt soon.  I'll be staying gluten free and mostly dairy free as well.  My ghee almost never comes out like what you see on youtube, so I think I'll be using butter again soon as well.  lol.  I feel great, though!

AND I plan on trying your chicken recipe soon...that sounds great!

Hey MumDee, glad you are doing great~ speaking of your infection recurring after a long time, I've wondered about why some issues come back after we "clean" our systems...I have a very very mild case of psoriasis and haven't had a flare up in years. After my first round, it returned. It is getting better but it does take a while.  So, are we more susceptible to things because our system can digest better, we've eliminated toxins, etc and even a slight imbalance can cause issues?  Just thinking out loud. 

Feeling leaner today -- I can tell fat burning is in effect. Made broccoli chicken casserole last night -- was supposed to use full fat coconut milk to make a creamy sauce but all i had was lite coconut milk. Note to self -- don't substitute lite for full fat coconut milk! "Creamy sauce" was like chunky water. Ugh. Epic recipe fail!!  Roasted turnips too -- I thought they were delish! Husband did not. 

Welcome back, SugarCube.

How is everyone else?  iteach, you doing ok? hope tytbody is recovering ok. i cant remember what type of surgery she was having..does anyone know?

Happy hump day. This time next week, we will be at the finish line. Pretty remarkable!

Kelli

Hey MumDee, Ive wondered about why some issues come back after we "clean" our systems...I have a very very mild case of psoriasis and haven't had a flare up in years. After my first round, it returned. It is getting better but it does take a while.  So, are we more susceptible to things because our system can digest better, we've eliminated toxins, etc and even a slight imbalance can cause issues?  Just thinking out loud. 

I think that has a lot to do with it.  I remember reading something about it in the book...especially about psoriasis.  Google psoriasis on whole30 and see what comes up...I found a few interesting articles.

• Moderators

When you eat inflammatory foods your gut creates a mucous lining to help protect itself... when you stop eating these foods, the lining sluffs off and your gut is just itself with no barrier to help protect against the problem foods... when you bring back things that you personally are affected by, because your gut has no existing barrier, those inflammatory items can cause havoc very quickly, causing secondary inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, psoriasis etc... to flare up quite quickly...

• Administrators

When you go out for omelets do you worry about what they are cooked in? I know most restaurants are not going to use ghee or olive oil. Just wondering if you ask or just don't worry about it? 

Hey susabella!  So the official word on the Whole30 is "yes you have to ask and if it is something other than ghee, olive oil, canola or sun/safflower oil (ie, soybean oil or butter), it is off limits for your Whole30 and would be a cause for restart."

You would also want to ask if there is dairy mixed into the eggs before the omelette is created.  On our recent vacation I asked everywhere we went for breakfast and more than half the restaurants mixed milk or cream into the whisked eggs before they poured it into the pan to make the omelette.  

Hey all, day 22! I've had a few bad migraines the past few days, and I've only had a few migraines ever in my life! It seems so weird that I'd get them now when I'm eating so healthy. Anyone else experiencing this? The weather has been wierd lately, lots of changes.

• Moderators

Hey all, day 22! I've had a few bad migraines the past few days, and I've only had a few migraines ever in my life! It seems so weird that I'd get them now when I'm eating so healthy. Anyone else experiencing this? The weather has been wierd lately, lots of changes.

Whole30 can definitely help resolve a lot of things but sometimes the resolve you get is longer periods of relief between flareups of a particular condition... depending on what causes your migraines (weather being a big one that food can't control), you may still experience them, but their duration could be shorter, they could be less intense, it could be that you recover faster... I wish we could say that Whole30 was a guarantee that migraines would be gone but we can't...

If you want, maybe list out what you've been eating ( meal timing, portion sizes, specific veggies, protein and fats) and we can see if there's anything in there that we can tweak to help get you more relief.

Yeah I never used to get migraines before this though! And now a few days in a row. I really do think it's the weather. I just ate a big lunch and already feel it getting less intense.

Yesterday food:

B: 3 eggs, sweet potatoe, green beans with ghee, olives, bell pepper slices, a few strawberries on the side

L: salad with chicken, olives, cucumber, carrots, bell peppers, homemade greek dressing from book

D: zucchini Noodles with homemade pesto from book, grilled shrimp with onions, and sweet potatoe, small "cutie" tangerine

Been drinking a ton of water!

• Moderators

Your food looks good... I would only suggest when eating 'watery' veg like salad greens and cucumbers and zoodles, that you either eat a bucketload, or add some heartier veggies alongside because they're basically water once chewed down.

I would also try increasing your fat a bit... it's hard to tell how much you eat but dressings and ghee can be deceiving for amounts to the short side of the template... your starchy carbs look good so try these couple tips and hopefully the weather breaks too!

Thanks so much!! I'm trying to find veggies that I like! I think I was overdoing it with broccoli and cauliflower so I've been trying to avoid those because of bloating. What are some other good hearty veggies?

Thanks so much for the advice, I'll definitely try those!

• Moderators

Asparagus, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, tomato, green beans, carrots, peppers... I personally am loving the frozen mixed veggies from Costco... it's a nice mix of hearty veg and gets the variety in there too... would be good with your dinner from the other night :)

Happy Day 23 All.  I sounds like we are already figuring out that some foods bother us, or lack of a food bothers us before we even finished and started reintroduction.  I really agree with Mumdee.  My plan will be reintroduce slowly and I will stay away from over processed, chemically added, yada yada foods.  Since I have the couch to 5K (I am way over on the couch side of things) that I really want to accomplish, it is in my best interest to continue to eat healthy and not rock the boat.  I don't want to fail because of how certain foods could make me feel, mentally and physically.  If I fail it will most likely be because I tripped over my own feet and broke something, lol.

Have a great day!

Archived