Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MumDee - don't be too hard on yourself for the nut thing just now. It takes a week for your body to get the hang of it. You're totally right about the egg thing though, and they're even better with homemade mayo / compliant Dijon mustard / combinations thereof!

Thanks and good idea about dijon mustard...that sounds great!

So, I had a mint after lunch.  Dumb.  Old habits die hard.  Looks like I'll have to find another way to freshen my breath after eating. lol

• Moderators

Just be careful with Facebook groups, there are no Whole30 mods or admins that participate so it can easily get into a lot of SWYPO and lots of recommendations for things we wouldn't recommend on the program... if in doubt at all, come back here and ask the questions.

Day 2 of my first Whole 30. Am grateful to have found this forum, and looked at the Timeline which I've saved so I can refer to it often. I like knowing what's ahead. The It Starts With Food book is a great read as I find it motivating to know what the science behind it all. I've done a similar diet over the last year and lost 20 pounds, but I needed to refocus and found the Whole 30. There are so many inspiring stories here, thank you all for sharing! I look forward to sharing my progress and offering support and asking for it along these next 28 days!

Here is how I deal with fruit/nuts on a W30...and not to say this is the right way or the only way...but I think what works about these groups is the ability to share methods and figure out what works for you.

For both, the key for me is that it's planned.  I don't use fruit or nuts as snacks in the sense that sometime between a planned meal I decide I'm hungry and reach for them because I think for me that would be counterproductive for getting rid of cravings for sweet/salty and those are two cravings that would lead me into trouble.

I do however plan in both and I don't shy away from them as much as some, maybe because I do feel like I'm in control this way? 

If I plan this Thursday/Friday (as mentioned before my meal planning days) that next week I'm going to have a handful of pecans on my salad at lunch...then I pack a handful of pecans, eat them on my salad at lunch...and that's it.  If I find I like something soooo much that I'm headed to the pantry for more later that evening?  Cold stop.  It's off the meal plans even for awhile.  I'm not eating fruit or nuts as a "wow that really sounds good right now", so it's never an impulse for me and I think that makes a world of difference in how I balance enjoying fruit/nuts without indulging the cravings I'm trying to break.

With fruit, I tend to be even more cautious and I try to always make my fruit part of the meal and not even as a side dish.  For example, next week my lunch meal is going to be a version of Kahlua Pork where I use some papaya juice in the slow cooker.   I enjoy the added sweetness and the interesting flavors, but I'm not in any way confusing that with "dessert".  Or I make a pineapple slaw.  Incorporating the fruit in with either the protein or the veg and when I do eat fruit alone, it's still because I planned ahead to have it and in the portions I pack. 

I think the group here and not on Facebook is a good fit for me, and I'm planning to not be one of those dropouts along the way!  This is my third (!) start in six weeks, so the good news is that when I go off plan and start feeling less than ideal, I have this immediate need to get back on track!  I’ve had tendonitis for over a year, and I felt the pain going away in the second week both times and then the pain coming back within a couple of days after stopping W30. 

One of my challenges has been with the more-than-usual-for-me animal protein (which I’ve been figuring out) and really, just wanting to go back to some old habits (like on a cold foggy morning when my car wanted to drive itself to somewhere with a warm creamy drink). 

I love reading all your posts – short, long, inspiring, needing help, talking about your favorite meals, or sharing how you navigate all of this.  (I’m very impressed you have July meals planned, Crimsann!  I’m doing good having 3 days out.)  Welcome to all the newer members!  JTCarlson – I agree, the science of it is so interesting!  Until a couple weeks ago I hadn’t read “It Starts With Food” because I didn’t realize I would learn so much, and I loved the detailed and very readable “science-y” explanations.      

My time zone must be way behind everybody else.  I appreciated the curfew note last night, because I read it at just at the time when I should have been going to bed… so I did.

• Moderators

Snacking. Don't feel guilty.  It Starts With Food has a blurb that says something like: "The key to snacking is to only do so if you’re ACTUALLY hungry. When a craving for a snack hits – think: Would I eat some REAL food right now? Like fish and broccoli." If the answer is YES, you’re definitely hungry. Go and eat something, friend. If not, it’s probably just a craving. Drink some water, take a walk to get your mind right. Then carry on. 

I have a mid morning and afternoon snack most days. I listen to my body, and if Im hungry (and use the thought process above), I EAT. My snack is usually a hard boiled egg with some veggies, Jicama with guacamole, an apple with nut butter, a few almonds. Be careful with the nuts and fruit, limit yourself to a certain amount, not endless handfuls. I eat alot on W30... :) 

Good for you that you're using the 'eat real food' test.  It's recommended that you work on making your meals last you the 4-5 hours between so that you don't need to snack.  This is so your body learns to become fat adapted.  We're not suggesting that if you're actually hungry you don't eat, but rather that you take that information to the next meal and the next day and make adjustments accordingly so that you're not needing to snack twice a day.  If you need help adjusting your meals to make it the 4-5 hours, we can help with that!

Just be careful with Facebook groups, there are no Whole30 mods or admins that participate so it can easily get into a lot of SWYPO and lots of recommendations for things we wouldn't recommend on the program... if in doubt at all, come back here and ask the questions.

so good to know. I'll stay here. there are too many lists popping up and I joined one on FB and the person running it is just a newbie herself so how can she really help with goo questions.. 

thanks for letting me know this info.. i'll just stick here.. to many people drinking smoothies and talking about Launa bars and other things that are confusing.. so..   i'm all set with leaving it alone.  thank you SugarcubeOD.  Can you tag people on this forum? 

• Moderators

so good to know. I'll stay here. there are too many lists popping up and I joined one on FB and the person running it is just a newbie herself so how can she really help with goo questions.. 

thanks for letting me know this info.. i'll just stick here.. to many people drinking smoothies and talking about Launa bars and other things that are confusing.. so..   i'm all set with leaving it alone.  thank you SugarcubeOD.  Can you tag people on this forum? 

Nope, you can't tag people but if someone is participating in a thread, they'll get a notification when other posts go in that thread... quoting is a great way to indicate whom you are talking to, like you've done.

As far as ghee, yes that counts but just make sure you're adding the 1-2 thumbs of fat to your finished meal, the cooking fat in general doesn't count as it is negligible and often stays in the pan and is split up between servings.

Good evening all, Day 2 already done: 

M1: Spinach omelet (2 eggs), blueberries and coffee with Coconut oil 

M2 Tuna over lettuce with tomatoes and 1/2 avocado and be careful here folks, I was so surprised to find out that so many canned tuna's contain soy - who would have thunk it?

M3 Grilled Chicken, large salad with cucumber, tomato and 1/2 avocado. 

Hit my water goal: 10 cups!! 

Felt very full and satisfied all day!!

Saw oncologist today, got a good bill of health but was started on hormone therapy. In a nutschell, because I had a hormone positive cancer, we need to suppress estrogen production to decrease the chance of reoccurance. On my previous whole 30's I never took any medications, not even an aspirin, so I'm curious to see how or if this will effect me. 

Hope everyone had a good Day 2!!

Day 2 started off well with a great breakfast of left-over pot roast on a bed of spring greens topped with two fried eggs - DELISH! And......apparently that culinary masterpiece went to my head because I then proceeded to head off to work with ZERO food. Doh! Thankfully I had some macadamia nuts in my desk. I have a cold and I'm taking cold medicine and between that and the no carb thing my brain is feeling pretty sluggish, so figuring out what I would eat was just too much. So I played it safe and didn't anything at all. And........cue Captain Crankypants! My poor family. I literally stomped through the front door and managed to yell at 3 out of 4 family members before I got to the kitchen and buried my head in the rest of the pot roast. Move over caveman, it's time for CAVEBEAST. Not my best moment.

On the bright side, LESSON LEARNED. Day 3 lunch is already packed. :) Hoping you all had MUCH better days!!

Saw oncologist today, got a good bill of health but was started on hormone therapy. In a nutschell, because I had a hormone positive cancer, we need to suppress estrogen production to decrease the chance of reoccurance. On my previous whole 30's I never took any medications, not even an aspirin, so I'm curious to see how or if this will effect me. 

So glad you got a thumbs up from your oncologist! I hope the meds don't make this too difficult, but even then I bet you can do it! Rock on!!

Day 2 started off well with a great breakfast of left-over pot roast on a bed of spring greens topped with two fried eggs - DELISH! And......apparently that culinary masterpiece went to my head because I then proceeded to head off to work with ZERO food. Doh! Thankfully I had some macadamia nuts in my desk. I have a cold and I'm taking cold medicine and between that and the no carb thing my brain is feeling pretty sluggish, so figuring out what I would eat was just too much. So I played it safe and didn't anything at all. And........cue Captain Crankypants! My poor family. I literally stomped through the front door and managed to yell at 3 out of 4 family members before I got to the kitchen and buried my head in the rest of the pot roast. Move over caveman, it's time for CAVEBEAST. Not my best moment.

On the bright side, LESSON LEARNED. Day 3 lunch is already packed. :) Hoping you all had MUCH better days!!

That's what I love about left over chicken. I can just eat it as is. Was your beef dry?

Go caveman

Good morning folks!

Congrats susabella on the clean report! I bet that is a huge relief....It sounds like everyone is doing well. I really like this active, positive group. I agree with Christine_ I think the forum is a better fit for me than FB, if nothing else because I don't have time to manage two different discussions and I'd like to be able to be an active participant!!

My win yesterday was finding time to make some mayo, which I ate with taco salad kind of as a sour cream replacer....let me tell you, it was awesome! Homemade mayo + taco meat + tomato + avocado + olives = basically awesome...

I really like SugarcubeOD's tip on fat: the first W30 I did I could not get my head around eating adequate fat-a whole avocado, or lots of coconut oil for frying just felt so weird and 'high calorie"....and as a result I REALLY REALLY struggled with sugar cravings. Once I finally decided to trust the recommendation and made peace with good fats, my cravings dramatically evaporated (caveat here: my PHYSICAL cravings went away. I still really struggle with stress related urges to munch carbs, as a coping mechanism, but I don't have the physical "withdrawal symptoms" I used to deal with). Just a thought as we hit day three and tired/cravings can kick in - delicious fat is your friend!! :)

Good Morning All, 

Stravajunkie I couldn't agree more we have a great group going here and no need to spread ourselves to thin. Your recipe sounds awesome. I haven't made mayo yet mostly because I don't ever eat mayo - but sounds like it might be something I want to try. 

JT - thanks for the shout out, and for giving me a great idea - Pot roast, what a great protein and so simple to make. I love how every mistake we make along the way lends itself to a learning experience. I mean that is really what it all about!!

Crimsann - I agree with the planning of fruits and nuts and that is exactly how I learned to manage those foods too. One of my biggest problems is mindless eating, good food, junk food either way no eating should be mindless and Whole 30 really helps with that! 

Christine - I haven't read ISWF because I didn't think there was any new information in there, but your post has peaked my curiosity and I think I will read it this weekend. 

Tytbody - I will echo what sugar cube and Stravajunkie have said those fats are so important to help fight hunger and cravings. Don't omit them!!!

Happy Friday Y'All!!!

My win yesterday was finding time to make some mayo, which I ate with taco salad kind of as a sour cream replacer....let me tell you, it was awesome! Homemade mayo + taco meat + tomato + avocado + olives = basically awesome...

Oh I'm so glad you posted this!  I was literally contemplating the same thing last night.  I have chicken taco salad down for one of my lunch meals this month and was trying to decide if I wanted to tackle making "sour cream" out of cashews which I have a recipe to do but have never tried...or if I wanted to tweak up some mayo to make it more tangy and create a taco topping with that.  I was thinking make it with lime instead of lemon and possibly add some spice like cumin if it was still bland when I tried that.  Now I'm thinking I was on the right track with a mayo base even though I sort of thought I was maybe crazy thinking that. 

I told you guys...wavelengths....it's nearly creepy, but I love it!

I can't lie, I'm looking forward to a curfew free night tonight...but knowing me and Friday nights in general I will be passed out around the same time anyway.  I will not however be popping out of bed early tomorrow.  LUXURY.  Part of me knows I should, keep up the same rhythm all week long, but I work for my weekends.  I may be awake, but I will not be vertical until at least 9:00 even if I have to tie myself down in order to enjoy it.  It's shaping up to be a cloudy, rainy kind of weekend so I'm not sure what that means for patio furniture shopping or finishing up my garden planting but my meal plan is pretty simple for next week so I may take the extra time to play around with a recipe or two this weekend.  One of my friends sent me a suggestion on how to use a waffle iron while on Whole30, which before you gasp in shock, is just using it as a way to crisp up a hash.  Eggs and shredded potatoes mixed with chopped protein (she said ham but I've nothing compliant without mail ordering so I'm thinking chicken sausage) and then some peppers and onions diced as well or just take it from there.  It sounded like a super fast way of cooking that up, but also more like something I would do on a weekend where my Meal 1 starts later in the day and ends up being more brunch and more filling than a weekday.  I like to be especially full when grocery shopping, LOL!  It makes sticking to my compliant list that much easier and I get through those longer cooking sessions without sampling everything as well. 

Speaking of longer cooking sessions, for our newbies, I wanted to share my absolute favorite "kitchen gadget" purchase....wireless headphones and audiobooks.  You could be all mature and listen to sensible science/nutrition books to inspire you, but I'm just as likely to be listening to an Agatha Christie myself.  ;)   It's such a simple thing, but it makes those hours of being stuck in the kitchen fly by.  Especially if you are trying to do more ahead than usual for you, it's easy to get burned out on cooking by the end of 30 days (or 3 days for that matter) so while I really like doing as much on Sunday as possible for the next week getting lost in a great book makes it a million times more fun and less chore. 

Here is a link to a failproof easy mayo recipe. No need to let eggs come to room temperature or slow drizzling in the oil that they recommend in the Whole30 book. You do need a hand held blender to make it but I highly recommend giving it a try.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Taco salads sound great....growing up, I always use to mix store bought mayo and ketchup and add it as my dressing to taco salad. I guess that makes a sort of french dressing...it sounds gross but it adds a bit of tartness and creaminess.Now, I can still mimic that but I use ketchup that I make myself (or useTessamaes brand ketchup, found at Target) and ofcourse, I use the mayo recipe above. It is delicious.  So, you can find ways to adapt those recipes that you know and love from your pre-Whole30 life and make them healthy and compliant. Discovering things that work for you is part of this journey, so experiment!

Love the waffle iron idea Crimsann! I'm going to give that a try for sure.

Have a great Day 3!

Back later. 

Kelli

So somehow I have ended up in three groups, lol.  Apparantly I just can't remember all the different topics I started reading.  There are a lot of us that started on June 1.  So here it goes...today is day three and all is well. I feel better than I thought I would (I know it is just the third day) which has me strangely enthusiastic.  A few headaches but that has really been it.  I know I posted something along these lines on another topic but here it goes.

I have tried another "diet" before multiple times (the one with points).  What I realized this morning is that it wasn't about how much I was eating but about what I was eating.  I basically was eating all the same things with smarter choices about foods.  Choosing low fat/calorie options for bread, cheese etc.  I concluded that bread is bread no matter what.  I know this plan is not a diet to lose weight but I always felt like crap when I tried to or lost weight.  I still lived with a huge amount of diet coke, still had my sandwich but had it in a pita and so on.  My body was still always saying "I WANT MORE!!!!"  The other reason I feel that the plan did not work for me was that I was so focused on the plan and how many points do I have left for the day.  If there is one thing I can honestly say is that the more I focus on the "plan" the less I focus on other things and I am less productive in the rest of my day.  So my approach to this may go against what a lot of you have said.  Plan, plan and more planning. 

My plan is not to focus on the entire 30 days but focus on the moment.  If my family wants burgers for dinner, we shall have them.  Mine will be without the bun or a bun alternative.  I just make sure that I have food in the house that is compliant and eat what I need to eat to complete this journey without making it seem like something extra that I have to do.  I know that this may same strange but I am trying to do this as if this already my new normal.  The rest of my family will have what we always have had and I will have ghee on my baked potato instead. 

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Good luck all on day 3!

• Moderators

So somehow I have ended up in three groups, lol.  Apparantly I just can't remember all the different topics I started reading.  There are a lot of us that started on June 1.  So here it goes...today is day three and all is well. I feel better than I thought I would (I know it is just the third day) which has me strangely enthusiastic.  A few headaches but that has really been it.  I know I posted something along these lines on another topic but here it goes.

I have tried another "diet" before multiple times (the one with points).  What I realized this morning is that it wasn't about how much I was eating but about what I was eating.  I basically was eating all the same things with smarter choices about foods.  Choosing low fat/calorie options for bread, cheese etc.  I concluded that bread is bread no matter what.  I know this plan is not a diet to lose weight but I always felt like crap when I tried to or lost weight.  I still lived with a huge amount of diet coke, still had my sandwich but had it in a pita and so on.  My body was still always saying "I WANT MORE!!!!"  The other reason I feel that the plan did not work for me was that I was so focused on the plan and how many points do I have left for the day.  If there is one thing I can honestly say is that the more I focus on the "plan" the less I focus on other things and I am less productive in the rest of my day.  So my approach to this may go against what a lot of you have said.  Plan, plan and more planning. 

My plan is not to focus on the entire 30 days but focus on the moment.  If my family wants burgers for dinner, we shall have them.  Mine will be without the bun or a bun alternative.  I just make sure that I have food in the house that is compliant and eat what I need to eat to complete this journey without making it seem like something extra that I have to do.  I know that this may same strange but I am trying to do this as if this already my new normal.  The rest of my family will have what we always have had and I will have ghee on my baked potato instead. 

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Good luck all on day 3!

If you find a group you like, its easier to just stick with one group... of course you CAN participate in more than one group but as per forum rules, copy/pasting content and crossposting across multiple groups is not allowed.  These two duplicate posts can stay but please don't cross post.  :)

Archived