Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

My win yesterday was finding time to make some mayo, which I ate with taco salad kind of as a sour cream replacer....let me tell you, it was awesome! Homemade mayo + taco meat + tomato + avocado + olives = basically awesome...

I really like SugarcubeOD's tip on fat: the first W30 I did I could not get my head around eating adequate fat-a whole avocado, or lots of coconut oil for frying just felt so weird and 'high calorie"....and as a result I REALLY REALLY struggled with sugar cravings. Once I finally decided to trust the recommendation and made peace with good fats, my cravings dramatically evaporated (caveat here: my PHYSICAL cravings went away. I still really struggle with stress related urges to munch carbs, as a coping mechanism, but I don't have the physical "withdrawal symptoms" I used to deal with). Just a thought as we hit day three and tired/cravings can kick in - delicious fat is your friend!! :)

Alright Stravajunkie - you've inspired me to try my hand at making mayo. I've been wanting to do it for a while now, but for some reason it intimidates me. I'm going to give it a try today!

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of longer cooking sessions, for our newbies, I wanted to share my absolute favorite "kitchen gadget" purchase....wireless headphones and audiobooks.  You could be all mature and listen to sensible science/nutrition books to inspire you, but I'm just as likely to be listening to an Agatha Christie myself.  ;)   It's such a simple thing, but it makes those hours of being stuck in the kitchen fly by.  Especially if you are trying to do more ahead than usual for you, it's easy to get burned out on cooking by the end of 30 days (or 3 days for that matter) so while I really like doing as much on Sunday as possible for the next week getting lost in a great book makes it a million times more fun and less chore. 

A fellow Agatha Christie fan!! What a great tip!

Day 4 and I feel like I have PMS X10...I definitely have zero tolerance for reading anything right now.  Ugh.  This might be the worst feeling ever.  EVER!

Oh no!!!! Hang in there MumDee! Drink lots of water and be kind to yourself today. You are doing something awesome with your life and you deserve big props for that!

...apparently that culinary masterpiece went to my head because I then proceeded to head off to work with ZERO food.

...so figuring out what I would eat was just too much. So I played it safe and didn't anything at all. 

That's such a funny story (if it wasn't for you starving all day and then being mean to your family...  ;) I'm sure they forgive you and we all do too... I actually warned my husband about potential mood swings so he was prepared).  Actually I forgot my lunch on DAY ONE, yes remember me, the one who was harping earlier about the need to plan?  Luckily I was not far from home and went back to get it!.  

Also, it sounds like there are a few of us who might typically skip meals or live with being hungry for hours on end... I think part of my less-than-successful first attempt was that I simply wasn't eating enough (was tired a lot) because when I ran out of all my nicely-stocked first week's supply, I didn't feel like eating what WAS compliant so didn't eat enough of it.  And not enough calories made me more tired, which made me really not feel like cooking.  So: EAT.  And stock up.  I have a few recipes in my bag now to make sure I cook ahead when I'm not exhausted.  I'm going to attempt some freezer meals too.  

Last night I had a fantastic meal planned but then was really tired and didn't have to cook for the family with all the odd schedules, so instead of baking a warm meal that I had really been looking forward to, I grabbed a salad out of a bag and, using your inspiration Susabella, added tuna, avocado, and tomatoes (I forget about tuna as an easily-available protein source even though it's one of the few I like) -- very quick and simple, and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.  I also cooked up some carrots and zucchini and relished all that beautiful bounty!  I am trying to really savor my food at meal time and look for joy in and be grateful for the rest of my day... so I don't have a mindset of "I just need to make it through June"... because my life is going way too fast to think that way!

Happy Day 3 to all!  I will be having mineral water with lime to relax on a Friday evening!

Hi everyone.  I hope you can make room for one more.  Tried the forums a few days ago when I first began but was unable to get an email for confirmation.  Contacted the "help desk"  and they manually got me confirmed.  Love the vibe here and the people.  Have read all your stories. Feels like a good fit.

A little about me - I'm 48 years old and had a total hysterectomy at age 39 (this bit of info is relevant as the hot flashes and night sweats are really ramped up).  I've been an oncology nurse for years.  Susabella - Love your attitude - it's incredibly important and you've most definitely got this!

I had a pretty debilitating injury at the end of March that took me out of work.  As I can not do hospital work for at least another 6 months due to the injury, I have just gotten a job working hospice which I've done in the past and am looking forward to working again.  No paycheck is rough - especially buying healthy expensive food!  

The big one - food has always been an issue for me.  I was thin as a child and through high school.  Early adulthood started gaining weight like crazy.  Many years of yo-yo dieting really hurt my relationship with food further as well as my ability to control weight loss.  I've done everything from the healthy to the unhealthy - bodybuilding, running, Atkins - name it and I've probably done it.  A few years ago I was pre-diabetic, high cholesterol, out of breath walking across the room.  Nevermind trying to take care of patients.  After much soul-searching and research, I had a bariatric surgery.  Really haven't lost a ton of weight.  But enough that I can breathe, exercise and feel much better. I'm still clinically overweight - but no longer obese.  In January I had a partial thyroidectomy due to a large cyst that grew rapidly and couldn't be ruled out as being benign.  I gained a lot of weight in a short period of time.  They were trying to see if my other half would take up the slack.  They finally checked my thyroid levels and put me on medication.  Whew!  The gain stopped.  Okay, slowed.  Since I'm injured, I have not been able to exercise.  Am usually incredibly active.

What's happened is I now need to face my demons - or really dragons, as in sugar dragon.  I was able to work off the bad eating before the injury.  Can't now.  Maybe that's a blessing in disguise.  Forcing me to realize I have really let my healthy eating go.  I've GOT to break free from these poor decisions.  

So, I started on May 31.  So far, so good.  Had headaches yesterday.  Much better today.  Found myself facing the sugar dragon about 1:00 a.m. and thanks to Sugarcube for pointing that out and giving better choices for when that happens than the piece of fruit I grabbed.

Sorry for the book - but felt I had some catching up to do since I just got in here today.  Hope ya'll don't mind my dropping in?

For what it's worth - My coffee with coconut oil blended into an emulsion has been a lifesaver (mainly the lives of my family :) ).  Also, if anyone is struggling with mayo, I have a truly foolproof version in a Paleo book that is my go to.  Throw everything in and blend it up.  I add different stuff for seasoning/flavor.  But the basic recipe is easy peasy.

I used to eat paleo and never should have stopped.  The whole30 makes so much more sense to me as the fake breads, cookies and such in paleo only fuel my sugar dragon.  I hope to adopt the whole30 for a longer period of time.  Have a lot of healing that needs to take place physically and mentally.

Hi everyone.  I hope you can make room for one more.  Tried the forums a few days ago when I first began but was unable to get an email for confirmation.  Contacted the "help desk"  and they manually got me confirmed.  Love the vibe here and the people.  Have read all your stories. Feels like a good fit.

A little about me - I'm 48 years old and had a total hysterectomy at age 39 (this bit of info is relevant as the hot flashes and night sweats are really ramped up).  I've been an oncology nurse for years.  Susabella - Love your attitude - it's incredibly important and you've most definitely got this!

I had a pretty debilitating injury at the end of March that took me out of work.  As I can not do hospital work for at least another 6 months due to the injury, I have just gotten a job working hospice which I've done in the past and am looking forward to working again.  No paycheck is rough - especially buying healthy expensive food!  

The big one - food has always been an issue for me.  I was thin as a child and through high school.  Early adulthood started gaining weight like crazy.  Many years of yo-yo dieting really hurt my relationship with food further as well as my ability to control weight loss.  I've done everything from the healthy to the unhealthy - bodybuilding, running, Atkins - name it and I've probably done it.  A few years ago I was pre-diabetic, high cholesterol, out of breath walking across the room.  Nevermind trying to take care of patients.  After much soul-searching and research, I had a bariatric surgery.  Really haven't lost a ton of weight.  But enough that I can breathe, exercise and feel much better. I'm still clinically overweight - but no longer obese.  In January I had a partial thyroidectomy due to a large cyst that grew rapidly and couldn't be ruled out as being benign.  I gained a lot of weight in a short period of time.  They were trying to see if my other half would take up the slack.  They finally checked my thyroid levels and put me on medication.  Whew!  The gain stopped.  Okay, slowed.  Since I'm injured, I have not been able to exercise.  Am usually incredibly active.

What's happened is I now need to face my demons - or really dragons, as in sugar dragon.  I was able to work off the bad eating before the injury.  Can't now.  Maybe that's a blessing in disguise.  Forcing me to realize I have really let my healthy eating go.  I've GOT to break free from these poor decisions.  

So, I started on May 31.  So far, so good.  Had headaches yesterday.  Much better today.  Found myself facing the sugar dragon about 1:00 a.m. and thanks to Sugarcube for pointing that out and giving better choices for when that happens than the piece of fruit I grabbed.

Sorry for the book - but felt I had some catching up to do since I just got in here today.  Hope ya'll don't mind my dropping in?

For what it's worth - My coffee with coconut oil blended into an emulsion has been a lifesaver (mainly the lives of my family :) ).  Also, if anyone is struggling with mayo, I have a truly foolproof version in a Paleo book that is my go to.  Throw everything in and blend it up.  I add different stuff for seasoning/flavor.  But the basic recipe is easy peasy.

I used to eat paleo and never should have stopped.  The whole30 makes so much more sense to me as the fake breads, cookies and such in paleo only fuel my sugar dragon.  I hope to adopt the whole30 for a longer period of time.  Have a lot of healing that needs to take place physically and mentally.

Hey Gone Girl and sure you're welcome here. 

these roads we travel, wish there were better ways but it seems to always come when we are at our wits end.     crawling for help.  

Sorry to hear of your injury but you can still work and maybe that could be an opening for you that you would not have ventured into had the injury not occured. 

I ran into a hard time today becaus I had a funeral to go to at 10 AM. Well, I didn't have time, yes, I like to sleep, lol.... to fix anything. So I grabed 5 strawberrie and a handfull of almonds and my LaCroix Water. That held me well,  Long service. Fire fighter so they do stuff at funerals.. 

any who. ended up driving myself to Whole foods to hand over a fist full of money only to cover the bottom of the bag:(  

I wanted that Paleo Avocado mayo which someone said they had .. ..not. Not at either of the 2 Whole Foods I have access to..  I really did not want ot have to make this just because, If I can buy it, that's me.. 

so, I guess that means, me and the blender or Vitamix or Ninja are going to have to figure this out. I don't want a boat load to spoil so if there is a reciep for small amounts great..   Does it spoil quickly. 

Found some no sugar, no nitrites, no Nitrates no nothing bacon   and it only has 8 pieces in it. How do they call that a pound? 

so, oh ya, while in whole foods, I could not even find a hot meal to eat without sugar. I swear, i read each thing and sugar, blah  , blah,,,, blah... sugar.. I walked around that table like 3 times and came out with a hard boiled egg,  a scoop of squash and dry tuna....  not very appealing but now I see what i'm used to seeing on my plate is going to look a bit different.. 

Ate it on the way home. Then came home and cooked 2 pieces of this pig I bought,, Must have been a leg...  and the bacon was good..   Also boiled 3 eggs to eat later on..   hope that's okay..    no sit down meal for me cause, I really don't want much else.. 

forgot the avocado for some reason... I sure hope I can find a way to make them taste good..  

Good morning folks!

Congrats susabella on the clean report! I bet that is a huge relief....It sounds like everyone is doing well. I really like this active, positive group. I agree with Christine_ I think the forum is a better fit for me than FB, if nothing else because I don't have time to manage two different discussions and I'd like to be able to be an active participant!!

My win yesterday was finding time to make some mayo, which I ate with taco salad kind of as a sour cream replacer....let me tell you, it was awesome! Homemade mayo + taco meat + tomato + avocado + olives = basically awesome...

I really like SugarcubeOD's tip on fat: the first W30 I did I could not get my head around eating adequate fat-a whole avocado, or lots of coconut oil for frying just felt so weird and 'high calorie"....and as a result I REALLY REALLY struggled with sugar cravings. Once I finally decided to trust the recommendation and made peace with good fats, my cravings dramatically evaporated (caveat here: my PHYSICAL cravings went away. I still really struggle with stress related urges to munch carbs, as a coping mechanism, but I don't have the physical "withdrawal symptoms" I used to deal with). Just a thought as we hit day three and tired/cravings can kick in - delicious fat is your friend!! :)

what scars me with fat is that it will stay on my body..    we've been told so many times, fats not good. now they say get fat..   Still don't understand that. 

Tytbody - I will echo what sugar cube and Stravajunkie have said those fats are so important to help fight hunger and cravings. Don't omit them!!!

Happy Friday Y'All!!!

this I will work on..;)  If I can't get the avocado down what else is a good thumb replacement?  

Here is a link to a failproof easy mayo recipe. No need to let eggs come to room temperature or slow drizzling in the oil that they recommend in the Whole30 book. You do need a hand held blender to make it but I highly recommend giving it a try.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Taco salads sound great....growing up, I always use to mix store bought mayo and ketchup and add it as my dressing to taco salad. I guess that makes a sort of french dressing...it sounds gross but it adds a bit of tartness and creaminess.Now, I can still mimic that but I use ketchup that I make myself (or useTessamaes brand ketchup, found at Target) and ofcourse, I use the mayo recipe above. It is delicious.  So, you can find ways to adapt those recipes that you know and love from your pre-Whole30 life and make them healthy and compliant. Discovering things that work for you is part of this journey, so experiment!

Love the waffle iron idea Crimsann! I'm going to give that a try for sure.

Have a great Day 3!

Back later. 

Kelli

thanks for the link Kelli.  I read through it and ya, I think I can do that..  I used to making soap get to light trace ad I'll watching my own mayonnaise come through..  

can you make a mayonnaise with Avocado?    tomorrow.  LOO. ;)   (light olive oil) 

and if anyone has an apple watch, there is an app called Buy Me a pie.. Fantastic. you have your grocery list with you on your wrist instead of hainvg your iphone out and having to watch that and your purse or your cart... 

• Moderators

what scars me with fat is that it will stay on my body..    we've been told so many times, fats not good. now they say get fat..   Still don't understand that. 

Fat does not make you fat... refines sugar, refined carbs and junk food make you fat.  Fat is a necessary component of good brain health and helps with satiety and feeling satisfied.

For the mayo, do you have an immersion blender?  If so, 1 1/3 cup of light oil (light olive oil, avocado), 1/2 teaspoon each ground mustard and salt, 2 tablespoons of acid (acv, white vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice) and on egg.  Throw it all in a widemouth pint mason jar, put the blender in the bottom and turn it on... leave in the bottom for a few seconds and when you see the emulsion start, slowly pull the blender up toward the top of the jar... it takes maaaaaybe 20 seconds... I've never had a fail this way and you don't have to bring everything to room temp.

• Moderators

this I will work on.. ;)  If I can't get the avocado down what else is a good thumb replacement?  

If it's avocado, you're eating half to a whole, not a thumb sized amount.  Thumb size is for mayo, oils... 

you can use ghee, mayo, mayo based dressings, pesto, olives, olive products, any animal fat... guacamole is a good way to eat avocado if you don't like the taste/texture of plain avo.

gonegirl, so glad you joined us!  There's always room for more.   

tytbodyin30, good job navigating the day away from home and searching for something suitable when you expected more choices!  Walking through all the cookies on my way to get black coffee at Whole Foods is no fun.  I refuse to do it anymore. 

Check out this funny article - so where is everyone in these stages? -- http://whole30.com/2012/01/the-five-stages-of-food-grief/

Fat does not make you fat... refines sugar, refined carbs and junk food make you fat.  Fat is a necessary component of good brain health and helps with satiety and feeling satisfied.

For the mayo, do you have an immersion blender?  If so, 1 1/3 cup of light oil (light olive oil, avocado), 1/2 teaspoon each ground mustard and salt, 2 tablespoons of acid (acv, white vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice) and on egg.  Throw it all in a widemouth pint mason jar, put the blender in the bottom and turn it on... leave in the bottom for a few seconds and when you see the emulsion start, slowly pull the blender up toward the top of the jar... it takes maaaaaybe 20 seconds... I've never had a fail this way and you don't have to bring everything to room temp.

thank you Sugar..   I want to try with avocado oil.   how long will these little jars last?  what's the expiration date ?   

If it's avocado, you're eating half to a whole, not a thumb sized amount.  Thumb size is for mayo, oils... 

you can use ghee, mayo, mayo based dressings, pesto, olives, olive products, any animal fat... guacamole is a good way to eat avocado if you don't like the taste/texture of plain avo.

I do love Guacamole. I had from the Mexicans direct when we went to mexico. Now when I come back, I can tell the difference. 

thank you.;)  I swear, this place has the best help you can trust.. 

Hey Gone Girl and sure you're welcome here. 

these roads we travel, wish there were better ways but it seems to always come when we are at our wits end.     crawling for help.  

Sorry to hear of your injury but you can still work and maybe that could be an opening for you that you would not have ventured into had the injury not occured. 

I ran into a hard time today becaus I had a funeral to go to at 10 AM. Well, I didn't have time, yes, I like to sleep, lol.... to fix anything. So I grabed 5 strawberrie and a handfull of almonds and my LaCroix Water. That held me well,  Long service. Fire fighter so they do stuff at funerals.. 

any who. ended up driving myself to Whole foods to hand over a fist full of money only to cover the bottom of the bag:(  

I wanted that Paleo Avocado mayo which someone said they had .. ..not. Not at either of the 2 Whole Foods I have access to..  I really did not want ot have to make this just because, If I can buy it, that's me.. 

so, I guess that means, me and the blender or Vitamix or Ninja are going to have to figure this out. I don't want a boat load to spoil so if there is a reciep for small amounts great..   Does it spoil quickly. 

Found some no sugar, no nitrites, no Nitrates no nothing bacon   and it only has 8 pieces in it. How do they call that a pound? 

so, oh ya, while in whole foods, I could not even find a hot meal to eat without sugar. I swear, i read each thing and sugar, blah  , blah,,,, blah... sugar.. I walked around that table like 3 times and came out with a hard boiled egg,  a scoop of squash and dry tuna....  not very appealing but now I see what i'm used to seeing on my plate is going to look a bit different.. 

Ate it on the way home. Then came home and cooked 2 pieces of this pig I bought,, Must have been a leg...  and the bacon was good..   Also boiled 3 eggs to eat later on..   hope that's okay..    no sit down meal for me cause, I really don't want much else.. 

forgot the avocado for some reason... I sure hope I can find a way to make them taste good..  

Thank you for the welcome!  I can't go to whole foods.  Feel guilty spending that much!  We have a garden where we are pulling tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, bell and jalapeno peppers and eggplant right now.  My chickens keep us well stocked with eggs.  Getting cows soon for meat.  My avatar, those are blueberry bushes in the background. Loving the country life!  BTW, really good job on the winging it!  Sorry for the loss.

Oh, and as to the injury, I do think it was a blessing in disguise.  I have worked hospice in the past and love it.  I think it was past time for me to get back to it.

You know, that was a big one for me.  I did paleo for a couple years before I fell off the wagon.  I have to say, I know fat is good.  I cook with pure lard most of the time, by the way! I think fats have gotten a bad rap for a long time. I truly believe it's the processed stuff we eat and all the simple sugars.

thanks for the link Kelli.  I read through it and ya, I think I can do that..  I used to making soap get to light trace ad I'll watching my own mayonnaise come through..  

and if anyone has an apple watch, there is an app called Buy Me a pie.. Fantastic. you have your grocery list with you on your wrist instead of hainvg your iphone out and having to watch that and your purse or your cart... 

I used to make soap.  Miss it.  Want to start back!  I have an apple watch.  Have to look that app up.  There is one called ListEase that is good too.

I do love Guacamole. I had from the Mexicans direct when we went to mexico. Now when I come back, I can tell the difference. 

thank you. ;)  I swear, this place has the best help you can trust.. 

My mom had Guacamole in Mexico many, many years ago.  We have a Mexican restaurant locally where the owner is actually from Mexico.  My mom said that was the most authentic guacamole she'd ever had since her trip.  I don't measure, but I did recreate it with some help from the owner.  Bascially with the avocado, some finely chopped onion, tomato (just a little of these), cumin, lemon or lime juice, a bit of salt.  Now the kicker is they use sour cream swirled in.  I'll use homemade mayo.  A little different but still yummy

gonegirl, so glad you joined us!  There's always room for more.   

tytbodyin30, good job navigating the day away from home and searching for something suitable when you expected more choices!  Walking through all the cookies on my way to get black coffee at Whole Foods is no fun.  I refuse to do it anymore. 

Check out this funny article - so where is everyone in these stages? -- http://whole30.com/2012/01/the-five-stages-of-food-grief/

Thank you!!!

for those that drink Coffee doesn't it sill keep you up and wired? 

I can drink a cup of coffee and roll over and go to sleep.  Truly.  Love my coffee too.

Just boiled two dozen eggs to have some ready for emergency snack and some to make deviled eggs.  Also did a big pan of cauliflower rice that I like to put my pot roast and veggies over.  Boiled up my mushrooms in salted water to throw into eggs or anything.  Love mushrooms and could eat them every meal.  AND I got 8 pounds of chicken thighs and drums for cheap. Doing half in the crockpot and half in the oven.  

It's official I start my new job on Monday!  Just got the call.  Want lots of stuff cooked and ready to take with me.  Found a bento box online that looks awesome to keep temptation away from drive through while I'm out on the road.

for those that drink Coffee doesn't it sill keep you up and wired? 

It doesn't for me, but then I am used to having coffee later in the day.  I am not changing my coffee habits of when I drink it, just that I drink it black now.  I think if you do what you usually do and eat full meals you should be fine.  If you are adding coffee because your drinks are now limited then that could get you in trouble.  Drink decaf (I think it is allowed) as long as it the decaf process for the beans used is the water process.  No chemicals.  Or drink herbal teas.  I have had no trouble sleeping so this works for me.  I hope that helps tybodyin30!

• Moderators

thank you Sugar..   I want to try with avocado oil.   how long will these little jars last?  what's the expiration date ?   

They'll last at least as long as the expiry on the eggs... trust me, it will not last that long!

Not me Gongirll. I don't think I like sauerkraut.  

so real guac has sour cream in it?  who kept taking good food and messing with it?  lol 

Gonegirl - just looked at your app and that is cool. the bar code. but you gotta think, how much of our food is going to be on *bar code?* eh??? 

It doesn't for me, but then I am used to having coffee later in the day.  I am not changing my coffee habits of when I drink it, just that I drink it black now.  I think if you do what you usually do and eat full meals you should be fine.  If you are adding coffee because your drinks are now limited then that could get you in trouble.  Drink decaf (I think it is allowed) as long as it the decaf process for the beans used is the water process.  No chemicals.  Or drink herbal teas.  I have had no trouble sleeping so this works for me.  I hope that helps tybodyin30!

hey big momma. I'm not a coffee drinker and the thought of putting Ghee in there made me think, hum would it taste good..lol..  but I'll stay away from it..  don't want to bring that habit in for later on for me..   I'll stick with LaCroix and water. 

thank you BigMomma 

Not me Gongirll. I don't think I like sauerkraut.  

so real guac has sour cream in it?  who kept taking good food and messing with it?  lol 

Gonegirl - just looked at your app and that is cool. the bar code. but you gotta think, how much of our food is going to be on *bar code?* eh??? 

Yeah, people either love or hate sauerkraut.  I'm the only one that eats it and they all run out of the room at the smell!  LOL It admittedly has a noxious smell, but tastes so darn good!

I have to say, the mayo in the guac does beautifully.

I've never used the barcode on that app.  Actually didn't know it had that on it!  LOL  SMH

Archived