Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Gonegirl, your country living and garden sound heavenly!  We have a small back yard, and I'm inconsistent with maintaining plants, but my jalapeno pepper, Anaheim pepper, red bell pepper, and basil plants have managed to survive in spite of my negligence.  Also the grapefruit, lemon, and orange trees need no attention.  It's so fun to run out and get ingredients while I'm making dinner.

Just a quick tip:  when quoting it's possible to delete parts of the quote not related to the reply (click on Quote, then after the quote shows up, click inside and erase).  

Tytbodyin30, love your morning newspaper, ha!  Let us know how to do the multiquote when you figure it out, although I like Susabella's method of just commenting without quotes too, when it makes sense!  

I was wondering about the whey too.  From what I've seen, it's not allowed for W30, but here are a couple of discussions I found:

http://whole30.com/2014/01/perfect-whole30/

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/23674-whey-for-lacto-fermention-heavy-cream-oral-hygeine-products/?hl=whey   

I figured out I'm a bit sensitive to eggs which were going to be one of my main sources of protein this month because I love them (and even organic ones are an inexpensive protein)!  I could probably still have some every now and then, but since they are causing a histamine response / inflammation, and my goal here is to reduce inflammation, I'm going to avoid them completely for the rest of the W30.                

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, stravajunkie and Susabella, all the tea talk and recommendations (thanks!) awhile back got me thinking... I used to LOVE both 1) Good Earth Sweet and Spicy decaf and 2)Yogi loose leaf original spice tea because they both had a tasty sweet flavor without being bitter, but I haven't seen either of them lately so did a little research.  Good Earth has made some changes, but I'm going to look for the organic version with no added flavoring and see how it is.  I don't think Yogi original is available, but I did find the following recipe (a bit of work, but if it's like I remember, totally worth it), and I think I can find most of these ingredients at a local grocer that carries organic spices in bulk (I love bulk spices - I can make almost any recipe, and then if I don't like it, I don't have all this extra spice I don't know what to do with).    https://www.yogiproducts.com/our-philosophy/our-story/ (recipe half-way down page)

My current favorite tea is Tazo orange spice - very flavorful and not bitter.  I hate bitter tea.  

Samnkelli, yesterday was a hot day, and I made your frothy blender coffee, only I made it iced and with cashew milk.  I can't say it was exactly what my brain was hoping for, but I sipped on it awhile, and surprisingly the second half started tasting pretty good!  

Have a great weekend, everyone!   

Hit the not entirely unexpected headache stage today, so far not too bad and with the rainy weather I may just nap it off if a bit of coffee doesn't help. 

I will say I do feel blessed that I simply adore black coffee.  (ducks behind something before things get thrown, sorry guys!)  I think if you aren't an avid black coffee drinker and you think you don't like it, it might be the coffee you've tried to drink that way?  Since I have nearly always drank mine black, I'm maybe more aware how very different coffee tastes depending on the roast.  I always tell anyone wanting to venture in to this area to try blonde or honey roast coffees.  With darker roasts what you are tasting isn't stronger coffee, it's the coffee with a bit (or a lot!) of burn.  Similar to how caramelizing onions significantly changes the taste (though in a good way) roasting coffee different ways makes a big difference.  You don't have to have the finely tuned taste buds of a wine snob to notice the differences without the milk or cream or sugar to cover the taste.  Blonde roasts are more gently toasted coffee beans.  If you have ever toasted/roasted your own nuts and it went wrong you will have a better appreciation for the difference between a toasted nut and a burned one!  Lots of people love that dark flavor in coffee, and I do as well when I'm in the mood, but a toasted coffee is so much more mild and sweet that it makes a much better starting point for people transitioning to drinking coffee black.  Honey roast is harder to find, but it involves roasting the coffee bean with some of the coffee cherry still intact.  So amazing! 

My water infusion "recipe" for the day?  Mandarin oranges and Earl Grey tea. 

I've been wanting to do carrots.  I actually shred carrots and put in my sauerkraut for color as well as taste and texture.  So when you put the carrots in with the small amount of whey, there is no liquid covering the carrots?  I like using whey for my kraut as it speeds up the process so much and helps prevent contaminants. Appreciate your input!

Yes, sorry, I forgot to say add water! :P And I usually add whey for the same reasons you mentioned - speeds up the process, and prevents contaminations. But I've made the carrots a few times when I didn't have any whey on hand, with just salt, dill, and water, and they turned out just fine. What kind of seasonings do you add to your kraut? I've only used dill and caraway seeds, but I had some kraut from Wholefoods (I forget the brand name - Wild something?) that was a curry flavor and man it was delicious! I was thinking of trying to replicate it, mainly because the tiny jar from Wholefoods was almost $10!! Have you ever tried something like that?

Happy Day 4 everybody! So, uggghhhhhhhh I hit the wall today. :( I'm having one of those "I HATE ALL THE THINGS" days. I know it will pass, and I just need to keep my mouth shut, head down, move forward, but gaaahhhhhh! HATE.

Reading the comments I saw a few questions about the addition of whey to fermented stuff, and YES, you are correct, whey is not allowed, which is why I mentioned that you can make them without whey. The whey just jump-starts the fermentation process and provides an additional guard against the growth of "bad bacteria" - I think of it as hedging my bets. :) But it's totally possible to make most ferments with no whey at all. If you are at all interested in lactofermenting I seriously advise you to go for it! I make mine in quart sized mason jars, but you could even use pints, so no huge loss if it doesn't turn out well. Just wash your veggies, put them in the jar, add whatever spices you like (dill, peppercorns, garlic, mustard, curry - seriously, anything goes!), add about a teaspoon of salt (a little more if you are using a larger container), fill with enough water to make sure the veggies a submerged, cover loosely (nothing too tight - remember those good bacteria are about to start making gases! The main reason for covering is to make sure nothing gets IN, so you can use a paper towel and a rubber band if you want) and let it sit in a shady spot for a day or two. Then start taste testing. When you like the taste, pop it in the fridge. It will keep pretty much forever! If it ever smells weird or tastes funky, pitch it. Easy peasy.

JT and Crimsann Misery loves company!!  I am starting to feel like I want to crawl into bed and it's only dinner time. Felt great this morning, but spent most of the day in my flower gardens so I'm not sure if it's the heat, the fact that I probably worked harder then I have since before chemo and radiation, or most likely just a combination of all things. I did take it slow and stayed very hydrated but I just have a general feeling of yuck right now.Hope this feeling passes quick for all of us!!

Hey all, I am late to pop in. This is my 2nd whole 30 this year and I am making this one a whole 60 actually. I will take the time to read through everything, on both - I see there are 2 June 1st posts that are pretty happening.

Hi, I started my first whole 30 on June 1st! Sorry I'm late getting on the forum! It's been hard for me so far, but I'm taking ithe one day at a time! I'm feeling tired and bloated today and wondering if I'm eating too much food. I try to really fill myself up so I can make it to next meal.

I hope everyone had a great Day 4 so far.  So far it has been pretty good day for me.  I had no snacks so I know that I am eating enough.  Work was crazy busy today so that helped also.  For dinner everyone had burgers, I just had mine without the bun.  I have to say that my mood is much improved and I feel like a lost all the belly bloat.  If you all knew what I was eating before...yikes.  Plus I haven't eaten breakfast since I went to college (except when I was pregnant).  I am talking like over 20 years.  I am sure that I will have my rough spots especially because of where I work and what I do at work.  I hope everyone has a great Sunday Funday!

Hi all. Welcome new people. 

Sounds like we are experiencing a wide range of stuff....tired, bloated, not bloated, headaches, energetic, etc. Your bodies are doing good things, dont be discouraged.

Crimsann, coffee afficianado!. Love that little lesson about roasting and flavors!  Before whole30, i was using so much flavored cream in my coffee, I couldnt even taste the coffee itself! Now, while I do love the ghee with almond milk in my coffee, I bought a new Whole30 approved creamer called NUTPODS and it arrived today. It is unsweetened vanilla coconut cream + almond milk. I took a sip right out of the carton and it tastes lovely. When added to my coffee, it wasnt as rich tasting as the frothy ghee coffee but it is good. :)

Earoti, welcome. Maybe give a sample of what you are eating in a day so a moderator/others can chime in about the amounts, and offer advice, etc. Bloating is no fun but I do not believe it is out of the ordinary. 

Any great recipes on the menu next week you want to share?  My hubby is making tri-tip on the smoker tomorrow, I cant wait to have it with garlic butter, roasted romaine with caesar dressing and a big potato with ghee!!  

Have you been pinning recipes from Pinterest? So many recipes there, it will make your head spin. 

Happy Saturday night guys!

Kelli

If you don't mind the wait get it from Walmart. Only 3.99. /12

At that price, I may have to try it.  I haven't had time to attempt my experiment.

I thought we can't eat whey ?

To be honest, it didn't occur to me when I ate my sauerkraut.  Then I thought about the minute amount in it and the benefits of receiving my probiotics and I decided to not beat myself up about it.  To say that kefir and real sauerkraut have been life changing to me is not an understatement.  I've given up kefir, and I can tell a huge difference (many bathroom trips). The sauerkraut helps. Some of my sauerkraut does not have whey.  But I honestly don't know which jar has it and which jar doesn't at this point.  I got them to the point of ferment I wanted and stuck them in the fridge.  I just grab one and have a few bites prior to every meal and it keeps me  from full on can't leave the house mode.   :wacko:

Gonegirl, your country living and garden sound heavenly!  We have a small back yard, and I'm inconsistent with maintaining plants, but my jalapeno pepper, Anaheim pepper, red bell pepper, and basil plants have managed to survive in spite of my negligence.  Also the grapefruit, lemon, and orange trees need no attention.  It's so fun to run out and get ingredients while I'm making dinner.

I was wondering about the whey too.  From what I've seen, it's not allowed for W30, but here are a couple of discussions I found:

http://whole30.com/2014/01/perfect-whole30/

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/23674-whey-for-lacto-fermention-heavy-cream-oral-hygeine-products/?hl=whey   

Love it here.  We have a couple lemon.  Would love orange.  And I have a swamp grapefruit we planted last year, but no grapefruit - yet! I have lots of herbs and I very much love snipping what I need to use in cooking.  We have some by the back door and I have more over by our bees.  And oh, I cannot wait to be able to have honey again!  Checking out the whey.  But as stated above, I may have to decide to risk it.  It's that much of a help to me.  It's like medicine.

Yes, sorry, I forgot to say add water! :P And I usually add whey for the same reasons you mentioned - speeds up the process, and prevents contaminations. But I've made the carrots a few times when I didn't have any whey on hand, with just salt, dill, and water, and they turned out just fine. What kind of seasonings do you add to your kraut? I've only used dill and caraway seeds, but I had some kraut from Wholefoods (I forget the brand name - Wild something?) that was a curry flavor and man it was delicious! I was thinking of trying to replicate it, mainly because the tiny jar from Wholefoods was almost $10!! Have you ever tried something like that?

I have only added caraway seeds once.  Didn't care for it enough to add it.  May add dill to some I just started yesterday.  Well, to one of the jars anyway.  Have plenty of fresh dill growing.  And I'm a fool for that spice! May look into the curry.  Sounds very interesting.  Will definitely try the carrots.  I put shredded carrots in my kraut and I fish them out to eat!  LOL  I almost always have whey now.  Started drinking kefir many months ago and it has truly been a huge benefit for me.  I'm going without it now but can tell a big difference.  The kraut helps!

If you are at all interested in lactofermenting I seriously advise you to go for it! I make mine in quart sized mason jars, but you could even use pints, so no huge loss if it doesn't turn out well. Just wash your veggies, put them in the jar, add whatever spices you like (dill, peppercorns, garlic, mustard, curry - seriously, anything goes!), add about a teaspoon of salt (a little more if you are using a larger container), fill with enough water to make sure the veggies a submerged, cover loosely (nothing too tight - remember those good bacteria are about to start making gases! The main reason for covering is to make sure nothing gets IN, so you can use a paper towel and a rubber band if you want) and let it sit in a shady spot for a day or two. Then start taste testing. When you like the taste, pop it in the fridge. It will keep pretty much forever! If it ever smells weird or tastes funky, pitch it. Easy peasy.

I love fermenting!  Want to try squash just to see what happens.  It's coming out of our ears now anyway.   :P  For my kraut, I actually put it in a large bowl, sprinkle the salt in and squish it in my hands  until it starts to soften.  Much of the water comes out of the cabbage and I rarely have to add water.  I pack it into half gallon mason jars (i'm a bit of an enthusiast) and I actually use plastic bags that I put into the mouth of the jar, with the top of the bag folded over the rim of the glass.  Then I put water into the baggie.  It keeps it all covered, submerged and anaerobic but allows the gases to escape without me remembering to "burp" it.  And ditto - anything unusual - especially pink slime or mold - toss it! 

Sheesh!  Spent all day cleaning and didn't check the boards til now.  won't let that happen again!  Too much catching up.  

Hope everyone has a lovely remainder of their weekend.  If it clears up (raining now) heading for one last beach trip before I go back to work for the first time since I was injured in March!

Oops my food from yesterday is on the next post:

Earoti, welcome. Maybe give a sample of what you are eating in a day so a moderator/others can chime in about the amounts, and offer advice, etc. Bloating is no fun but I do not believe it is out of the ordinary.

My food yesterday:

B: Sweet potatoe hash, 2 eggs, 1/4 avocado

L: turkey lunch meat wraps filled with baby spinach, avocado, prosciutto, and orange peppers, with a cup of strawberries on the side

D: burger patty with lettuce, onion, and roasted veggies on the side, also mango on the side

I also drink a lot of sparkling water throughout the day, maybe the bloating is from that? I used to drink a good amount of alcohol so the sparkling water is a good replacement for me.

Woke up with the headache in full on "screaming banshee" mode...but also realized I'm in PMS mode at the same time so hard to know which to point fingers at first.  Got some breakfast in, tried the waffle hash and it was edible without really totally wowing me but I may try another combination at some point.  I think it needed something more fatty than chicken sausage as it ended up being rather dry.  Still, filling enough to get me through the rest of the food prep I needed to for the week and laundry is started so I can kick up my feet for a bit.  Headache has eased off and I'm hoping I've mostly turned the corner by tomorrow.

Oh.  Really.  Hoping.  As it's not only Monday, and packed with meetings, and short-staffed, it's capped off with a two-hour session with our entire department where we explore our personality types and how to work better with each other.  As my test already came back and sort of politely told me I would prefer not to work with people at all, I'm not sure that is something that should be explored under "kill all the things" conditions. 

So, this may be just a tease for the kraut obsessed among us because it's really, really local...but it maybe fun for you to look over their products and get some ideas of combinations to try.  I've had one or two of these in the past and they were really fantastic.  http://fermentedkrazykraut.com/  I know I looked once before and it was pretty hard to get them short of living in the area they sell to, but the products page lists ingredients and might inspire you!

Dreaming of food?!

I saw that on the Timeline and thought, "oh how funny, I don't usually remember my dreams, so that won't happen to me." But this morning it did! I woke up early, realized its Sunday and went back to sleep and dreamed of baking up a huge batch of cinnamon buns - wow! I even had a "boy, I'm tempted to eat that" talk in my dream - and didn't eat them in my dream which is good. But what a funny thing! I haven't had a cinnamon roll for ages!

I did go through a head ache stage on like Day 3 I think it was, and if I don't eat enough, I get a little headache too. I have been bothered with what seems like "hungries" at 3:30p each day. I'm trying to make my lunches a little larger to see if that will do the trick.

I have a pork roast in the crock pot today I'm looking forward to making a Mexican salad out of this evening, and then using leftovers for meals in the next couple of days.

Hope you all are having a blessed Sunday!

Hey all, hope everyone is having a good Sunday! I'm still in HATE ALL THE THINGS mode, really hoping this is going to pass soon. I'm holed up in my bedroom so I don't take it out on my family. I'm just so TIRED. and HUNGRY. but too tired to cook. but hungry.  Today is a whole lot of SUCK. But I want to thank you all for your posts because just reading them really does make me feel better, and like I'm not totally alone and crazy for trying to do this.

I actually use plastic bags that I put into the mouth of the jar, with the top of the bag folded over the rim of the glass.  Then I put water into the baggie.  It keeps it all covered, submerged and anaerobic but allows the gases to escape without me remembering to "burp" it. 

That is GENIUS! I am totally trying that the next time!

BTW, JTCarlson, how much dill do you add?  I like a good strong dill flavor anywhere it's complementary.

Gonegirl - I love dill, so I usually add a bunch of dill seed (maybe a tablespoon for a quart jar) and about 2 tablespoons of dried dill, and of course if I can get my hands on fresh dill I'll throw a big fistful in, in place of the dried dill weed.

As my test already came back and sort of politely told me I would prefer not to work with people at all, I'm not sure that is something that should be explored under "kill all the things" conditions. 

Crimsamm - BAHAHAHAHAHA!! Thank you for that laugh - I sincerely needed it today!!

Alright, I gotta leave my house now to watch my daughters in their play. I'm going to sit in the back and not talk to anyone. Wish me luck. (Ohmygod I just typed "wish me lunch". I am seriously losing my mind.)

Hi Everyone, 

Happy Sunday and Great Big Victory for me.. 

I'm a bread eater. Especially out at Restarurants.. 

Today. My girlfriend and I went out to eat after Church.. I said this is going to be hard for me because I've just started my new eating program..  

I get in the reasturant and look at the menue and i should have taken a picture of the menue. Not much to choose from but I want to say, I am learning for a newbie.. 

I chose the hamburg with French Fries and Avocado and water. 

My girlfriend had ,,,, I'm just not going to repeat it because it was so not on plan.  

I didn't ask for a taste, I for went the hot bread and didn't have anything but water and lemon to drink.

When I say TEST.  This was it.. .  

I'm shocked.  but I made it.  This to me is a big victory and I thank God for my choices..

I chose the avocado because I never had it before unless it was in guac.. Well, I did buy 3 avocados and I don't think I"m afraid of them any more. 

so now, tell me if this is a meal. 

2 boiled eggs

1/4 avocado and some strawberries or  kiwi? 

cause that's what will be my meal #3  if it's compliant. 

I wait to hear your reply.. Please don't make me wait until tomorrow to eat again..... lol  :D

Anyone experiencing acne breakouts??? I usually have great skin and rarely get pimples, but I've got them all over today! Totally sucks and hope it goes away. Doesn't look very professional!

How do you get acne so fast?     there has to be something else cause that makes no sense to me. 

Oh.  Really.  Hoping.  As it's not only Monday, and packed with meetings, and short-staffed, it's capped off with a two-hour session with our entire department where we explore our personality types and how to work better with each other.  As my test already came back and sort of politely told me I would prefer not to work with people at all, I'm not sure that is something that should be explored under "kill all the things" conditions. 

I feel for you.. You seem to be having a heck of a time with this program.. 

I must be doing something incorrect because I have not had any headaches or been tired...????? 

maybe I'm not eating enough food....       

I'm not bloated. 

I don't have indigestion

I'm not a biatchi..     

maybe I better post what I've eaten to see if I'm not eating enough because..  the only thing that has changed is I'm actually dreaming and today I said something in my sleep and I thought I would remember when it came time to check in and i can't remember it..  ???  aggghh.. that's it.. 

so now, tell me if this is a meal. 

2 boiled eggs

1/4 avocado and some strawberries or  kiwi? 

cause that's what will be my meal #3  if it's compliant. 

I wait to hear your reply.. Please don't make me wait until tomorrow to eat again..... lol  :D

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on that victory! That sounds like a really big WIN for you!! I don't know if I could have done the same - especially not today. ;)

Second, the only thing I would change about the meal you posted is 1) up the portion of avocado to at least 1/2 - you need those good fats!, and 2) add in some veggies - remember, the avocado counts as a fat, not a vegetable. But otherwise it looks yummy!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on that victory! That sounds like a really big WIN for you!! I don't know if I could have done the same - especially not today. ;)

Second, the only thing I would change about the meal you posted is 1) up the portion of avocado to at least 1/2 - you need those good fats!, and 2) add in some veggies - remember, the avocado counts as a fat, not a vegetable. But otherwise it looks yummy!

thank you . this truly was a big victory because I like wine..  and to sit across from someone eating.  I'll say it now.... chicken parm with pasta and that salad with the cheese on it. what do they call it???// Caesar  that's it.

okay so If i have tomato does that count as a veggie? 

Archived