Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Tytbodyin30, don't beat yourself up over it!  Re-read the rules if you need to. Read Its Starts With Food if you havent already. Im with everyone else....keep going with this group but just add the extra days on the end!

Im still in Kill All Things mode. Headache all weekend but gone now, thank god. I didnt have a headache at all during my first W30. My mind is clearing of the brain fog which is one thing I was totally looking forward to and I'm planning projects and making lists of things to do. My poor husband doesnt know what is coming. :)

Glad the fool proof mayo was a hit! It really is  that good...I've made the caesar dressing too with the mayo as the base. Tons of other options for dressings from the mayo too. 

La Croix is on sale at Costco.  24 pack for $5.99.  

More later :)

Kelli

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The meal you listed, while 100% compliant is not enough food for an adult human. It's an indication your hormones are off if you get full after two eggs and a blob of avocado. The recommendation is to make a template meal and if you can't finish it, wrap it up and eat from it as soon as you are able. Don't wait to feel hungry. In this case I would suggest leaving off the fruit and replacing with veggies until you can get a full template meal down.

they probably are. I"m in or done or something in Menopause.. having that ovary removed June 22..   and as the book said, my hormones are off because I'm not eating correctly also..;( b

Tytbodyin30 - here is a quote from "how to do the perfect whole30'

So that being said you can certainly continue on if you choose.  Maybe reread the rules and know that you cannot eat a burger with bun or commercial french fries.  

Keep going maybe add 4 days at the end when it will be easier then you will be even!   Feel good about what you have accomplished and your gallant efforts.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/01/perfect-whole30/#sthash.aDtZntsr.dpuf

i didn't eat the bun..  I will add on more days.  due to my own ignorance..  I have not read *it starts with food* but I did buy it from iBooks 

Tytbodyin30 -- since you are already part of this group and we love your posts (and LoriJJ's reference was helpful!), I might suggest that you continue on here, and if you REALLY feel the need to start over, then just call tomorrow Day 6 out of 36 (instead of Day 6 out of 30) and see how you are feeling on Day 30, 31, or 32. I've started over twice now, but my choices were not accidental or even just one little cheat, and even with my intentional off-plan choices, it was no picnic going back to "Day 1" mentally and finding a new group. (But I'm super glad I found this one!!) You've been trying really hard, so give yourself credit and keep on going (with us we hope)!

Hi Christine, Thank you. I am going to stay. I felt so bad last night.  Stomach and the darn fries. 

I totally get this. I've been in your "shoes" before...complete with frustrations and higher anxiety/depression of frustrations over not doing Whole 30 perfectly. I'm still not perfect, but I'm learning. 

I'm just a nobody here butting my nose in, but I sure enjoyed reading your posts and I hope you'll stick with this thread. 

Besides I'm pretty sure we're all learning how to work Whole 30 into our lives. :)

it is total frustration.  but today.  I will do better.  that was my first day out in a restaurant trying to pick and choose..  I think also it's my fault because I did not read *it starts with food*  

Poor girl sounds SO frustrated.  

I have a lifetime of starting and stopping and on plans and off plans, etc.  You have to learn to pick yourself up and dust yourself off, laugh at yourself and move on.  It's in the past.

In the book it even says "you are an adult, we say you should start over, but you ultimately make the decision"....that isn't a direct quote, but it's the gist of what they're saying.  So, you messed up...and I don't even think you messed up as bad as some have. At all.  I have been known to blow diets with an entire cake in one sitting...on purpose.  eh, whatever, I did it, it's done...moving on.  

MOVE FORWARD.  Stop looking back.  Seriously, this will help you in every part of life.  YOU GOT THIS!!!

I will.. thank you;)  

Hi There;

For people who have had bariatric surgery, the recommendations are the same but slightly different... We still want you to eat as much in a day as three template meals but understand that capacity is a significant player here and as such, suggest that you break those three template meals into smaller more frequent portions.

For people who have not had bariatric surgery (and I don't recall seeing Tytbody saying she has), then the recommendation is to eat a full template meal three times a day with the intent to get 4-5 hours between meals.  Not being able to eat the minimum template recommendations is usually a sign of hormones being out of whack and as such, we suggest that people plate up a template meal, eat as much as they can and then wrap it up and eat from it again as soon as they're able (not waiting to feel hungry).  Yes, there are outliers to this recommendation but for 99.9% of people with standard digestion capacity, this is the recommendation and following it will adjust hormones and hunger/satiation signals will start to figure themselves out.

how do people do this who don't work day shift. 

I feel it is hard for them to also get in 3 meals per day but just my thinking.. I ate that last meal when I came home or I'll call it last food and had a horrible night. could not get to sleep because it was so late...     i'm not doing it again.....  I'm talking past 2:30 AM i'm sitting in bed reading It Starts With Food..  totally disgusted with myself.. 

I took a good walk today. and it's sunny out and I just don't know what to say. I'm going forward. because I did try and labored under incorrect knowledge..  Whole 35 will be me.:)    

Tytbodyin30, don't beat yourself up over it!  Re-read the rules if you need to. Read Its Starts With Food if you havent already. Im with everyone else....keep going with this group but just add the extra days on the end!

Im still in Kill All Things mode. Headache all weekend but gone now, thank god. I didnt have a headache at all during my first W30. My mind is clearing of the brain fog which is one thing I was totally looking forward to and I'm planning projects and making lists of things to do. My poor husband doesnt know what is coming. :)

Glad the fool proof mayo was a hit! It really is  that good...I've made the caesar dressing too with the mayo as the base. Tons of other options for dressings from the mayo too. 

La Croix is on sale at Costco.  24 pack for $5.99.  

More later :)

Kelli

what a great price..  those clubs always have something at a great price. May not be all the time but when they do.. You sure do win:) 

• Moderators

how do people do this who don't work day shift. 

I feel it is hard for them to also get in 3 meals per day but just my thinking.. I ate that last meal when I came home or I'll call it last food and had a horrible night. could not get to sleep because it was so late...     i'm not doing it again.....  I'm talking past 2:30 AM i'm sitting in bed reading It Starts With Food..  totally disgusted with myself.. 

I took a good walk today. and it's sunny out and I just don't know what to say. I'm going forward. because I did try and labored under incorrect knowledge..  Whole 35 will be me. :)    

Do you work night shift?  It can be more difficult to manage meal times, but really, night shift is just the backwards of day shift so everything should be generally the same but with the am and pm mixed up... 

no I don't,, there I go again asking about someone else's lane... lol   my husband works 2nd shift and he's a police officer..   totally not a cool thing for me.. stress. and late nights when he gets home.. I used to work 2nd shift 5 years ago and now I'm still not used to going to bed or waking up like a day person..     I don't know why but I have to make the best of what time I do have awake which is always after 9 am and i've been trying to get to sleep before 11 or buy 11 to get the 8 hours so I can get up. .still not working..  

I got lot of stress at this time and I take trazodone to go to sleep..    it's not a nice thing trying to fix myself so I won't have to take medication for sleep and anxiety.. 

Wow! I missed a lot this weekend!!

Tytbodyin30, I AM SO GLAD YOU'RE STILL HERE! Rock on! It's so hard not to give up when you disappoint yourself. What a victory to keep moving and not lose all your momentum! I hope to emulate you :)

Crimsann, I'm still grinning about the "basically your personality doesn't like to work with people"... or whatever it was exactly...we may share that personality trait!

Welcome to all the new people! This is a super active thread and I personally find it really helpful.

We had a very busy weekend with a lot of social stuff (which with a large family is pretty chaotic), and my big takeaway was how much these eating parameters helped to me enjoy the people, instead of being focused on the food because my natural habit is to hide from stress in food. Having removed that crutch, I was able to sip (black) coffee, visit, probably munch a bit too much on nuts and fruit, but for the most part, I came out of it feeling like I behaved like an adult-and without the carb overload hangover that I'm used to. All that being said, IT WAS REALLY HARD. Habits bite- or at least the wrong ones do.

I think I'm onto something with the idea of identifying the trigger (in this case social stress) and the craving (CARBS! NOW!) and then sloooowwwlllly building a new action in to replace that craving (currently tea-which I am going to need to learn to make iced because where I live it's hitting the 90s and climbing, temp-wise). This has actually been working. I don't long for a cup of tea like I long for a chocolate brownie, but it doesn't feel so foreign to go through the motions and then sip something instead of munching something, and as I said before, I end up feeling better about myself, instead of disgusted with myself for choosing to be miserable, which is rewarding.

Someone mentioned acne, I have been having some breakouts too, I think because of the detoxing. But I'm also noticing less puffiness in my face, although I still feel bloated.

HUNGER: Someone (sorry, I'm so behind in my reading I forgot who) mentioned being hungry as well as tired/cranky....eat! eat! This from the person who is trying not to snack (because for me it's NOT about hunger). If you're hungry, and haven't perfectly figured out how to eat just the right amount to make it to the next meal, have a snack! Fat/protein/veggie works well, like carrot sticks and guac and some turkey, or if you're weird like me a couple of fried eggs and salsa...but I know during my first W30 I was so nauseated sometimes I couldn't stand the thought of heavy stuff like that, and an apple and some almonds would make me feel massively better. Guess what? While we're getting that hang of this new groove, THAT IS OK :) Hang in there!

I'm on Day 6, and I've found that my appetite is gradually diminishing. I had bulletproof coffee this morning (with ghee) and brought a frittata for breakfast, but it's nearly 1pm here and I'm just now eating my frittata because I haven't been hungry. It's a nice change from wanting to eat all the dang time. I agree with StravaJunkie - eat! I snacked for the first couple of days until I got into the groove, and I think making sure I have enough fat in my meals is helping me stay satiated.

Hangover and Kill All The Things both hit me Saturday and yesterday, and I really hope that's it for those because I was a mess.

• Moderators

I'm on Day 6, and I've found that my appetite is gradually diminishing. I had bulletproof coffee this morning (with ghee) and brought a frittata for breakfast, but it's nearly 1pm here and I'm just now eating my frittata because I haven't been hungry. It's a nice change from wanting to eat all the dang time. I agree with StravaJunkie - eat! I snacked for the first couple of days until I got into the groove, and I think making sure I have enough fat in my meals is helping me stay satiated.

Hangover and Kill All The Things both hit me Saturday and yesterday, and I really hope that's it for those because I was a mess.

Coffee is an appetite suppressant so we suggest you do not drink your coffee until after you've eaten.  We also recommend that you eat within an hour of waking.  If you're the sort of person that eating in the am makes you feel sick or nauseous, please know that that is a symptom of having unbalanced hormones and the only way to fix that is to eat within an hour of waking.

what went wrong . recipes said I didn't have to do room temp egg. I used one from fridge. and poured 1/4 of olive oil light in ninja.  then I tried to switch to immersion blender, wasn't enough, so I went back to Ninja.  then I poured in the the rest of the oil and I get a yellow runny nothing

You cant use ninja or any type of regular blender for the foolproof method of mayo.  You have to use a stick (immersion) blender for the entire process.

Use a tall narrow glass. Make sure the stick blender will fit all the way to the bottom of the glass before you start!

Crack your egg into glass. Pour 1 cup of olive oil into glass.  Add your lemon juice, salt, seasonings.  Put your stick blender in the glass, making sure it is all the way down and touching the bottom.  Turn on your stick blender to high and DONT MOVE IT FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS!  This is key -- hold it in one position all the way at the bottom of the glass until everything starts to blend and thicken.  SLOWLY start to pull your blender upwards to blend in all the oil. 

Let me know if that helps. 

Earoti, how is the bloating and acne?  I woke up to a couple of blemishes yesterday and am sure it's just detox happening, so that's good.  Some bloating would also be on schedule with your digestive system sorting things out.  Personally my digestive condition (SIBO - a cause of IBS) takes me from bikini-ready in the morning (well, I mean I would be if I was 15 years younger and had no kids and worked out a lot more and had all day to hang out at the beach  :) - ok-- well maybe bikini with a really baggy opaque cover-up) to looking as though I'm 3-4 months pregnant by mid-afternoon/ evening... which has to do with the types of food (FODMAP), so for now I have to avoid cauliflower, broccoli, fermented foods, and a few other things, even though those are so nutritious and perfect for this plan.  I had never heard of SIBO and found out as the result of an elimination diet earlier this year when I was eating so much cauliflower and kept getting more and more bloated! Though not all that uncommon, it's probably not applicable to anyone here unless bloating was an issue before you started.       

Crimsann, coffee afficianado!. Love that little lesson about roasting and flavors!  

I bought a new Whole30 approved creamer called NUTPODS and it arrived today. It is unsweetened vanilla coconut cream + almond milk. 

Yes, thank you both, Crimsann and samnkelli!  By "blonde" roast, I'm thinking you mean light roast, right Crimsann?  I really appreciated a good coffee (even beneath the layers of cream and sweetener) when I happened upon one, but I didn't know how to find a brand/roast I can brew or press myself (even some of the local roasters' coffee isn't that great), so this will be helpful.  I did get a cup yesterday that wasn't bad at all blended with my cashew milk -- I can see how this habit would grow on me!  Like I needed another drinking habit - but this could replace my others, haha!   

As my test already came back and sort of politely told me I would prefer not to work with people at all, I'm not sure that is something that should be explored under "kill all the things" conditions. 

and

Wish me luck. (Ohmygod I just typed "wish me lunch". I am seriously losing my mind.)

You two are hysterical, thanks for the good laughs!!

Welcome Graceahp, SaraKate, iTeach, or whoever is reading and not commenting but wants to join in!  Glad to have you.

Also, great job to everyone so far!  My suggestion (to myself too), especially if you are struggling, is to just try to stay with these good choices through this week and weekend, which will get us to Day 13/14, which is only 2 weeks, but we can certainly do it for 2 weeks, and by then I'm hoping we should be feeling much better, more energetic, and in a good routine. I'm already waking up earlier, ready to get out of bed, feeling like my sleep has been restorative. 

Coffee is an appetite suppressant so we suggest you do not drink your coffee until after you've eaten.  We also recommend that you eat within an hour of waking.  If you're the sort of person that eating in the am makes you feel sick or nauseous, please know that that is a symptom of having unbalanced hormones and the only way to fix that is to eat within an hour of waking.

Thanks! I typically don't have time to eat within an hour of waking, unless it's like, a hard-boiled egg - I have a toddler and my husband is deployed, so breakfast is typically at work because just getting the door with her is a crapshoot! I actually don't mind the appetite suppression at all - my meals are large enough that I'm satiated, but before Whole30, I was a serious snacker and wanted to eat constantly, so listening to my inner voice and eating when I'm actually hungry has been amazing.

You cant use ninja or any type of regular blender for the foolproof method of mayo.  You have to use a stick (immersion) blender for the entire process.

Use a tall narrow glass. Make sure the stick blender will fit all the way to the bottom of the glass before you start!

Crack your egg into glass. Pour 1 cup of olive oil into glass.  Add your lemon juice, salt, seasonings.  Put your stick blender in the glass, making sure it is all the way down and touching the bottom.  Turn on your stick blender to high and DONT MOVE IT FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS!  This is key -- hold it in one position all the way at the bottom of the glass until everything starts to blend and thicken.  SLOWLY start to pull your blender upwards to blend in all the oil. 

Let me know if that helps. 

I would try this again but I only have one egg left.  I won't be going out until tomorrow.   

and I got fast and just ordered the Primal from Amazon and will be here by wednesday..   I also need a larger glass jar. I have my canning Ball jars but the bottom is too narrow for the stick blender I have..  

i even tried to use the Mixer container that goes with the Ninja, wouldn't touch the bottom..   

then I tried pouring it in a bowl.. NO> no NO. splatter splatter every where..  

so I go on to something else. I"m making the pork chops with apple sauce..     they ask for apple cider but I'll have to make my own cider with the apples i have, I guess.  

then on to something else.  I feel like a cooking night..  

Crimsann, I'm still grinning about the "basically your personality doesn't like to work with people"... or whatever it was exactly...we may share that personality trait!

Welcome to all the new people! This is a super active thread and I personally find it really helpful.

We had a very busy weekend with a lot of social stuff (which with a large family is pretty chaotic), and my big takeaway was how much these eating parameters helped to me enjoy the people, instead of being focused on the food because my natural habit is to hide from stress in food. Having removed that crutch, I was able to sip (black) coffee, visit, probably munch a bit too much on nuts and fruit, but for the most part, I came out of it feeling like I behaved like an adult-and without the carb overload hangover that I'm used to. All that being said, IT WAS REALLY HARD. Habits bite- or at least the wrong ones do.

I think I'm onto something with the idea of identifying the trigger...

A job where I don't have to talk to anyone before 10 am?  Perfect for me!  (I'm grateful for the nurses and other nurturing professions among us though - glad we are all different.)  

stravajunkie, I agree, an active group with lots of posts is really helpful!  And I love your comment about how were able to focus on the people at the gathering.  I too have been figuring out some of my triggers -- what a great key in the quest to change bad habits.  Also, you are making me miss cycling terribly, so I'm reloading my stock of CO2, calling my best riding buddy, and getting back to my all-time favorite activity.   Thanks!!!!

[/m2_zps5enfhdww.jpg

this is sweet potato with Ghee

home made applesauce per page 258

Cauliflower rice per page 272

pork chop per page 258

How'd I do? please? 

SaveSave

I certainly would love to sit down and have dinner with you AND that meal! Oh my goodness, you're a fantastic cook with switching healthy choice foods! I sense you have a southern flare and style of cooking. ;)

I would say this meal is a fantastic meal, but then I tend to eat more raw fruits, spring mix salads, romaine lettuce wrapped "sandwiches", and pretty much anything that crunches and gives me more fiber choices.... so I may not be the best "food critic".  :rolleyes:

Thanks! I typically don't have time to eat within an hour of waking, unless it's like, a hard-boiled egg - I have a toddler and my husband is deployed, so breakfast is typically at work because just getting the door with her is a crapshoot! I actually don't mind the appetite suppression at all - my meals are large enough that I'm satiated, but before Whole30, I was a serious snacker and wanted to eat constantly, so listening to my inner voice and eating when I'm actually hungry has been amazing.

Thankful for your husbands service and your strength!

I get that part about getting out the door with a toddler! I remember feeling like a walking Octopus most days. It's amazing how we start figuring out how to change up our meals to satisfy the healthy part and satisfying part...not an easy task for sure. 

Day 6 and my fatigue is weaning...so is my snarly attitude, I think.

I have more energy, or at least I believe I do so I'm able to get through the physical work and some of the usage of my brain. I'm getting ready to take a class on leadership so I need all the brain power I can muster over the next 4 weeks!

Archived