Cleaned out my frig and pantry.

I semi started Whole30 12 days ago along with my husband who started full on. He's lost about 10 pounds and brought his blood pressure down from 140/90 to 105/75 while eating bacon and steak. He's amazed. Me...I can't do a restrictive "diet" but I eat Whole30 regularly. What Whole30 has done for me is provide the confidence to say no. Before I felt fussy refusing foods that others were eating. I love having a theory and a plan to back up my food choices. I still use stevia and a little bit of cream in my coffee, but I threw out all the condiments with preservatives I hated having in my frig and feeding to my kids. It always made me feel uncomfortable. I only wish I had done it sooner. Maybe by next month I can ween myself off of the sweet, creamy, delicious coffee I so love. If not, so be it. I'm a Whole30 believer. I found it interesting to read how Dallas Hartwig doesn't practice Whole30 because he's learned his triggers. I feel like I am almost there. I'm so grateful my friend mentioned Whole30 to me!

Why Dallas No Longer Needs the Whole30

"But notice this: even though the Whole30 often helps people address their unhealthy emotional relationship with food, none of the things I mentioned about me really fit into that category. And that’s okay. We’re not trying to convince everyone that they have messed-up relationship with food.  I simply didn’t.  I used to eat unhealthy foods basically every day, but I didn’t have any guilt, and I didn’t use food as reward or punishment. It just wasn’t how it worked for me. Of course, that’s not to say that those food choices were good for me, because I’ve since learned that they are definitely not. There are direct and indirect consequences of my choices, but they affect my mood, sleep, digestive tract, and skin instead of an inner-voice-that-scolds-me."

Dallas Hartwig

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/03/dallas-whole30/#sthash.CB2ivxfK.dpuf

I semi started Whole30 12 days ago along with my husband who started full on. He's lost about 10 pounds and brought his blood pressure down from 140/90 to 105/75 while eating bacon and steak. He's amazed. Me...I can't do a restrictive "diet" but I eat Whole30 regularly.

If I'm reading this correctly, I understand you started eating W30ish 12 days ago and your husband is doing a compliant W30. However, he has weighed himself, which isn't compliant to the program. The guidelines are very clear and so neither of you are doing a Whole30. I'm wondering if you really think posting under Success Stories is appropriate?

The fact that you can't give up your cream and stevia says that you haven't found success with the program. I would have loved to keep my cream and stevia and weighed myself, but I committed and completed a successful 30 days. I'm now on day 47.

The program is not about losing weight eating steak and bacon.

With all due respect, it seems like you're jumping the queue and claiming success with a lot of excuses. Why not jump in with both feet? It's much better in the water than on the fence.

Dear Kaelisan, I'm very happy for you and your success so far. I'm thrilled with Whole30 and my husband's and my success. I plan to continue with Whole30, Whole9, day 31, reintegration, whatever you want to call it. It is a good fit for me. I said my husband lost about 10 pounds as he can feel it in his clothes. I don't need an uber restrictive "diet". It is not a healthy mind set for me. I don't need to lose weight or improve health conditions. I need support for my way of eating and that is what Whole30 is for me. I clearly understand everything that Whole30 represents and I embrace it. Please consider being more positive in your approach to others who are looking for camaraderie in this forum. I fear your attitude will chase friends, family and potential Whole30 participants away, especially those who might like to wean themselves in. I'm sorry you feel like mine is not a success. It is for me. Consider me a WholeLifer. Through Whole30 I've found a way to explain why I eat the way I do. I would like to reach out to the forum to delete my post if you feel it is appropriate to do so. It is not my desire to cause conflict. --DC

• Moderators

I believe what Kaelisan is saying is that you have not given yourself the full opportunity to do the Whole30 and really experience all the amazing benefits... sometimes those things that we think are not impactful (stevia, creamy coffee) are the things, that when we commit to the program are the most impactful to our psyche.

Your post can definitely stay and it's definitely a success story for you, we just really all want people to experience ALL the benefits of Whole30... it's very specifically lined out exactly what constitutes a Whole30 and if you are wanting to wean yourself in, that's great, we encourage that all the time for people to pick their date and then start taking stuff out of their diet. The thing is that without having done the actual Whole30, you're denying yourself the full benefit of the program.... I hope that when you feel ready, you jump in with both feet and give the program a really good solid 30 days to see what your even greater success story could be.

The thing about Dallas not doing Whole30 anymore is that he's done the whole30 including reintroductions and assessed exactly how he physically and mentally interacts with potentially inflammatory and triggering foods. It's great to see that you have more control over your food but until you do the full program, you won't know what your triggers actualliy are... please don't set yourself up for not doing the program because you think you're where someone who has actually completed it is... that's really selling yourself short.

Thank you SugarcubeOD for your thoughtful reply. Yet unfortunately Kaelisan's supercillious tone has turned me off this forum, a place where I came for support and encouragement. If 50% of the people on this site are as arrogant and envious, this is not the place for me. I guess she's right, I'm not doing a Whole30 and it is not appropriate for me to post. Best of luck to you.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish there were a way to revise the topic heading above. I have stopped using stevia and creamer in my coffee. Just took me a while. I kind of slid into Whole30 instead of going cold turkey as my diet was good prior to Whole30. One thing I have noticed is that prior to Whole30, I would have had 2-3 pieces of cookie cake last night! I was a sugar fiend! I never realized sugar was so bad for a person. It seems so benign, yet I can tell it totally messed up my metabolism. I never ate fried food, chips, packaged cookies, etc, but I ate homemade baked goods laden with sugar at times. Cutting out the sugar has been great for me! I no longer have food cravings and can go hours without eating by using my own body fat as energy. I'm so glad to be back on track and have figured this out!

Archived