June 1st 2016! DO or DIE right?!?!

socalmama

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took about 5 minutes or so for the fatty bits to really start coming up.  I had let my first one boil for almost 10 minutes before I realized that it had already clarified :rolleyes:

Honestly the straining is the hard part because you want to be careful not to burn yourself!  I made a huge mess and burned my fingers a little the first time I did it.  It might be easier if you clarify the butter, let it cool a little, then pour it into something with a spout before you try and pour it into the cloth-covered jar.

I WILL  probably give it at least one shot so I will know what I'm talking about should It come up in conversation...  I make soap so I should also be very much aware of what hot can do to ya...(S)..  I have cheesecloth but I see now, I need to buy the best non gmo butter i can find.   that way I'll have head knowledge and I'll also buy some Ghee just in case..;) 

sounds like I'll have fun watching the process...  I have some small mason jars also I can pour it into.. and some nylon strainers.. 

I am going to join the group starting June 1st!  I had great results about 3 years ago when I did my first W30.  It is time to do it again,  I have pain that I want to have go away.  Let's support each other.  I remember the keys before were planning and sticking to the plan!

It took about 5 minutes or so for the fatty bits to really start coming up.  I had let my first one boil for almost 10 minutes before I realized that it had already clarified :rolleyes:

Honestly the straining is the hard part because you want to be careful not to burn yourself!  I made a huge mess and burned my fingers a little the first time I did it.  It might be easier if you clarify the butter, let it cool a little, then pour it into something with a spout before you try and pour it into the cloth-covered jar.

Kelly. I'm sticking with the June 1 whole thirty. Jus so you know where I'm at

Downloaded the Whole30 book and read a lot of it yesterday. Frankly, I'm a little discouraged. It looks like SO much work and time. Also, it seems expensive! Has anyone else who's done it found it expensive and time consuming? Don't wanna be a downer but just being honest.

Starting june 1st as well! Does anyone know where I could get those two books?! Running close to the deadline of starting, but determine to start over my eating habits asap!

Amazon. is the place for all things that need to be bought. No sir, I just love amazon. 

You can get either the kindle or the book at amazon.. then you will have it all before what ever your deadline is.  

Amazon on prime ships in 2 days.. 

Downloaded the Whole30 book and read a lot of it yesterday. Frankly, I'm a little discouraged. It looks like SO much work and time. Also, it seems expensive! Has anyone else who's done it found it expensive and time consuming? Don't wanna be a downer but just being honest.

I haven't looked at the part that is a lot of work but for me, I'm going to do the work because I can't live like I'm living.  

you're not a downer, you just said what it looks like. but maybe there will be some fun in there when you find an easy recipe that you like and stick with that.. 

Hey all!

I will be starting June 1 as well. I have completed one whole30 in the past but since then I have tried and failed to complete another whole30. They all seem to turn into whole 10s or 15s. I have been really batteling my sugar dragon lately and have gained an uncomfortable amount of weight since my last whole30. I am not kidding when I say I will need support from you all. Best of luck to you all!

The cost honestly doesn't change much from your typical food spending. You won't be eating out as much and won't be buying junk or frozen meals. So after you get the hang of it you will see the expenses aren't too different. As for time consuming yes I would say you do have to make this a huge priority!! I have read of people meal prepping for a whole day so they don't need to throughout the week, however I prefer to make my meals fresh each day. You might find you enjoy spending more time making creations then you thought.

Starting here again.  I've tried it a few times in the past, but don't seem to make it past day 5, and I can already tell I'm gonna need lots of help.  Something's gotta give now though, because it seems as if everyone around me is getting healthy except me. Here's to success and it being my turn!!!

I just filled up my fridge and freezer for the first two weeks.  I planned my menu through the entire 30 days, but it's not set in stone.  I can change it if I want!

I made up a jar of clarified butter, but when I tried to make the whole30 mayo, it was a complete failure.  I didn't see the sub-portion of the recipe where it said everything should be room temperature!  Also I think my olive oil is expired.  I don't know when it was bought.

Anybody else having troubles with getting ready for Day 1?

I think I am more nervous than anything.. over this past weekend I played with my coffee. Tried it with ghee, ya nope not happening, tried it with the califia almond milk & I can only get through a few sips. Went to teavana & so many of their teas have added sugar. I am literally going to live off infused water. I feel pretty comfortable food wise for week 1, its gonna be the rest that I need to tap in to creativity

What happens ૐ day 5 to throw a monkey wrench in?

your body goes into a "detox" which is what you want. many will see this between day 5-7. your body is getting rid of the bad stuff, so some will get headaches, feel tired because we have been so sugar, carb dependent 

This weekend has been work reading so many labels, but honestly I trust once we really get use to what we need & should be eating it will get easier. I literally could not stand to shop anymore. My meals for week 1 are really focused on: eggs, chicken, veggies, & turkey 

Starting june 1st as well! Does anyone know where I could get those two books?! Running close to the deadline of starting, but determine to start over my eating habits asap!

I downloaded the 1st book off Amazon & ordered the whole30 book from Barnes & noble.

Hi! Can I join this group? I'm going to start tomorrow (May 31) but need to use most of the day prepping some meals and finishing my perishable shopping. I have most of my meals planned until Friday and then freaked out about the weekend. I'm married and have three kids. Husband thinks I'm crazy for doing this, but he eats whatever I cook and never complains. Kids are 4 (twins) and 3 - so their meals are very carb heavy and I'll have to figure out some things that they will eat. Thankfully they do like meat, fish, veggies and fruit - so I may just have to add in some carbs to pre-planned meals. 

I just made the mayo but used EVOO - yup - too strong! I'll make another batch when I get my hands on some lite olive oil. I just added a bunch of dill to it, so hopefully it will taste better. But it was so easy to make!

Not sure how the check-in works - but I would greatly appreciate the support and accountability. It's going to be hard! Any advice and tips are appreciated.

I feel you. It's overwhelming when you read it and sit down to plan it. But I've picked a few things that I can make ahead. I'm also trying to just modify what we normally eat. Broiled Salmon is a family favorite - I just have to change my butter to ghee. Meat Sauce is another favorite - I just have to cut out the pasta. We also love chicken tenders - I will use almond flour instead of breadcrumbs. I'm going to make the chili, salmon cakes and sausage patties to have on hand. I'm pretty excited about eating avocados and eggs. The protein salad is just a basic tuna salad/chicken salad. They mayo seemed very scary to make, but it was simple. Took only a few minutes. 

Just take it one step at a time - look in your kitchen and see what pantry supplies you have and build off of that. Don't buy all the random things that you don't think you will use. This is my first time doing Whole30 - so none of this is based on solid experience, just what I'm trying now and what is helping me stay grounded. I figure once I get through maybe 10 days, then I can experiment some more and take risks with recipes. 

I think the only way I'm going to be able to do this is baby steps and lots of support. You're not a debbie downer - it's very overwhelming. Just take it one step at a time. You can do it!

Archived