June 1st 2016! DO or DIE right?!?!

socalmama

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So excited to start my first Whole 30 tomorrow! I finished teaching for the school year on Friday and thought this would be a good summer project. My fiancé said he would join me in this endeavor - I don't know how he's going to feel without his Sour Patch Kids. Here's to hoping for the best!

I'm starting my 2nd Whole 30. the first time went well but I did not stick to it. This time around I really want to learn how to live this way not only for 30 days. I was not a part of the forum last time so hoping this will make a difference for me.

Good luck to us all!!!

I think I am more nervous than anything.. over this past weekend I played with my coffee. Tried it with ghee, ya nope not happening, tried it with the califia almond milk & I can only get through a few sips. Went to teavana & so many of their teas have added sugar. I am literally going to live off infused water. I feel pretty comfortable food wise for week 1, its gonna be the rest that I need to tap in to creativity

You put ghee in your coffee ?

So excited to start my first Whole 30 tomorrow! I finished teaching for the school year on Friday and thought this would be a good summer project. My fiancé said he would join me in this endeavor - I don't know how he's going to feel without his Sour Patch Kids. Here's to hoping for the best!

I think we have chosen one of the better months to start our healing process. M

Can you marine the will power it takes during October, November and December.

Hi! Can I join this group? I'm going to start tomorrow (May 31) but need to use most of the day prepping some meals and finishing my perishable shopping. I have most of my meals planned until Friday and then freaked out about the weekend. I'm married and have three kids. Husband thinks I'm crazy for doing this, but he eats whatever I cook and never complains. Kids are 4 (twins) and 3 - so their meals are very carb heavy and I'll have to figure out some things that they will eat. Thankfully they do like meat, fish, veggies and fruit - so I may just have to add in some carbs to pre-planned meals. 

I just made the mayo but used EVOO - yup - too strong! I'll make another batch when I get my hands on some lite olive oil. I just added a bunch of dill to it, so hopefully it will taste better. But it was so easy to make!

Not sure how the check-in works - but I would greatly appreciate the support and accountability. It's going to be hard! Any advice and tips are appreciated.

I feel for those with family to try to change. To me taking care of myself is a full time job.

I have a girlfriend whose family is vegetarian, and her girls do well. I guess if you nip it in the bud won't be so hard later on.

Hi ! I'd love to join you guys also! I have been part of a group, made it to day 15, then gave in to some extreme stress....but even just the 15 days have really helped me to re-set habits (this is my 2nd W30) and I'm excited to re-start. One thing I know that helps me a lot is to check in on these forums and post daily so that's what I plan to continue doing! I will be starting today because I know "taking a day off" will be EXTREMELY unhelpful for me mentally. So here goes, and yes, to all the folks who posted above, you CAN do this, and it IS worth it, and this program will amaze you in how many good habits it builds-far beyond just "what we eat".  

Thanks karineh and socalmama.  I have actually been reading labels, eating low carb and avoiding grains (somewhat) for many years. I've gotten waaaaay off this winter/spring however and figure the whole30 is a good jumpstart again!  I'm actually not overwhelmed by some of the meal planning. I guess what is scaring me is gonna sound silly, but  I really dont want to have to make my own mayo, salad dressings, sauces.  I generally use Hains Mayo but of course its not compliant on this.  I eat a lot of salad so having to make and remake salad dressing is a little daunting.  but I think the biggest fear is going w/o dairy.  Im not gonna make ghee and it is like $10 a jar at the store!   BTW, what is 'cooking fat'??  I've seen it in a few places and have no clue what that is?    All in all, Im gonna try this and I am so glad to have your support!  Seriously!

Thanks karineh and socalmama. I have actually been reading labels, eating low carb and avoiding grains (somewhat) for many years. I've gotten waaaaay off this winter/spring however and figure the whole30 is a good jumpstart again! I'm actually not overwhelmed by some of the meal planning. I guess what is scaring me is gonna sound silly, but I really dont want to have to make my own mayo, salad dressings, sauces. I generally use Hains Mayo but of course its not compliant on this. I eat a lot of salad so having to make and remake salad dressing is a little daunting. but I think the biggest fear is going w/o dairy. Im not gonna make ghee and it is like $10 a jar at the store! BTW, what is 'cooking fat'?? I've seen it in a few places and have no clue what that is? All in all, Im gonna try this and I am so glad to have your support! Seriously!

Honestly the salad dressing is super quick to make so don't get to scared about to. The worst part I think is sometimes with EVOO it will harden in the fridge which can be frustrating.

As far as cooking fat goes you pretty much pick your favorite whether it be Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Ghee, Lard or any other compliment fat that you like best.

your body goes into a "detox" which is what you want. many will see this between day 5-7. your body is getting rid of the bad stuff, so some will get headaches, feel tired because we have been so sugar, carb dependent 

thank you..   so be on the look out for Next monday eh?  lol   I should plan on doing something good for myself so I won't notice.. lol   

Hi! Can I join this group? I'm going to start tomorrow (May 31) but need to use most of the day prepping some meals and finishing my perishable shopping. I have most of my meals planned until Friday and then freaked out about the weekend. I'm married and have three kids. Husband thinks I'm crazy for doing this, but he eats whatever I cook and never complains. Kids are 4 (twins) and 3 - so their meals are very carb heavy and I'll have to figure out some things that they will eat. Thankfully they do like meat, fish, veggies and fruit - so I may just have to add in some carbs to pre-planned meals. 

I just made the mayo but used EVOO - yup - too strong! I'll make another batch when I get my hands on some lite olive oil. I just added a bunch of dill to it, so hopefully it will taste better. But it was so easy to make!

Not sure how the check-in works - but I would greatly appreciate the support and accountability. It's going to be hard! Any advice and tips are appreciated.

Welcome!! YES please join us =) I feel the more support the better! I think on og 1 or 2 there is a mayo write up. I know I can use all the support I can get. I too am a wife & mom to 3 boys. I figured (if all goes well) I can prep my meals & just continue making them dinner as planned. I am trying to make all our meals the same they can just have the added extras ex: burger day (they eat buns & i have lettuce)

I'm starting my 2nd Whole 30. the first time went well but I did not stick to it. This time around I really want to learn how to live this way not only for 30 days. I was not a part of the forum last time so hoping this will make a difference for me.

Good luck to us all!!!

My friend just finished her 30 days & decided to do whole 30 during the week & paleo on weekends. If all goes well (fingers crossed) I hope to follow her same plan... tbc!!!

You put ghee in your coffee

yup it was a vanilla ghee. If you google/pinterest there are recipes. Basically brew coffee (or french press), add 1 tblspoon of ghee & super blend (blending is key) to a froth cream look. crazy right!!??

Hi ! I'd love to join you guys also! I have been part of a group, made it to day 15, then gave in to some extreme stress....but even just the 15 days have really helped me to re-set habits (this is my 2nd W30) and I'm excited to re-start. One thing I know that helps me a lot is to check in on these forums and post daily so that's what I plan to continue doing! I will be starting today because I know "taking a day off" will be EXTREMELY unhelpful for me mentally. So here goes, and yes, to all the folks who posted above, you CAN do this, and it IS worth it, and this program will amaze you in how many good habits it builds-far beyond just "what we eat".  

YAY welcome!!!! I will be using my IG account too! @nunzia_L .. I just started a run streak too so June is gonna be an interesting month! You got this!

Thanks karineh and socalmama.  I have actually been reading labels, eating low carb and avoiding grains (somewhat) for many years. I've gotten waaaaay off this winter/spring however and figure the whole30 is a good jumpstart again!  I'm actually not overwhelmed by some of the meal planning. I guess what is scaring me is gonna sound silly, but  I really dont want to have to make my own mayo, salad dressings, sauces.  I generally use Hains Mayo but of course its not compliant on this.  I eat a lot of salad so having to make and remake salad dressing is a little daunting.  but I think the biggest fear is going w/o dairy.  Im not gonna make ghee and it is like $10 a jar at the store!   BTW, what is 'cooking fat'??  I've seen it in a few places and have no clue what that is?    All in all, Im gonna try this and I am so glad to have your support!  Seriously!

found in forum: Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

The Whole30 world is enthusiastic about a handful of cooking fats. In no particular order: ghee, clarified butter, coconut oil, beef tallow, and olive oil. These are not the only oils that are okay, but these are the favorites. One note: It is best not to heat olive oil to a high heat as it begins to change its healthiness under the stress of high heat.

Hey does anybody know if Safflour oil is compliant? In the past I have used it in Mayo for a lighter taste but I am not for sure if it's considered a seed oil or not.

Safflower/Sunflower Oil: Yesreluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

PSA: my fave new tool is GOOGLE!! type: whole30 & (whatever your are looking for) 

example: whole30 dextrin and you get this info in your search!

AWESOMENESS

Dextrin (from Tapioca) - Can I have ___? - Whole30
forum.whole30.com › The Whole30 Program › Can I have ___?
Jul 17, 2013 - Your dehydrated chips fail as Whole30 food because they are so processed... the tapioca dextrin is an additive. Why it is needed, I can't imagine. Tapioca dextrin is not offensive, but you really should eat better food even when you aren't doing a Whole30.
Read Your Labels Carefully with These 6 Whole30 Ingredients | The ...
whole30.com/2015/01/6-whole30-ingredients/
Jan 5, 2015 - Welcome to the January 2015 Whole30! Browse the internet and your social media feeds and it seems like everyone is doing the Whole30 right ...

yup it was a vanilla ghee. If you google/pinterest there are recipes. Basically brew coffee (or french press), add 1 tblspoon of ghee & super blend (blending is key) to a froth cream look. crazy right!!??

not even going to try that.. grease in your coffee. no thank you on that one.. lol 

Wow...it seems like June 1st is the beginning of this journey for a lot of us.  Good luck to all.  I know I am doing this because I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Going to be 50 in November and I know everyone says 50 is the new 40 but I feel more like 60 so I decided to make some (well really alot) of changes.

Hi all,

Like a couple of you who've already chimed in, I will be re-starting my Whole30 tomorrow. I originally started in mid-May and got 15 days in. I was doing fairly well until yesterday, when a cheese tray was the only protein available when visiting a friend. I skipped the hummus, crackers, and chocolate temptations, but indulged in cheddar and fresh fruit. I didn't *think* I had issues with dairy, but after today I'm not sure. Let's just say I felt that cheese in my gut for more than half the day. I'm back on track today, but officially restarting tomorrow and committing to an entire 30 days -- I'll plan even better this time, and be very mindful when I reintroduce dairy in July.

For those of you struggling with making mayonnaise, 30-45 seconds with a stick blender made a perfect emulsion for me. I second the recommendations for light olive or avocado oil and a room temperature egg. I'm using Melissa Joulwan's recipe and I'm going to reduce the amount of dry mustard next time… I found it a bit overpowering in this batch.

I've also made ghee… agree with those who said the right temperature to melt/clarify without burning/browning, and then straining it without burning myself were the biggest challenges. It's far less expensive than buying it though.

As far as shopping/stocking "special" foods and the associated cost, I bought a jar of organic beef tallow and a bottle of coconut aminos. I already had olive, avocado, and coconut oil in my pantry. I ate for two weeks on about $40/week -- fruits, vegetables, canned tuna/salmon/chicken (read the labels), organic chicken, wild salmon, pork tenderloin, tri tip, a Costco-sized package of Aidell's chicken/apple sausage, 2 emergency only Lara bars and two dozen organic/free range eggs. I've also rediscovered my spice collection. I LIKE meal planning, preparation and cooking, so that part's been no stretch. And after my first "day 2" I stopped craving sweet endings to every meal and had no problem closing the kitchen after dinner -- the draw to a bag of chips or a bowl of popcorn disappeared completely. Your mileage, of course, may vary. :)

I'd love to connect with you all on Facebook (Dolores Ferrero) or Instagram (@dferrero).

Looking forward to sharing this journey with all of you!

Hi everyone. Hubby and I ate starting today as well. This is round 2 for us. We did a really successful whole30 in February. Learned tons about our bodies and made some good changes; but over the last 2 months some bad habits have crept back in and it's time for a reset. I'm so excited because I remember that as hard as some days were,the end results are so worth it!

First day! I made the mistake of not waking up early enough to construct a great breakfast, so I had some leftover bacon and part of a bell pepper. Luckily, my lunch is better: hamburger patties, a large cucumber, raw almonds, kiwi, and the rest of the red pepper. Here's to hoping I don't get too hungry too fast.

Archived