June 1st 2016! DO or DIE right?!?!

socalmama

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you struggling with making mayonnaise, 30-45 seconds with a stick blender made a perfect emulsion for me. I second the recommendations for light olive or avocado oil and a room temperature egg. I'm using Melissa Joulwan's recipe and I'm going to reduce the amount of dry mustard next time… I found it a bit overpowering in this batch.

Thanks for that tip, had already planned to make her mayo recipe today...I went out and bought a stick blender this past weekend, as I did not think I would possess the desired patience to slowly add to blender over the course of several minutes!

Question: How helpful is the book? I've read "It Starts With Food," but should I read "Whole 30?"

I have both! it has been advised everywhere i read to get it. honestly I've learned so much this far! but if $$ is an issue I have read that you can get just as much info reading whole 30 & in forums =)

HAPPY 1st DAY!!!! Breakfast: 4 egg whites w/ spinach, blk olives & mushrooms (pan sauté with ghee) blk coffee with califia almond milk & lunch prep chicken with salsa (tomatoes, bell peppers) & cauliflower rice! Lots of water & i did have to pack an emergency LaraBar because after work & have graduation errands to get through for my son!!! Woohoooo! Good Start! Great Start!!!

Question: How helpful is the book? I've read "It Starts With Food," but should I read "Whole 30?"

It's my first day today and I feel really well-prepared having read Whole30 - I opted not to read ISWF but maybe next round :)  I am on a mission!  Go June!

Good Morning!

Today I am starting my very first Whole30 as well, along with my fiancé. I'm super scared/excited/pumped to get this going. Last night we got 100% Whole30 ingredients and boxed up and sealed any non compliant ingredients in a no-no box, haha. Anything that wouldn't last got chucked (luckily the largest items were a half jar of spaghetti sauce that was old af and a third of a home made cake left over from a birthday last week. We took our last bite before our journey today and the rest is history)

Creamy/sugary coffee is my BIGGEST weakness, but I'm prepared to go the distance (and I do love black Iced Americanos, so probably a lot of those).

AAah! So excited! Now time to make breakfast! 

I feel you. It's overwhelming when you read it and sit down to plan it. But I've picked a few things that I can make ahead. I'm also trying to just modify what we normally eat. Broiled Salmon is a family favorite - I just have to change my butter to ghee. Meat Sauce is another favorite - I just have to cut out the pasta. We also love chicken tenders - I will use almond flour instead of breadcrumbs. I'm going to make the chili, salmon cakes and sausage patties to have on hand. I'm pretty excited about eating avocados and eggs. The protein salad is just a basic tuna salad/chicken salad. They mayo seemed very scary to make, but it was simple. Took only a few minutes. 

Just take it one step at a time - look in your kitchen and see what pantry supplies you have and build off of that. Don't buy all the random things that you don't think you will use. This is my first time doing Whole30 - so none of this is based on solid experience, just what I'm trying now and what is helping me stay grounded. I figure once I get through maybe 10 days, then I can experiment some more and take risks with recipes. 

I think the only way I'm going to be able to do this is baby steps and lots of support. You're not a debbie downer - it's very overwhelming. Just take it one step at a time. You can do it!

karineh, I think you hit the nail on the head...go with what you know, modify as necessary.  No need to re-invent the wheel.  I just made a big ass salad with chicken breast, only omitting the cheese and ranch or blue cheese dressing that I am used to.  Dressing was balsamic vinegar and EVOO, no guessing what is compliant there.  I also have some apple cider vinegar, and just going to try a few shakes of this and that, instead of looking for compliant dressings.  I play it loose on the planning, but I am eyeing a fat spaghetti squash on the counter, perfect foil for a meat sauce.  Also have some lovely yellow bell peppers hanging around, stuffed peppers...minus the rice.  Etc.etc. etc!

I started my Whole30 today too! I rented Whole30 and It Starts with Food from the library, and I'm halfway through the first book. I hope to resolve my depression and anxiety ...and to inspire my husband with Type 2 diabetes and heart disease to join me! He'll eat whatever I cook for dinner, but he's not ready to commit yet.

I'm unfortunately down to my last egg (reserved for Whole30 mayonnaise), and I can't get more until the next farmer's market on Saturday. I highly recommend buying your eggs from a local farmer with pastured chickens; you won't believe how bright the yolks are or how good they taste! They cost $4 per dozen here in Ohio.

Hello - Im looking forward to joining you all.

I've started on June 1st (again). This was recommended by my doctor.

I've read both books.

I made it 18 days back around in March. I hurt my back and/or had a kidney infection. Between not being able to cook, and taking pain meds, and feeling sorry for myself I started eating crap food. 

Some of these things I've been doing for a long time (sort of). I have chronic daily migraines, so I generally have to be careful about my eating (until I just give up and figure my head is going to hurt anyway). I've looked at/tried Paleo, Paleo Auto Immune Protocol, and GAPS. Oh, and Keto, as that is reported to help with migraines. 

I have found starting is okay, but sticking to these plans is difficult. So, I'm trying to find help is staying motivated. 

Last time I kept meaning to join the forums, but I never did, so this time I am. I don't really have a support network, so I thought that the forums might help - particularly if I hit a rough patch. (I signed up for the newsletter as well.) 

I saw this group for the June 1st starters - and I think I'm going to need lots of help.

So far today:

3 eggs in ghee, 1/2 grapefruit, black coffee (1 cup)

larabar cashew & decaf

meatloaf with veggies & 1/2 potato, peaches for dessert 

I struggle with veggies, so I mix them into meatloaf (zucchini, cauliflower, green pepper, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, tomato sauce)

Not sure about dinner yet. 

Lucky me - I like eggs for breakfast. 

Nights are hardest though - I am used to snacking through the evening/into night. And, I'm usually up until 2-3am. 

hmmm... 

Made it through Day 1 with only a little trouble.  My dad decided he was in the mood for tacos for lunch, and I hadn't eaten yet.  I didn't indulge, but it smelled soooooo tempting!  I feel a caffeine headache coming on, so I'm heading to bed early.  Goodnight all!

Made it through another day! (almost - it's only 7:30) Today I did have some challenges, we had a picnic lunch at the park - I packed a good lunch for myself, but with the kids asking for pushes on the swing and eating faster than me - I didn't eat as much as I wanted to. Also, my parents and MIL came of=ver for the day. My MIL never comes empty handed and brought over yummy meat filled pastries - I haven't opened the fridge because I'm afraid I'll eat one. I've held up decently today.

Breakfast - 2 eggs, sausage patty, mushroom and spinach omelet.

Lunch - chicken breast mixed with dill mayo, red and yellow peppers, broccoli, carrots (all raw) and mixed berries. (Confession - At home I knew the ranch dressing for the kids was not Whole30, but I accidentally dipped my pepper in it but realized it before the second dip. ooops!)

Snack - My girls had dance soon after our picnic and since I didn't do a good job with my lunch I had a Larabar (cashew) and some roasted pistachios.

Dinner - grilled chicken, grilled portobello mushroom, grilled zucchini, steamed broccoli and steamed green beans.

I'm still hungry so I will have a snack or something. Maybe some veggies and guac and fruit. I have a blood test tomorrow, so breakfast will be late!

Happy First Day, Everyone!  I think I did pretty good considering I didnt really have much time to prepare completely!  

Meal 1:Eggs scrambled with onions, peppers and tomatoes

Meal 2: Grass fed beef burger with onion, tomato, mustard wrapped in lettuce leaf.

Afternoon Snack: Apple with almond butter

Meal 3: Pork chops and saurkraut.  

thanks for all the support in here.  I look forward to checking in each day. 

Did pretty good for day 1

veggie omelet, half an avocado and half an apple for breakfast with ginger&turmeric tea

Lunch was a Sautee bowl of seasoned ground beef, cabbage,mushrooms and peppers

Dinner was fish, roasted balsamic cabbage steaks and roast sweet potato.

Hi all!

Today I started my very first Whole30!!!

Last December I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I could not believe it and neither could my doc. He had me do the lab-work again, just to make sure there wasn't a mistake. There wasn't :o .

I have no family history of diabetes, I have always been pretty active, have been going to the gym 3-5 days per week for 14 years, I am not really overweight, although I have been trying to loose the same 20 pounds for 20 years ;) I don't drink Coke, Dr. Pepper or any of that crap, never have, and I "thought" I have always eaten fairly "clean"...

So, with that diagnosis, I started reading EVERYTHING I could find to try figure out what the heck caused this to happen to ME!!!

I REFUSE to be diabetic!!! NO-NO-NO!!!

In my reading/research I came across the "Wheat Belly" book and read it in two days! Then I found  "It Starts With Food" and read it in two days. This stuff is FASCINATING to me!!! I am almost finished with "Whole 30".

This is what I think happened: When my daughter was a few months old I discovered that Cheerios were a great finger food for babies, so I got her some. And I started eating them...EVERY SINGLE day, for almost 35 years!!! I'll bet I DIDN'T have one (or two) bowls of Cheerios (w/milk & sugar) maybe 10 days in the last 35 years. Is this possible?!? 

Anyway, that's my theory.

All that said, I am REALLY REALLY REALLY missing my Cheerios. That is gonna be the hardest part of this journey for me, but I'm gonna do it!!!

Day one down ~ let's do this!!!

So guys I have something to share. I Am going to try to do as close to 100% as possible for this but it won't happen. I am currently at a military field exercise and have to eat what they give me. However they almost always seem to have a grain less meat option and veggies so I will be as Whole30 as possible. However I still need your support to get through this, even if I don't actually know if my eggs are powdered or if my meatloaf has flour in it but I have to work with what I have. Please support me even if I am not 100% to the best of my knowledge I am.

Over my past primal and whole30 expectancies I have found I am very sensitive to grains and sugar so it feels imperative to stay on track, even when everybody around me eats awful and tries to peruse me to joining in.

I had a good day today...

Breakfast: homemade sausage, cucumber & avocado and a fried egg over arugula

Lunch: turkey breast, almonds and an orange

Dinner: carnitas salad at Chipotle (romaine, carnitas, double tomato salsa, guacamole)

Plus I got my 15k steps in for the first day of June (going to try to make a 30 day streak).

We're on a small dog show related road trip through Sunday. Since our motel room has a refrigerator, I made a frittata, brought the leftover (cooked) sausage, some veggies, a knife and cutting board, leftover tri tip and pork tenderloin, and some canned tuna/salmon. We're going to eat out of the motel room for breakfast and lunch, so I only have to worry about dinners out. I suspect in addition to sticking to my plan, we'll save some money that way too. Going to be HOT (105+) the next couple of days and the motel doesn't have a gym, so I'm going to have to get creative getting steps.

I'm starting my 2nd Whole 30. the first time went well but I did not stick to it. This time around I really want to learn how to live this way not only for 30 days. I was not a part of the forum last time so hoping this will make a difference for me.

Good luck to us all!!!

Day 1 down. Had a hard time sleeping and have a headache this morning. I think it's because I'm used to having wine at night. Bring on day 2!!!

I survived the first day... with only two trips to the grocery store! Luckily it's less than two blocks away.

Breakfast: Tuna guacamole salad in lettuce leaves with apple slices

Lunch: Mushroom, onion, and basil omelette with bacon and kombucha

Snack: Apple slices and almond butter

Dinner: Chicken, mango salsa, and peanut sauce in lettuce with bok choy

Now the hangover starts...

Hello - Im looking forward to joining you all.

I've started on June 1st (again). This was recommended by my doctor.

I've read both books.

I made it 18 days back around in March. I hurt my back and/or had a kidney infection. Between not being able to cook, and taking pain meds, and feeling sorry for myself I started eating crap food. 

Some of these things I've been doing for a long time (sort of). I have chronic daily migraines, so I generally have to be careful about my eating (until I just give up and figure my head is going to hurt anyway). I've looked at/tried Paleo, Paleo Auto Immune Protocol, and GAPS. Oh, and Keto, as that is reported to help with migraines. 

I have found starting is okay, but sticking to these plans is difficult. So, I'm trying to find help is staying motivated. 

Last time I kept meaning to join the forums, but I never did, so this time I am. I don't really have a support network, so I thought that the forums might help - particularly if I hit a rough patch. (I signed up for the newsletter as well.) 

I saw this group for the June 1st starters - and I think I'm going to need lots of help.

So far today:

3 eggs in ghee, 1/2 grapefruit, black coffee (1 cup)

larabar cashew & decaf

meatloaf with veggies & 1/2 potato, peaches for dessert 

I struggle with veggies, so I mix them into meatloaf (zucchini, cauliflower, green pepper, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, tomato sauce)

Not sure about dinner yet. 

Lucky me - I like eggs for breakfast. 

Nights are hardest though - I am used to snacking through the evening/into night. And, I'm usually up until 2-3am. 

hmmm... 

Welcome!!! Glad you are joining our group!! The hardest thing we ever do is CHANGE, but you have taken the 1st step & that's what counts! I too am a snacker, so I totally understand how you feel! We got this! Hooray for Day 1! its over! 29 more to go!!!!

Made it through Day 1 with only a little trouble.  My dad decided he was in the mood for tacos for lunch, and I hadn't eaten yet.  I didn't indulge, but it smelled soooooo tempting!  I feel a caffeine headache coming on, so I'm heading to bed early.  Goodnight all!

Ugh the temptation!!! No fair (& hey its not Taco Tuesday!! lol) High Five you didn't cave! Mind over Matter (or tacos in this case!) 

Made it through another day! (almost - it's only 7:30) Today I did have some challenges, we had a picnic lunch at the park - I packed a good lunch for myself, but with the kids asking for pushes on the swing and eating faster than me - I didn't eat as much as I wanted to. Also, my parents and MIL came of=ver for the day. My MIL never comes empty handed and brought over yummy meat filled pastries - I haven't opened the fridge because I'm afraid I'll eat one. I've held up decently today.

Breakfast - 2 eggs, sausage patty, mushroom and spinach omelet.

Lunch - chicken breast mixed with dill mayo, red and yellow peppers, broccoli, carrots (all raw) and mixed berries. (Confession - At home I knew the ranch dressing for the kids was not Whole30, but I accidentally dipped my pepper in it but realized it before the second dip. ooops!)

Snack - My girls had dance soon after our picnic and since I didn't do a good job with my lunch I had a Larabar (cashew) and some roasted pistachios.

Dinner - grilled chicken, grilled portobello mushroom, grilled zucchini, steamed broccoli and steamed green beans.

I'm still hungry so I will have a snack or something. Maybe some veggies and guac and fruit. I have a blood test tomorrow, so breakfast will be late!

Saw your IG post! Way to get through the day!!! 

Archived