Whacky lipid panel results

On day 25 of my Whole30 journey I had my blood tested for the common range of indicators and the lipid panel was kind of whacky for someone who has been following the whole 30 regimen religously. Everything was good except for the triglyceride level which was 230 mg/dl or greater than the recc. 149 mg/dl. My cholesterol was 186, my HDL was 54, my LDL was 86 and my cholesterol non hdl was 132.

So my doctor who is new to me (and obese) and didn't know anything about diet, whole30 says i should be on a low cholesterol diet. The bloods were taken in the afternoon after i had had a pretty typical whole30 breakfast and lunch, i.e. Definitely not fasting.

What am i to make of this? Is 230 for triglycerides taken post-prandially an issue? When i read up on high triglycerides on the web they say to abstain from grains and refined carbohydrates. Hello that is exactly what I have been doing. Should I ask to have it retested in a fasting mode?

Any ideas warmly welcomed.

• Moderators

I did not realize any medical professional did blood testing without fasting. That is a problem.

Another issue is that if you are losing weight during your Whole30, your triglycerides may rise because the fat goes from storage, through your blood/body, to be used as energy. During a period of losing lots of fat, the triglycerides will be higher than normal. 

Archived