Even with the best efforts at meal planning...

Things can go wrong... today someone threw my carefully prepared and packaged lunch away from the fridge where I'd stuck it when I came in to work this morning!

Don't mind me while I boohoo and sulk for a little while... I just feel hungry, frustrated, and sorry for myself.

The braised cabbage, sliced boiled beets, coconut flour/unsweetened coconut flake/egg battered catfish filets would have been delicious. Now I have to go down to the cafeteria and purchase a salad that isn't nearly as good as what I would have made had I wanted a salad in the first place. No protein either, because the tuna is institutional cans with soy, and the other options are breaded chicken and grilled/marinated chicken with TONS of preservatives and additives.

:(  :angry:  :o

Ok, rant over. For now.

Slight positive here-- I remembered I had a tin of sardines in my locker for just this occasion and was able to add that to the salad. Consequently I was full and satisfied until hours and hours later. Glad I was able to turn a negative event into a challenge with a positive outcome using flexibility and sort of pre-planning (with the sardines in my locker that I'd stashed there for just this type of occasion).

:o  Oh man! What a bummer! But sounds like you made it through fairly well. Why was your lunch tossed? :(

I have Epic bars and nuts stashed everywhere for emergencies. In the 50 days I've been doing this, I haven't had one yet, but that's just the sort of thing I'm afraid will happen! I have little emergency kits in my office, my backpack (I walk to work), at my family farm (where we usually spend the weekend) and even in my own cabinet - who knows when I'll be stuck at home with a sick kid on the day I expected to grocery shop and have no food at home! I keep meaning to add a can of compliant veggie soup (I'll probably have to pressure can my own I guess) to work, the farm and home so that I really do have a complete meal!

Having emergency kits sounds like a really good idea. I'm sure it's why three weeks ago I'd left the tin of sardines in my locker, but at the time I was so upset that I'd forgotten about it. I'm glad I was able to buy a salad and supplement it with some protein.

We are having state inspections this week, so the housekeeping and dietary staff are going nuts with cleaning and tossing out anything that doesn't look "regulation" so out went my lunch, unfortunately. I wish I'd have realized that-- I would have stashed it in my backpack or something until the inspectors were gone, but such was not the case. Anyhow, I'll be more aware for the rest of this week until they leave!

Archived