Weight loss plateau - how to continue weight loss

How do I continue to lose weight?  I have had huge success in the first 30 days, 17.5 lbs and 16 overall inches.  I have lost 48 lbs. and 37.5 inches the first 90 days.  I have not done the reintroduction process as of yet, but have stayed at the same weight for the last week.  What can I do to kick start weight loss again?  I still have over 70 lbs. I need to lose.  

First of all know this - weight loss is not in a straight line. This is why we suggest you stay off the scale for long periods of time.  You get attached to a number.  You don't achieve said number and therefore you feel defeated. 

For instance my first whole 30 (which was a whole 45) I lost 6lbs.  But over the next 7 months I lost a total of 35lbs.  I ate between whole 30 style and paleo. If we average this out it's approximately 1lb a week.  That is a pretty good overall weight loss I would say.

Also the closer you get to your proper body weight (keep in mind this may not be the number we'd *like* it to be) the weight loss will get harder.  And if you have any outstanding health issues?  Your body is going to make them a priority before loosing anymore weight.  So the fact that you haven't lost weight this week - I wouldn't worry.  Relax.  Do not stress yourself over this.  Stress will work against you on this.  Focus on keeping calm, keeping movement going, and especially sleep.  All the rest - it will happen. 

Thank you Carlaccini ~ For some reason, staying off the scale the first 30 days was a breeze but staying off it now seems to be more difficult.  The outstanding health issues I had when I started this lifestyle seem to have subsided.  I no longer have pain in my knees (I've had 2 knee replacements), I have been able to go off 4 of the 6 prescription medications I was on.  I think I am most excited about this.  I feel great and have lots of energy.  It appears I now have to work on patience...!  I will also work on staying off the scale and not worry so much about that silly number.  Thank you for the encouragement!

Starmom, I'm on day 50 and would like to see weight loss continue as well. I also stayed off the scale the first 30 days but have become obsessed with it since. Not good! It's really important to realize it's not going to be linear and your daily weight fluctuates by several pounds. It really would be better to just weigh once a month. But I'm in that struggle with you!

• 2 weeks later...

"For instance my first whole 30 (which was a whole 45) I lost 6lbs.  But over the next 7 months I lost a total of 35lbs.  I ate between whole 30 style and paleo. If we average this out it's approximately 1lb a week.  That is a pretty good overall weight loss I would say."

Carlaccini you don't know how badly I needed to hear this! Just finished my Whole45 yesterday and took measurements today. Only 8 inches lost, and I'm sure not many lbs. I can't get on the scale because I am hard core pmsing which for me means weight gain, and I am NOT going to weigh myself for the first time during that phase. It would just crush me to see no weight lost or just a few lbs. I have a lot of lbs to lose and have been so good and trying so hard and exercising and doing pretty much everything right, so it's very discouraging to see such slow progress. I have metabolic syndrome and am in perimenopause so to say I have hormonal issues is an understatement. I would LOVE to actually lose enough weight to worry about keeping it off, but it never happens because inevitably I get frustrated and throw in the towel.

So I'm trolling the forums looking for those who have experienced slow but substantial weight loss, and yours is only the second one I've found thus far, and the only one who did a Whole45 their first go round. I NEED those success stories! I need to know that change will happen, as long as I just commit to this lifestyle long term and ease up, relax and enjoy the process. I kinda have to at this point, because my husband has had such HUGE health benefits :) My own blood pressure was 100/70 a few weeks ago. And I do have several NSV's but no Tiger Blood, which is the one NSV I want the most. 

So thanks, and I may be stalking you in the next few months for more words of encouragement. BTW, congrats on your own success and thanks for being a moderator!

Cat

• 3 weeks later...

Cattle grape, you said you've been so good, and trying so hard, and exercising and pretty much doing everything right. Then you said it's discouraging to see not much progress. The first sentence you said is HUGE progress, is it not?

I felt the exact same way when I first stepped on the scale on day 31. Disappointed. And yet, I had no sugar for 30 days! When I first heard about W30 I thought, "I could never do that, because I could never go 30 days without sweets." But I did it! It's not just about losing weight. It's about making choices that result in better health for the rest of my life.

I'm sure that if someone else had written your post, you would have encouraged them with all the positive changes they were making, right? We are so hard on ourselves! You are doing great things for your body, and they will overflow into the rest of your life. That, my friend, is progress! You deserve a big pat on the back! Keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad other's recognized the other non-scale victories that everyone has made!

I am wrapping up my second Whole30 today and I cheated and checked the scale a few times throughout this second round and was discouraged by only a loss of maybe 3 lbs (I lost about 25 lbs my first time, took a week "break" and got back on the bandwagon) but then I remembered that I've been biking a lot more in the past few weeks and my quads are getting more defined which means... HELLO MUSCLE WEIGHT GAIN! 

I am going to try to look at that as a positive and reassure myself that I am creating the building blocks so I can start running without my hip hurting again (about 2 years ago I did a half marathon and have been slacking on the running-train ever since).

We're all in this for the lifestyle change and to change our overall health.  It's not just about how much we weigh :) Keep at it everyone!

"For instance my first whole 30 (which was a whole 45) I lost 6lbs.  But over the next 7 months I lost a total of 35lbs.  I ate between whole 30 style and paleo. If we average this out it's approximately 1lb a week.  That is a pretty good overall weight loss I would say."

Carlaccini you don't know how badly I needed to hear this! Just finished my Whole45 yesterday and took measurements today. Only 8 inches lost, and I'm sure not many lbs. I can't get on the scale because I am hard core pmsing which for me means weight gain, and I am NOT going to weigh myself for the first time during that phase. It would just crush me to see no weight lost or just a few lbs. I have a lot of lbs to lose and have been so good and trying so hard and exercising and doing pretty much everything right, so it's very discouraging to see such slow progress. I have metabolic syndrome and am in perimenopause so to say I have hormonal issues is an understatement. I would LOVE to actually lose enough weight to worry about keeping it off, but it never happens because inevitably I get frustrated and throw in the towel.

So I'm trolling the forums looking for those who have experienced slow but substantial weight loss, and yours is only the second one I've found thus far, and the only one who did a Whole45 their first go round. I NEED those success stories! I need to know that change will happen, as long as I just commit to this lifestyle long term and ease up, relax and enjoy the process. I kinda have to at this point, because my husband has had such HUGE health benefits :) My own blood pressure was 100/70 a few weeks ago. And I do have several NSV's but no Tiger Blood, which is the one NSV I want the most. 

So thanks, and I may be stalking you in the next few months for more words of encouragement. BTW, congrats on your own success and thanks for being a moderator!

Cat

Hi Cat!  I here you totally on the hormonal issues - I wrecked my hormones officially about 12 years ago by going on a super restrictive diet of 800 to 1200 cals a day (taking "supplements" to help me not be hungry).  That was a huge stress on my already semi messed up system.  I'm a 5'9" stocky, large built woman.  1200 cals is already very restrictive for a 5'1" petite woman who is not active.  But someone my build and my size it spells disaster for my hormones.  I have spent the last 4 years crawling out of this hole.  Whole 30 has helped tremendously.  I finally coming to a place where my hormones are starting to fire somewhat normally again.  

So be patient and most of all be kind to your body.  I have worked a ton on body acceptance as well - I need to respect the body that I was given instead of mentally beating it down.   I never weight myself unless I'm mentally in a space before hand where I know the number on the scale will not change my personal opinion of my awesomeness.

Focus in on the NSV - they will help.  Society still tells me that I need to lose a lot of weight.  However I refuse to fight my body any more.  Don't forget to look back on your journey and realize how far you have come!

Archived