I feel like I might be eating too much

I am currently on day 4 and I feel like I may be eating too much.  My stomach still feels kinda big and bloated and I am wondering if it is the portion size. Can someone tell me if I am eating too much or on the right track?

I am still having cravings for sugar so I am hoping to wean more and more off the fruit, but right now I feel like it is the only thing keeping me from falling off the wagon. 

Here is what I plan to eat today:

Breakfast:

-2 eggs

-handful fresh spinach, sauteed

-handful of fresh diced tomato, sauteed

-Half an avocado

Lunch:

-Mixed greens as base for salad

-grilled chicken breast

-palms worth of roasted diced sweet potato

-palms worth of diced jicama

-olive oil, vinegar, and lemon dressing 

Snacks:

-Banana

-half cup of mango, half cup of blueberries, topped with some coconut milk (about 1/4-1/3 of can)

Dinner:

-Salmon filet

-roasted veggies (bell peppers, onion, tomato)

What do you think?  I already ate breakfast and am feeling satisfied for now.  Am I eating the right amount of protein?  Help! 

Your breakfast looks light on protein... When eggs are the only source of protein in a meal you should eat the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand - usually 3-4 for a female. You're also very light on veg - spinach reduces down to very little when chewed so you need to eat a tonne of it for it to amount to anything.

Lunch looks better, dinner looks to be missing fat - both look to be short on veg.

I reckon if you increased the size of breakfast you'd cut out the need for those snacks - fruit really shouldn't be eaten on it's own as a snack as it only serves to feed your sugar dragon, hence your continued cravings.

If you want to eat fruit, add it to the end of a meal, or sprinkle some berries in your salad.

Re the bloating it would be more helpful to see what you've eaten over the past few days to try to pinpoint the cause.....

Actually I would argue with you that you are not eating enough.  The fact that you need a snack tells me this.  Your meals look well composed though.  So it's a matter of eating more.

For example: for eggs generally it's the number of whole eggs that you can hold in one hand without dropping them.  For most women that is at least 3 to 4.

You should aim for at least 1 - 3 cups of vegetables with every meal.  So if it's a leafy veg like spinach it should be at least a tub full of spinach as when it cooks down it maybe counts for a 1/2 cup.  

Aim for a fist sized starchy veg a day. Not palm.  Palm sized is for protein.  And you are going for at least the length, width and height of your palm.  Not your friends palm, or someone else's idea of a palm.

Also avoid snacking on fruit by itself.  Generally you set yourself up for a sugar crash later on, and hunger early on.  If you really and truly need a snack as in I am really and truly hungry right now, then snack on protein, vegetables, and fat - or any 2 out of those 3.

Lastly I think I can point you in the direction on why you might be feeling bloated a bit lately.  If this meal template is normal for you, you are consuming quite a bit of FODMAP's fruits and veggies.  Now FODMAP's are perfectly good for you vegetables.  It's just that when you consume more than normal - you system gets overloaded and ummm ... rebels.  Usually in the form of gas and bloatyness.   I have high lighted the FODMAP's in your meals.  Usually you can control the bloated feeling simply by cutting back on these types of veggies.  Everyone level of acceptance on these items are different.  

Breakfast:

-2 eggs

-handful fresh spinach, sauteed

-handful of fresh diced tomato, sauteed

-Half an avocado

Lunch:

-Mixed greens as base for salad

-grilled chicken breast

-palms worth of roasted diced sweet potato

-palms worth of diced jicama

-olive oil, vinegar, and lemon dressing 

Snacks:

-Banana

-half cup of mango, half cup of blueberries, topped with some coconut milk (about 1/4-1/3 of can)

Dinner:

-Salmon filet

-roasted veggies (bell peppers, onion, tomato)

What do you think?  I already ate breakfast and am feeling satisfied for now.  Am I eating the right amount of protein?  Help! 

Archived