My Fifth Whole30 (starting 5/30/16)

This is my fifth go, and while I've completed 4 Whole30s over the past few years, each one had some caveats. Either I relaxed on added sugar in bacon, had ONE SWYPO dessert, etc. I want to do this one by the book! And I want to be very meticulous about my reintros, as I have always gone LEAPING from the wagon the moment a bite of gluten or sugar hits my mouth after 30 days.

I started yesterday.

M1: 2 fried eggs, sautéed spinach, drizzle of ghee, coffee with coconut millk & cinnamon

M2: romaine lettuce with canned pink salmon mixed with homemade mayo, coconut milk, and homemade ranch spice blend. One banana

M3: 1/5 lb burger patty, jicama sticks with homemade guacamole. Some fresh cherries. (I overdid it a little on the guac and cherries! But I was at a cookout and wasn’t much else I could eat.)

I know I had too much fruit yesterday - I want to limit fruit to one serving a day, if at all. Today I will get some sweet potatoes cooked to have on hand for the week to get my carbs that way.

5/31/16

M1: Roasted broccoli & cauliflower, 2 fried eggs, coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: Burger patty, guacamole, 2 jicama sticks, sweet potato hash

M3: Broiled salmon, sautéed zucchini, a few sautéed zucchini blossoms

Had a cup of Yogi Bedtime tea later that night

Experiencing a bit of digestive distress, nothing too terrible. 

6/1/16 - Day 2

M1: 2 1/2 fried eggs (husband didn’t finish all of his), sweet potato hash, spoonful of guacamole, coffee w/ cinnamon & coconut milk

M2: Burger patty, guacamole, sautéed zucchini, decaf coffee with coconut milk

M3: Salmon, sautéed zucchini, drizzle of ghee, La Croix

6/2/16 - Day 4

I was REALLY tired when I woke up this morning. I really had to drag myself around. And at work, my computer monitors are WAY too bright. I have a slight headache trying to appear. Kind of wavering between being slightly nauseous and hungry.

M1: 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hash, sautéed kale with lemon juice, coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: Burger patty topped with almond butter, some toasted coconut flakes, and 2 carrots. Very odd, but it was good. I left my homemade mayo at my parents’ house 30 miles away this weekend. :(

Pre-workout Snack: Small apple with homemade almond/cashew butter. Yes, I know this is not the prescribed pre-workout meal template. But the protein+fat combo makes me nauseous during workout every time I try it that way. 

My (Crossfit-style-but-lighter) workout went really well. I wasn’t expecting much of myself since I’da been on vacation for a week and working out very little, but I felt like I did well and didn’t even feel as spent as I usually do after that workout.

M3: Taco-seasoned ground beef with shredded Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, and a little spinach. I spiced it up with compliant salsa verde and coconut amigos. YUM YUM!

I felt like my temper was really short when dealing with my 5YO last night. It is a lot of the time anyway, but worse than usual last night. (Kill all the things?)

6/3/16 - Day 5

M1: 3 scrambled eggs with sautéed kale and shredded sweet potato, with a bit of sauerkraut and coconut aminos, coffee w/ coconut milk.

M2: I went out with a friend who is also doing W30. She had quizzed a nearby local restaurant on compliant options, and we ordered salads with chicken breast and a Greek dressing consisting of only olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs. Unfortunately, they mistakenly put the feta cheese on our salads, and we chose to pick most off instead of sending them back. Since the cheese was very crumbly, and I definitely missed some and ate a little, I’ll push back dairy reintro until later. :) 

D5 M3 - D7 M3: Since Day 5 was Friday, and I only have a computer at work, I didn’t keep track very well of my weekend meals. I stayed compliant but my meals weren’t as regular as I would have liked.

Monday 6/6/16 - Day 8

I feel like CRAP today - very little energy or motivation, slight headache. :( This morning was stressful. It was really hard to wake up so I slept 20 mins late, then had to cook breakfast PLUS season and sear a beef roast to put in the Crock pot. I eat home-cooked paleo meals 90% of the time, so not sure why it feels so much harder now that I’m back ON the W30.

I do feel I need to work on sleep habits. No more screens after 9:30.

M1: 2 fried eggs, sautéed kale with lemon juice, coffee with cinnamon and coconut milk

PWO Snack: 2 very small apples, almond butter

M2: 2 grilled chicken drumsticks, mashed sweet potato

M3: Roast beef, roasted cauliflower

I did feel better in the evening. Not super energetic but still motivated to clean up a lot more than usual. :)

Day 9 - 6/7/16

Didn’t feel too bad this morning, even though I slept horribly. (Dog kept waking me up.) Maybe I get too MUCH sleep sometimes?

M1: 2 fried eggs, sautéed kale with lemon juice. (I am getting sick of kale but my garden’s full of it.)

Had to go to a funeral out of town late in the morning, so I brought snacks to hold me over, which I ate. Some carrot sticks, an apple, raw cashews. Then at the church-provided lunch afterward I found some sliced cucumbers to munch on. Then got back to work to eat my lunch which I’d left in the fridge. :)

M2: Leftover roast beef, mashed sweet potato.

M3: Zoodles with meatballs and compliant spaghetti sauce.

Again, I had a lot of energy in the evening and got a lot of stuff done. :D (It may have helped that my parents kept my 5YO most of the evening!)

Day 10 - 6/8/16

Woke up tired again. Dog is waking me up all during the night like a newborn! :(

On the bright side, my pants are fitting more loosely.

M1: A tasty breakfast experiment! I sautéed leftover veg (shredded Brussels sprouts, kale, roasted cauliflower) with a bit of roast beef in a small cast iron skillet, added spaghetti sauce, cracked 3 eggs over it and stuck it in the oven til the eggs were cooked. Sort of like “eggs in purgatory” but not as much sauce.

M2: Eating at a restaurant with my W30 partner. The chef specially cooked us chicken breast with only salt and pepper (no oil) and put it on a salad. My coworker brought dressing we used. :) Afterward we split a Larabar. I know those are supposed to be emergency food, but the salads were pretty small, so I wasn’t full, and everyone else was eating baby shower cake! :)

M3: Leftover roast beef, roasted cauliflower, frozen steamed green beans with ghee & coconut aminos.

Day went pretty well. I felt much more focused than usual. (Was that the 2 large glasses of unsweet tea I had at lunch?) And my patience with my child is better.

Day 11 - 6/9/16

Slept a lot better last night. Still waking up kind of tired though.

I think I will track last night’s sleep here to keep up with things. (This is per my Fitbit.)

10:50-6:07

6 hr 38 min

M1: Another of the previous day’s breakfast experiment. This time Brussels, roast beef, onion, spaghetti sauce, 2 eggs.

M2: Leftover cauliflower, green beans, and roast beef. Soon after I had an apple with almond butter and I definitely feel like that snack was all sugar dragon and no hunger. :/

M3: More leftover roast beef and green beans. A little later, had some crispy smashed potatoes (had to wait for them to cook, was too hungry to wait and eat everything together).

Last evening I did not feel as motivated with doing chores at home as I have been, but wasn’t totally lazy. I did do a workout which I did well during (got a few double unders!) but had to substitute my burpees for squats halfway through because I’m starting to feel a weird pain in one shoulder. :(

Day 12 - 6/10/16

Very bad morning! Felt OK but was a very bad mommy. Very short temper. We'll just leave it at that.

M1: scrambled eggs (consisting of 2 whites and 2 whole eggs because I used yolks to make mayo) with broccoli greens and half an avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk.

I had a VERY tough workout before lunch, probably went heavier than I should have with the barbells! Did not do a pre-workout meal, but ate an apple right after. I was very hot and nauseous and did not want to eat my hot lunch yet.

M2: Zoodles with meatballs and spaghetti sauce. A few raw cashews.

M3: Burger with sliced carrots and cucumber and a dollop of mayo.

Later that night I had an apple with almond butter. It's becoming my comfort food!

6/11/16 - Day 13

M1: Did not have much of a real breakfast. (I know, I know.) Coffee with coconut milk, 2 meatballs. Later, right before lunch, I ate a little sliced carrot and cucumber.

M2: Greek salad with chicken. (Compliant at a local restaurant when ordered with no cheese!) When I got home, I made some crispy smashed potatoes and ate some of that.

Later had a snack of an apple with almond butter. I am just going to have to stop making almond butter. :)

M3: Sauteed broccoli with their greens, red onion, roast beef topped with roasted red pepper sauce from the Whole30 book. SO GOOD! I had a very small amount of seconds but I want more now, an hour later!

I am feeling very EAT ALL THE THINGS! Resisting it so far. Maybe the intense workout yesterday?

6/12/16 - Day 14

Last night I did end up eating a few more spoonfuls of almond butter.... My body is intensely sore (still) from Fri's workout so I'm trying to be easy on myself. Although now that I think about it, I bet my lack of good breakfast yesterday also threw my appetite off for the entire day. (I've noticed this before when eating too little breakfast!)

M1: Back on track - 2 eggs over easy, roast beef, sauteed kale, some leftover smashed potatoes. 2 cups of coffee with coconut milk & cinnamon.

M2: Out by the pool, I munched on canned salmon w/ mayo, sliced carrots and cucumber.

Had an apple with almond butter for a snack when we got home. I know, I know! But that was my last apple and the last of the nut butter.

M3: Finished up the roast beef with broccoli & greens and red pepper sauce.

Didn’t get slammed in the face with sweets/snacks cravings last night like I had before… :)

MEAL LOG

6/13/16 - Day 15

Halfway point :) Something strange is happening this W30. My period is starting about a week late.

The first W30 I ever did, I lost my period for a few months. But all the subsequent ones have not affected my cycle, until now! Strange.

M1: Sautéed kale, smashed potatoes, diced Aidell’s chicken apple sausage, 1 egg over easy. Coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: Burger patty, carrot sticks, a bit of red onion, mayo mixed with red pepper sauce

I worked out but was not prepared enough to have a PWO snack.

I felt very focused and motivated at work this afternoon! And I never felt that 2 or 3pm sleepiness I always get.

M3: sautéed zucchini, potatoes, onion, and pepper with ground beef and spaghetti sauce.

I had a SPLITTING headache this night! Not sure what's going on with that.

6/14/16 - Day 16

Had a real pleasant morning. Took a lot of fighting and consoling, but we got our kid to sleep without any TV on in her room last night, so she fell asleep a little earlier. We are working on breaking this TV-in-bed habit we developed over the years to actually keep her in bed (she is scared in her room alone with no TV!) I could definitely tell a difference this morning in her mood and energy.

M1: Aidell’s chicken apple sausage, 1 scrambled egg, half an avocado, sautéed peppers and kale, coffee w/ coconut milk

My fuse is really short at work today! Typical frustrations are REALLY getting to me. (PMS?)

M2: Burger patty, some roasted potatoes. (Left my mayo at work, boo.)

Ate a few nuts from my purse at work because lunch wasn’t enough to keep my full the whole afternoon….

M3: I went to a local real-food potluck. I brought a compliant veggie side dish (kale & sweet potato salad) and an Aidell’s sausage just for myself to ensure I’d have compliant food. I did try some things that I believe were compliant: mango salsa, fermented kohlrabi, salad with homemade vinaigrette. I also ate a little bit of pork that tasted a little sweet, so may have had added sugar, so I only ate a little. I ate a banana for dessert. :)

6/15/16 - Day 17

Another rough morning with my kid, even though she got the same amount of sleep as the night before! So frustrating trying to figure out what makes them tick!

M1: 3 scrambled eggs w/ ghee, sautéed kale, orange bell pepper, and a little bit of diced roasted potato, coffee w/ cinnamon & coconut milk

M2: I forgot to turn on my lunch crock pot before going to my noon workout so I ate an Epic bar PWO! About an hour later, lunch was leftovers from the other day: ground beef, spaghetti sauce, zucchini, potatoes.

M3: Salad with romaine from my garden, orange bell pepper, raw squash, paleo ranch, grilled chicken 

MEAL LOG

6/16/16 - Day 18

M1: 2 fried eggs, kale, roasted potato, orange bell pepper (sautéed), coffee with coconut milk & cinnamon

M2: Burger patty, lettuce, red onion, mayo mixed with salsa verde. And I had a decaf coffee w/ coconut milk (iced)

I’ve gotten headache/neckache this afternoon. Excess coffee? Too much staring down at my phone instead of actually working? Who knows!

I do have to say my focus & mood have been incredible the past couple days until now. I have not been focused this afternoon, but I mostly blame that on having finished my big project of the moment yesterday, and don’t have anything extremely pressing right now.

M3: Ground beef lightly seasoned with spaghetti sauce, sautéed zucchini & yellow squash & roasted potato. Splashed some coconut aminos on there. Biggest surprise was that my kid actually liked it.

I felt extremely drained last night. I wonder if my body’s missing fruit? I don’t know. I’m also starting my period so that could be a factor. I took the night off and left dirty dishes everywhere, laundry unfolded, and litter boxes unscooped. I just laid in bed with my kid most of the night. I’ll regret all that tonight, but I needed it.

Also think I should give up the decaf coffees after lunch. They never taste as good as that first coffee in the morning, and even decaf that late affects my sleep that night!

6/17/16 - Day 19

Period starting today, and the cramps are there but not quite as strong as they have been, and they only lasted a couple hours (instead of the usual half a day or more)

M1: 1 fried egg, Aidell’s sausage, roasted potatoes over a bed of lettuce, with mayo + salsa verde dressing, coffee with coconut milk

Had a coffee shop meeting with a coworker, where I had another cup & a half of coffee with coconut milk (I brought my own in a small jar)

M2: Leftover beef, spaghetti sauce, squash, and potato sauté.

M3: Chocolate chili from the freezer, with sauteed squash and red onion, some roasted Brussels sprouts

6/18/16 - Day 20

I really feel like the Tiger Blood phase has come. Yesterday at work, I never felt the usual urge to go to sleep that I do around 2 or 3pm. And it wasn't because I got the best sleep ever the previous night, because I didn't!

M1: 4 scrambled eggs (I was hungry!), sauteed squash + onion, coffee with coconut milk

I ate breakfast really early, and did a lot of shopping that morning, so I ate an apple around 10.

M2: Salad with grilled chicken, cucumber, carrots, green lettuce, mayo + salsa verde as dressing

Went to a birthday pool party, and brought with me La Croix cans and a bag of Rainier cherries. I ate a few of those just to be eating when everyone else was :)

M3: Mashed sweet potato topped with chocolate chili and caramelized onions, some roasted Brussels sprouts

6/19/16 - Day 21 (Sunday)

M1: 2-3 scrambled eggs, I can’t remember what veg I had with them! But it was something. And it was W30. And coffee with coconut milk, of course.

I had some more coffee with coconut milk and some cherries at our post-church coffee hour. I left the cherries there to share because I think they are messing with my sugar dragon.

Sometime this morning I got hit by a wave of depression. It was rough and the first time I’d felt that way in a long time. I had to lie down for a while, then forced myself through the other chores I needed to get done that day.

M2: Part of a chicken breast and mashed sweet potato.

M3: I did a cookout at my parents’ house and we played in the pool all afternoon, which did wonders for my soul. Steak kabobs with squash, pineapple, peppers, and onion, and ribs with a homemade compliant dry-rub.

6/20/16 - Day 21 (Mon)

M1: I sautéed leftover veg & pineapple from kabob-making with a little ground beef and a scrambled egg. Doused everything in coconut aminos. Oh my heavens.

PWO: One Pink Lady apple

M2: mashed sweet potato topped with chocolate chili and a few Brussels sprouts. 

M3: Leftover kabobs

Good evening last night, felt pretty good and got a lot done.

One symptom that seems to have gotten worse on the W30 is post-nasal drip. :/

6/21/16 - Day 22 (Tue)

M1: 2 fried eggs, mashed sweet potato, a few Brussels sprouts, coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: Greek salad with chicken from City Bagel (compliant!), unsweetened tea (2 glasses)

Good focus at work today! Nothing pressing is going on, so I knocked out some unimportant tasks that had been on the back burner forEVER.

M3: Leftover kabob stuff :)

Another good night! Got kid to sleep before 8:30!

Day 23 - 6/22/16 (Wed)

M1: 3 scrambled eggs, half an avocado, handful of blueberries

M2: broccoli, 4 beef meatballs, a few roasted radishes, apple

M3: Life happened yesterday, so I ate an Epic bar in the ER. (Everyone is OK.) Later, I had my actual dinner of a few meatballs and some mashed sweet potato.

Later that night, I stress-ate an apple and some cashews. Sorry! 

Day 25 - 6/23/16 (Thu)

I just realized I was off on my days - I’m one day closer to the end than I thought.

M1: 3 scrambled eggs, handful of blueberries, 1 small avocado, coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: Broccoli, ghee, 4 beef meatballs

Mid-afternoon snack: one apple

Had a workout between these 2 meals without any pre or post. (it took a while to get home and get M3 below made.) Still felt pretty great.

M3: Lettuce boats with grilled chicken, carrots, cucumbers. red onion. and cauli rice topped with a dressing made from PK mayo, lemon juice, and coconut milk.

My energy is still good. I’m eager/nervous to see what happens when reintros start!

Day 26 - 6/24/16 (Fri)

M1: 3 scrambled eggs, shredded sweet potato, blueberries, coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: 4 beef meatballs over cauli rice with some roasted radishes

Apple

M3: Ate at a restaurant- had a plain ribeye, salad with lemon juice & EVOO, and veggies cooked in olive oil. I ate an apple a little later that night.

Day 27 - Sat 6/25/16

M1: 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hash with cauli rice

Ate one apple mid-morning because I was hungry!

M2: Lettuce boats with complaint sliced roast beef, mayo, avocado, cucumber, sauerkraut

Ate several cucumber slices before I got home for dinner

M3: Roast beef with carrots & new potatoes

Archived