My Fifth Whole30 (starting 5/30/16)

Day 28 - Sun 6/26/16

I am going to try going a few days without eggs to see if I may have any sensitivities. I read somewhere that they can cause post-nasal drip, which plagues me on and off the W30. (I will still eat mayo, just not any other eggs.)

M1: Chicken apple sausage, sweet potato/cauli rice hash

M2: Chicken salad (PK mayo, chicken, green apple, cucumber) on lettuce boats with chopped almonds

Snack: apple & almonds, a few bites of a peach I fixed my kid

M3: Hamburger soup (ground beef, chicken bone broth, carrot, sweet potato, onion) topped with avocado

NO-EGG EXPERIMENT UPDATE:

The first 2 days, I’ve had slightly less post-nasal drip, but today I had to hack up some stuff. (Sorry for being gross.) Definitely not enough of an improvement to swear off eggs forever (if that’s even what it is - sometimes the drip is less than other times anyway!)

I wish I had done this experiment another time, because I worry about reintroducing eggs tomorrow when I also wanted to reintroduce a non-Whole30 food, such as dairy. I think I will go ahead and get the eggs out of the way and just stay Whole30 until the next reintro day. It hasn’t been very long without eggs, but I have some left in my fridge and don’t want to waste them. I may try this again sometime without having eggs around :)

DAY 30! Tue, 6/28/16

M1: Chicken apple sausage, kale, sweet potato hash, topped with some peach salsa, coffee w/ coconut milk.

I had a second cup of coffee (not decaf) later that morning, with Nutpods creamer.

M2: Hamburger soup (leftover from the other day), topped with some peach salsa (everything I eat for the next few days will probably be topped with peach salsa because YUM)

M3: Roast beef with carrots & potatoes, steamed broccoli with ghee and chives

I had a headache yesterday afternoon. Blaming not great sleep last night and extra coffee. I took a Tylenol and I swear it almost felt like I'd taken hydrocodone. I felt kind of loopy and numb. Can W30 make you more sensitive to drugs?

I think I will continue logging my reintroductions here, as I consider it part of the W30.

Day 31 - 6/29/16

Since it’s Day 31, I weighed and measured. Weight loss was not my primary goal for this round, but I enjoy quantitative data. :)

I forgot to weigh myself before starting this W30, so I did so on

Day 1 - 5/31/16 (after breakfast - meant to do it before but forgot)

160 lbs

Waist (around belly button) 37"

Day 31 a 6/29/16 (before breakfast)

149 lbs

Waist - 29"

Reintro Day 1 - Non-gluten grains

M1: Oatmeal* with a little ghee & honey (it was gross!), a couple pieces of bacon and 2 fried eggs topped with peach salsa, and my coconut milk coffee, blended with a little ghee today

Just as an experiment, I measured my waist again after the oatmeal breakfast: 35"

Weight: 151-152 lbs (I have an analog scale!)

That’s a 6” difference from one meal! I’d never measured myself before and after a meal before now, so it may be that eating ANY food will expand my waist that much. I’m going to try this again tomorrow when I’m back to eating W30 style.

*Side note: my oatmeal was not gluten-free. So that could have tampered with things a bit. But non-GF oats have TRACE amounts of the stuff, if any, so I still feel confident moving forward and reintroducing “actual” gluten at a later date.

Post-Workout: 2 large figs

M2: Roast beef with steamed broccoli and some corn. The corn actually tasted very good, unlike the oatmeal!

I feel VERY full now, a little bloated, although my lunch was about the same amount as usual, PLUS corn, so could be the extra volume of food!

Now being hit with some major constipation. No bueno.

M3 was leftover hamburger soup with some peach salsa and I threw just a little corn in their to round out my reintro.

Day 32 - 6/30/16

I think I will skip logging my meals for the non-reintro days. I want to break the habit of logging my food, since it’s not something I think I should do in my day-to-day life-after-Whole30. 

I will keep track of any symptoms, feelings, etc. here that may be related to my reintros. Stay tuned….

Day 33 - 7/1/16 (Fri)

I still feel a little more pudgy now than I did earlier this week, before adding back grains. Not sure if it’s the grains themselves or having eaten slightly larger portions in general during the past few days than earlier in the week.

Either way, I don’t intend to eat these grains on a regular basis. I may eat rice some, although I didn’t test it, I have felt good eating it in the past while eating otherwise mostly W30. And I definitely want the occasional taco with corn tortillas. :)

Tomorrow I will be reintroducing alcohol, in the form of a glass of wine and a hard cider at a friend’s house. 

Sunday I plan to be back on W30, but will be eating out of town for lunch, but I will try to keep what I order as W30 as possible.

So far so good! Although temptation has been stronger, since mentally I know I'm not *ON* the Whole30 anymore... But I'm still trying to give the reintro process the same respect.

I did eat 2 bananas in a row last night. It was partially a sweets craving and partially feeling a little bit hungry. I'd eaten a good supper but it was later into the night - I'd stayed up a little later than usual because a friend is visiting from out of state. (She loved my buffalo chicken sweet potato pasta I made for supper! So nice to have people in my house other than me enjoying my food.)

I woke up this morning with a small amount of evidence of possible eczema returning to a spot on my finger that had plagued me in the past... Just a couple tiny bumps. Not sure if it's related to food in any way, but figure it's worth tracking...

Reintro - Alcohol (Sat 7/2/16)

I did not need to "reintroduce" alcohol to know alcohol makes me feel like crap. But I did anyway for the sake of drinking with friends, which is just dang worth it every once in a while.

After my last W30, I made a rule for myself that I would only drink outside of the home, or with friends who were visiting my home. It's just never fun enough to be worth it with just me and/or my husband. I'm comfortable enough around him that I don't need any social lubricant to loosen up. Now granted, between then and now I had broken that rule a couple times. But I think I will recommit to it now.

Last night I drank one hard cider, and a few glasses of red wine. It was only about halfway through that cider that I started brain-farting a lot more than usual - forgetting what I wanted to say while waiting for someone else to finish talking, etc. And my post-nasal drip issues got a lot worse early in the evening - I was hocking up stuff in my throat so bad that my friends asked if I was OK.

And of course I felt pretty crummy when I got up this morning. Upset stomach, slight dull headache. I slept later than I wanted. (I had intended to get up early and do a workout today, that did not happen.) I probably would have felt a lot worse, but I did make myself drink a big glass of water before bed.

Yesterday didn't go quite as planned. We went out of town to see a musical, got turned around on the way, therefore arrived too late to eat lunch beforehand. Luckily I had enough snacks so I wasn't hangry. 

During intermission, my mom and daughter got smoothies and popcorn. I tasted one sip each of their smoothies, and was successful in resisting further tastes, even though I was thirsty and had nothing else to drink. The sugar hit from just those sips was intense. I frankly knew I didn't want to feel any more of that. I did not consider at the time that the smoothies may have contained dairy! :(

After the show (around 3) we had a late lunch, and I was not up to the task of being a Whole30 customer, so I just ordered the safest sounding thing on the menu that sounded good. (Salmon with some kind of salsa, mashed potatoes, and fried Brussels sprouts with bacon.) Come to think of it, the mashed potatoes could have had milk. I don't know if they did but they were good. The sprouts were doused in some kind of sweet sauce that may have contained soy sauce, not sure. At this point I realized I'd probably already consumed several things I was supposed to be waiting to reintroduce this day already. Figured it was best at this point to alter my schedule to just Whole30 a few more days before doing more reintro. So when mom ordered a banana creme brulee for dessert, I figured I may as well taste one bite. And I did. And it was good, but not good enough for me to want more. (One Bite Rule mastery! What I've been working and waiting for! Hope I can keep it up.)

So after that meal, which wasn't a huge meal at all, I felt abnormally full, a bit bloated. I developed a headache on the 2+ hour drive home. Not sure if food is to blame for that, it was a really stressful day overall. I arrived home very cranky, so cranky I drank the one hard cider I still had chilled from the other night. Yes, I already broke the no-drinking-at-home-without-guests rule. And it didn't help much. It just made me eat a bunch of almond butter for no reason.

So I learned some lessons yesterday. I definitely think I reacted to something in my lunch, not sure if it was dairy or something else. I'm looking forward to W30ing the next few days or so (until I get back to Tiger Blood status) then continuing reintros with gluten and dairy so see what's up!

Yesterday did not go exactly as planned but I am OK with most aspects of that.

We had a little cookout at my parents’ house. I brought some hot dogs with clean ingredients (they’d be W30 without the evap cane juice), but my dad was making BBQ’ed chicken and ribs. I checked the ingredients on the seasoning he used, and it was terrible. Sugar, MSG, soybean oil. How (and why) do they even put soybean oil into a dry rub?????

So I had my good hot dogs, but at some point I decided to relax since it’s a holiday and just eat the BBQ. I had also brought cole slaw I made with PK mayo, mostly W30 except for a little honey. That and a lot of watermelon was mostly what I ate. I did eat WAY too much and got WAY too full.

I did have another One Bite Rule victory. I tasted one bite of my mom’s dessert trifle made of Oreos and cream cheese. It was good and I honestly could have enjoyed more but decided I better not. (I filled up on watermelon instead.)

I also stayed up too late last night. We got home about 30 mins before my bedtime, and my husband started the next episode of a show I like which is an hour long. I gave in to the temptation to stay up and watch. Now I am very tired and bloated this morning! But happy to be back on plan.

I think I’ll wait until the weekend before any more reintros…

Last night I reintroduced dairy, in the form of a really small serving of Haagen Dazs vanilla chocolate chip. (I think it’s like a half-pint.) The ingredients didn’t have any soy or anything so I think it was a good choice. I slowly savored, but when it was gone I still felt “snacky”. So I ate a slice of cheese, you know, to round out the dairy reintro. :) It was NOT a high-quality, clean cheese… lots of ingredients, but didn’t see any soy or anything I think would screw up reintros.

At about 3AM I awoke and could not go back to sleep for about 2 hours. And today I have some body aches. (The body aches may be from the poor sleep.)

Archived