Still exhausted and on day 32

tanis

I started my whole30 on 9/4, I've been totally compliant, but I still haven't got that "awesome" feeling yet. The last 1-2 weeks I've been tired and have just not felt that great. I also haven't really seen any changes in the way my clothes are fitting, I weighed and measured myself yesterday (the end of 30 days) and I had lost 5 pounds and an inch in my waist, but all my other measuements either stayed the same or went up. I'm actually feeling fatter around my stomach area. :( I'm already overweight, I am 202 lbs and 5'4".

I was exhausted all weekend and had no motivation to do anything, I had a headache for 2 days and my stomach didn't feel good at all. I just took it easy all weekend. On Monday and Tuesday I felt like I had more energy and felt "normal". Last night after I ate dinner my stomach wasn't happy again and today I feel absolutely exhausted.

I was thinking that maybe I was eating too much fat, so I cut some out yesterday and now I'm feeling like this again today. So now I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough. Below is what I have ate the last couple days:

Monday:

Breakfast: coffee w/ 1/2 cup cocnut milk; 1 chicken drumstick & roasted beets (w/coconut oil); 1/2 banana

Lunch: roasted veggies (w/coconut oil) w/ground beef and Roa's spaghetti sauce, 100 cal wholly guacamole pack

snack: apple and almond butter

Dinner: Curry pork (Fat: coconut oil, coconut milk, pork was fatty) (nom nom paleo recipe)

Tuesday:

Breakfast: Curry pork (Fat: coconut oil, coconut milk, pork was fatty) (nom nom paleo recipe)

2 cups of coffee with 1 cup coconut milk

Lunch: roasted veggies (w/coconut oil) w/ground beef and Roa's spaghetti sauce, 100 cal wholly guacamole pack; apple

Dinner: Thai beef stew (made with pork; has coconut oil and coconut milk) (nom nom paleo recipe)

Wednesday:

Breakfast: 1/2 banana; Curry pork (Fat: coconut oil, coconut milk, pork was fatty) (nom nom paleo recipe)

Lunch: Chipotle carnitas salad with pico and guacamole

Dinner: Thai beef stew (made with pork; has coconut oil and coconut milk) (nom nom paleo recipe)

So far today:

Breakfast: 1/2 banana Curry pork (Fat: coconut oil, coconut milk, pork was fatty) (nom nom paleo recipe)

Snack: apple and almond butter

Lunch: Thai beef stew (made with pork; has coconut oil and coconut milk) (nom nom paleo recipe)

Up until today I haven't been very active, today my husband and I walked for 45 minutes this morning. Any ideas on things I should change?

I also should have mentioned I'm sleeping good at night. I slept good prior to whole30 and for about 2 weeks in the middle of my 30 days I started waking up around 2-3am and couldn't go back to sleep, but I'm back to sleeping soundly through the night again. I'm usually asleep anywhere between 9-10 and up between 5-6. There have been some days that I have been super tired and go to bed as soon as my 2 year old does at 8:00.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that my legs and arms feel really heavy. That's the only way I can think of to describe. It's not all the time, but I started noticing it about a week into my whole30.

I'm post whole 30 and I've been having some sort of digestive issues this week.

Not sure on the energy issues, but I can relate to the stomach issues.

A few weeks ago I was awake in the middle of the night two nights with stomach pain or heartburn. I'm really not familiar with these issues as I've never had issues like this. Any way I got through those and learned via the internet that heartburn can actually be caused by lack of acid. Interesting..

This week I had stomach issues on Mon and Tues afternoon. Basically felt like I was either going to throw up or need to sit on the toilet. It was like something was undigested and making me quesy. No dinner either night. UGGGH. I've cut back on some fat and started trying digestive enzymes. I'm not a "pill popper" so this is out of the norm for me. I seem to be doing better, so I'm not sure if it's diet (less fat) or the enzymes. I'll stick with the enzymes and adjust my diet back to see. I had bacon this morning without issue.

In my curry and my stew... there is roasted winter squash in both of them. I usually roast some butternut squash on Sundays so I can have that to eat during the week. Usually I will eat it in the morning with a couple tablespoons of coconut milk and cinnamon, or have it with my lunch or dinner. If I don't have squash, then I will have sweet potato.

I don't know about the energy issue, as I am still lacking in that department, but as for the stomach issue...have you tried cutting out the coconut milk? I found out early on that too much coconut milk can cause my stomach to cramp up and send me to the bathroom. If I just have a bit in my coffee in the morning and make the occasional coconut milk laden dish, I am ok. But if I eat more than one coconut milk dish in one day or just get too much overall, I have issues. I have never had that problem with the coconut oil, just the milk. It's worth a try to cut it out for a few days and see anyway.

This sounds a little more like a stomach bug than a W30 food issue to me. The lack of energy throughout the program is one thing, but it really sounds like you might have come down with something over the weekend. I know there is a drawn out sort of tummy bug going around in several areas...

How active are you, in general. Do you work out? Do you eat squash or sweet potatoes every day?

I haven't been active at all during the first 30 days of my whole30. I work a desk job, so pretty sedentary. This next 30 days I'm adding activity in and walked yesterday. I do have squash or sweet potato every day.

I'm definitely wondering if you're eating enough. You don't list portion sizes of your food, so it's hard for me to determine one way or the other.

Additionally, try to vary your fat sources. I see a lot of coconut milk and coconut oil, which isn't BAD...but some people are sensitive to it, so it may be the cause of your digestive issues.

Where are you located, btw, and are you supplementing with Vitamin D? If you're in the northeast, we've reached that time of the year where we can't synthesize Vit D from sunlight anymore until April. If you're in the northeast, or along the same latitude as...NYC, i guess, or above...you really ought to start supplementing.

I feel like I'm eating enough because I get full at each meal (sometimes I feel stuffed) and if I am hungry between I do eat something, but for the most part I'm not hungry between meals. But just in general I would say a typical serving of the stew has been 1.5 cups, same with the curry.

I have been eating a lot of coconut milk and we pretty much just cook with coconut oil, so I will try some different fats and see if that helps.

I live in Arizona, so lots of vitamin d year round :)

Archived