Over Cooking :(

Greanbean76

I am on day 8 and so far my Whole30 is going really well with one exception. I am getting really tired of cooking! I started my Whole30 the same weekend I moved into a new home because I figured having an empty fridge and pantry so perfect time for a reset. Sounds like a really good plan BUT trying to get settled and unpacked has meant that I haven't been able to meal prep as much in advance as I would like and so I find myself cooking every day, sometimes multiple times. I am over it and I've got 22 days to go. Any suggestions besides a protein salad that is compliant and easy?

Do you have a slow cooker? It's really easy to cook an entire chicken (without even sealing it in a pan first) to give you a quick protein option for a few days which you can eat alongside any prepped veg, or add to a blended soup, or you could use it to make a curry - choose your protein as the base, add in some chopped veg & spices, add a can of chopped tomatoes (or a can of coconut milk) and cook on low for around 6hrs... 

Or something like a ground beef & veg frittata which can be cut into wedges & reheated as required....

If you're tired and need a break from prepping/cooking, you can try switching to just assembling easy food.  As long as it fits the meal template, basically anything goes.  It doesn't necessarily have to look like a meal someone else would prepare or find attractive or appealing.  Easy pre-prepped food in my mind looks like canned/jarred/frozen foods.  (As always, check ingredients for compliance).

So, ideas I've done:

-A bag of those ready-to-eat baby carrots (or any veggies that can be eaten raw), canned olives, canned salmon.

-Canned diced tomatoes (maybe fire roasted with garlic/basil flavoring) and a can of tuna.  Fancy it up: put it all in the same bowl.  Extra fancy: saute some onions and heat the whole thing up first.

-Compliant rotisserie chicken, jarred artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes.

-Heat up some frozen veggie mix, add some canned coconut milk, can of salmon.  Salt and pepper.  Easy soup.  

Amazing meals?  No.  Good enough meals?  Absolutely!  Easy?  Yes.

When you do cook/prep, make extra if possible so that one cooking session will last 3+ meals.

• 4 weeks later...

In a pinch I am finding you can buy almost anything prepped for you, but it may cost more. With all you have going on maybe let go of personally chopping every thing? The one thing that is harder is salad dressing so I do a big batch of that. I love my slow cooker too. My favorite is turkey thighs, skinless but bone in. Put your favorite seasoning on and barley cover with water. Cook all day on low. It's a nice change from chicken for me.

Archived