I fell off my bike

HEDGEHOG8

I'm starting again from scratch tomorrow 1st of June.

I'm doing this because:-

I really want to lose weight

I feel like I have no control over what I put in my mouth anymore

The sugar dragon has grown and grown and its fire can't be extinguished anymore by willpower alone

I have done this before so I know I can do this.

I did the reintroductions and found that over time no food groups had a really bad effect on me except my weight and bloated-ness.

I want to teach myself to not overindulge.

Riding my own bike was hard. I fell off the bike and it rolled down the hill - I can no longer see the bike I am riding - you get the picture :-(

I have told my friends not to feed me - I AM READY!!!

Happy eating everyone

The sugar dragon has grown and grown and its fire can't be extinguished anymore by willpower alone

I have done this before so I know I can do this.

I did the reintroductions and found that over time no food groups had a really bad effect on me except my weight and bloated-ness.

Welcome back HEDGEHOG8

If I recall correctly you ate quite a bit of fruit on previous Whole 30s. Can I suggest you really cut back on that this time, really stick to the template, and increase the fat in your meals? This will really help with the Sugar Dragon...

And re the reintroductions - the weight/bloating thing is most likely inflammation rather than weight gain so you might want to pay more attention to what is causing that - it could even be some of the compliant foods you are eating.

Keep a detailed log with day to day symptoms alongside your food, throughout your 30days and on into reintro. Note any headaches, aches, pains & bloating & then you'll be better equipped to look back & pinpoint what the culprit is, bearing in mind that occasionally reactions often start out as psychological rather than physical - especially in the case of gluten & sugar.

Hi HEDGEHOG8

Just when you mention will power

I have been reading some Allen Carr books recently - they cover a lot on willpower and how it eventually runs out

He proposes that a lot of "brainwashing" has conditioned us to thinking we need will power, when really we need to make an informed decision, which then allows us to stop something without the whole guilt / deprivation thing that goes on, (which creates the cravings and generally makes you miserable)

I started reading the how to stop smoking one 1st (I have never smoked in my life - but I got the principle)

The alcohol one was even more eye opening for me (particularly from a mums perspective)

And the one on loosing weight is interesting as well - although he proposes natural vegetarianism - which doesn't tick my boxes - I prefer natural paleo 

It might be worth taking a look at them - he does talk about sugar and does advocate fruit

I know my fruit intake has increased recently (might be down to summer?) but I haven't felt the sugar dragon kicking in

As I say - might be worth looking at as it is horrible being miserable with yourself

...they cover a lot on willpower and how it eventually runs out...

Sorry to hijack your thread HEDGEHOG8 but interestingly I've been reading recently that the research which is the basis of this theory is thought to be flawed, and that self-control actually improves through successive challenges, and that your beliefs about willpower actually effect how much willpower you have.

The current research suggests that far from being a limiting factor, willpower would appear to be a reflection of beliefs. Beliefs change how we live, survive and thrive in the world so if you see yourself as having a limited amount of willpower it’s unlikely that you’ll make the extra effort to forgo dessert, or hit the gym, since you’ll “burn out anyways”.

In other words - don't ever let go of that positive mental attitude - good luck!!

Day 1

Sent the message loud and clear to family about what I was allowed and not allowed to eat and it worked. Apart from mum forgetting and dad joking about having cheese all went well.

Meal 1: tomatoes and boiled eggs ( was gonna be fruit but didn't have any in the end)

Meal 2: mince and tomatoes with vegetables

Cabbage olives and green beans on the side

Meal 3 : curry pork and onions with sweet potato patties

I have had 3 small cups of coffee

I haven't had enough water today in fact I don't think I have had any! That's terrible?

Apart from the fluids I think a very successful start.

I have been thinking about different recipes and intend to do a 'big shop' tomorrow to get all I need. I'm thinking about making some go to sauces that I can refrigerate and use as dressings for meat.

Happy eating everyone!

Day 2

Before I begin I have to warn whoever is reading this that I am very mardy (grumpy) today.

I woke up really early about 6 am - ok so early for me. I had a really bad headache that felt like I had pins and needles above my eye. I tried to shake it off but eventually at around 7 went back to bed and didn't wake till 10:30 am ish!!!! How unproductive of me but my grandma used to say "sleep is the best medicine". I still had a headache and eventually took some pain killers and, happy days, it went.

I don't feel energised and food free I feel exhausted at the thought of making all the meals and I also have to shop. But, I want this I really do so I have to dig in and make it happen.

Meal 1: not ideal eggs and a handful of nuts and raisins and a banana - it's whole 30 but had nothing else to go with it.

Meal 2: long story alert - I got a voucher for money off at the shop I usually go to :-) :-) and I did a 'big shop'. When I'm not on whole 30 I shop almost every other day as I never know what I'm gonna eat or how I'll feel. Today I went with a list as working through 'well fed' and adapting recipes as I can't find half the ingredients. When I got to the till to pay they wouldn't accept the voucher at that store, so I said I didn't want the food and left. Told you I was grumpy! The cashier agreed that it was a stupid system and didn't know why her manager wasn't allowing it.

Food: left over curry and cherry tomatoes corned beef and pepper and olives - scraped together

At this point in the day I am kickin myself for not just buyin the food.

Meal 3: I went shopping again and got almost everything on the list. When I go back I made a chicken dish with pinapples, peppers, onions and coconut milk - it wasn't very spicy but not bland - it was ok. I'm going to try it with prawns and white fish next time as the book suggests.

I drank more water today just over a litre - still not enough and I have 'an App for that' now so I'll aim for drinking more each day.

Hopefully a better day tomorrow ( my other half is praying I wake up on the right side of the bed )

Happy eating everyone!

Day 3 - in a much happier place :-)

Meal 1: left over meal 3

Meal 2: chicken curry and jacket potatoe

Meal 3: fry up

I have also experimented with making some sauces - Mayo, tomato ketchup and a mango type sauce.

I would like to make some pickles for salads although not quite sure whether this is in the Whole 30 rules?

1.5 litres of water consumed

2 cups of coffee

I still found it hard to wake and I know that I can't go back to sleep as if I do I'll probably be there all day and regret it.

I had a little bike down the village and a walk round the block with the cat ( he walks on a lead as I don't like to let him out on his own)

My other half and parents are joining me on whole 30 as much as they are able and that's really helping having their support.

A quick one tonight - phew u hear you all sigh.

Happy eating everyone!

Day 4 - exhausted and hungry

Had a productive day putting stuff on eBay - something I have wanted to do in so long. My mum gets so excited about watching the bids. Cheap entertainment!

I've been really hungry today? Will try and work out why by the time I get to the end of this blog post.

Meal 1: mince mush with apple pear and eggs

Had half so left over for tomorrow's breakfast

Meal 2: by 1 I was famished - tuna mayo 4 tins between 2 of us with jacket potato, olives, tomatoes, grapes and salad leaf

Still hungry - bananas and strawberries with coconut milk

Meal 3: chicken curry with vegetables

About 8ish still hungry - corned beef and olives with tomato ketchup and Mayo

All sauces compliant and home made.

Bits of fruit throughout the day to try and get rid of my hunger.

What I think has made me hungry

I think the fruit is making me hungry?

I haven't had enough protein?

I know I have had enough fat including 2 cups of coffee with coconut milk.

Will make some changes tomorrow and see what happens. Mood is really improved.

Happy eating everyone!

Day 5

All good today, cue smiley face :-). I had to fill in food I between work, where I am in a swimming pool for most of the day or driving between venues and all worked out well. I did have help from my oh who had made me dinner when I walked in the door. That helped a lot.

Meal 1: left over mince mush with olives

Meal 2: omelette with onion and fried broccli ( if you haven't tried broccli in this way you really must )

Meal 3: corned beef, olives, tomatos, yellow pepper and tomato purée.

I drank 1 litre ish of water and I think this helped with the hunger I felt yesterday as was fully satisfied after every meal.

I limited fruit except for the 1/4 apple and pear in the breakfast.

Back to work this week.

Happy eating everyone!

Archived