Fruit

I love fruit! So much that I kinda tend to pig out and overindulge. It's gotten to the point where I crave it all the time, and mostly after meals. I think that I may need to take a little break from it... I'm finding that I am super sensitive to the sugar, and I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with cutting it completely out of my diet for a little while. Any help is appreciated!

I agree with Johnny. Try to find out what it is about fruit that makes you crave it and see if it can be substituted. If you like it sweetness of fruits, maybe you can snack on some cherry tomatoes or jicama instead. If you like the crunch, baby carrots or cucumbers are great!

I´m very sugar sensitive too so I´ve cut the fruit. Berries are less sweet so you could try and see if they affect you in a different way. Like Johnny said, there´s nothing in fruit that you can´t get through other items.

Since starting my whole30 7 days ago, I've noticed that my sugar cravings/fruit cravings are higher after I eat fruit. Most days I don't eat any fruit at all and I feel better without it. Although, it is a nice snack once in awhile. :)

• 3 months later...

Day 11, I thought my sugar demon was hibernating for the month but discovered he was lurking around the corner. I was in the bulk section of Whole Foods, found the dried mango with nothing added! Oh boy, that's wonderful I thought, eagerly scooping a handful into my baggie. Got home, just a little snack (I know Whole30 is not a 'snacking' cleanse) after eating the first piece, the next, the next & so on, only the scent of mango remained in my baggie! Now, I have to back off fruit for a few days to send the SD back into hiding.

I'm on Day 18, and have only had two pieces of fruit during my program. I had a nectarine about an hour ago, and now I have a bit of a tummy ache... :wacko: Pretty sure it was the fruit, as I've been super compliant in terms of my meals today; scotch eggs for breakfast, and a tomato, avocado and egg scramble for lunch. Is there such a thing as an intolerance to fruit?! I've always preferred my veggies to fruit and don't have a problem with cutting it out, but just curious to know if anyone else has had this...

It's entirely possible that the fruit doesn't agree with you- some folks are sensitive to compounds called FODMAPS (sugars digested and fermented in the gut by bacteria). There is an extensively detailed list of these foods online, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet. I'd suggest avoiding fruit for a day or two and then trying again. If you have the same problem you can go from there.

Archived