Staying with Family, Staying with W30....

Knappo

Hi,

I'm on Day 17 and have truly never felt better.  I love all the foods I'm eating and have banished sweets and bread cravings.  Amazing.  

My issue is that tomorrow I'm going to stay with my son and his family for five days.  I have told him about the Whole30 and he's super supportive, but I'm worried about sticking with the program in total.  There will be lots of other family members there, and I really can't expect that all meals will be compliant.  I will do my best and know that I can avoid sugar, sweeteners, and grains.  However, consuming only compliant fats and oils, as well as avoiding all dairy might be tougher.

I'm prepared to start over when I return, so I'm not sure why I'm even posting this....  But I suppose putting it out there might serve to help me avoid the "oh what the hell," syndrome that I've fallen for many times.  I do want to continue with this!

Thanks for listening!

PS I'm flying, so bringing items other than what I will eat for lunch tomorrow won't be possible.  The challenge begins with dinner!

Hi Knappo, I spent Memorial day with family and informed them that when I got into town I would need to go shopping for compliant food. I went to the grocery store (they gave me a ride) and purchase compliant food for myself for the week. Some meals they ate with me, other meals we ate different food, but I knew that I was going to be able to stick to my plan because I made sure I had compliant meat, vegetables, and fats and coconut milk/almond milk for my coffee.

It was difficult when they were eating foods that I like but are not compliant, but you can stick to it. Even when travelling and with family.

I've also done what TryingOver has done, but before I was eating w30-style. I used to be vegan, so for the 11 years I ate that way, whenenever I'd go visit people at their homes, I'd walk or get a ride to a grocery store and purchase what would work for me. As long as those you are visiting know that you're eating a particular way for health reasons, I'm sure they'd be supportive of you purchasing and preparing foods that help you to stay compliant with your plan. Because when it comes to it, the visit is more important than eating the same foods as everyone else at the table.

Good luck!

Archived