Trying to understand pre-wo/post-wo meal recs

Lately, I've been walking for 30 minutes each morning, usually around 30-45 minutes after breakfast. Does that mean breakfast is my pre-wo meal? I don't need another, right? Is there an issue with having sweet potatoes at breakfast then? What's the reason not to eat carbs pre-wo anyway?

What about post-wo? I don't find myself hungry until lunch, which I eat about 2 hours later. If I did eat then, I'd probably end up eating a smaller lunch than template.

What do you say?

Carbs preWO provide your body with an instant source of fuel rather than allowing your body to tap into it's fat stores.

Does the 30min walk raise your heart rate significantly?

If not you're probably okay without a pre/post WO.

Good morning, I've been reviewing the forum because I too am struggling with making sense of the pre and post wo.

I'm on day 6 and feeling good.

I have knee issues (am not particularly active, so we aren't talking a cross-fit regime), nonetheless, I love to walk, do gentle yoga, and am trying to incorporate cycling as I know that this will be helpful for my knees (early onset of osteoarthritis... which is freaking me out, since I am only 42).

Part of doing WHole30 for me is for strength, anti-inflammation diet, weight-loss, and general well-being.

But I continue to struggle with meal timing and  pre and post wo meals...

For example, this morning I was frantically getting my kid to school.

After she was out the door I quickly had a small pre wo a small bite of turkey and tiny handful of cashews at 8am

Stationary bike exercise for 15 minutes at 8:15-8:30

Post wo small bite of turkey and small bite of sweet potato

But now, when would I have breakfast? It's already 9am (now 9:20 after searching the forum  :) ).

Or do I even need the pre and post workout meals?

In general my workouts will always be near mealtimes (early morning, mid-day or early evening), so I've just really lost when it comes to the timing of pre and post wo snacks (1/2 meals).

Any insights or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 

Carbs preWO provide your body with an instant source of fuel rather than allowing your body to tap into it's fat stores.

Does the 30min walk raise your heart rate significantly?

If not you're probably okay without a pre/post WO.

I don't know....how does one assess this? I walk in a mall, not on a treadmill.

How easy is it/would it be to have a conversation while you're walking? If it would be tough to have a conversation, then I'd say it's raising your heart rate enough that some post-walk protein wouldn't be amiss. If you're able to chat with a friend the whole time, then you can probably skip the pre/post WO meals. :) 

Archived