Monk fruit and Monk fruit extract

Sarah1313

MODERATOR EDIT OF ORIGINAL POST
April 20, 2017 - As per the updated "SNEAKY SUGARS" download, monk fruit extract and anything that it appears in is not compliant.

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-sugar.pdf  

Is monk fruit compliant? I have seen a lot of conflicting answers on here and I really cannot see why.

Firstly, monk fruit is indeed a fruit according to my research is is a melon that grows in Southeast Asia. I believe this means I could eat a fresh monk fruit on whole 30. Is this correct?

If this is true, I also researched what "monk fruit extract" is and it seems to be simply the juice from the fruit "Monk fruit extract" is created by removing the seeds and skin of the fruit, crushing the fruit, and collecting the juice."

If this is the case a product like Califia farms coconut almond milk is simply using fruit juice as a sweetner, which according to the whole 30 guidelines is okay. The recipe in the whole 30 book for ketchup uses apple juice as a sweetner. Also there is a recipe for grilled chicken salad in the whole 30 cookbook that calls for fruit juice sweetened dried cranberries. In this case if monk fruit was used wouldn't it be acceptable? Please can someone explain this to me?

• Moderators

The whole monk fruit would be compliant.  Monk Fruit extract is a refined additive.  It's not quite as simple as 'juicing' a monk fruit... it's juiced and concentrated to make it a sweetener.  I think this is a gray area because your two examples of using apple juice and dried cranberries are compliant... 

The difference is that you're buying a pre-sweetened processed food item which makes it pretty gray... I would leave this off as there are available products that are not sweetened... 

• Moderators

Yes, it's quite like the Larabar situation... it's not 'disallowed' via the rules but consuming it in abundance (or at all really) is not in the spirit of Whole30 and we really want you eating real food... this milk alternative is intentionally sweetened to make it more palatable to people who are used to overly sweet, hyperflavored food... in order to become one of the people that can appreciate the sweetness of a fresh strawberry or a nice roasted sweet potato, you need to take these hyper sweetened foods out of your repertoire... 

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

We would recommend that you start over, yes, but as always the choice is up to you.  There's an article in my signature below called 'Do I have to start over'.  Have a read through it. Whatever you decide, make sure you're reading your labels on everything you consume. There's also a sneaky sugars cheat sheet on my signature that you might like to look at to see all the ways they disguise the word 'sugar' to try and trick you.

We also can't forget that "monk fruit extract" is a highly processed product. It's not a juice. It's a product. Sweeteners are non-compliant on Whole30. Fruit juice is a grey area, but if someone came here saying they juiced apples and then boiled the juice down to make a syrup for their coffee, all the mods here would say that, while technically the ingredient is compliant, it's compliant on a technicality. 

Leave out the sweeteners. It's only 30 days.

Thank you, that makes complete sense and I totally agree with you. It was my fault for taking a sip and realizing something in the taste was "off" and THEN realizing monk fruit was the last ingredient on the list<_<

i read the list a previous time and for some reason didn't see it. What a bummer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived