Osteoarthritis/Inflammation…. & Nightshades?

I realized I should have posted this here instead of in the "Log." So here it is. 

I have one replaced hip, and the other is failing. Also spine problems--I'm shuttling between spine and hip doctors, trying to determine the cause of my current pain.

Before going on Whole 30 18 days ago, the pain was absolutely screamingly bad (drove me to my old frenemy, Oxycodone). Then, as I started on Whole 30, it subsided down to zero for the first two weeks. Could it be the diet? 

Now, Day 18, the pain is back ---though not nearly that bad---Advil and ice. 

Anyone else with osteoarthritis and with what may be a correlation between less pain and Whole 30? I'm curious….no intention whatsoever of quitting the Whole 30, but wondering. Or, has anyone tried cutting nightshades to reduce inflammation? I'm so happy with my breakfast of peppers and tomatoes that I'm reluctant to knock out nightshades, but if it would help with the pain, I'll do it.

I have not been formally diagnosed with osteoarthritis or arthritis for that matter.  I am simply an (almost) 40 yr old woman with knee and hip problems.  Or what used to be problems. 

What I have noticed that gives me pain are eggs specifically, as well as egg plants.  Peppers and Tomatoes do bother me - but more in the vein of skin problems.  They cause skin fissures and psoriasis. 

Since I do like eggs, peppers, and tomatoes - They are relegated to "eat sparingly" list.  Meaning I will not eat any one more than twice a week.  Less if I can.  I do get *some* inflammation - but not much.

The ideal thing to do is cut them out completely for 30 days.  But I think it totally depends on how bad your symptoms are.  If you notice a difference by cutting them out for a week - you might actually enjoy being pain free for a bit.  So you might be motivated to cut them out longer.

You should definitely cut back on them.

Also what I have noticed with time is that I tolerate cooked nightshades with no skin over raw and with skin on.

Eggs - I find I tolerate well sourced eggs, much better than not.  I have also discovered that I have issues more with the white than the yolk.

Thanks, Carlaccini. I'm going to make a list of nightshades and dodge them in the coming weeks. Right as I hit Day 31 I have to go away for business, staying in a hotel, and I'm not sure how much of a challenge that will be, so I may try no nightshades until then, then see about adding them back. It isn't 30 days but I can try then when I get back. 

Eggs---I'll try cutting them out, too, as soon as I can dream up some good breakfast ideas. We live near someone who keeps chickens and sells their eggs. Talk about free-range---the chickens surround the car when we pull up. I practically know their names. 

I'd echo what Carla said about the eggs.

I've eaten them daily for many years and didn't think I had a problem with them until recently. It wasn't until I excluded them that a niggly knee pain I've had for some time seemed to magically disappear... I've also discovered that I can tolerate well sourced *truly* free range eggs - so long as they haven't had their diet supplemented with corn... I don't tolerate corn well at all, and if the chickens laying the eggs have eaten corn then for me they're no beuno.

It's also fairly common for the issue to be with the proteins in the egg white rather than the yolk so once you've excluded eggs if you find that they are problematic you may be okay eating mayo made with only the yolk - it makes for a much richer, creamier mayo anyways.

It's not so much that we are what we eat. We are what what we eat eats.

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis when I was 13, doctors thought it was odd at my age but the symptoms were obvious. Xrays came up clear, ruling out other kinds of arthritis. Actually turned out to be grains, gluten in particular and dairy.

My first Whole30 (haha, much older!), no gluten + no dairy = no arthritis! None! Although no gluten was enough to get rid of it, I find some other grains can also trigger it, anything from this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolamin - have zero trouble with buckwheat and very very little with white rice so I stick to those. I do have trouble with brown rice, so I avoid anything "wholegrain" as the grain coatings seem to be extra-rough. Dairy seems fine initially, but a few weeks later, arthritis, inflammation, start getting sick.

I also have had trouble with eggs, for me it's what they feed them. Very little trouble with free range and organic/biodynamic eggs, but they have different food. I often don't eat eggs out as a result, unless I know what kind they are.

I also have a little trouble with nightshades, but it seems to be load. Peppers (capsicum) are my favourite, so if I'm having those I try and avoid all the others as much as possible. I used to eat a lot of multi-nightshade meals (5+), sometimes three times a day :lol:. I went entirely without and added back but found I wasn't feeling bad at sensible levels, but I also enjoyed them more, so find less is just as satisfying now. A lot of people have trouble with skins in nightshades, goji berries are a sneaky nightshade and potato starch is another one easy to miss. Some people are particularly sensitive to paprika and chilli varieties.

I find the other things I eat also matter. Not too much Omega 6 (watch the nuts and seed oils), plenty of Omega 3 (chia seeds do not count - fish is much better), avoiding seed oils, soy and other inflammatory items. Vitamin C, Vitamin K2, Magnesium and Zinc all seem to help me too, especially if I've ingested something like corn without meaning to.

If you're getting any restless twitching or cramping in your legs/muscles, you may need some additional: magnesium, potassium or sodium.

I'm posting just to say that in FebruaryI was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in SI joint (causes bad pain and muscle spasms) as well as on my L4 and L5, which just causes me problems in the way of irritating other joints above if I am not careful. I've been going in for acupuncture for just over two weeks now and it is helping quite a bit.

Since cutting out dairy since Monday I have had very little pain. Can cutting out a good group help that quickly?

I am also avoiding nightshades since Monday.

Thanks for all these replies. 

I've continued just on regular old W30---I'm now on Day 26---and decided to wait until I'm done with the thirty days before cutting out eggs and /or nightshades. And guess what? My pain has once again disappeared. It is WEIRD. I had an appointment to see the spine doctor and then get another shot of cortisone in my spine and aspiration of a cyst on the nerve root of L4/5, but I've cancelled as it's ridiculous to do that if I'm having no pain. 

I'm back to the gym every other day, playing it pretty safe with just bike and then PT exercises for my hip, stretching, and upper body weights. Maybe followed by a very short swim if I have time. But I really am amazed that I haven't taken Advil or Aleve in about six days, haven't taken Oxy for, well, 26 days. 

The only eggs I eat ---at least for this month, where I am for the month----are the ones I mentioned above, from chickens I practically am on a first-name basis with. But I'm still eating tomatoes, peppers, and even had some eggplant, and still no pain. 

So my plan now is to continue on W30 and do a very slow re-intro. This will be a challenge as on Day 31 I have to go stay in a hotel for work for ten days. But boy, I am so excited to hear from Praxis and Busymomma that gluten and daily may be it. I really don't miss either, except in specifics, like, gee, I'd love an English muffin. But if it means no pain, it's a very easy thing to do. I think I'll try something like white rice, but really, it isn't like I'm sitting around craving white rice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had inflammation in my right sacroiliac joint for about 2 years now which means I have a lot of pain especially when walking etc, I have had injections a couple of times and only the last time seemed to make a little difference to the pain. I have cut out dairy & wheat before and didn't notice any improvement to the pain. I am just starting Whole30 and will be very interested to see if cutting out tomatoes & peppers & eating better quality eggs makes a difference. I eat a eggs most days and often eat tomatoes and peppers. After reading all the comments I'm definitely going to try cutting these out my diet for 30 days & see what happens. Fingers crossed!!

• 1 year later...

If you cut out eggs, what do you eat for breakfast? I mean, while also avoidng bread for toast, cereals, grains like grits & oatmeal, etc. I've been eating eggs nearly every day for many months, and have been avoiding most things I cut out durng my Jan W30. I have added back some  corn tortillas or chips (but still avoiding gluten & breads, crackers, etc). I've also added supplements. But my osteoarthritis, complicated by a shredded meniscus that was mostly cut out when I had my knee scoped a year ago, has just gotten worse. I have lost over 30 pounds & feel better in other ways, but once all the cortisone & prednisolone got out of my body, the pain has stuck around. I am trying to avod knee replacement. So are eggs & nghtshads the things that make the mst difference for joint pain? Any other ideas?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Heckbeck said:

If you cut out eggs, what do you eat for breakfast? I mean, while also avoiding bread for toast, cereals, grains like grits & oatmeal, etc. I've been eating eggs nearly every day for many months, and have been avoiding most things I cut out during my Jan W30. I have added back some  corn tortillas or chips (but still avoiding gluten & breads, crackers, etc). I've also added supplements. But my osteoarthritis, complicated by a shredded meniscus that was mostly cut out when I had my knee scoped a year ago, has just gotten worse. I have lost over 30 pounds & feel better in other ways, but once all the cortisone & prednisone got out of my body, the pain has stuck around. I am trying to avod knee replacement. So are eggs & nghtshades the things that make the most difference for joint pain? Any other ideas?

Hi @Heckbeck - for breakfast this morning my husband and I had pork burger patties, a chopped salad w/ some diced apple and raisins and half an avocado. Plus coffee. Yesterday we had chicken breast sliced on romaine lettuce topped w/ Caesar salad dressing and shared a banana. The day before that we had pulled pork, steamed green beans and roasted sweet potato w/ a blop of homemade mayo. 

If you want, you could try the AIP Whole30 which cuts out even more inflammatory foods such as eggs and nightshades, yes. Or you could do your own personal trial and carry on as you are now (assuming it is very close to Whole30) and then do a two or three week elimination of eggs and see how the pain is. If it improves, you know. If not, try passing on the nightshades for a couple weeks and see. It'll be some personal experimentation.

Archived