Should NutPods Creamer be approved as Whole 30 compliant? Should any phosphate ingredient for that matter?

I just saw the newsletter about the new NutPods creamer. I was excited until I looked at the list of ingredients. How was this an improved compliant Whole 30 product when it has phosphates in it? I thought we were not allowed phosphates on the Whole 30. I know I avoided them the whole time I did my 30 days. I double checked the rules just now and it said sulfites and not phosphates. So perhaps just my bad. With that said, if I had the two mixed up then perhaps it should be phosphates because I just got back my blood work results last night and my total cholesterol fell 45 points in 30 days. My triglycerides dropped 88 points and my LDL 20 points. I also lost 18 pounds.  

• Moderators

I just saw the newsletter about the new NutPods creamer. I was excited until I looked at the list of ingredients. How was this an improved compliant Whole 30 product when it has phosphates in it? I thought we were not allowed phosphates on the Whole 30. I know I avoided them the whole time I did my 30 days. I double checked the rules just now and it said sulfites and not phosphates. So perhaps just my bad. With that said, if I had the two mixed up then perhaps it should be phosphates because I just got back my blood work results last night and my total cholesterol fell 45 points in 30 days. My triglycerides dropped 88 points and my LDL 20 points. I also lost 18 pounds.  

Phosphates have never been on the list of items to avoid, sulfites have always been on that list.

That said, no one ever has to include any compliant or approved items that they don't feel will serve them well in their Whole30. If you feel that leaving out phosphates made a huge difference in your results, keep not having them.

For people who are not signed up for the Wholesome newsletter who want to know more about this, this is what Melissa had to say:

When I wrote the Whole30 rules in 2009, I didn't intend for the Whole30 to be "black coffee bootcamp," nor was I trying to deprive you of things that are tasty just to be a tough guy. Back then, compliant almond or coconut milk creamers simply didn't exist (neither did the idea of "bulletproof" coffee). In 2009, if you weren't using milk or Cremora to lighten your coffee, you were drinking it black, and that was that.

Now, finding a compliant (unsweetened and carrageenan-free) store-bought coconut or almond milk or creamer is easy, even at a "regular" grocery store. Since I'm not trying to take something tasty away from you for no good reason, if you prefer your coffee or tea a little milky, that's totally fine with me.

Now, might this drive you to drink more coffee, to the detriment of your health? Maybe. I'm asking you to take some personal responsibility here. But, I will say the impetus to drink more coffee isn't usually the cream, it's the sweet hit that comes from adding sugar or artificial sweeteners. So don't try to recreate THAT, even with compliant ingredients. Skirting the rules by whipping up a date paste—that's definitely not in the spirit of the Whole30.

Archived