Does anyone else have a NutButter Dragon?

Tasha

Before W30 I suspected I *might* have an issue with nut butter, but always wrote it off as a quick/easy/not-that-bad protein/fat source to pair with my fruit. But then it started appearing by itself on a spoon or knife. And then multiple spoonfuls.

So when I started w30 (day 14 now) I didn't have any in the house. About a week in a bought some almond butter and then noticed myself turning to it when I would normally turn to sugar.

Is there something magical about this stuff that it somehow (despite lack of sugar) feeds the Sugar Dragon or is it it's very own evil dragon of deliciousness?

I totally have the same issue! I'm a complete almond butter addict...which is really interesting since I wasn't at all into it before my Whole 30. I just completed my Whole 30 on Saturday and did really well slaying sugar dragons, but I definitely found myself drawn into the almond butter and coconut butter. I'm planning on starting another Whole 30 later this month after my marathon to address those issues since I feel like I definitely used nut butters as a crutch during my first Whole 30. When I realized what I had done, it was day 23 and I had already planned on doing another Whole 30 so I just started cutting down on my nut butter consumption.

Good luck!

I think we're hardwired to crave salt and fat as well as sugar, so that may be why we're so susceptible to almond butter. Also, y'know, it's delicious... I have to say I tried walnut butter and it was minging!

If you can, find a supplier that only sells almond butter in small jars - it's a lot easier to moderate when you don't have much left!

I bought some Carley's raw organic almond butter. I enjoy it, it's quite pleasant but I don't feel the urge to dive face first into the jar the way I do with roasted almond butter. It's much easier to just have a small amount.

Yes, any kind of butter is a fine line for me. If I don't have it in the house, it's not an issue, but if I have a jar of coconut butter in the pantry I can hear it calling my name on a daily basis. It's pretty bad. I also became very fond of sunbutter and veggies (like carrots or bell peppers). I haven't ordered any more since my supply went dry and I am going to try to do my next W30 without any nuts or butters.

I completely agree. I love nutbutter! But I also find it really good to have some almond butter with a cup of herbal tea before going to bed. I feel full and I seem to sleep better.

The key is to not have too much. But I think one or two spoons are OK. Do you?

The funny thing is that I never feel like having nut butter during daytime. I have one jar almond butter at work, that has been standing there forever, not even opened. I wonder why.

I completely agree. I love nutbutter! But I also find it really good to have some almond butter with a cup of herbal tea before going to bed. I feel full and I seem to sleep better.

The key is to not have too much. But I think one or two spoons are OK. Do you?

The funny thing is that I never feel like having nut butter during daytime. I have one jar almond butter at work, that has been standing there forever, not even opened. I wonder why.

Here's my take on that. I think there is a craving fairy that magically becomes present at night. I swear, that is the only time I have a craving if I have one at all. I used to eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches at night or cake with ice cream. I NEVER thought of such things during the day, but at night, I craved them. I'm sure there's an explanation, but I don't know what it would be..I just know it to be true for me.

Interestingly, I would have told you I had a nutbutter dragon before the Whole30, but now it is gone! I believe previously, I was making such an effort to watch/record/track/limit my fats, that I simply was not eating enough. Voila! Eat enough fat at meal time, and the body is good!

I think if I'm not Very careful I could have a nutbutter dragon. I have always loved pb, it was honestly one of the foods I was geniunely worried about having in the house during w30 to tempt me. PB & J was comfort food for me: sick, bad day, craving something but couldn't figure it out. I would even have just a big spoonful of it, or add it to a s'smore- oh the many ways I could indulge in pb. I've worked very hard to substitue any other nut butter. I had an unhealthy pyschological relationship with peanut butter :)

Hazelnut butter and coconut butter- i know, not a nut butter, but the consistency.... Oh my goodness those two are Good. I haven't had any almond butter yet. Tried cashew butter, I like it but don't see myself overindulging in it.

Thankfully I haven't really had any cravings to fight this w30. But I recognized both of those butters as Occasional items, and to be cautious they didn't become Treat foods.

YES! Before Whole30 I could eat an entire jar of Justin's Maple Almond Butter with a spoon. I did the first 2 weeks of my first Whole 30 (now on day 42) with no nut butters, but then the night time dragon would hit and I'd stand over the sink and eat cashew butter like a drowning man. Part of what is happening for ME with Whole9/30 is I'm noticing my weird food habits -- when before I actually thought I was relatively healthy -- and addressing them as they come up. So, today is grocery day...no nut butters on the list. We'll see what comes up next!

Archived