Post work out bonus meal

Hi there, 

I'm on day 3 of my first round of the whole 30. I just had a question. I train 3 times a week and walk about 5k everyday and sit in the sauna for about 3--60 mins at least 5 times a week. 

I am just wondering what constitutes the extra bonus meal in the morning after a workout? How intense does the workout have to be? And what should the meal incorporate?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Anna Licandro

• Moderators

If your heartrate is elevated for an extended period of time, that warrants the post workout meal, which should consist of a few bites of lean protein and optionally (but recommended) starchy veggie (sweet potato, potato, butternut squash etc...)

• Moderators

I don't know an exact number but if you are exerting yourself for a consistent amount of time that it feels like a workout to you (this is personal, right because a workout to you might not feel like a workout to me and vice versa), then that qualifies.  It's not too much food so it's not like you'll 'ruin your dinner' if you have these few bites of food and the workout was questionable intensity if you know what I mean?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda a lazy bum and I like the Epic Bison Meat (uncured bacon, chia, and raisins) jerkey for that little pick-me-up for pre and post workout.  Ingredients: Natural Bison, uncured bacon (pork, water, sea salt, vinegar, celery powder), golden raisins, chia seeds.

I try not to do too many carbs since I am trying to lean up a bit, but the protein tides me over throughout the workout and until dinner afterward (I workout after work).  I also have a few almonds with the jerky for pre-WO.

I know chia seeds aren't the MOST ideal, but it's the only compliant jerky I've found at my local grocery store.

Archived