Total veggies aversion :( - green juices?

Hey there!

I'm new here and I'm starting with whole 30 due my skin irritation mostly because I stopped eating the right way ( I was on a candida albicans diet, which is almost like whole 30). I stopped eating right because I can't stand ANY veggie. Like I literally run to the bathroom as soon as I see or smell broccoli, asparagus or spinach  :(  and those are actually my favourite.

All I'm craving is cheese and everything that has wheat and junk food and tada! my skin itchiness due candida are back in their game. 

Long story short... I need to get some veggies in asap and the only way I can get them in is juicing them I add a green apple to it. Is that ok? I've searched the board and didn't find any answer to green juice!

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany!

While not prohibited, juicing/smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30, per the Can I Have Guide:

"Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.yR1PUh5q.dpuf

There are LOTS of vegetable possibilities.  Are they any you can stomach in its whole food form at this time?  This produce guide may give you some ideas.

If you're talking juicing, rather than blending, you're stripping the vegetables of fiber and some nutrients.

You're describing the most bitter vegetables. Have you tried squashes, sweet potatoes, jicama, cukes, radishes, tomatoes, carrots, etc? Roasting vegetables is wonderful.

Do you not eat salads? I can't imagine an adult hating ALL vegetables.

That still leaves a lot of veg that you'd have eaten on the candida albican's diet.

How are you prepping those veg?

Also, you've posted this in the 'pregnant or breastfeeding' forum - do you fall into either category?

I am pregnant and yes I do have aversion to all veggies right now. I eat them, I throw them up or i just don't even stand the smell. I normally love vegetables and I've been on a candida diet for almost a year until I got pregnant, so yes, I fall into this category and yes if you are pregnant the aversion can be HORRIBLE.

I am pregnant and yes I do have aversion to all veggies right now. I eat them, I throw them up or i just don't even stand the smell. I normally love vegetables and I've been on a candida diet for almost a year until I got pregnant, so yes, I fall into this category and yes if you are pregnant the aversion can be HORRIBLE.

Then >this article< written by Melissa about how she dealt with food aversions during her pregnancy may be of some help....

Well, that makes more sense!

Well, that makes more sense!

I thought it was obvious because I am in the pregnant part of the forum. :-)

Then >this article< written by Melissa about how she dealt with food aversions during her pregnancy may be of some help....

I already read it and no it doesn't help right now. I suppose I will have to wait until the 12th week maybe it goes away. At least I could eat cabbage today without throwing up.

the point is also, I either eat junk to eat something at all, but I get a bad very itchy skin rush or I just don't eat at all. Fact is all I used to eat, I can't even smell anymore. That's why I was asking with the juice that is the only way I can retain it. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Moderators

During this time, while you're dealing with food aversions, do the best that you can. If the only way you can deal with vegetables is a smoothie, do that.  Try not to have foods that you know are actively going to cause you problems (like, if you know wheat is a main cause of your skin itchiness, but you're craving carby stuff, could you have potato or sweet potato or butternut squash or even rice instead and have less reaction to it?), but if those are the only things you can get down and keep down right now, do that for a while. You'll get past this phase and be able to go back to normal soon.

the point is also, I either eat junk to eat something at all, but I get a bad very itchy skin rush or I just don't eat at all. Fact is all I used to eat, I can't even smell anymore. That's why I was asking with the juice that is the only way I can retain it. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Thank you so much Shannon! xoxo  :wub: . I'm trying with potatoes right now! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Can you eat fruit?  I'm guessing no since from what I know candida diets are low carb...?  What about gluten free substitutes for the "crap" you are eating?  If gluten is an irritant can you just avoid that?  When I think of pregnant wheat/crap cravings I think of pretzels, chips, etc.  There are better quality potato chips out there that are made with avocado oil - so just potatoes, salt, avocado oil - probably a better (and maybe less irritating) choice than Lays... maybe some subtle changes like that will at least allow the itching to settle a little?  

It seems the general advice to preggos is to do the best you can during the first trimester.  There isn't much most women can do to fight the barfy feelings :)  Just make your *best* choices at each meal/snack and move on.  If your best choice is a smoothie that is great, if its a chunk of cheese - whatever.  Living in a constant state of nausea is no fun and not really sustainable.  So do your best through these first few months and then when you feel ready and asparagus don't turn your stomach... eat up :)  The itchy skin might just be what you have to tolerate for now :(

• 2 weeks later...

Oh girl. I'm five weeks pregnant and have never experienced food aversions to meat and veggies like I'm feeling right now. I have celiac disease so I am basically focusing on staying gluten/dairy free till I get through this bout of morning (afternoon, night) sickness and then I will try to go back to paleo eating. But every evening I am able to get a spinach/blueberry/coconut milk smoothie down and that's about all I can do. Seriously, do the best you can right now but stay away from the stuff that's really going to cause you problems. I'm also eating a lot of gluten free toast and cereals because that's all I can keep down right now. 

Archived