Small meals to take on the go

HeatherY

I just started a job where I work 10-12 hours a week. We must bring in all the food we'll need (I could start work at 4 a.m. and work until 4 p.m. or start at noon and work until 10 p.m.) for the shift. I'll be out in the field most of the time. We don't get breaks or lunch, so we'll eat when there's downtown. We'll be out in the hot sun (100+ degrees). What I've packed so far really isn't going to work. So many of the recipes I've seen won't work cold (though I have a soup thermos that will keep soup warm for hours--I heated my chili up this morning at 6:30 a.m. and ate it at 3 p.m. today and it was still hot! However, I'm not sure that eating hot field on the hot field will be all smart.)

So, I'm looking for small meal ideas to pack in the cool and eat throughout the meal--breakfasts, lunches and dinners. 

Thank you in advance!

• Moderators

A lot of the "won't work cold" thing is a mental thing you can get past if you try. You can eat all kinds of things cold if you want to. Grilled chicken, meatballs, frittatas, leftover roasted vegetables. I've eaten meals of leftover cooked green beans, roasted veggies and grilled chicken all straight from the fridge when I was hungry and didn't even want to take a couple of minutes to heat them up.

But if you want things that were specifically meant to be cold, check out these "No Recipe Required" options from Mel Joulwan.

I second eating things cold. I work 12+ hours shifts as well, and though I have access to a fridge and microwave, common sense tells me not to use the fridge since my lunch has been thrown away from there three times. So it all stays in my backpack and I eat it, most often without heating it, as I get a chance to when I'm hungry.

Tonight for my first meal I had curried cauliflower rice with pan seared salmon and topped with a coconut mango garam masala sauce. Cold. Yum!

I have found that Frittatas can be good cold (nom nom paleo has a good recipe for frittata muffins that I take with me for breakfasts when I'm travelling). Sweet potato fish cakes are also good cold (kind of like a tuna salad would be good cold). You could also make homemade chicken salad and tuna salad and make lettuce wraps with them or have a salad on the side to get enough vegetables. I'll also pack cold grilled chicken and sliced vegetables with guacamole or something to dip them in.

I also really like leftover curries cold.  

Archived