New here...starting June 13th

Mary_D

Hi all,

I must have been living under a rock, because I never heard of Whole30 until a friend from work told me about it. I started reading the books and was just nodding my head as I read.

I am a total sugar addict, and have a horrible diet. I need this to help me get away from cookies, chocolate and other foods that are making me feel horrible.  I know it's not a weight-loss diet, but I also need to lose weight, and no matter how I try, I lose some, then gain it back. If I can get away from my bad habits, then I think I will be able to keep it off.

My friend at work already started it, but I am waiting until the date I picked because it's the day before my daughter's birthday, and I know I will want a piece of her ice cream cake, so no sense starting if I know I will cheat. I will spend the next week gathering all my supplies and getting rid of the bad stuff.

I'm nervous and I know it's going to be hard, but I think I can do it!

Hi, Mary...I'm starting on Monday also.  I'm a little nervous but so ready for a change.  I've got 30-35 pounds to lose, and, more importantly, I need to lower my blood pressure and triglycerides.  I just signed up to walk a half marathon in October, so I'm hoping that eating right will lead to more energy to get out and move more than I do now.  The recipes look really good in the book, so I'm going to try to focus on the great things I can have instead of what I can't (like I usually do when I'm dieting).  

We can do this!  Just think how great we will feel at the end of 30 days!

I'm starting tomorrow 6/12. I too had never heard of the Whole30! It started showing up in my life suddenly from different directions -- and I usually take occurrences like that as a sign to pay attention.

I'm 60 (61 in a couple of weeks, whoa!) and finding I can no longer eat some things I used to eat. My mother died of colon cancer 10 years ago after a long descent into digestive problems, autoimmune issues and diabetes. I realized I was on the same trajectory as I entered menopause. I gave up gluten 6 years ago, and discovered Mark Sisson and the Primal Blueprint. I ate mostly that way for a few years - no grains, no legumes, good whole foods. 

But I am a sugar ADDICT. I love dairy. I drink lots of wine. And bourbon. 

Last spring I had a fantastic trip to England, and decided to fully experience everything -- which included pub ales, fish and chips, Marmite, Branston Pickle, custard made from Devonshire cream, all sorts of pudding, those yummy British comfort foods. I felt fine, and had a wonderful time. 

When I got back, I thought Wow, I must be able to eat these things now! And so continued in vacation mode. A year later, I'm paying for it big time. My joints are inflamed, my gut is a mess, neck pain, tendonitis, my spare tire expanded, bloating, blah. I cannot seem to get my bad self back in check.

SO -- on to the Whole30! I've always been a from-scratch kind of cook, going to farmers' markets, CSA, buying meat straight from the farmer, etc. Vermont has a spectacular farm-to-table culture. My kitchen is well-stocked and appointed.

It's all about managing myself. I'm not much of a planner, so having the book to take me step-by-step is a GOOD THING. 

I'm psyched, and hoping my joints and my gut will start feeling better soon. But a little anxious about giving up certain comforts, like that wine in the evening, or yogurt with maple syrup for breakfast. And creemees! (Frozen custard or soft-serv in other regions)

I live with my husband and father, both of whom are supportive (and good cooks too) but have no intention of giving up their treats. 

I'm not typically much of a forum participant, but hoping to gain and lend support here for this Whole30 journey!

Blessings on us all,

Karen

I am starting on the 13th too! This will be my second round...the 1st in January was a huge success!! I managed to stay paleo for about 5 months or so after (allowing wine, chocolate, and the occasional cheat of a tiny bit of cheese) but I have fallen completely off of the bandwagon in the past month because of wedding season. So....here I am again!

Last time I had big NSVs and I can't wait for it again! Clear skin, high energy (I work with kids so this was probably the most important part!!), more regulated digestive system (I have IBS so this was the main reason for doing it in the first place for me). And of course I had the scale victory of losing 5 pounds (and probably more on plain paleo after but I haven't checked the scale in a longgggg time....another NSV!!) 

Everyone says each whole30 is a different experience so I can't wait to see what this one brings! 

Hi all,

I must have been living under a rock, because I never heard of Whole30 until a friend from work told me about it. I started reading the books and was just nodding my head as I read.

I am a total sugar addict, and have a horrible diet. I need this to help me get away from cookies, chocolate and other foods that are making me feel horrible.  I know it's not a weight-loss diet, but I also need to lose weight, and no matter how I try, I lose some, then gain it back. If I can get away from my bad habits, then I think I will be able to keep it off.

My friend at work already started it, but I am waiting until the date I picked because it's the day before my daughter's birthday, and I know I will want a piece of her ice cream cake, so no sense starting if I know I will cheat. I will spend the next week gathering all my supplies and getting rid of the bad stuff.

I'm nervous and I know it's going to be hard, but I think I can do it!

You totally can do THIS!! I am 12 days in on my 1st W30 & i have completely surprised myself!!! I hope you have started prepping you kitchen with the foods you plan to eat this week! That would be my 1st advice to give anyone!!! I come to the forums daily (hey they are free & so helpful!) Congrats on your 1st step to a healthier you!!

Hi all, I'm starting tomorrow too!! I just had a little girl 6.5 weeks ago and am breastfeeding. I'm looking to get healthy again and loose some baby weight. I'm doing a daily exercise program and yoga too. Looking forward to meeting new people and encouraging others. We can do this!!!

Count me in too. I tried back in March and failed..i had too much going on..i know it's just an excuse if i had really wanted to i could have found a way..it was just easier to stop i guess. I am so tired of looking in the mirror and hating myself. I am not that overweight but i just turned 50 on New Years Day and with menopause it seems all the weight is in my hips and tummy. There are a few races i would love to do in the next few months so here i am again...wish me lick :)

Joining in! I'm actually starting tomorrow because I had some cream in my coffee this morning, but today is a "practice run" (other than the creamer). I am not new to whole30. I've done a Whole30, Whole58, and a Whole100. I have celiac, hashimoto's, gastritis, and a crazy thyroid. I am NOT a moderator, so once I allow crap into my diet, I literally cannot stop eating it. I've been on a bad road for a few months now, and all the sugar and grains have agitated my hashi's and now my hair is breaking off and falling out. I've got to get it together and get back on track!

I started today too. R1 take 1,000. I can't seem to make it a full round. It's sad. I have even posted on this forum that I was going to start and I just never make it past a week or even less. A part of me wishes I had a personal friend that would do it with me for accountability. Good luck everyone!

I started today any this is my 1000 attempt too :).

I started a fb group because I tend to forget about the forums.... https://m.facebook.com/groups/1743270235960598?ref=bookmarks

I have some amazing banana bread sitting on the counter and I almost caved - but because I had started the group I didn't. So - I'd say that's a success :).

Having turkey and coleslaw for supper while I roast a potato. That is officially a food with no breaks but since I'm trying to eat more - just focused.

• Moderators

I started today too. R1 take 1,000. I can't seem to make it a full round. It's sad. I have even posted on this forum that I was going to start and I just never make it past a week or even less. A part of me wishes I had a personal friend that would do it with me for accountability. Good luck everyone!

I started today any this is my 1000 attempt too :).

I started a fb group because I tend to forget about the forums.... https://m.facebook.com/groups/1743270235960598?ref=bookmarks

I have some amazing banana bread sitting on the counter and I almost caved - but because I had started the group I didn't. So - I'd say that's a success :).

Having turkey and coleslaw for supper while I roast a potato. That is officially a food with no breaks but since I'm trying to eat more - just focused.

Do you have any idea why you've quit in the past? If you can figure out why and make a plan for how to deal with it, you're more likely to be able to keep going this time.

Day 4 and so far, so good. I was very tired yesterday, but a little better today.

I know you aren't supposed to step on a scale, but I did,** mod edit to remove scale discussion**

I'm just getting really sick of chicken and eggs. Today I printed out a bunch of recipes I'm going to make.

I started my first round on the 13th as well.  I've had the book (It Starts With Food) for ages, and I've read over the materials, but never really gave it a go.  Now I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.  And I think the straw that broke the camel's back was when my primary care doc said she wouldn't do a blood test to check my hormones because unless I'm trying to get pregnant, they don't matter and there's nothing that can be done if they are off.  WHAT?!  Oh and she's harping on my high cholesterol.  My numbers in the spring were:

• Cholesterol, Total 244.0 mg/dL
  • Triglycerides 53.0 mg/dL
  • HDL Cholesterol 72.0 mg/dL
  • VLDL Cholesterol Cal 11.0 mg/dL
  • LDL Cholesterol Calc 161.0 mg/dL
  • Glucose, Serum 83.0 mg/dL

So yes, my LDL is high, but my ratio is still good (3.39, which is under the ideal of 3.5).  But to blow off my request to check my hormones?  That really got me mad, and pretty much turned off to medical professionals as a whole.  So I started doing research and here I am.  While I would love to lose weight, my main concern is to feel better and improve my overall health.  And to be able to tell the doc to suck it!

So far, I'm not feeling great.  Aches and pains that I thought were a thing of the past are showing up (wrist tendon pain stemming from gluten (which I try to stay away from, but my dragons are bullies) and magnesium deficiency (I take 200 mg every night).  So I'm hoping it's deep seeded detoxing because I'm all out of ideas for feeling better.

Good luck to us all!

Joining in! I'm actually starting tomorrow because I had some cream in my coffee this morning, but today is a "practice run" (other than the creamer). I am not new to whole30. I've done a Whole30, Whole58, and a Whole100. I have celiac, hashimoto's, gastritis, and a crazy thyroid. I am NOT a moderator, so once I allow crap into my diet, I literally cannot stop eating it. I've been on a bad road for a few months now, and all the sugar and grains have agitated my hashi's and now my hair is breaking off and falling out. I've got to get it together and get back on track!

Nutpod creamers are approved. They are def not sweet but adds a nice creamy consistence to my ice coffee! http://whole30.com/2016/06/nutpods/ 

That's crazy not to check your hormones if you ask them to. Time to find a new doctor!

I started my first round on the 13th as well.  I've had the book (It Starts With Food) for ages, and I've read over the materials, but never really gave it a go.  Now I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.  And I think the straw that broke the camel's back was when my primary care doc said she wouldn't do a blood test to check my hormones because unless I'm trying to get pregnant, they don't matter and there's nothing that can be done if they are off.  WHAT?!  Oh and she's harping on my high cholesterol.  My numbers in the spring were:

• Cholesterol, Total 244.0 mg/dL
  • Triglycerides 53.0 mg/dL
  • HDL Cholesterol 72.0 mg/dL
  • VLDL Cholesterol Cal 11.0 mg/dL
  • LDL Cholesterol Calc 161.0 mg/dL
  • Glucose, Serum 83.0 mg/dL

So yes, my LDL is high, but my ratio is still good (3.39, which is under the ideal of 3.5).  But to blow off my request to check my hormones?  That really got me mad, and pretty much turned off to medical professionals as a whole.  So I started doing research and here I am.  While I would love to lose weight, my main concern is to feel better and improve my overall health.  And to be able to tell the doc to suck it!

So far, I'm not feeling great.  Aches and pains that I thought were a thing of the past are showing up (wrist tendon pain stemming from gluten (which I try to stay away from, but my dragons are bullies) and magnesium deficiency (I take 200 mg every night).  So I'm hoping it's deep seeded detoxing because I'm all out of ideas for feeling better.

Good luck to us all!

How is everyone doing today?  Tomorrow is day 10 I think. A third of the way there!

The hardest part for me is all this extra cooking. I'm using to cooking something easy for the kids and then I would just heat up leftovers if I didn't like what they were having.  Tonight I cooked some ground pork, onions, garlic, eggs, carrots, ginger,and a bag of shredded cabbage and added coconut aminos and it was delish! Now I have leftovers for tomorrow.

I am new to Whole30 and just reading the book. I felt excited at first, but now I'm kind of feeling "cold feet." I don't want to discourage anyone who is new to this, but just being honest.

After emotionally eating through a very stressful time in my life and an abusive relationship, I gained a lot of weight. I gained 27 lbs to be precise and still have pretty powerful sugar cravings. I have lost 11 lbs, and my weight isn't budging despite how hard I'm working.

I'm just afraid I will screw up on this thing.... I know that your mindset has to be divorced from expecting to screw up, but that's how I'm feeling right now.

• Moderators

I am new to Whole30 and just reading the book. I felt excited at first, but now I'm kind of feeling "cold feet." I don't want to discourage anyone who is new to this, but just being honest.

After emotionally eating through a very stressful time in my life and an abusive relationship, I gained a lot of weight. I gained 27 lbs to be precise and still have pretty powerful sugar cravings. I have lost 11 lbs, and my weight isn't budging despite how hard I'm working.

I'm just afraid I will screw up on this thing.... I know that your mindset has to be divorced from expecting to screw up, but that's how I'm feeling right now.

So, a couple of things here -- first, it's pretty normal to be nervous, especially if this is a big change in how you eat. Food does have a lot of emotional ties for some of us, and the thought of giving up things we love can be pretty overwhelming. It helps to remember that we're not asking you to give up any food forever. We're asking you to live without it for 30 days and see what happens. After that, you get to decide if you want to include it in your life going forward, and how often you might want to include it.  It can actually be kind of freeing when you realize you don't need to eat the doughnuts in the office breakroom just because they're there, or that it's okay to go out with your friends and not drink, or just that you can in fact live 30 days without dessert. But starting out, you don't see that, you just see giving up the things you're used to and enjoy, and it's kind of scary.

As for screwing up, the thing is -- Whole30 is tough. It's very strict. The rules are very black and white, and if you break them, we encourage you to start over. But, that's not because we're a bunch of harda$$es who are into torturing people -- it's because we know that you are absolutely capable of doing this, and you deserve to give yourself the chance to potentially change your entire relationship with food. You deserve to be able to deal with your emotions without gaining weight, you deserve to eat healthy, nourishing foods, you deserve not to have your cravings for sugar control your life. You deserve to spend 30 days working on getting yourself healthier.

And if you do mess up, it's not the end of the world. You'll still have spent however many days eating healthier foods and getting healthier. You're going to spend these days eating something, why not give this a try and spend them eating real foods that taste good and are good for you?

Day 12 and still hanging in there.  Aches and pains I haven't had in a long time, and even with a muscle relaxer and magnesium on deck, I slept like poop last night.  Headache plaguing me today, and terrible stomach pains after breakfast.  Based on what I have been reading today, I think I'm going to adjust to a low FODMAP approach for the duration.  Avocado seems to be doing bad things to my gut.

I'm not used to all the cooking, but since I've started...I've actually had the energy and desire to cook.  I always make sure to cook enough at dinner to have leftovers for lunch the next day.  And I have a batch of protein salad in the fridge just in case I don't feel up to cooking or something comes up.  Dinner is cooked, eaten and breakfast/lunch packed for the next day BEFORE I turn on the TV or plop my butt down.  Meal prepping is key!  I planned out through yesterday's lunch then saw something shiny before I finished the plan.  So for dinner last night, I was scrambling a little, but still managed to throw something together that was edible and on plan.  Time to buckle down this weekend and plan out the next 2 weeks so I can hit Costco and stock up : )

How is everyone else doing?

Archived