Day 6 - Is it okay to eat vegetarian lunches?

I'm on Day 6.  This has been challenging, but so far everything is basically working out.  I get cranky in the afternoons, I think because that's when I used to have my daily cookie and sugary drink, but the mood swing is over by dinner.

The one issue I'm having is eating so much meat (including chicken and fish).  I'm not a vegetarian, but I generally only have meat  at dinner or sometimes not at all.  During a typical week I probably eat 4-6 servings of meat. This morning for breakfast I heated up leftover turkey sausage, sweet potato, and egg casserole, and I basically gagged when I ate it and had to spit it out.

I think if I could eat a vegetarian lunch and breakfast every now and then it would make a huge difference in tolerating meat.  For breakfast I've been eating 2 eggs with ghee, spinach, mushrooms, and 1 compliant chicken sausage.  Could I change that to 3 eggs and leave out the chicken sausage?  For lunch, could I use 1/2 avocado and 1/4 cup almonds as my protein source and add to a salad with olive oil?

Thanks!

For the purposes of whole 30 l, avocado and nuts are fats, and really, nuts should be limited to a closed handful every other day if possible for a variety of reasons.

You could still have 3-4 eggs for your protein at breakfast/lunch if you don't want meat but a lot find that eggs aren't as satisfying as a protein source like other animal proteins.

I find leftover eggs to be gross, so there might be that too. 

Eggs can be your sole protein at breakfast; that's fine. 

As Chris mentioned, what about fish and seafood? 

Also, some folks find that ground meat is more palatable when they're not really in the mood to eat a big piece of meat. You can cook up ground turkey or chicken (or beef, but I've found chicken and turkey to be milder and less psychologically meaty) with some seasonings and put that on your salad. 

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!  Fish and seafood fall into the same category as meat for me (basically just animal protein in general), but I think if I stick to eggs at breakfast and try the ground meat suggestion I'll have an easier time.

Archived