Looking for support! :)

Hi everyone!

I completed my first Whole30 in June 2015, and ever since, I constantly have this program on my mind when I make food choices.  I do not adhere to the rules at all times, but it is my goal to eat Whole30 when I'm home, then reintroduce when I travel. I'm headed to Chicago in 12 days, and figured in the meantime, I can help bring my food brain back down to a good baseline by doing a Whole12. The last time I was in Chicago, my best friend and I were on the Whole30 - and it was a nightmare. We actually were yelled at (and had to speak to a manager) by a waitress that couldn't handle our "special orders". (We maybe didn't choose the right place to go, but the birthday girl had picking-rights  :) ). 

I work 12 hour shifts in the ER, and I have 5 coming up starting tomorrow. Now that I'm starting to get the hang of meal prepping, those long shifts are so much more manageable because it takes the guess work out of what my meals will be... BUT my forever not-whole3-approved BAD choices come from breakfast time. I have a TERRIBLE habit of stopping by a Bigby's, Starbucks, local coffee shop - you name it! - for a coffee and breakfast sandwich. I'm convinced that this habit alone has caused me to gain weight steadily in the past 5 years. I've read all the Egg or Eggless breakfast ideas, or the "you can have leftovers for breakfast" but I just haven't found that nutritious go-to breakfast meal that makes me break that awful habit. Suggestions? Favorite meals? I will say that I love Melissa's Chicken Hash - so any suggestions similar to that would be so welcomed! After my first whole30, I'm finally content with a black iced coffee instead of a mocha latte with 4 pumps of extra fat. Progress.  ;)

So like I said, whole12 currently in progress. Would love to hear what meals people have thrown together, or any good/easy breakfast ideas, and some support as my 5 12 hour shifts ahead just make me want to snack on the couch when I'm done. I also use instagram as a major source of finding recipes, so if you know a good handle, please let me know!

Angelina 

• Moderators

I go to Costco and buy the bag of mixed frozen stir fry veggies, dump a whack into a cast iron pan with a good blob of lard.  (I pick out the baby corns and toss them). Add powdered ginger, garlic powder, salt and pepper and a bit of sesame oil.  When the veggies are almost done I crack 3 eggs into the pan and scribble it all together until the eggs are juuuuust done... in bowl, dollop of mayo, ceaser dressing, ranch, guacamole... whatever I have around and voila!

My other fave breakfast is scrambled eggs on top of arugula that has been dressed with olive oil and rice wine vinegar and then I throw a handful of frozen blueberries on top... it's a bit weird but it tastes like pancakes!

My other fave breakfast is scrambled eggs on top of arugula that has been dressed with olive oil and rice wine vinegar and then I throw a handful of frozen blueberries on top... it's a bit weird but it tastes like pancakes!

I think it's so funny what w30 palettes get used to, and what we think tastes like other things that we previously would eat. I made "ranch" dressing using homemade mayo heavy on the lemon, mixed with garlic powder and dried parsley, and used it as a dip for shrimp cocktail. When someone else tasted it they were really surprised I thought the dip tasted just like ranch dressing. So either our taste buds have adjusted, or your salad-and-egg pancakes and my homemade mayo "ranch" are somehow magical in our mouths. :P

I love to make dinner leftovers into hash. Any protein, any veggie. Add a fried egg (I cook it in the same pan) and voila! This am made one with leftover lamb and brussel sprouts. Yum. When you cook dinner, make lots so you have leftovers. I just chop them up and add to hot pan with a little olive oil and clarified butter and cook just enough to heat them up and get a little crispy. You could also just heat in a microwave and pop into a lettuce wrap for lunch. Chopped onions are great added to the hash as are diced yam or potatoes. Serve with some fresh fruit and a delicious meal made in minutes. This actually works for any meal.

I'm a Mcdonalds breakfast junkie myself and am definitely missing my diet soda and egg mcmuffin to-go. I prepped this paleo sausage egg mcmuffin recipe from nom nom paleo for my breakfasts this week. I made several of the sandwiches last night and this morning I just grabbed one on my way out the door to work. I think tomorrow I'll throw a tomato and handful of baby spinach on the sandwich to get in some veggies.

My soda replacement is iced green tea (Trader Joe's has a really good unsweetened blueberry pomegranate one) or coffee blended with coconut cream.

• 4 weeks later...

I love to make dinner leftovers into hash. Any protein, any veggie. Add a fried egg (I cook it in the same pan) and voila! This am made one with leftover lamb and brussel sprouts. Yum. When you cook dinner, make lots so you have leftovers. I just chop them up and add to hot pan with a little olive oil and clarified butter and cook just enough to heat them up and get a little crispy. You could also just heat in a microwave and pop into a lettuce wrap for lunch. Chopped onions are great added to the hash as are diced yam or potatoes. Serve with some fresh fruit and a delicious meal made in minutes. This actually works for any meal.

I love this idea! Thanks!!!

Archived